Heretic's SITCOM RP!

Games and stories.
Heretic

Heretic's SITCOM RP!

Post by Heretic »

I have this brilliant idea that just struck me while I was looking at various character surveys in Deviantart:

So yeah, those RPs with all our characters from various universes going into those single universe-and-escape plots probably didn't work well, but damn, how about we have characters in a situation where we all live in a mansion/dorm complex/neighborhood, and, like, yeah!

Sure, our various timelines and stuff might make this tough, but maybe we can have a schizo-tech neighborhood, maybe it's in an AU Comix! universe, or maybe we can create characters specifically for this RP!

Maybe we should split into dorm groups or household buddies in order to ease up the confusion. These groups are the people who we interact with the most, though we can interact with other groups, as well as NPCs! We can go Kaiju-hunting in Japan with magical girlfriends, go to beerfests in Germany, take a photo-shoot in London, fight on a floating fortress against an arch-nemesis, or maybe just chill at home, doing crazy stuff!

What'dya think, fellas?! *Collapses* :mrgreen:
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Dakarne

Re: Heretic's SITCOM RP!

Post by Dakarne »

Played entirely for comedy? This might be potentially fun.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Hey, why not? It could actually be useful as a way of building up a character's 'voice' if you intend to use them in something else or multiple other things, by trying to make them act true to character, even if making some changes for purposes of teh lols.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

So, if we are gonna (ever) do this RP, it'll need some game rules...

1. No longer evoked. maybe on a later date when control is needed.

2. There are two types of NPCs: There's the No-one-Cares-About NPCs (NOCAs) and then there's YOUR* NPCs (*Your Own Universal Rabbit** **not necessarily a rabbit). The NOCAs are the generic npcs that you use to interact with and occasionally kill. The usual. YOUR NPCs though are special. You get two slots by default. These guys (gals) are kinda like secondary main characters, except they aren't in the center view as your hero. They are things like Best friends, spouses, mates, special pets (you can have a nigh-indefinite amount of small pets...within reason), slaves/servants/friends (same thing), etc. They can't be killed without the player's permission. And if one of YOUR NPCs dies, their slot is open. If you want more, give a good reason. Also, you can have 1 or no YOUR NPCs as well, if you choose to take the loner path (or decided to go with kittens instead of rabid polar bears.)

3. ?

4. Profit.

5. Standard character creation:
Name: (What do your friends call you?)

*Picture: (If you guys are animu fangirls, post) *Optional.

Race: (If we allow otherkin/robots/xenos to appear)

Universe: (If we are doing that style)

Quick bio: (A quick sketch. Where were you born, how did you get to where you were, any particular quirks or noteworthy events in past?)

Skills: (What are you good at in life* *Life™ not guaranteed for everyone. WoW haxors, Halo teabaggers, and people who spend their day arguing about Y7-G rated shows,games, cards games, and toys need not apply)

Superpowers: (If we decided to go Comix!)

Special Perks: (for a non-Comix, non-crossover universe universe. )

YOUR NPC: 1. (Give description on your first one)
2. (Give a description on your second one.)
3+. (You better give a damn good reason, punks.)

4. If you got a suggestion for awesomeness, please state it in the OOC thread.

5. Removed. Same with Rule number 1.

6. You can import or export your characters out once we set the setting. You can put a person from your world inside this RP, or if you made them on this board, you can use yours for your world. They can be adjusted to fit the technological level.

7. No godmodding, of course. And that includes protecting YOUR NPCs.
Last edited by Heretic on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Heretic, you are so genius! Seriously. Count me in. This is going to be great! :mrgreen:

(The fact that we're not fighting shit, but just going Big Brother or Survivor or whatever is awesome.)

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

I call dibs on the annoying, slightly eccentric slacker. :D
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Alright guys, you get the choice: You can place your own universe character in this game, or make your own. Do you want superpowers permitted, no superpowers, or superpowers only for giggles?
-Joseph Campbell
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

I'm pretty sure a no-superpowers game would void most of Comix. Therefore it would probably be a bad idea, as Comix would probably be where most of the really fitting characters would be from.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

True. Comix is a staple of OZ-O1, so no-superpowers would be far-fetched, especially when the characters' powers make their personality as well.

Alright, so I guess superpowers are allowed, if the majority votes for a crossover with Comix as well.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The point of the game isn't for fighting anyway, but for just... roleplaying senareos and 'socialization' of whacky characters for funness. It's more like that ridiculous cartoon Drawn Together, with whatshisname, Captain Hero. So the lack or presence of superpowers won't be so important compared to how we roleplay and screw around. :D

I'm going with a John Baylor, as usual. :P

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

I would also argue in favour of having nukes available. I wouldn't utilise them myself, but you'd be disqualifying characters from Snow Crash via the bannination of nuclear weapons. And that's just terrible.

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well, I'm a little worried people might get too drunk and start playing Battleship (with nukes). Just make sure you leave enough Earth for everyone to have fun in. The no nuke/superweapons rule has been lifted. Pig out, people. I'm gonna take a while to choose.

Edit: I decided to lift this because, meh, we need big plotlines to party in, and what's better than huge island fortresses.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Dakarne wrote:I would also argue in favour of having nukes available. I wouldn't utilise them myself, but you'd be disqualifying characters from Snow Crash via the bannination of nuclear weapons. And that's just terrible.
God, Dak, you are so obtuse. :P

Heretic clearly wants to avoid overpowered craps where people just pull out crappy powerful things so they can fuck around with impunity and piss everyone off. :P

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well, I decided if everyone had to be dicks, at least they can be nuclear dicks. :lol: But if it gets too much, i'll throw the Hammer of Control that I secretly stole from Siege down.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Name: Annava.

Picture: Image

Race: Xeno hybrid human thingy

Universe: Hardcore Way

Quick bio: Born in a genetic engineering facility in a tube, Annava was born to be the Gloguk's (an imperialistic parasitic empire. Humans joined it) finest supersoldier/infiltrator, but it wasn't without drawbacks, like peculiar habits and strange interests. Annava struggles to keep her personal quirks out of the professional workplace. Her trademark equipment is her biological armor, her multi-purpose weapon system, and her robotic drone friend GoBo, who helps with infiltration and recon.

Skills: Jack of all Trade, Master of none. Except Ping Pong, where Annava is skilled in all special moves, interrogated out from all the ping pong masters.

Superpowers: Pukes out black malleable goo which can be tinkered with to make various elements. Semi-super sight, hearing, speed, strength, beauty, endurance, and etc.

Special Perks: Good at Ping Pong, and can hold her drink, and is extremely lousy at karaoke that it's a perk in itself. (Now thinking about it, I don't know why special perks are here. If anyone can differentiate perks and skills, let me know. If not, just forget about this one)

YOUR NPC:
1. GoBo (Goggle Bot): A hovering binocular/sensor drone, GoBo is Annava's personal recon tool, and a patrol dog for the premises. A drone with a lame sense of humor, his motivation is find the perfect comeback to complete his existence. Armed with a laser for self defense, and can go pretty high in the air.
2. Shinji Kawasaki: A teenage Japanese boy, he has a knack of getting in trouble with all sorts of shit, from girls wanting to be a harem around him everywhere he goes, facing mecha Sumos, fighting demons with cute Shinto priestesses, and generally get stuck in a thousand Visual Novels. Things went weirder when a white red-haired crazed chick from space and "the future" came and took him under her wing to the alternate dimension, where now he is a student at a local high school. He thought that aside from being kidnapped by a crazy space chick that for once didn't abduct him for "love" reasons, his life was gonna be normal again. Until he found out that a bunch of Japanese foreign exchange students were sent to his school...most of them girls.

*I decided to use Annava because I wanted to practice using chick characters, and I wanted to redefine my favorite (and possibly currently the only) HWverse staple character with some craziness that I have concocted.
Last edited by Heretic on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I'd love to join this RPG... Except I literally do not have the foggiest what it's about. Can someone enlighten me as to the precise details of what this game would be about? I mean, I read something about "wildly disparate characters somehow living in the same neighborhood" or something, but then that hardly goes together with "fighting giant Kaiju", right? And what would they be doing anyway? Can someone give me an elevator pitch that's at least semi-coherent? Pretty please? With sugar on top?
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well, it's basically where a bunch of crossovers go and live their casual life together in one big mansion (or in a special neighborhood. I don't know which one would be much more easier to handle) and interact with each other. The plan is that instead of everyone interacting in the face of danger, what if they all interacted during their peacetime life? With a side dish of fun danger along the way?

The premise, basically, is people chilling. And fighting kaiju for sport. And maybe a little romance. Plotlines are secondary, but if it needs to get moving, I'll gladly throw something out there.

I hope my summary that i wrote half-asleep suffice.
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

From what I imagine, I would probably characterize the setting as more of an appartment. The PCs and NPCs are tenants from all over (the Omniverse) and there is probably a landlord who (somehow) puts up with them and (somehow) accepts rent in whatever valuable items of exchange the tenants happen to use.

The reason for the characters to be present are because they live there, or find it convenient to be seen living there. Some might be relatively normal people with day jobs or classes to go to, some use the place as the domicile of their secret identities while they sneak out via the window at night to fight crime, and some might just use their room to crash for a few weeks between interdimensional viking raids. The landlord probably doesn't ask many questions. Nothing prevents the characters from leading exciting lives, but it mostly happens somewhere else in the Omniverse and away from the appartment.

I think this is a workable setting, though it might raise some questions about common assumptions. For example, take the Snow Crash character Dakarne brought up. How would the landlord deal with one of his rooms being occupied by a sovereign power? Does he allow nukes to be brought into the premises after 10pm? If not, why would the tenant listen to him (even assuming that he is from one of those more civilized universes where people understand binding contracts and the functioning of free markets backed by the rule of law)
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Invictus wrote: I think this is a workable setting, though it might raise some questions about common assumptions. For example, take the Snow Crash character Dakarne brought up. How would the landlord deal with one of his rooms being occupied by a sovereign power? Does he allow nukes to be brought into the premises after 10pm? If not, why would the tenant listen to him (even assuming that he is from one of those more civilized universes where people understand binding contracts and the functioning of free markets backed by the rule of law)
We could play it like Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, where god-like powers are frequently cock-blocked some comedic way or another. Or, you know, go full surreal silliness and just have everything else not matter in the apartment because, "Mister, you may be some sort of omnipotent being where you're from -- but when you're in my apartment under my roof you play by my rules or, so help me, I'll take your omnipotent head and shove it up your omnipotent ass so far you'll be omniscient seeing through your omnipotent mouth!" :lol:
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

As long as we're at this, I vote to have a landlady instead of a landlord. Somehow, a formidable old lady being an invincible rent-collector makes more sense than a formidable old man without the formidable old man being some kind of secret double god-wizard.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Good. Girls are scarier. :D

I wonder which iteration of John Baylor I'll use. The deranged JC Baylor who Angry Turbaned Musslemen are shooting snakes at... SOTS Baylor? SDNW4 Replicant Baylor? CSW Baylor? Maybe they will be COMBINED BAYLOR!

Or...

NO MORE BAYLORS!

Must think of good characters to use.

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Y'know, apartments isn't such a bad idea. We can have our own sovereign space in order to keep ourselves from causing reality crap from happening that might, y'know, become a nuisance. Various levels of insanity can be kept inside our own rooms, while keeping it down to a manageable level outside. Usually.

A scary landlady, eh? I think that would be an awesome idea. She should be from Eastern European descent or something, with the funny spice smell and all.

Yeah, you guys are lifesavers. I was gonna think of room mates, but then that would have been a disaster. WHere would I have been without you guys ? (Answer: Still writing GRIM SERIOUS self-centered war stories, in block paragraphs and horrible character development* *No character development)
-Joseph Campbell
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

So is the system basically that any weaponry or superpowers don't work if the scary landlady doesn't want them to, and she doesn't want them to if they inconvenience her. Cool, seems fair.

How much sense would you say these characters have to make in the context of wherever they live? By which I mean do we want to have any kind of developed concept for what this place is and what the world around it is like, or just leave it as vague as possible for maximum storytelling possibilities and potential craziness.

I probably won't join in with this at least for a while due to A) My ridiculous lack of followthrough on most projects and B) My current inability to think of a character interesting and off the wall enough to be appropriate for this game.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well, it's in Earth. As for the style, I think a Comix! style Earth (where various weird tech and stuff) are the norm, but generally a post-information age world. This allows for an understandable world, while allowing for some of our universes' technology to come in.

And you don't need ridiculous characters to play! SRSS BSNSS characters are also welcome. What's a crazy world without those people who try to bring sense and order to their surroundings, facepalming when their goofy friends do something stupid, and generally being the voice of reason.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe we can earn money or points in this strangereal world by having our characters do CHALLENGES! Individual challenges or team challenges! That the game master, or other players, can control!

The apartment setting is great. Why? Because:

The setting could be a weirdo pseudo-Comix Earth. Which is stuck in an interdimensional rift that makes it possible for ALL verses to somehow intersect. So, for example, if I use CSW Baylor then maybe one day it is possible that KGB spies from the CSWverse may come to our apartment one day and start snooping through our trashes. Or if it's a Comix character, then a supervillain may come harass us or whatever. Or, since Heretic is using his Annava chick, then maybe some space dicks from the Hardcore Way can come around.

You know. Funs.