"Seeking the Past" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 1

Games and stories.
Steve

Re: "Seeking the Past" - "Undiscovered Frontier" Season 1

Post by Steve »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Also...

Why *are* those bases underground anyway, I mean aside from fossilization and millions of years of whatever, and why the curiously convenient entry points... unless the base somehow subterraneanly shape-shifted in accordance with how the sediment over it was shifting...

And were Robert and the Aurora crew the first-ever post-Darglan folks to activate one such site and harness its powers? Maybe elsewhere in the multiverse, some dudes also made a coalition of interdimensional factions... did so like thousands of years ago? Before they settled to administering their territories and maybe due to some "distance" limitation between dimensions? Some dimensions are further away from the others. And certain dimensions in proximity to each other show shared traits (humans... warp-phenomenon) while dimensions in the other side of the multiverse have different phenomenon (no humans whatever, weird ass hyperspace stuff...)?
Already answered these questions. As for the naqia charges... basically, they were trying to turn naquadah into naquadriah on a small scale. But it didn't work, their mechanism couldn't make the change happen.
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik
Steve

Post by Steve »

Robert greeted the newcomers as they arrived in the Control chamber. Admiral Adama had come down. So had Commander Sisko. Yonatan Shaham and Madeleine Laurent arrived right before Zack did.

Zack went up to Robert with open arms. Robert was quick to accept the hug from his friend. "It's good to see you," he said.

"Good to see you." Zack gave him a careful look. "Are you okay? There's something different now…"

"You could say that."

Nearby Jarod and Cat were going over the controls to the Facility. Julia was standing beside him and looking up at Control. "So you don't remember?"

"I am afraid I do not," he answered her.

"I'm sorry for you."

"It is quite alright." Control nodded. "I remember enough to know you and the others have done the Darglan proud. This new alliance you have formed is everything they wished to see come about."

"I'm more concerned with what attacked this place," Jarod said. "Because whoever did it actually managed to force a lock into the jump gates in the docks." He motioned to the debris outside, within the zero-G drydock field at the middle of the dock area. "It's no wonder the Darglan decided to wipe out everything in here."

Sisko looked over one of the interfaces. With power partially restored it responded to his touch, altering from Darglan text to English. "Interesting technology. Some sort of neural interface?"

"Yes, Commander Sisko," Control answered.

"So one of these is where it all began." Adama continued to look around. "This entire Multiversal Era of yours."

"Pretty much," Cat remarked.

"The old one was brighter," Madeleine stated. "And more hospitable. This place feels like a graveyard."

Robert knew what she meant. Even more now. The energy inside him felt a cold sensation in the air. Fear and terror, pain, rage, and sheer destructive hate. Some of it was fresh, an imprint left by the hateful fanatics of the SS. But some was far, far older. And some of it was… different. Some remnant to a wrongness, like finding old bloodstains in a serial killer's dungeon.

What had the Darglan fought here?

"As much as I would have liked a tour, the enemy fleet is just a few hours out," Adama pointed out. "We need a solution on how to blow this place up."

"It is easier said than done, Admiral." Control faced the older man. "The Darglan instituted defenses against such direct sabotage. The sort of blast that would be capable of destroying this facility requires excessive amounts of energy. More than your explosives can easily match."

"What if we combined a quantum torpedo with a naqia booster?", Jarod asked. "That's a nasty combination."

"It would yet be insufficient to overcome the Darglan defenses. To be honest, even your plan of using destabilized naqia charges may have proven insufficient, Captain Dale."

Robert nodded. "And Cat's still running the calculations on how that didn't work."

"Surely the Darglan provided this place with a self-destruct mechanism," Sisko said.

"They did. But the necessary protocols to initiate it were degraded by the damage to the computer cores. I would need a high access to initiate the command."

"Well, maybe…" Zack looked at Robert and then Sisko. "Between Dax and O'Brien and Jarod and Cat and all of Maddie's people… maybe we could manage to hack it…"

"Cracking a Darglan computer in a few hours?" Jarod shook his head. "Even if we got Data back on his feet, I'm not sure we could pull that off in time."

"But maybe…"

As they talked Robert felt something tug at him. He closed his eyes and thought of the day, exhausting as it was. He was missing something. Something…

Of course.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out the orange disc that the Consort had given him. He walked up toward the holotank while everyone started to look his way.

Control looked at him. "Where did you get that?", he inquired.

"What is it?"

"It is a Darglan command disc," Control replied. "Their highest authorities used them to be given instant computer authority whenever they went in Darglan territories."

"What?" Caterina blinked. "I scanned that. I couldn't make out the material, but I didn't find any evidence of data storage."

"The data is not detectable by those means," Control explained. "This device is based off of recovered Time Lord technology. The disc can access a pocket dimension where the physical media for the data is kept. If you do not have the appropriate means to access the dimension and read the data, it will not work."

"Do we here?", Cat asked. She was looking at the disc with excitement. Who knew what secrets the Darglan hid on the thing?

"I am afraid not. It is likely the reading device was evacuated along with the Emergency Combat Ship."

"So it's useless?" Robert's voice betrayed his disbelief.

"Not at all. Merely by possessing it, the Facility systems grant you the highest levels of authority. The damage to the computer cores no longer limit my access. I can now initiate the Facility self-destruct with your access permissions."

"Just that simple, huh?" Zack shook his head. "Wow, Rob, that was good luck getting that thing."

"A part of me is wondering if it was luck at all," Robert admitted, looking at the disc. He wondered what secrets were still contained within.

"It would seem our problems here are solved then," Sisko said. "We should get going. The Reich's cloaked attack ships could be moving ahead of their fleet."

"Entirely possible," Robert agreed. He took in a breath. "Cat, Jarod, get everything back up to the Aurora. As soon as you're all gone, I'll trigger the self-destruct and leave the Facility."

Cat was looking at Control with sad eyes. "So… what happens to you?", she asked.

"I am still primarily aboard your ship and stored in your computer core," Control revealed. "I will simply upload what data I must to maintain the cohesion of my program and go into another cycle of reduced capacity."

"That's horrible, though," Cat insisted. "What if we expand our computer memory? You could run again, you could become our central computer!"

"I'm afraid your ship would need a major reconstruction to implement the computer cores necessary to contain my full program. And it would force you to reduce your capabilities in other areas." Control smiled gently at her. "Do not worry, Caterina Delgado. I will remain in your ship and continue to help where I can. And though I will lack the means to directly communicate with you as I do here, I will be with you."

It was clear to Robert that Caterina didn't consider that enough. But she forced a smile and nodded while tears flowed down her face. At least he was alive. He had survived her mistake.

Once everyone was out, Robert stood alone in the Control room. He looked at the disc. Studied it. Where could it have come from? How did the Consort get it? How did she know to give it to him?

All of these questions needed answers. And he knew it would be a long time before he got them.

He nevertheless found himself focusing on the disc. He had a feeling there was something else he could do with it, here and now.

Hell. I might as well ask. He looked up at Control. The program was preparing the final stages of returning himself to the Aurora. "Control, is there anything else I can do with this here? Anything of interest? New technical schematics? Files, information, that I can access?"

"Standby." Control went still for a moment. "There is one message that was stored in high priority. It is no longer intact due to the computer damage. I can replay one line for you."

"Go ahead," he said.

Control went stiff again. And when he spoke, it was with an odd tone.

"'...stop the Darkness.'"

After that line repeated a few times, Robert held up a hand. "What is it talking about? What darkness?"

"I do not know."

For a moment Robert thought about that line. And then a memory kicked in.

A galaxy. Stars going out, one after the other, in waves until no light was left.

It had been in his nightmare. After his dreams about the Reich destroying everything.

How were these things connected? What did it all have to do with what happened here?

"Aurora to Dale." Julia's voice brought him out of his thoughts. "We just picked up enemy ships on long range sensors. We've got an hour before they're here."

"I'll be right up," he said. He looked to the transporter enhancers. They were set up and working. With that done he looked at Control. "Initiate the self-destruct sequence." He held up the disc. "By my authority."

"Commencing. Shutting down dimensional transcendence field generators. Shut down will complete in thirty seconds. I am now finishing my upload to the Aurora." Control nodded. "Farewell, Robert."

"I'll see you around," he replied. He tapped his multidevice. "Beam me up."

His eyes settled on the carnage in the dock area. The destroyed ships, still hovering in remnant zero-G fields, and who knew what else was down there with Fassbinder's body.

He had a feeling that this was just the beginning for this mystery.

And then the Aurora transporter whisked him back home.

Robert arrived on the bridge of the Aurora just as Cat was giving her report. "I just detected a subspace ripple. It matches the one that happened when the last Facility had its DT field go down."

"And Lucy?", he asked.

A moment later Lucy's voice came over the comm. "There was a hell of a lot of racket for about ten seconds. And then nothing. The door won't open at all. This place is history."

"Literally. Let's get out of here then." Robert went to his seat. Julia was back in hers.

"We have her aboard."

"Thank you, Jarod." Robert looked at Angel. "It's time."

She nodded and triggered a solar torpedo launcher on the bow. The spark of blue-white light flew into the planet. A bright flash marked where it exploded. "Direct hit. There's nothing left of the mound."

"Who's left in orbit?", Robert asked.

"Just the Challenger," Julia said. "The other ships all jumped out before you beamed up. The Sladen is docked. And, somehow, we managed to cram all of our surviving fighters into the shuttle bays."

"Well, we're done here I suppose. Set the jump drive, we're heading to Earth, L2M1."

"Setting for Rimward Station, D3R1," Jarod said. The first jump would get them close enough that the second jump would carry them straight on to Earth. "Establishing link now. Preparing jump drive…"

"The Challenger is jumping out now," Julia added.

The two ships generated their own jump points in space. Each entered their own swirling vortex of green energy and were gone.

Lamper stepped into the infirmary on his ship. Dr. Beimler gave him a nod and directed him to one of the few exam beds occupied. The figure laying on it was wounded, severely. And Lamper knew his disposition would only get worse. "Fassbinder," he said.

Fassbinder looked up. "Ja?"

"You survived. I would not have expected that."

"Only barely," he revealed. "I had established a transporter link to our enhancers. I activated it after I fell and had the enhancers send me on to the base camp." He motioned to his shoulder. "This, Lamper, is your fault."

"Oh?"

"Your… sensor officer. He betrayed me," Fassbinder growled. "He betrayed me for an untermensch. I want the names of his family. Every member. They will pay for this."

"Leutnant Rabe has only one surviving kin, his grandfather Heinrich Peiper. He is a senior assist to the Gauleiter of New Pommerania, I believe." Lamper showed no satisfaction to that. Peiper was a Party man, with seniority. Arguably enough that he would evade punishment for Rabe's actions. "The Leutnant was a very quiet young man. I have tried on occasion to encourage him to be more energetic in his duties. But I got the feeling he resented his compulsory service."

"You should have reported him," Fassbinder spat. "There can be no room for shirkers in the Reich!"

"Most grow out of this phase, Fassbinder," Lamper said. "They come to understand the importance of duty through shared experience. I am only disappointed the Leutnant chose this path. Although given the outcome of this mission, I suppose he is safer than us now."

Lamper had expected that to wound. A little measure to remain Fassbinder of his failure, and how the SS abandonment of the fleet at New Austria had now been for nothing.

But Fassbinder didn't. He smiled thinly. "Oh, Käpitan? You believe we failed?"

"They have undoubtedly destroyed the Facility by now," Lamper pointed out. "We will not gain the technology the SS sacrificed so much for."

"Hrm. It is true we did not get all we wanted."

Lamper watched as Fassbinder slipped his working right hand into his field uniform. He was reaching for one of the utility pouches within. When his hand came back out, it was holding a device. Lamper didn't recognize it. "What is that?", he asked.

"An innovation of the Gestapo," Fassbinder said. "A data siphon device. It remotely connects to existing data connections and transmissions to syphon the data. I left its counterpart in the Facility, hidden in the Control Chamber there. It is designed to transmit what it finds to its sister device through high subspace frequencies, beyond the usual range used for subspace radio. I am assured it is very hard to detect, quite hard indeed, unless you know what to look for. And I have had this transmitting into your computer banks since this started."

Lamper considered what he was saying. "So what you are saying is…"

"...we may not have secured the alien Facility, Käpitan," Fassbinder finished for him, "but only time will tell if this was the failure you think it to be."

And there was nothing Lamper could say to that.

Ship's Log: ASV Aurora; 17 October 2641. Captain Robert Dale recording. We have returned to the Fleet Command Spacedock to begin repairs to the ship. With all of the damage we took, it will be weeks before we're ready to go back out. This should give everyone some time to deal with the stresses of what we just went through and to process the grief for the comrades we lost at Gamma Piratus and New Austria.

The Darglan data we recovered may go a long way into furthering our edge over the Reich in this war. We've beaten them at New Austria and we've held there. We're already getting reports of uprisings and anti-Reich actions across the adjoining sectors. This may very well be our first step in winning the war and putting down the Reich completely.

On a personal note… I now have to deal with the fact that I have become what Meridina and Lucy are. There's no hiding that. It's simply something I'll have to accept. Which won't be easy given what Commander King has told us.

Robert was finishing his log when the tone at his door sounded. He looked up and was pleasantly surprised to see Picard enter. "Captain. I wasn't aware you had come aboard."

"I thought I would surprise you." Picard gave him a wistful look. "I understand you had to destroy the Darglan Facility after all. A shame."

"Yes. Although… this place wasn't as n nice as our old one, Jean-Luc. The Darglan there had been fighting something. Something so nasty they killed themselves to keep their Facility out of the enemy's hands."

"That does sound rather bad, yes."

Robert answered with a nod. "So, how's Data?"

"Mister Data will be up on his feet soon," Picard assured him. "Mister La Forge and Mister Jarod are already finishing the critical repairs. We'll finish those repairs when we return to the Crazy Horse for the jump home."

"Good. He and Worf helped us make the difference. I was honored to serve with them."

"They appreciate the sentiment, I'm sure."

"Will Commander Sisko get in trouble over his 'accidental' jump into the war?", Robert asked.

At that Picard grinned, as if they had just shared a joke. "I suspect the Commander will be dealt with appropriately. As they say, the reward for work done well is more work. And people I know at Starfleet Command indicate that he is likely to be made a Captain soon enough."

"He deserves it."

Before either could continue on the door chime sounded again. Robert looked up in time to see Commander King enter. She was holding a data pad with her. "Ah, Captain Dale, my apologies for interrupting you and Captain Picard," she said.

"It's quite alright, I must be going anyway," Picard assured.

Robert had a sudden thought. "Captain, before you go… there is someone I'd like you to talk to. Commander Worf can direct you to the quarters we've assigned him."

"Oh?" Picard considered that with interest. "Well, I will speak with him then." Picard smiled the usual sort of warm, friendly smile he was capable of. "Bon voyage, Captain."

Robert returned that smile with his own. "Happy trails, Captain."

After Picard had left King handed him the datapad. "My official transfer orders, Captain," she said. "The Sladen will need its own time in drydock before we're fit for service again. And Command is re-assigning us to the 10th Attack Flotilla when it forms in a month's time."

"Ah. Well, good luck," Robert said. King noticed that the smile Picard had merited had completely vanished. He went over the transfer order and used a thumbscan to confirm he'd seen it. "Good luck when you go back to the war. You're dismissed."

"Thank you, sir." King turned to leave. She stopped before she got to the door and looked back to him. "Despite everything, Captain, it was an honor to serve with you. Hopefully one day we might work together again under less… onerous circumstances."

"Maybe," he answered, although in his mind the answer was a firm "No way".

King noted that. And she understood it. "I understand, sir. Good voyages to you."

She left and Robert was alone with his thoughts.

And, unfortunately, the energy within him that didn't seem to go away. He found himself wondering how Lucy and Meridina didn't become surly from putting up with it. It was, unfortunately, very distracting.

Leo finished examining the patch of skin with his scanner. "Looks like the cellular regeneration is holding. The damage is certainly healing well." He leaned back and looked over Commander Shepard, who was pulling her shirt back down. "That armor took most of the shot."

"That's a relief." Shepard looked around. "Not a lot of casualties?"

"No. We just sent them on to dedicated facilities,' Leo admitted. "We took hundreds of people in during the battle. It felt like we had half the crew in here, screaming and dying." His eyes focused on something not there. A memory, an image of how chaotic and terrible things had been. "That's the trouble with going into combat. People die whether you win or lose."

"That's how it's always been." Shepard moved on the bed. "So, do I get a bill of health?"

"I'd like to keep you longer for observation." Seeing the displeased look on her face, he continued, "...but I don't see any cause for concern. Just take it easy for a few days."

"I've got weeks of debriefings and committee meetings ahead of me. Taking it easy is all in the eye of the beholder."

"It's got to be better than combat," Leo pointed out.

"In combat, I get to shoot the bastard who's bothering me," Shepard pointed out drolly.

I suppose that can be a boon." Leo put his scanner back into its place on his multidevice. It snapped right into its slot as designed. "Nurse Nasri will see you out."

Leo went to his office. He dropped into his chair bonelessly before rubbing at his eyes. The exhaustion had set in. It was everything he could do to stay awake for the rest of this shift.

Of course, sleep had its own problems. It seemed like those lines of sheet-covered bodies appeared whenever he closed his eyes.

The fact that it might have been worse was only a partial consolation.

Worf led Picard to the guest quarters on Deck 7. Two of the ship's security personnel were flanking the doors. "Captain Dale and Commander Meridina have authorized this visit," he rumbled to them.

The security people, a Dorei and an Alakin, nodded. One unlocked the door.

Inside Picard found a smaller set of guest quarters than those he'd found Worf in. It was a smaller accommodation than would have been available on his Enterprise... but of course the Aurora had not been designed entirely like his own ship, and it was roughly the size of junior officer quarters he'd seen in his early Starfleet career. There were only base furnishings to go with the bed.

Sitting on the bed, in a civilian suit of L2M1 style - no collar, rolled back cuffs, earthy yellow and brown coloring - was a young man. When he looked up and spoke it was with a thick German accent. "Hello."

"Hello." Picard nodded. "I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard of Starfleet. Captain Dale and Commander Worf asked me to pay you a visit."

"I am.. I was… Leutnant Karl Rabe, an officer of the Raumkriegsmarine," Rabe replied. "Now I… am not."

Picard nodded. "Commander Worf tells me that you acted to save the life of Lieutenant Delgado."

"Yes. I could not allow an SS brute to murder someone with such promise. The things her mind can come up with, to make things better…"

"I see." Picard found a seat and sat down opposite from Rabe. "You showed great moral fortitude in what you did."

"No." Rabe shook his head. "It… wasn't like that. I… I'm not sure what…"

Picard allowed the young man to collect his thoughts.

"I have never believed in the Reich's mission," Rabe admitted. "Although my parents and grandfather pushed it upon me when I was young. It never seemed reasonable to discount brilliant people simply from their race. It made no sense. But I said nothing, because to say anything would be to deny the State and Party. And now I sit here and I have thought about this, I have read your histories and seen all of the brilliant people the Reich would have demeaned or slaughtered out of hand… and I wonder how many people like Caterina Delgado died while I did nothing. When I did not even speak up for them. In truth, I was a coward."

"I cannot pretend to understand, entirely, how impossible your situation had been, Mister Rabe," Picard said. "May I ask what your plans for the future are?"

"I imagine I will be held as a prisoner of war. Captain Dale has promised he would report me as a defector, but… they will expect me to help them. But how can I help kill people like me? The men I served with, my comrades and friends, I can't bring myself to help kill them."

"I understand," Picard said. And he knew immediately why Robert had sent him to Rabe. "Mister Rabe, perhaps you could consider a different course then."

Rabe gave him a curious look.

"Do you wish to make things better for others?", Picard asked. "To use your gifts and talents to improve the state of our world, so to speak?"

"I do," Rabe said.

"Well, as it so happens, that is our goal as well," Picard explained. "And Starfleet is not actively engaged in this conflict. I think a man of intelligence, a man willing to leave the life he had before to save just one person… is a man who would work well within Starfleet."

Rabe sat silent for a moment. He looked from Picard to Worf and thought about what Picard was saying.

"Please then, Captain," he answered. "Tell me more."

Science Lab 2 was where Caterina had arranged the necessary pieces for fixing Data to be installed. La Forge and Jarod were moving around Data now and patching up the damage. "I'm just glad your positronic network wasn't shorted out," La Forge said to his friend. "That disruptor blast did a lot of damage."

"Indeed."

"It looks like everything's good," Jarod said. He looked up from Data's former wound. "How do you feel, Data?"

"I am not receiving any indicators of further damage."

"Well, that's good news."

At La Forge's remark, Caterina piped in. "Yeah, but, well, how do you really feel?"

Data looked at her. He considered that inquiry. "Do you mean my emotions?"

"Yeah," Cat said. "Your chip didn't get damage, did it?"

"It is still in operation," Data answered. He twitched his face for a moment and a small smile came to his lips. "Test complete. It is working as intended."

Cat nodded and smiled as well. "That's wonderful."

La Forge reached for a control and released Data from the repair cradle. He stepped off. "Thank you, Geordi. Commander Jarod. Lieutenant Delgado."

"You can call me Cat, if you want," Caterina said. "I mean, we all call you Data, so…"

Data seemed to process this. "Very well. Cat. Thank you for helping with the repair."

Caterina's response was to give him a hug. "It's good. I was so worried when they shot you."

La Forge gave Data a curious look. "It looks like you've made a new friend, Data."

"Indeed. Caterina has been most interested in my development of emotions."

"I think it's wonderful to have them," Cat agreed. "An AI with emotions. Control had them…"

"I sense you have become sad." Data ended the hug. "Is Control not still located within your ship's tertiary auxiliary computer core?"

"Yeah, but he's not himself in there. He needs a bigger computer system to be at full potential."

"Yet he is here. So long as he is in the core, you have the chance to give him a proper storage medium at some point." Data's emotions shifted to allow him to comfort her with a gentle expression. "There is no reason to be sad."

There was no arguing with that logic. "Yeah," Caterina agreed. "You're right."

There was a surge of energy as the jump completed. And this time, Zack wasn't seeing it from the Koenig bridge, but through the dome of Cloud 9. Overheard space appeared again, seemingly little different from what it had been before.

But it was different. Entirely different.

At Roslin's nod, he took the microphone and spoke. "Attention everyone. Yes… sorry, celebration's not over, just a moment…" When Zack saw that he'd gotten everyone's attention - his voice booming across the area and, indeed, to the rest of the Fleet, that wasn't a surprise - he continued. "Commander Zachary Carrey of the Koenig speaking. To the people of the Colonial Fleet, I have just one thing to say. Congratulations! We have just jumped into the Penyami System. We are now in the territory of the Dorei Federation, a member of the United Alliance of Systems. You have officially made it to Alliance space!"

The crowds cheered. Adama and his officers applauded. Even Tigh was present, with his wife Ellen at his arm.

The Koenig officers present applauded as well.

In the crowd, the mostly-Colonial attendees continued their cheering. And one figure in a pretty dress winked at him. Zack smiled at seeing Clara blow him a kiss to go with the wink. His heart grew warm with thinking about what they were sharing now.

And he felt better. His friends had needed him and he had come, and he'd brought help. His decision to go out on his own, his acceptance of the offer to join Adama's fleet with his ship… it had all worked out in the end.

Everything had worked out.

"Now, before we let the celebration continue, I have one more little announcement to make. Something I've been waiting weeks to say." Zack pointed out to the fields beyond the dining pavilion they were taking up. "In celebration of our arrival, the First Colonial Little League Tournament will officially begin! Alright kids, let's play ball!"

The cheers, this time, were at the rear, where all of the children in the tournament teams were waiting. At Zack's call they rushed out, a sea of various light and grey-colored uniforms running enthusiastically toward the ball park. Samuel Anders and Creighton Apley were waiting to send them off to their diamonds to begin the warmups for the games to come shortly.

Zack left the microphone to Roslin and jumped down from the raised stage. Well-wishers extended him their hands and personal thanks and he did what he could to accept that. He made his way through the crowd to where Clara was waiting. Her blouse was a lovely sea-green and her skirt a midnight black. He felt a little flutter as her lips pressed to his for a quick kiss. "You're becoming quite the public speaker."

"Not that much of one," Zack said. "President Roslin lent me her speechwriters."

Clara giggled at that.

"Commander."

They looked to their side. Doctor Baltar stepped out from the crowd. "Commander, you did rather well," Baltar said. "I regret that you are likely to be re-assigned before my election."

Zack tried not to sigh. "Well, we'll see what happens," he offered.

"I was hoping to get more information from you on the planets being offered for our settlement," Baltar continued.

"We made that public last week. There's nothing being hidden," Zack insisted. He kept an arm around Clara and put a polite smile on. "Honestly, Doctor Baltar, I know the election's getting a little heated. I just don't think it's my place to get involved. Admiral Adama making us members of the Fleet was an honor but it doesn't change the fact we're outsiders. Your people have to decide for yourselves without our input."

Baltar smiled thinly and nodded. "I'm glad to hear you say that, Commander. Please, don't let me keep you from the games. I find your baseball rather fascinating and I hope to increase support for it when I'm in office."

"That guy gives me the creeps," Clara murmured after he returned to the crowd. "I feel like he's undressing me with his eyes all of the time."

"He probably is," Zack said.

"And you know this because…?"

"Because that's how I used to be." He gripped Clara's hand tightly. "Don't worry about it. It's just politics. Tonight is for us too."

"Watching a Little League game?", she asked, a sweet smile on her face. "Not a usual date."

"Not just a game. All of them! We've got every grouping playing tournaments over the next couple of days." He gave her a look. "And after today's games we'll have time for dinner and… I've reserved our suite."

"Ah." Clara grinned widely. "You are such a charmer, Zachary Carrey."

"I try…"

They stepped out of the crowd. Before they could go further, Zack heard the call of "Commander" and turned to face Adama. The older man wasn't quite smiling, but he was still cheerful. "Congratulations. And thank you for all of the work you've done helping the Fleet. Hopefully you'll get to stay with us until this election business is finished and we confirm which world we are settling on."

"I'll be with you as long as they let me, Admiral," Zack promised. "I'd like to thank you, too. You helped me convince President Roslin to take the risk and help my friends."

"It's always a good policy to help friends out when they need it," Adama stated. "Your people bled to help ours. It was only right that our people did the same for yours."

"Any luck with that Darglan data?"

"It'll take us years to go through, honestly," he admitted. "Doctor Baltar is the best candidate to do the job. Much to my regret."

"Yeah." Zack was staying apolitical and he knew Adama was trying. But despite what had happened at the initial contact, Zack would never support Baltar over Roslin. Not to himself. Roslin had at least repented of her bad decisions. Baltar seemed unlikely to ever do such a thing. "Well, Admiral…"

He stopped. A fun little idea crossed his mind.

Adama was waiting patiently for him to finish.

Zack grinned widely. "Admiral, I think the kids would be honored if you threw the first pitch of the tournament."

"Excuse me?", he asked.

"It's a ceremonial thing. You go up to the pitcher's mound and throw the ball to a catcher. And then you move on. President Roslin said she would be too busy and we've both thrown first pitches already for the Little League proper…"

Adama seemed to consider it. A grin crossed his face. "I think I will." As they walked on, he added, "And maybe I'll stay for a game or two. I'm still trying to understand how you play this sport…"

Worf looked over his assigned guest quarters with a discerning eye. All of his personal effects were again in his duffel bag and he had, after a proper search, made sure nothing had been lost.

When he arrived at the door, Angela Delgado was waiting for him. "Heading home already?", she asked.

"Yes." Worf nodded.

"I'll walk you to the airlock."

They moved through the corridors of the ship toward the port airlock. Once they got on a lift to take them to the lower deck where the airlock was based, Angel began speaking. "You've shown me a lot since you came aboard. Thank you."

"And you show promise. It has been an honor to work with you, Lieutenant."

"So, what next?"

"I… am unsure. I believe I will take a leave from Starfleet to consider my future."

"Right. Some time to think about things can help." Angel smirked. "I usually just hit things when I need to think."

"So I have noticed." Worf grinned slightly at that. "I have left a holodeck program for your mok'bara exercises with Commander Andreys."

"Thanks."

"And if you desire things to hit instead, you may find Program Worf Calisthenics-1 as well." Worf's grin turned into a smirk. "I would recommend you ensure the safety protocols are in place before use. It can be quite… taxing."

That caused Angel to laugh. "Well, that sounds interesting. I can't wait to find out."

When the lift opened and they stepped out, Worf began speaking again. "I understand what drives you. I understand the need to protect what is important to you."

"Yeah. You've got the same, with your brother…"

"...and my son, yes." Worf took a moment to contemplate his own complicated relations with his son Alexander.

Angel noticed this. "I don't have kids so I can't talk about that. But I know… just because the people you care about aren't like you doesn't mean you can't get close to them. Cat and I are so different… but I wouldn't have it any other way."

"I suppose… there is wisdom to that."

Angel could tell he wasn't quite accepting of her argument regardless. She didn't push it.

Many people had turned out at the airlock to see the others off. Not simply Data and Worf (with La Forge and Picard still present), but Shepard as well. She was carrying a large duffel bag on her left shoulder, as if in defiance of the wound she took to her side below, and was in her blue duty uniform.

Commander Kane was in his own olive brown Marine duty uniform. He shook her hand. "An honor and a pleasure working with you, ma'am. Hopefully we can have that drink soon."

"Looking forward to it, Kane." Shepard turned her head and faced Meridina, who was in standard duty uniform. Olive brown trim below the collar of her black uniform jacket and along the sides of the trousers marked her branch as security. "Commander Meridina. It was a pleasure working with you."

"Indeed, Commander Shepard."

They nodded. And then Shepard's grin turned sly. "Rematch?", she asked.

"Rematch, yes," was the response. "Mi rake sa swevyra iso, Commander Shepard."

"Mee rocky…" Shepard stopped trying even as the bemused grin came to Meridina's face.

"Gersallian is really hard," Lucy said, stepping up. Her uniform had the beige of Operations/Engineering on it. "I just say 'may your life force be with you', since it's about the same in meaning, but sounds really weird."

"Yeah, it does," Shepard agreed. She shook hands with Lucy. "How about we just go with 'Take care of yourself', Lieutenant?"

"Take care of yourself, Commander," Lucy agreed.

Shepard stepped away. Julia was the next to offer her hand. "It was great working with you, Commander," the blond woman said.

"I've got a question," Shepard said while accepting Julia's hand. "Your uniforms seem to do the same 'branch color' thing that the Starfleet uniforms do. Your rank insignia even use the same pattern of gold and black markers. Why is that?"

"It's in memory of Captain Farmer," Julia explained. "He was a Starfleet engineer who helped us before the Alliance was created. He oversaw the building of the Aurora. We adapted his uniform design for us back then in honor of his achievements and his sacrifice when we fought the Daleks."

"Right. Thanks for that." Shepard and Julia exchanged grins and she went on.

Robert was standing with Picard and the Starfleet people. And one more. Rabe was standing behind them, clearly ready to join them in departing. "Well, Captain, this is it, I suppose."

"It is, for now at least," Robert answered. He accepted Shepard's hand. "It was an honor, Commander Shepard."

"I have to admit, I wasn't sure how well this would work out," Shepard said. "But you and your crew are pretty good. Maybe we'll end up working together again someday."

"I hope so."

Shepard leaned in closer. "So… that… you know… thing you started doing…"

"Yeah." Robert nodded. "I'm still getting used to it."

"Take it from a biotic. Get the training you need to use it well. It'll save your life."

Angel looked their way. Robert noticed the unhappy look that crossed her face and sighed. "Yeah. I know."

With their exchange completed, Robert called out for everyone to look their way. "Everyone… I know that we've just gone through… well, I suppose you could actually call it 'hell'. But we came through that. And I don't think we could have done it without the allies who stood with us in the fight. Commander Shepard, Commander Data, Commander Worf… good luck to you all. We're honored to have served with you. Without your experience and skill, I don't think we would have won this. We wish you the best in the future. You'll always have a place with the crew of the Aurora."

There were cheers from behind. Cat was the only one to fully speak out, though, calling out to Data. "Data, let me know how your emotions are doing! I can't wait until you're experiencing them completely!"

"Of course," Data answered. He had them turned in partly, given the grin on his face. "I look forward to working with you again."

Worf looked over everyone. "You are honorable men and women, brave and resourceful. Worthy of our respect. I was honored to serve with you all."

Shepard looked at Worf with a slight grin before turning her head back to them. Her green eyes flickered with a hint of bemusement. "I think the big guy put it better than I would have."

"Goodbye, Caterina," Rabe called out.

"Good luck in Starfleet!", Cat replied happily.

"I can see you have all made an impression," Picard stated. The applause quieted down as he spoke. "A year ago, I was looking forward to seeing where your journeys would take you and how your potential would develop. Whatever our differences of opinion, I knew that you could go far. And hearing of this past year, your first year together as a crew on this ship, I can see how right I was. You have made several critical first contacts for your Alliance, you've stood against terrible forces and strived to make this growing Multiversal community stronger. Some of you have made mistakes along the way, yes." Picard nodded. "So have we all. But what we do out here isn't about avoiding mistakes, it's about learning from them. Growing from them. And that is what I see here." Picard smiled softly at them all. "Learning from our past is how we can learn to guard our futures. You have been taking that to heart. I look forward to seeing where the next year takes you all."

The applause began again.
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Steve

Post by Steve »

Tag

The Willamette River flowed in the distance through the window. Robert looked at it and the brightly-lit skyline of Portland beyond. The new capital of the United Alliance of Systems was growing busier every time he saw it again, it seemed.

Behind him a young Gersallian woman called his name. "The President is waiting for you, Captain," she said. Her English had a melodic quality to it, much like how Meridina spoke English.

"Thank you." He nodded and entered the room beyond. President Henry Morgan was at his desk. His hair was more gray than it had ever been and lines were growing ever more prominent on his dark skin. Brown eyes looked toward Robert and he could see the fatigue in them.

Robert had felt the pressure of being a captain often, and moreso whenever his decisions seemed to weigh for the future of the Alliance. Seeing Morgan made him realize how well off he was. Morgan made decisions that could make or break the Alliance every day.

Seated in a couch was Admiral Maran. The Gersallian man seemed as unflappable as ever. No new gray had been added to his hair. They must not show stress like we do, Robert imagined.

"Congratulations, Captain," Morgan said. "Your mission was a success. And the additional data you've given us may take years to sort through. And that includes what you found in E5B1."

"Thank you, sir." Robert nodded. "We lost some people. Good people."

"I know." Morgan put his hands on the desk. "Admiral Maran says you have something to share."

Robert gave a glance to his commander. Maran showed no response to what Morgan said. But he had obviously read Robert's report on… everything.

"Admiral Davies arranged the assignment of Commander King's ship, the Sladen, so he could spy on my crew," Robert said. "I have the Commander's confession recorded, along with the proof. I provided it to Admiral Maran."

"Yes." Morgan sighed. "I thought he might do something like this."

"Is there anything we can do about it?"

"Not without having a showdown with my Defense Minister," Morgan revealed. "And with the war on, I cannot risk that."

"But he's spying on a member nation," Robert protested. "He admitted he's got Naval Intelligence spying on the Gersallian government."

"I know. But after what happened in May…"

"You mean the attempt to throw us off our ship."

"Yes. The Gersallians… did not make friends that day." Morgan shook his head. Robert could feel the weariness coming from Morgan through his newfound power. "This Alliance is a work in progress, Captain. The war is not making it any easier to put it together. I cannot afford a showdown over this. Not again." Seeing Robert's frown, the President smiled thinly. "Thankfully your successes have quieted some of your detractors. We didn't think anyone could get the Citadel Council into an agreement without it costing us more."

"Thank you, sir."

"You've earned a lot of respect among the other allies too. The Klingons, the Federation… you have a growing list of friends. Hawthorne and Davies will find it hard to argue with that, not when we still need our allies for the war."

At least there is that. "Will there be any trouble about Kurt Rabe?"

"He is a conscientious defector from the Reich, not a prisoner," Maran replied. "While we might have preferred debriefing him, I've arranged the paperwork to show that his consideration for his defection was being permitted emigration to the Federation."

"Good. I think he'll do better there than with us," Robert said. "Is there anything else, sirs?"

"Nothing," Morgan replied. "You are dismissed, Captain."

Robert nodded and turned to leave. He stopped himself at the door and looked back. "Hawthorne and Davies seem to seriously think the Order of Swenya is trying to covertly undermine the government. There's got to be a way to deal with that fear, right?"

Maran and Morgan exchanged glances. "I wish there was, Captain," Morgan finally said. "But the tricky thing with paranoia is that the paranoid only accept what they want to accept. All I can hope is that time and practice show their fears are unfounded."

"And that the damage they cause in the meantime can be fixed," Robert sighed.

"Exactly," Morgan said. "Your ship's repairs will take another month or so, Captain, so feel free to take some leave time. Do something to decompress. We'll need you at top form when the Aurora is ready to leave spacedock."

When Robert returned to the Aurora and went to his quarters, Angel was waiting for him. "So," she said, "with the ship needing repairs I figured we could take some leave time. I've always wanted to visit some of those Caribbean islands and…" She noticed the look on Robert's face. "What is it?"

"I can't," he said. "Not… maybe in a week or so."

Angel's lip pursed. She was clearly upset with that. "This is about that mumbo jumbo stuff, isn't it?"

Robert nodded. "I've let the genie out of the bottle, Angel," he said. "So I've got to get this under control."

He could feel the frustration and anger coming from her. "No. No, there has to be something… some way you can get rid of this stuff."

"There isn't," he said. "I've looked into it. Leo has no idea what's happened to me. No more than he did about Lucy."

"Dammit, Rob. Dammit." For a moment Angel struggled against her temper before she got it under control. "Okay, so you have to do this. But does it have to be now? Can't you take a freaking break after we all nearly died?"

"I wish I could," he said. "But.. this power I feel, it's not something I just turn off. And I can't just leave it alone, not until I get an idea of how to control it." Seeing Angel's look he went up and put a hand on her shoulder. "Angel, a week, okay? Give me a week to train with Meridina and Lucy, just to get this thing under control. Then we'll go... I don't know, wherever you want to go. Sicily, the Aegean, the Caribbean, Acapulco, wherever. We'll take two weeks, just the two of us, together. Just us. Okay?"

Angel nodded stiffly. "Two weeks."

"Yeah. Two weeks. Then we come back and the ship will be getting ready to launch again."

There was a moment of silence as Angel's frustration warred with her understanding. She finally nodded. "Sure. Two weeks. I'll pick the place we go."

"Of course."

"And no calls. We don't bring multidevices. We beam down and if anyone calls us, for any reason, I get to break one of their bones. Deal?"

"As long as it's not my bone," he said jovially. "Deal."

There was silence. And then Angel nodded again. "Deal." She gave him a peck of a kiss on the cheek. "Now I bet you're heading off to go learn mumbo jumbo with Meridina and Lucy, right?"

"Well… yeah."

"Fine. Go. Learn it." She nodded. "I'll be waiting for you."

Robert could feel she still wasn't happy. But she was trying to be, for his sake if anything. He replied with a kiss on her lips. He made it a full one, and she accepted, and for several moments it was just the two of them.

The kiss ended and they smiled at each other. Angel went over to the table and sat down to watch Robert leave.

The smile disappeared after the door closed.

Meridina and Lucy were waiting for Robert when he got to the holodeck on Deck 6 that they used for their training. The environment selected was a simple room with protective mats on the walls and floors. Various objects were scattered around. Meridina and Lucy were wearing light vests and baggy trousers of white and gray respectively. A similar set of clothing was laid out for him beside a partition. "For your benefit," Meridina said.

"Right. I'll warn you now, we have a week and then I'm on leave. Or Angel will start punching our teeth out."

Lucy chuckled at that. "Wow. You talked her into an entire week."

Meridina nodded and smiled gently. Robert didn't think she was as amused though. "I understand Angela's desire to spend time with you. But it is very important that we establish your abilities, Robert, and your control, before you go off into other situations. The darkness in everyone can easily manifest in the most unexpected ways."

"Tell me about it," Lucy muttered. Robert saw her actually shiver.

"Okay. So… I change and then…?"

"And then… what comes, comes," Meridina replied stoically. "All training will differ by the strengths and weaknesses of the individual student."

"Although I, for one, am looking forward into how you deal with standing on your hands," Lucy added, chortling afterward.

Robert gave her a look. "I'm not going to like this, am I?"

"The training can be taxing at times, yes," Meridina admitted. "It is necessary to come to terms with your power."

"Of course it is." He sighed. "This is going to be worse than the time I let Julia and Angela talk me into joining their training." He picked up the vest and trousers laid out for him and slipped behind the partition to change.

While he did so, Lucy looked to Meridina. "So, how does this thing work now that you've got two students?"

"It is not unknown to train two individuals in basic control at a time," Meridina said in reply.

Lucy gave her a skeptical look. "It's not basic control training anymore, and you know it."

"Indeed. But regardless, I believe in you both. You will learn how to use your powers to the fullest. And you will use them as you see fit."

"And you're sure about that because…?"

Meridina matched Lucy's curious look with one of absolute certainty, joined by a small grin. "Because, Lucy Lucero… I believe in Destiny."

The medical bay on the Reich's Glory was dimmed and quiet. The ship's night cycle was on and there was only one patient left.

Erik Fassbinder tried and fail to move his left arm again. It would take more surgery, more repair, to regain the use of the limb.

But he was not perturbed by that. He focused upon his right arm. His right hand. He was holding a coin in it. A five Reichspfening coin that he was running around his fingers.

He thought of what he had seen. The confirmation of all of his suspicions. The power that had never been known to the Reich before.

Fassbinder flipped the coin in his hand a few times, thinking. Thinking of his enemies.

He slowly sat up in the bed and held open his palm. The coin laid in the middle of his palm. He focused on it. He imagined the possibilities of power. The whispers of his destiny.

And, just for a moment, the coin seemed to rise from his palm..

The Adventures of the ASV Aurora​
and her crew​
will continue in...​

"Undiscovered Frontier"​
Season 2

The crew will face new enemies…

Robert looked at the man on the other end of the forcefield. His brown eyes were intent on Robert and he could feel their prisoner's anger. His passions and his determination to get out. "Where did you come from?", Robert asked. "How did you get…"

"You'll find out soon enough," was the reply.

Meridina reached out and felt the dark matter flow around her. It snapped, as if angry it were denied its target. "Stop!", Meridina shouted. "You have done enough damage."

The dark-clad Asari replied with a smirk. "If I had known you were like that, I might have hunted you instead."

Angel and Caterina moved ahead of the other, startled people in the basement room. "What is that thing?", the man said in an English accent.

The suppurating mass of green that had once been the suited man began to coalesce into a humanoid form. "Interesting," it gurgled through a half-formed mouth. "Perhaps I will learn more after I absorb you two…"

"Hey, you two…" Angel looked back. "Alton or Ursula or whatever your names are, we should probably start to…"

"...run!," Caterina urged.

Angel started shooting the creature as it surged at them with a terrible hunger.

...and old.

"You are not welcome in this galaxy, outsiders." The Goa'uld made Robert think of an old movie with Fu Manchu. "And if you wish to protect the Tau'Ri, you will agree to our terms."

"Or…", the other began, his long flowing hair framing a voice full of disgust. "...the Goa'uld System Lords will not stop until you are destroyed. All of you."

Robert and O'Neill exchanged looks. "Oh, is that all?", O'Neill asked. "Because here I thought this was supposed to be a negotiation and that really doesn't sound like negotiating as I understand it..."

The Nazi assault craft continued to hover over their heads. Energy fire poured down from the saucer-like vehicle and its multiple disruptor cannons. The green pulses forced Kane and Lucy to stay low. "We're not moving ahead of here, Lieutenant," Kane said. "That thing's got too much firepower."

"We need to keep going," she insisted. "If we don't get to Nick and the others soon, they'll die!"

Robert looked across the desk at Davies. "Can't you see what you're doing, Admiral?", he asked. "All of this paranoia and suspicion is going to destroy the Alliance!"

"I'm well aware of what can or can't destroy this Alliance, Captain," Davies retorted. "And it seems to me that you've already picked your side on that matter with what you've become."

"How can you be so close-minded…"

"You have undermined millennia of our ways!", Goras raged at Meridina. "You have paved the way for the subjugation of our entire species to outside influences! You are an enemy, a traitor to this Order, to the Code, to the people of Gersal. I will see you tested! Personally!"

"Tested?", Robert whispered to Ledosh.

The older Gersallian's expression was drawn with horror. "He wishes to test her, power against power, lakesh against lakesh."

"A duel?", Lucy asked.

"A duel to see if she is in control. And if she fails…" Ledosh gave them a sad look. "...he will certainly kill her."

But where there are enemies…

"We might need some help on this one," Robert sighed.

Julia responded with a sly grin. "Isn't that how it usually goes?"

...there will also be allies.

Robert and the others were surprised at the figure that materialized in the room. "Greetings, Robert Dale and crew." The little alien raised a hand. "I am Supreme Commander Thor of the Asgard."

"Commander Shepard." Zack extended his hand as she stepped off the Koenig transporter. "Welcome aboard."

Shepard accepted his hand and nodded. "Glad to be here."

Robert reached up and let O'Neill and Teal'c haul him to his feet. "Thanks."

"You are welcome." Teal'c motioned down the hall. "I believe the Goa'uld went this way."

"It's alright, young lady, you'll be safe here," the woman answered. "What's your name?"

"Caterina. Caterina Delgado. This is my sister Angel," Cat managed between breaths.

"Well, Caterina, my name is Sarah Jane Smith." The woman gestured for them to enter. "It looks like you and your sister have quite the story to tell…"

Recalling what he had been briefed to say, Robert said, "Your Highness, thank you for welcoming us to your world."

The short man replied with an accent that was more German than English. "I may have you to thank, Captain…"

Robert extended his hand. "Captain Robert Dale, Alliance Starship Aurora."

"Ah." That won him a nod. And much to Robert's surprise, the hand was accepted. "I am Prince Victor Steiner-Davion. Welcome to New Avalon, Captain."

And the meeting that will change everything…

"Well, look at all this!" The man looked around the bridge. "Lovely ship you've got. Ah, the Darglan, they were always so creative…"

Everyone was staring at the new arrival. "Excuse me," Julia began, "but who are you?"

He flashed them a grin. "Hello everyone. I'm the Doctor."

Undiscovered Frontier​
Season 2​
"Whispers of Destiny"​

Coming Winter 2016

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Very well done.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Seconded, I will be eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

Incidentally, I would just like to say that in this last episode, Fassy's discussion with Eicke about the Gersallian psychics was hilarious. Mein Gotte, imagine how exasperating strategy meetings must be with these people.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

WHAT A JOURNEY. I am not one to read fanfics, especially not Star Trek related stuff, but this...this made me lose sleep. The cinematic writing style, the tensions in the plot...I actually gasped with every crossover reveal. I could imagine the characters in my head acting like a TV series. Also the Kerbals made me do a double take like Shroom Man and images of insanely built, suicidal ships fighting Nazis made me laugh.

Wonderful just wonderful. Very well written, Steve.

And the teaser for the Second Season of Undiscovered Frontier, especially with the Doctor making an appearance made me laugh out loud. I'm gonna start reading the Second Season right after this post.

"Ah." That won him a nod. And much to Robert's surprise, the hand was accepted. "I am Prince Victor Steiner-Davion. Welcome to New Avalon, Captain."
FILTHY FEDERATED SWINES! GLORY TO HOUSE MARIK AND THE FREE WORLD LEAGUES!

I'm glad someone knows Battletech too.
Last edited by Heretic on Sun May 06, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thank you kindly for your praise. I'm glad you've enjoyed the storyline so far. And the best is yet to come... 8-)

Speaking of...
Heretic wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:00 am
And the teaser for the Second Season of Undiscovered Frontier, especially with the Doctor making an appearance made me laugh out loud. I'm gonna start reading the Second Season right after this post.

FILTHY FEDERATED SWINES! GLORY TO HOUSE MARIK AND THE FREE WORLD LEAGUES!

I'm glad someone knows Battletech too.

I have sympathies for the Mariks as well. And I think you will greatly enjoy Episode 2-03... :) (For given values of enjoy anyway... and it's certainly not what I think most people expected for the kind of story I'd do for their first encounter with the Inner Sphere.)

As for the Doctor... that one's gonna be a doozy. :twisted: