"Whispers of Destiny" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 2 (Multiverse Space Opera Crossover)

Games and stories.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: "Whispers of Destiny" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 2 (Multiverse Space Opera Crossover)

Post by Shroom Man 777 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:42 pm

wellis wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm
After reading the SOTS Master List, and some of the discussion on the main SOTS page, I kind of feel a lot of stuff was added in more because it was cool than because it really fit together well.
Uh this multiverse-fanfic of Steve's isn't really centered on SOTS and the "SOTSverse" aka universe S0-T5 amounts to just a minor "cameo" verse anyway (I think the galactic-level multiple Cold Wars in SOTS precludes any single major power from simply just obtaining game-changing IUtech that might cause enemies to go all-out-war to prevent getting screwed over by possibly-undetectable or un-intercept-able IU-incursions).

What do you think are examples of "added in more because it was cool rather than because it fit well" here?

(And I wonder why reading the SOTS Master List and discussion thread would make you think this... and besides, SOTS is an original verse and not a crossover ;) )

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD

Steve

Re: "Whispers of Destiny" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 2 (Multiverse Space Opera Crossover)

Post by Steve » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 pm

wellis wrote:
After reading the SOTS Master List, and some of the discussion on the main SOTS page, I kind of feel a lot of stuff was added in more because it was cool than because it really fit together well.
I'm not necessarily going to have everything from that master list. But there are elements to the setting that I think will be of use in the arcs of nUF, and I already had permission to include the universe for light cameo stuff. In prominence it's not going to be too major - arguably Star Trek and Mass Effect will continue to have the biggest presences in the arc of all the non-original content - and I reserve the right to tweak what exists in the nUF version of SOTS to make it fit the Multiverse cosmology I'm creating.

For me the most important bits are the fate of Earth and some of the metaphysical stuff, since with the latter I want to explore the idea that what the Gersallians call swevyra, and what the Jedi would call the Force, is something more than either understand. That it's more versatile and diverse and varied than either discipline yet grasps, but at the same time they do have good ideas on what it is.

Hence my introduction of Kasszas in 2-07 along with the Harmonious Val-Drillim (Which Shroom tells me is being added to SOTS canon :D ). To showcase yet another view on this power and the abilities it can grant.

We'll be seeing even more diverse elements to it in Season 3, when I introduce one UotW in 3-04 and then induct another key player into the mythos in 3-15 and 3-16. 8-)
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik

wellis

Post by wellis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:42 pm
wellis wrote:
Uh this multiverse-fanfic of Steve's isn't really centered on SOTS and the "SOTSverse" aka universe S0-T5 amounts to just a minor "cameo" verse anyway (I think the galactic-level multiple Cold Wars in SOTS precludes any single major power from simply just obtaining game-changing IUtech that might cause enemies to go all-out-war to prevent getting screwed over by possibly-undetectable or un-intercept-able IU-incursions).

What do you think are examples of "added in more because it was cool rather than because it fit well" here?

(And I wonder why reading the SOTS Master List and discussion thread would make you think this... and besides, SOTS is an original verse and not a crossover ;) )
I guess what makes me feel the stuff is sort of squished together is the bragulans and their bragulan-ness, with their brag tech, and the Earthreign psi-tech that mutated peoples' thoughts and souls to the point it literally and metaphorically erased Earth. There's more stuff I guess, but I guess it just feels weird. Like the Oversoul stuff. I guess it's just feels sort of confusing and rambling a little, when reading through the main thread.

Part of me was wondering how Steve was going to be adding bits from it but he has explained that part.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:34 pm

This ought to be in the SOTS-thread really. :P

But anyway...
wellis wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am
I guess what makes me feel the stuff is sort of squished together is the bragulans and their bragulan-ness, with their brag tech, and the Earthreign psi-tech that mutated peoples' thoughts and souls to the point it literally and metaphorically erased Earth. There's more stuff I guess, but I guess it just feels weird. Like the Oversoul stuff. I guess it's just feels sort of confusing and rambling a little, when reading through the main thread.

Part of me was wondering how Steve was going to be adding bits from it but he has explained that part.
Yeah it is pretty weird and the SOTS thread's perpetual conversational approach does make it harder to keep track... even the Master List can only do so much.

We decided to go with really "soft" crazy "high concept" but also goofy but also srs bsnss but also really unhinged 70s style sci-fi playing-loose kind of things, like European-style Jodorowsky stuff and also Kirby-esque, Starlin-y Silver Age comic stuff, with the New Gods/Apokalips/Darkseid and Thanos/Infinity Gem/Celestials/Galactus setups. Or Doctor Who and even the original Star Trek.

And I can't emphasize enough the influence of Image's continuation of the Prophet comics. The psychic galactic tyrant Earth Empire is a direct inspiration. Brandon Graham is <3 And Saga.

I mean it's sci-fi, one verse or multi-verse, there should be more to it than just guys in suits in some Space America sending rank-insignia'd Commanderalissimos or Generadmirals to reenact Space Vietnam or other items from the checklist of US military folklore. We're not stuck to a TV budget so we can go weirder than "omg they're so alien because their foreheads are so ridgey but otherwise they're totally human! let's somehow sell First Contact as being so amazing when if they wore a hat on a crowded sidewalk we wouldn't even notice their alienness!"... and even then low-budget Doctor Who did magic with paper mache and puppets :D

And it's like how in Star Trek you've got the biomechanical totalitarian weird-science Borg and prankster-deity Q god-beings co-existing in the same 'verse :P
We are deliberately trying to figure out how polar opposite concepts exist in the 'verse, since we want totalitarian nukepunk stalinist space bears vs. psychic greyoid aliens with crystal thought-bomb WMDs, super-cyberpunk humanoids vs. super-Zerg swarms, etc.

IMO this is really nothing weirder than Star Trek or 40k... but I guess we don't have the enormous shoulder pads people normally expect :P

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 pm

The fate of Earth in the nUF version of SOTS is one thing I've changed, and it will play directly into the main story arc. :)
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I am super late to this party but, Steve, that last episode was a triumph, I put on all the hats I own and take them off to you, all at once :ugeek: :!:

Just, such DRAMA, such SUSPENSE, and honestly the fact that they are the Chosen Ones and the fate of the cosmos hangs in the balance is kind of a background detail, it was an epic battle with only four combatants for the life of their friend and the future of her home and it was, honestly, the most epic thing in the series so far :!:

So I eagerly await the end of the mid season hiatus (there are only two things I hate in this world, Mid season hiatuses and the Arge... Um, intolerance? :? ) and the return of the Starship Aurora!
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Yeah, the mid-season hiatus was necessary because of a bit of burnout, unfortunately, plus my desire to finish my "Rule The Waves" LP (it's on SDN and SB). And the second half of the season has, regrettably, been a major slog due to my home distractions (including the one called "Mass Effect: Andromeda"), my trouble with sleepiness during what should be my peak writing hours at work, and other general stuff.

Hopefully with 2-12 I can get flowing much more rapidly.

wellis

Post by wellis » Sun May 07, 2017 5:05 pm

How are you enjoying Andromeda Steve?

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat May 13, 2017 4:56 pm

It was fun, and some of the complaints about it are just the usual bullshit and why we can't have nice things.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri May 19, 2017 7:31 am

You know what? Fuck it. Fuck my distractions, fuck my inability to focus. I'm going to light a fire under my own ass.

I've spent the last ten weeks trying to write these episodes. I should be on fucking 2-15 by now, or at least finishing 2-14. But no. Distractions, sleepiness, it's all messed up my productivity, my pace. I'm still 60% or so through 2-12. This is un-fucking-cceptable. And yeah, that even accounts for that time I spent playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. And for the episodes all breaching 30k words again because fuck these stories are getting huge.

And then I recall how I did the last three episodes, finishing them on the weekends of their actual proper release because dammit, i was going to finish them on time. So you know what? Fuck it, that's what I'm going to push for again. Starting the first Friday of June, the second season is being released, even if I write the last five of them on their actual weekends of release because of this damned problem.

So here's the release schedule for the last half of Season 2, starting June 2nd!

2-10 "The Path Before Us" - June 2nd
Robert, Lucy, and Meridina each face new challenges with the changes in their lives; the Aurora crew are sent to parley with the Clans of Kerensky to prevent a new outbreak of war.

2-11 "Under Fire" - June 9th
Leo faces tough decisions while working in a field hospital under Nazi attack.

2-12 "Common Ground" - June 16th
The Koenig comes to the assistance of alien wanderers during training exercises with the Citadel races; Robert and his crew attempt to negotiate peace with the Batarian Hegemony.

2-13 "A Tale of Two Sisters" - June 23rd
Angela and Caterina help a group of alien-seeking 21st Century Londoners being stalked by an alien monster.

2-14 "Solarian Nights" - June 30th
The Aurora crew visits the city-moon of Solaris and gets caught in a game of intrigue with an enigmatic billionaire.

2-15 "Blast from the Past" - July 7th
The Aurora crew must protect an Earth seeking Alliance membership from a powerful empire.

2-16 "All That Remains" - July 14th
Robert and Meridina seek out the rebel telepath Lyta Alexander to learn more about the Darglan and their connection to the First Ones.

2-17 "Between Two Fires" - July 21st
The Aurora crew struggle to repair their crippled ship while helping the alien traveler known as the Doctor investigate a mysterious army of ghosts.

2-18 "Choices" - July 28th
Caught in the crossfire between the Daleks and Cybermen, Robert and his friends face decisions that will change their lives forever.