Announcements

Moderator: Dakarne

Dakarne

Announcements

Post by Dakarne »

I'm working on this world a bit, and I'm working on redefining and revamping a few things. The first and most notable thing you may have witnessed is my scrapping of the races thread because it was extremely obsolete; for one, I don't have either orcs or dwarves or elves in it any more. The táchari are the closest I have to the elves, being pointy-eared and long-lived mystical creatures, but I've been working on making them a bit distinct from the elves. They'll still likely carry the label, but I want to avoid the instantaneous association with the benevolent-but-arrogant-tree-dwellers-with-l33t-archery-skills of the world. I want to try and keep it in the realms of classical fantasy, but outside of the Lord of the Rings clones. Though, as always, my work on the setting will play second-fiddle to my work on the storyline.

Though there is more than one type of classical fantasy, as you might glean from looking at the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, and then reading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien before sitting down and flicking through something like The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan. So what I'm going to do is try as hard as I can not to fall into an overly-specific genre.

I've also been forming a metaplot or two. But for those of you who've listened to me babble on over the chats (and everyone knows I fit into the category of an incessant babbler; I'm even babbling now!); I've been thinking of revising those existing metaplots into the pit of oblivion. You'll know the ones I'm talking about.

What is going to remain the same is the geography, which is merely going to be expanded later.

As always, I cannot guarantee that I shall post my stories or specifically detailed information online as I'm concerned about the risks of plagiarism - anyone could visit the site, after all - and I am also concerned about the risk that a publisher will refuse to accept my story if people are able to read it on the interweb.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Dakarne

Re: TOC and Introduction

Post by Dakarne »

All right, after being given Moderator powers (thanks Siege), I've gone through and deleted the threads with obsolete information. Which is just about every single one except this thread, the Table of Contents and the Q&A.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

Dakarne

Re: Announcements

Post by Dakarne »

I've begun working on this 'verse again... and thanks to Siege, I've got a brand new name for it. Don't worry, though, the name is merely an aesthetic thing and this is still technically the same 'verse with the same people, the same nations, and some of the same features. One of the new things to note is that I won't be updating with actual 'verse articles so much, and instead be updating with actual fiction.