[General]The Return of CHARACTER CONCEPTS

Moderators: Shroom Man 777, Ford Prefect

Heretic

Re: [General]The Return of CHARACTER CONCEPTS

Post by Heretic »

That has got to be the GREATEST hero origin story EVER conceived. A fresh take after seeing those grizzled generic heroes who are trying to seek revenge against injustice or the mob that killed his family tales all too many times.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Heretic wrote:That has got to be the GREATEST hero origin story EVER conceived. A fresh take after seeing those grizzled generic heroes who are trying to seek revenge against injustice or the mob that killed his family tales all too many times.
And of course, it's an origin story that wouldn't be possible without all those generic, justice-seeking heroes paving the way. ;)
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well yes. Still, I can't wait to see how this turns out. Due to the circumstances, I can see a reluctant personality, but all for different reasons (Peer pressure can make you a hero, kids! :twisted: )
-Joseph Campbell
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

ok beyond that snippet of the origin story i've not got much on this guy.

Put one thing I do want him to have is one of this eeiry thematic names heros and villians sometimes get. Like Otto Octavius becoming Dr Octopus. (i actually can't think of other examples. So maybe its not as prevalent as I think.) But fitting the theme of his unintentional heroism. His appropriate name is actually the opposite of what he is.

What I came up with was Doctor Ralph Dodo. Phd. in comic's style exotic particle physics.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Laughter? Feel free to share.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That is the greatest name ever.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Booted Vulture wrote:What I came up with was Doctor Ralph Dodo. Phd. in comic's style exotic particle physics.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Laughter? Feel free to share.
IDK, "Dodo" has more life-sciency* connotations to me, unless you want to buck that aspect of comics naming schemes as well. It sounds like the type of guy, if he were a mad scientist, who would be trying to reanimate fossils with cosmic radiation. Or amplify the faint electromagnetic life-echoes encoded in the decaying radiation of fossils and then download the signals into robot dinosaur bodies. One who heeds the whispers of the GHOSTS OF CHIXULUB or something.

Yeah, so not that kind of name.

Me being me, I am going to suggest some kind of connection between the character and Anthony Andrews/Hero Labs because the latter is a handy source of hi-spec power armor. Of course, this might dilute the theme of the character because budding geniuses coming up with unique technological creations in their backyards is another one of those comics things worthy of examination and perhaps deconstruction. Other people have done it before in Comix too, the building their own flying suit thing. Power armor was basically a mature technology by the late 20th century considering how far back its history goes in Comix, and even Andrews himself drew on a lot of existing technologies and concepts when he first became Doctor Difference.

Hmm, it's probably a good idea to come up with some distinguishing features for this guy's suit to make him distinctive, before we go too deeply into his personality.

P.S. I can't wait to see how he gets MAKS Mikoyan up his grille. Dude spent years perfecting what is basically a jetpack.

*"Life" haha
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hey, it's not just a jetpack, it's a wearable MiG, man.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Well yeah, but it's not even an Iron Man suit, man.
-

Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

maybe he can be OilPunk's sidekick

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:maybe he can be OilPunk's sidekick
Oil Punk clanks up to him and takes him under his wing because that's what experienced superheroes do to rookie superheroes, right?

This should prove hilarious.
-

Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There should be a pyramid networking scheme based on power armor.

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

IDK, "Dodo" has more life-sciency* connotations to me, unless you want to buck that aspect of comics naming schemes as well. It sounds like the type of guy, if he were a mad scientist, who would be trying to reanimate fossils with cosmic radiation. Or amplify the faint electromagnetic life-echoes encoded in the decaying radiation of fossils and then download the signals into robot dinosaur bodies. One who heeds the whispers of the GHOSTS OF CHIXULUB or something.
While I take your point. I went for Dodo as it was a flightless bird. Only other flightless birds I can think of are Ostrich and, i think, kiwi birds. Neither of which struck me as sound like a decent name.

Ralph is from me misreading the first part of the dodo's latin name; Raphus cucullatus

On related topics does Comix have any hero costume tailors like Marvel's Leo Zelinksy or less obscurely Edna Mode from The Incredibles? I'm thinking maybe one of the reasons Ralph looked like a hero was his flight suit is made out of standard superhero materials. Megamesh! Fantastafabric! etc. Stuff thats stretchly like spandex, soft like cotton, and as bulletproof as kevlar. That sort of thing.
Last edited by Booted Vulture on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I had an EVIL fashion mogul in plan once.

speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Dr Dodo just gives me a kind of impression of someone who would be more lab based, it's probably just because the Dodo has an image of being quite a sedentry animal.

Off the top of my head, living flightless birds include the Cassowary, Rhea and Emu, wiped out recently by man include the Great Auk and Moa and extinct ancient ones include Diatryma, Phorusrhacus and Gastornis.

Not sure if any of those sound any better.

Maybe he could be called the Kiwi Bird because he's from New Zealand and some unimaginitive superhero who was with him on his 'first mission' kept insisting that he needs a superhero name.

'I know, you're from New Zealand, aren't you?'

'Clever boy, someone's been watching Flight of the Conchords, I see'

'Um, maybe, anyway, you're from New Zealand, you can fly, how about The Kiwi Bird?'

'That's the worst name I've ever heard! Apart from the fact it sounds terrible, have you ever seen a Kiwi Bird? It's a... Fine, you know what, fine, whatever, I'll take it, now can you let me just get back to my, ah, secret identity?'

'Sure thing, Kiwi Bird! Until the cause of justice brings our paths together again!'

'Jumping Jesus...'

You could have people sort of assuming he built a power armour suit in order to be a superhero, I mean I gather that is why most people do it.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Random character concept, little more than a name at this stage, but what the hell:

MOTHER MAGNUM
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I was thinking about internet forums and Squirrel Girl and school and a comic about the children of villains that is in my school library, and I came with this sleep-deprived idea.

A group of superheroes form from an internet forum. Maybe a bunch of superhero groups form from forums but don't get into national headlines due to the sheer amount of news and bigger superheroes/villains out there. But I digress. So there is this group of superheroes, mostly teenagers and college students, some with powers and some without, and they want to serve and protect their local community. They are diverse and probably argue alot philosophically and politically, but at the end of the day they save a granny's cat from a rooftop and stop local crooks from terrorizing the street.

I will think of the types of characters when I get back from school.

I was also thinking the same idea as above, but with villains. Now, the FBI and stuff would probably have an eye on forums that claims to revel in villainy, so I was thinking that there are forums and websites in the DeepWeb that require special proxy software and navigating around pedophile sites to access. There the villains gather and chat and give tips. Maybe some of these young villains go to the same schools and classes as the heroes, usually with secret identities. Maybe a few even know each other behind the mask and are amicable in school but pound each other's face in during their heroic/villainous spree.

MOTHER MAGNUM
Tell me more, Czernborg. That name intrigues me.
-Joseph Campbell
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Heretic wrote:
MOTHER MAGNUM
Tell me more, Czernborg. That name intrigues me.
Um, I don't really have anything other than a name, I was hoping that you guys could help refine the concept.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

CZERNBORG~! READ ADVENT RAY (I believe it's your SecSan)! MY BODY IS ERECTED! YOU GOT666 POSTS OMG!

Anyway, I was thinking Mother Magnum as some crazy soccer mom who cheerfully goes around gunning criminal scum down. Maybe the revolver is cursed and causes her to go berserk, giving her accuracy, higher endurance, and quick reflexes.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Or it's a cursed gun wielded by VICTIM ZERO. Anyone that gets shot with its bullets is infected. The bullets will fester inside the victim, growing into guns that are lesser replicas of the original .357. In some kind of freaky body horror way those guns, when they erupt from the body, will coerce their (quite possibly zombie) victims to pick them up and do violence. Anyone shot by those guns will spread the infection, and so on.

GUNFECTION.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Heretic wrote:CZERNBORG~! READ ADVENT RAY (I believe it's your SecSan)! MY BODY IS ERECTED! YOU GOT666 POSTS OMG!
Never mind him, you comment too if you've read it!

The only thing I would add about MOTHER MAGNUM is to add more overt insect-like behavior. To the guns and bullet-grubs I mean. You know, like those wasps/flies that lay their eggs in living creatures?
-

Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Christ, people going Tetsuo Iron Man and their arms erupting in gun barrels in a spectacle of blood, bone and stamped steel, while ammunition belts start ripping out of their spines and they scream in horror as like grenade launchers erupts from their abdomens?

Holy fuck.

This... this is beautiful. A surreal and nightmarish take on gun culture!

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Possibly the wielder of this cursed weapon is a Dirty Harry pastiche from the 1950s, some intolerant jackass detective from Crowtalon City (because, let's face it, where else would something like this pop up?). This dude was infamous for gunning down suspects on the flimsiest of pretenses rather than bringing him in, but at some point he shot the wrong back alley voodoo queen who with her dying breath laid a horrible curse upon him. Cue demonically possessed handgun that detective guy cannot let go and spreads untold misery instead of order.

Sounds like an enemy for a Slinger and Jeff Amenophis teamup.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

I already did the haunted pistols of vengeance thing. :P In part as a Slinger villian. Though Slinger is already a villian.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

A whole bunch of his enemies should have cursed guns then! :P

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Mang that's boring like every superman villian using kryptonite all the time... oh wait! :P