Found ye olde backups

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Siege
Site Admin

Found ye olde backups

Post by Siege »

Denizens,

In the years of yesteryore there used to be a much different forum here. That place vanished in a spectacular crash that took with much that is now lost and only half-remembered. The people however sang songs of a legendary backup that was said to exist in a distant mythical land called Siege's ancient archives. Much asked after and whispered about this place, many said, was but a myth; the vanished place was truly and properly gone into that great digital oblivion that in the end awaits all things made up of ones and zeroes. Indeed, for a while even the keeper of the lore himself thought the archives lost to the mists of time.

But as all true believers know nothing stays dead forever.

That is to say, during a deep-clean of some shelves that by the amount of dust on 'em hadn't been touched in a couple of years I came across a box that surprisingly contained a set of hard drives from the IDE days. Surprisingly most of them still spooled up after I wired them into my new system, and from the occasionally embarassing digital detritus I've recovered a few old forum backups from '07 and '08. I'm no closer to restoring them to a functioning forum, but the inevitable march of time and progress means that where their 140-ish megabyte filesize was once an insurmountable barrier to digital transfer, these days I could just toss all files into WeTransfer and have 'em wired your way in under fifteen minutes. Then you can open the file on your end with a text editor of your choosing and just lob keywords at the thing 'till you find what you're looking for.

Or, who knows, if any of y'all are smarter than me maybe it's actually possible to fully restore from backup.

So if any of you are interested, shoot me a PM and I'll transfer you the files.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Ford Prefect

Re: Found ye olde backups

Post by Ford Prefect »

Invictus told me about this so I had to race back immediately. This is some lost Doctor Who episode shit, fantastic. In a way it was good that I couldn't see the stuff I'd written as a kid, but it's better to have it all back :v

I'll talk to the tech guys I work with and see if there's some possibility of spooling up something that can be browsed.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: Found ye olde backups

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

We need to invoke deities such as

LORD TANGITH

TALAMATROSS

MALCHUS

And Siege's co-peers so he shall no longer be THE LAST DUTCHMAN.

And more!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD