"The Coming Storm" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 3 (Multiverse Space Opera Crossover)

Games and stories.
wellis

Re: "The Coming Storm" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 3 (Multiverse Space Opera Crossover)

Post by wellis » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:38 pm
wellis wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 am
Steve wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm
BTW, did you recognize Zack's drinking partner? :D
Who?
The clues are there. Guess. :mrgreen:
Jim Raynor!?

Tomyris

Re: "The Coming Storm" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 3 (Multiverse Space Opera Crossover)

Post by Tomyris » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:26 pm

speaker-to-trolls wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm
^Very good points all around.

I also found it interesting that the War master compares them to Nemo since, if memory serves, Jules Verne presents a him as an admirable man , just misguided (and I think one of the main things he is supposedly misguided about is that he opposes imperialism) .

Shroom I must agree the crew of the avenger don't seem like the equals of the main cast, intellectually or morally. Maybe there will be a flashback episode where we see their fall from grace?
The reference about Nemo in a negative sense is intentional. Just because aliens may be well-read in human culture for reasons of strategy, politics, personal relations, etc, doesn't mean they're going to understand the stories the same way, because they have completely different touchstones and thought processes. Nemo is an example of the wild, unrestrained threat of anarchy despite his refined behavior -- a pretension of personal character, not a sign of inner strength or purpose of will, to a Dilgar. To Shai'jhur the Avenger crew perfectly meets the definition of the Nautilus, because she doesn't see Nemo's heroic qualities, she sees him as a kind of Ubermensch figure. She's read the story, but she doesn't understand it the same way we do.