Possible RPG game

Games and stories.
Fingolfin

Possible RPG game

Post by Fingolfin »

Hi all, Siege and I have been discussing and we have been thinking of a possible planetary wide setting where there are many nations/factions and people would manage the various nations/factions.

One possible setting we discussed was a scenario where there are nations and factions where there's a certain asymmetry in terms of tech and population level. For example, we could have say a super high tech nation versus a bunch of ragtag pirates and such who are so numerous and capable the high tech nation has extreme trouble trying to deal with the "nuisance". With this setting in mind, we were thinking of nations which are say based off historical situations, but with a possible different tech level.

All this is not set in stone yet, and yes, this is in the same vein of the STGOD games on SDN. However, do note that we intend to exercise extreme quality control, and anyone we deem fit to be utterly incapable of contributing meaningfully to the game will be given the boot. Many of us still remember the crap from the last STGOD game and we are loathe to relive the crap.

So we can discuss away and if anyone has interesting enough ideas, we can talk about it.
There is only war.
Czernobog

Re: Possible RPG game

Post by Czernobog »

Sounds okay.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I'm pretty interested, as I'm currently in a literary hiatus in this site and need something to amuse me. Be warned though, I can occasionally have moments where my tongue bursts my cheek in a sense of satire and ridiculousness. But rest assure, I will swear to maintain the quality you demand.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Lelouch vi Britannia

Post by Lelouch vi Britannia »

How large a tech disparity are we talking about here? F-16s and MiG-29s versus F-86s and MiG-15s? Newly-commissioned Arleigh Burkes going up against tricked-out Fletchers that have been sailing for 70+ years? Tank battles involving Tigers versus Leopards?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

"YOU JERK! YOU WOULDN'T KNOW SEXY IF IT BIT YOU!" - Erica Hartmann, Strike Witches
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

First of all we'd of course encourage folks to come up with their own stuff so any potential scenario isn't quite as specific as "Tiger v Leopard" ;). Secondly a Tiger-analog might not hack it but a Ratte might, if you catch my drift. Chief aim is not to get bogged down in onerous details, and to allow folks freedom to come up with a wide range of things, be they sixties tank hordes, cutting edge mercenary aces or vaguely near-future cybertech... What have you.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

I think at the base level, we expect some kind of mutual balancing of everything. THis game isn't really about power gaming but rather doing whatever what we feel like doing, i.e. letting the creative juices run free rather than getting bogged down by an endless litany of rules.

For example, I was toying with the idea of creating a hyper futuristic Japan and all, with walkers and a large carrier fleet and all, but the generals are so fucking incompetent (with all the Japanese WWII biases), they get bogged down by hordes of Vietcongs.
There is only war.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

So is this based in the real world or in a fantasyesque world with similar technologies? If it is in the real world, I'll totally be Japan this time. Never get to play my home country in these RPs for some reason. Is there a standard way of creating our organization (name, government style, base of operations, history, objectives, etc)?

EDIT: until I realized Finolfgin was toying with a Japanese polity. So stupid of me to not read properly and assume stuff. Terribly sorry. Maybe I could be a zaibatsu trying to get more control of the government and/or Japam can be split into two nations due to some event in history. There was an anime like that I think. But then again, I could totally do the Chinese mainland again :twisted:
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

We haven't decided if we'd use a real world map yet but probably not if I had my way. I'd prefer a made-up map myself.

As for fantasyesue technologies, well, I'd say go wild but keep away from outrageous magics and other setting-breaking stuff. No need to keep it perfectly plausible exactly but don't be wonky. Wherein 'wonky' is a definite case of 'I knows it when I sees it', you know?
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Lelouch vi Britannia

Post by Lelouch vi Britannia »

...Well, as long as I can get up to some proper Ace Combat-themed shenanigans with superplanes and lasers and such, count me in.

As for the Japan issue, SDNW2 had at least three different nations based on Japan, and it worked reasonably well there (even though one of them was inactive for much of the game, another one was equally influenced by contemporary Scandinavia, and the third was Japanese-influenced in the sense that it was a jumble of gratuitous anime and Japanese video game references). There should more than enough room here for multiple Japan-inspired polities, especially if we're free from the constraints of a real-world map.

By the way, Heretic, that anime you're referring to is most likely The Place Promised in Our Early Days.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

"YOU JERK! YOU WOULDN'T KNOW SEXY IF IT BIT YOU!" - Erica Hartmann, Strike Witches
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

I can almost imagine myself doing the following headline:

Our Fearless Troops Prevail over the Gaijin!

When in actual truth, it was such a Pyrrhic victory because half the army was taken out when a lone Vietcong managed to kamikaze and release the nuke he was carrying. :lol:
There is only war.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well if it is in the real world, I'm content with only having the Kyushu prefecture if Finolfgin is okay with me having part of Japan.
-Joseph Campbell
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Heretic wrote:Well if it is in the real world, I'm content with only having the Kyushu prefecture if Finolfgin is okay with me having part of Japan.
Dude, we could create multiple Japans.. No one is going to be picky about it. As Langley pointed out, there have been multiple spins on the same country in previous SDN games.
There is only war.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fuck you guys. I am so gonna pull a Ford Prefect and do a nation ruled by kung fu martial arts prowess. :P

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Fuck you guys. I am so gonna pull a Ford Prefect and do a nation ruled by kung fu martial arts prowess. :P
SHROOMANIAN STICKBEATING MARINES!!!
There is only war.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I intend to play as His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Egon Drago. Bring on the paranoia, secret police and chestful of medals!

Off naked Chatham show,
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Siege wrote:I intend to play as His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Egon Drago. Bring on the paranoia, secret police and chestful of medals!

Admiral General Aladeen of the Republic of Wadiya!
There is only war.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

well I was wondering if it was in the real world and thus might be an issue of territory if both of us were aiming for the Japanese islands. If it's in a fictional map then I doubt i would be too much of an issue.

EDIT: I was also wondering what type of crap was associated with your last game, as I want a sense of do's and don'ts in this one. One thing I'm probably sure about is the restriction or outright ban on nukes.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I think most of said crap can be chalked up to "failure to communicate" with a side order of "play to win" rather than "play to play". As long as you try to have a bit of fun and we remember to ask if something's not precisely clear we should be just dandy.

I don't mind nukes myself, by the way. Worst case scenario with them is that after some time our armies are bands of post-apocalyptic Road Warriors roaming the nuclear winter. Well hey, that's just fine with me :). Of course, if other players are more comfortable leaving them out that's alright with me too.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Here's some loose ideas for my glorious nation :).

Novimaestrazhia

Novimaestrazhia is vast country of mountains and forests that used to be known simply as Maestrazhia, before the Upturn and the Great Wars, the False Dynasty and the subsequent bloody revolution and decades-long civil war. When the wars finally burned themselves out it was the iron regime that controlled the land, helmed by the great dictator, His Excellency, President-for-Life, Field Marshal Egon Drago.

The new government desires nothing short of absolute control. Egon Drago is a highly egotistical and supremely paranoid man. He rarely appears in public and obsesses over his hermetic quest for control and immortality. Drago's regime pursues a doctrine of 'Social Apotheosis', a strange, not particularly social, and occasionally contradictory set of policies that aim to curb foreign cultural influences and enforce ideological loyalty to the regime by fostering a cult of personality around the glorious leader. Drago and his inner circle of trusted lieutenants are obsessed with the twin quests for control and immortality. The regime has renamed the capital city Dragograd in the dictator's honor and ordered the erection of a multitude of statues of his visage as well as memento gloria, occult temple-like monuments dedicated to the memory and acts of Drago. The Novimaestrazhian government sponsors expeditions across the world looking for lost mystical artifacts that may make Drago's dreams of world domination come through.

Despite the government's best efforts at establishing total control however there still is resistance. There are underground newspapers and even illegal radio stations, and the mountainous southern provinces are a hotbed of rebels, bandits and loyalists to the previous president. Efforts to root out these guerillas are hindered by Drago's own paranoia: units of the state military receive training and equipment depending on their perceived loyalty; the least loyal units are much less well trained and outfitted than elite regime protection units -- but the elite are rarely allowed to deploy far away from the capital for any length of time, for fear that field commanders might get funny ideas, so most occupation garrisons in the south are themselves of dubious loyalty. In the past entire garrisons have defected or sold their weaponry en masse, furthering the state of unrest in the south. This unrest in turn suits the regime well, as it can use the continuous revolts in Special Action Zone South to justify its permanent state of semi-martial law. All units of the Novimaestrazhian army are intensely scrutinized by a political commissariat, and the family of high ranking officers are under surveillance by the secret police, a state of affairs which does not exactly enhance the effiency of the military.

In terms of foreign affairs Novimaestrazhia is highly withdrawn, maintaining only the barest minimum of relations with other states. All media are controlled by the Internal Ministry, all critique is considered disloyal and the subversives who spread it are ruthlessly persecuted by the secret police. Despite the relative poverty of much of the country the government engages in vast and wasteful 'patriotic' construction projects to boost the credibility of the regime. The nation is comparatively poor and its economy is inefficiently run, but it is mostly autarkic and if deemed necessary the state can bring vast amounts of resources to bear on any problem. The Drago regime is involved in exporting its unique brand of revolution across the globe however, supplying weapons, military advisors and very occasionally troops to warlords and militias willing to pay lip service to the wildly inconsistent ideals professed by the dictator. Hail Drago!

Off naked Chatham show,
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Alright, here's my own play (though I admit I shameless ripped the Japanese Anime Last Exile for much of the inspiration):

Dai Nippon Teikoku

Empress "Shinigami" Sadako

The post-futuristic Japan, it is ruled by the sadistic tyrant Empress "Shinigami" Sadako. She ruled the Empire after seizing the throne from her Father. The Empire had been wrecked by Civil War for the last 2 decades, and after the two years of inept leadership by her father, a palace coup with the Guild and the military backing Sadako with the aim of restoring Dai Nippon Teikoku to its former glory was launched against the former Emperor. To date, her vicious and brutal suppression of the rebellions states of the Dai Nippon Teikoku has born fruit; more than half the rebellious states have been pacified and returned to Imperial control, while the days of the remaining states are numbered.

Dai Nippon Teikoku's power structure is stratified as with the former Imperial Japan; at the summit is the Guild, the protector and the custodian of the technology of the Dai Nippon Teikoku. Decades of war has since led to the loss of lots of technology, and the Guild seeks to restore itself to its former glory by rediscovering and recovering much of its lost technology. The loss is evident: Much of the population does not have access to some of the former high technology, such as floating cities, but instead live in ground based cities with soaring skyscrapers like the cities of the early 20th century. Much of the old floating cities have since sunk to the ground because of the inability to maintain them. The Guild instead has to shepherd its resources to service what they could service. Nevertheless, they still retain much of their technology enough to create extremely advanced sky battleships to aid in the Empress' war.

Beneath the Guild is the military, which is comparable to most nation state militaries. They operate sky battleships and carriers which utilize the engines used in the advanced Guild battleships, but their weapons are more conventional, using Claudia imbued liquid propellant to power and expel large artillery projectiles to pummel enemy. Nevertheless, they still wield great influence in the Empress' court and endeavour to fulfill her wishes.

Naturally, there is a mercantile class that funds the Empress war efforts. Supporting the Empress is the Guild Keipetai which polices the population and suppress dissent. It is also instrumental in providing vital intelligence regarding the Empire's enemies.

For the most part, Dai Nippon Teikoku concerns itself mostly with its affairs, though they have holdings in Manchuria where they mine valuable minerals to produce Claudia which forms the basis for much of the technology of the Guild.
Last edited by Fingolfin on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is only war.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

... so, uh, are we using the Earth as a map or not?

Off naked Chatham show,
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Siege wrote:... so, uh, are we using the Earth as a map or not?
Well, I can use just about anything. (It's just a rough guide)
There is only war.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Well, alt-Earth as a map is kind of growing on me. If we end up doing that I figure Novimaestrazhia is a Trans-Caucasian place, located somewhere along the lines of Turkey-Iran-Turkmenistan.

Off naked Chatham show,
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I will use Australia, as if Australia had been hit by an asteroid and now resembled the continental version of an asteroid belt.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Registering tentative interest in cyberpunk superjail Tibet.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER