Magic and Sorcery

Moderator: Dakarne

Dakarne

Magic and Sorcery

Post by Dakarne »

Magic in Essence & Descent involves taking power from one or more Sources. The skill and intent of the mage, the specific Source or Sources used, and how such is combined defines what the magic can be used for. The Sources themselves are entities; simple aspects of power which can be accessed by specific types of people, often referred to as the Gifted or the Mages. It is rumoured by myth that the Sources came to be via the machinations of the Gods, or are the representations of the Gods or Devils themselves, though no one really knows. Some people distrust magical power; which is borne partly of some level of pointless superstition, but mostly of a genuine concern over what an individual would do with such power.

Rules of Magic
As with all things, and as with all physical forces, magic has rules which serve to govern the way it is used and the way that it cannot be used. There are three such primary rules which govern the way in which magic cannot be used, and the limitations upon it. These rules are immutable laws, and a mage cannot ever break these rules or even bend them very far. There is no real penalty for attempting to break these laws, however, except for various accidents that may occur as a side-effect of what is done to achieve such an end. A young boy wouldn't receive any intrinsic penalty for attempting and failing to flap his arms to fly unless he leapt from the roof of a very high building in his attempt, for example.
  1. Law of Time
    It is impossible to use magic to truly change the flow of time, thus a magician cannot travel to the past. But she can very slightly nudge and alter the flow so that she may increase the rate of time or slow it down. She may also look into the past to see what has been or into the future to see what might be. A magician also cannot truly halt the ever-flowing river of time, as it is a natural force of the universe, so her effects can only cover a small area.
  2. Law of Connection
    It is difficult to use magic without a connection of some kind to what it is that a mage wishes to affect. Often, the most common connection is what the magician can see, hear or touch at the time. However, outside of sight, sound and touch, a magician cannot alter anything without another form of connection. These can typically be a lock of hair, blood, a true name or an object that the target is emotionally attached to.
  3. Law of Conservation
    A mage cannot break the conservation law of magical power and cast a spell of self-rejuvenation without expending some of her own magical energy. Nor can she cast a spell which renews her own magical power, as magic is in no way a fully infinite resource. A mage has to wait for her magic to replenish normally once it is spent. The Sources of magic are typically infinite, but the speed at which they can be accessed is not.
Sources of Magic
Magic is known for having many Sources of power, each one different to another. Any mage can draw upon a Source to gain power, but each Source is different, and grants different abilities, and a mage cannot choose which Source she receives, but instead the Source seems to choose her. Though many of the basic powers and spells may indeed overlap, there are certain things that only a mage who commands a specific Source can do. There are many Sources, and many of them may overlap in power, and many of them have further powers which cannot be granted by another Source. However, a skilled mage can tap into more than one Source, thus augmenting and expanding upon their basic powers. A mage cannot usually wield more than three or four sources each, lest she might cause herself harm from simply being overloaded with magical power.

A Source's primary limitation is often that it cannot allow for the powers of its direct opposite, even though it can allow for the powers of other less-opposite Sources to a lesser degree. And although a mage can use more than one Source in the creation of a single spell, and master two directly opposing Sources, it is impossible to actually combine the powers of two directly opposing Sources at once. While using two Sources, the opposing powers of both still apply; a spell created from both of the Sources of Light and Summer cannot use the powers of either Darkness or Winter.

Specific Sources
  • Dark
    The power of this Source draws itself purely from the darkness itself, allowing for great control and power over illusions and glamours, as well as the generation of magical darkness. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which controls the power of the light such as the dispelling of illusions. The darkness is often more easily accessible to magi who are of dark-elf descent.
  • Light
    The power of this Source draws itself purely from the power of light, allowing for the ability to see through and dispel illusions and glamours, as well as the generation of magical light. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which controls the power of darkness such as the creation of illusions. The light is often more easily accessible to magi who are of light-elf descent.
  • Death
    The power of this Source is the power of death and finality itself, allowing for the ability to harm another, snuff out a life-force entirely, or animate the corpse that results from such. It also allows for communication with the spirits of the dead. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which allows control over the power of life, such as healing or resurrection powers.
  • Life
    The power of this Source is the power of life and vitality, allowing for the power to heal another individual, keep someone alive even through immense trauma, or even resurrect the recently dead. It also allows for communication with the minds of the still-living. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which allows control over the power of death, such as harming or slaying.
  • Winter
    The power of this Source is associated with the winter season, allowing for the power to create and control the element of water, the power to turn such water into ice. It also directly allows one the power to survive underwater and in the cold. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which allows control over the power of Summer, such as fire magic, and it can render a mage fairly susceptible to warmth.
  • Summer
    The power of this Source is associated with the summer season, allowing for the power to create and control the element of fire, and also allows for several associated powers, such as resistance to heat and an immunity to low-scale burning. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which allows control over the power of Winter, such as ice or water magic, and it can make one fairly susceptible to the cold.
  • Autumn
    The power of this Source is associated with the autumn season, allowing for the power to control the classical element of air and wind, and it also allows for several associated powers, such as a greater capacity for magical flight and telekinesis. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which allows for control over the power of Spring, such as typical types of earth magic.
  • Spring
    The power of this Source is associated with the spring season, allowing for the power to control the classical element of earth and stone, and it also allows for several associated powers, such as the ability to pass through rock and stone like air. It cannot allow for any magic that is specific to the Source which allows for control over the power of Autumn, such as typical types of air magic.
Utilising Magic
To utilise magic, a mage must often cast what is referred to as a 'spell'; a controlled magical effect, or a series of closely linked effects. There are several components which can go into the casting of spells, but many unknowing people are mistaken in how they are used and they are also uncertain as to how much they are needed. The primary component, however, is the visualisation and mental shaping of the power to produce an effect, and also the channelling of enough energy to make such an effect occur. A mage only needs those major components, and no others, in theory. However, magic is mentally and physically taxing, and there are numerous other secondary components which can be used to aid a mage in the use of magic. These are never vital to the casting of spells in theory, but can often be a great aid.

The first and foremost of these secondary components is the vocal component; a mage can speak a short mantra in order to aid with the mental focusing of a spell. A mage can also use gestures as the second most common non-vital component for much the same reason. A mage may also use a staff, wand or orb of some sort to help shape or focus the spell, making it easier for a mage to handle large amounts of power in a single usage.

Many spells are mere spontaneous effects chosen by the mage, and there is often no distinctive system for what spells should be cast.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Dakarne

Re: Magic and Sorcery

Post by Dakarne »

Q&A
Ford Prefect wrote:I suppose the fact that Order and Chaos aren't paired into a 'Greater Source' is that they're considerably more 'opposed' than any other of the opposed sources?
Yes, that would be the case. I originally had the idea of a Balance Source, but it wouldn't have worked because Order and Chaos cannot be combined as they are very much diametrically opposed in the way the magic works, aside from the focus on summoning/ridding of daemons. There was also going to be a Quintessence source, that combined everything, but I scrapped that because it was far too powerful.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

It's shaped up hella good so far, though we'll talk it over in chats. Like we are right now.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

So, this is finalised, yes? ;)

I suppose the fact that Order and Chaos aren't paired into a 'Greater Source' is that they're considerably more 'opposed' than any other of the opposed sources?
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Ford Prefect wrote:So, this is finalised, yes? ;)
... ish. I may go back and add an extra Source or two later, but the system is generally finished as it is.
I suppose the fact that Order and Chaos aren't paired into a 'Greater Source' is that they're considerably more 'opposed' than any other of the opposed sources?
Yes, that would be the case. I originally had the idea of a Balance Source, but it wouldn't have worked because Order and Chaos cannot be combined as they are very much diametrically opposed in the way the magic works, aside from the focus on summoning/ridding of daemons. There was also going to be a Quintessence source, that combined everything, but I scrapped that because it was far too powerful.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I quite like that the entire "physics of magic" approach also goes into the limitations of what magic can and can't do. Makes it feel more real, within the context of the setting at least.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:I quite like that the entire "physics of magic" approach also goes into the limitations of what magic can and can't do. Makes it feel more real, within the context of the setting at least.
I really wanted to set out a very distinct series of limits, rather than a distinct series of abilities, instead leaving 'what can be done' as actually being very vague.

I've set it out that any one of the Sources allows for a mage to do practically anything, but each one comes with a focused attribute and a negative attribute. Both a Light Mage and Summer Mage can cast 'fireball', but the latter will often be better at it, for example, though not always as an Archmage with Light Magic can defeat a novice with Summer Magic at a game of hurling fireballs about. The latter can also create illusions, and the former can also use ice magic, which is something the other can't do.

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Mild update; I've removed the Greater Sources, as I've begun to dislike the feel of them in general. They just don't sit right with me, and I've therefore simply removed them. I'm going to do some more revisions, additions, and resequencing over the next few days. Keep an eye out.