News Thread

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: News Thread

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

We lost some of the F-5s because the pilots left the cockpits open at night and then it rained and the electronics got wet and then the pilots flew the plane and crashed (and died maybe). :mrgreen:

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

[b]Losing North Korean World Cup Team Publicly Humilated in Public[/b] wrote:The North Korean football team have reportedly been severely reprimanded after losing all three of their games at the World Cup in South Africa.

Kim Jong-Hun, the coach, and his team were summoned to the People's Palace of Culture in the capital, Pyongyang for a dressing down on July 2, US-based Radio Free Asia reported on Thursday.

Myong Chol, the sports minister, was among about 400 government officials, students and athletes that too part in the six-hour session, the report said.

Players were forced to reprimand their coach at the end of the gathering, it said.

Kim Jong-Hun was also apparently made to work on a building site and expelled from the Workers' Party of Korea.

The criticism at the meeting was led by Ri Dong-Kyu, a commentator for state TV, which made the 7-0 drubbing at the hands of Portugal its first ever live sports broadcast.

The decision to show the game live came in the wake of an encouraging 2-1 defeat to Brazil. North Korea lost their final game 3-0 to Ivory Coast.

The Radio Free Asia report cited two unidentified sources in North Korea and a Chinese businessman named Yu, described as knowledgeable about North Korea affairs.

South Korea's National Intelligence Service said it could not immediately confirm the report.

'Ideological shortcomings'

However, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper quoted a South Korean intelligence source as saying: "In the past, North Korean athletes and coaches who performed badly were sent to prison camps.

"Considering the high hopes North Koreans had for the World Cup, the regime could have done worse things to the team than just reprimand them for their ideological shortcomings."

North Korea was competing in only its second World Cup in 44 years.

Pak Du Ik, who led his country to the quarterfinals in England in 1966, had previously told television news agency APTN that the team would receive a warm welcome in Pyongyang despite their lack of success.

"Now when the Korean team gets home, officials and crowds of people will go to the airport to welcome them," he said.

"We have learned a lesson from the three World Cup matches, we accumulated experience and we found an answer to how to improve our football."
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That is hilarious. Man, totalitarian regimes are awesome. Except for the people living in them. :D

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

And now, your timely dose of Putin Pravda:

Co-Pilot Putin Helps Put Out Wildfires

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin took the pilot's seat in the government's fight against wildfires Tuesday, hopping on a firefighting plane to put out two blazes in the Ryazan region.

Putin, wearing a blue shirt and jeans, boarded a Russian-built Be-200 amphibious aircraft as a passenger for a flight over the Ryazan region. But he later went into the cockpit and sat in the co-pilot's seat, holding the throttle and pushing a button to dump 24 tons of water on forest fires about 200 kilometers southeast of Moscow.

Footage on Channel One television showed Putin hitting the button and asking the pilot, "Was that OK?"

The pilot replied, "A direct hit!"

Putin, who has no known pilot training, is no stranger to the co-pilot's seat, operating a Tu-160 supersonic heavy bomber during the MAKS air show in 2005 and flying in a Su-27 jet over Chechnya in 2000.
MOSCOW, Aug. 10 (Xinhua) -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin took to the skies Tuesday to help fight wild fires in the Ryazan region, the RIA Novosti news agency reported.

Putin for 30 minutes co-piloted a Be-200 amphibious airplane, scooping up water from the nearby Oka River and dumping it on raging forest fires about 200 km southeast of Moscow.

The prime minister dropped approximately 12 tons of water on each of two fires, extinguishing both, the news agency said.

Putin initially sat in the cabin in front of a thermal imaging monitor together with Emergency Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu and Ryazan Governor Oleg Kovalev. However, shortly after takeoff, Putin entered the cockpit and sat in the co-pilot's seat.

Putin also spotted a fresh steppe fire in dangerous proximity to two villages.

Kovalev immediately issued instructions to local authorities to take measures to extinguish the fire.

For the first time since last week, patches of blue sky were visible in Moscow on Tuesday, although dozens of fires were continuing to rage outside the city and a total of 554 fires were still burning across the country.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Another patented Putin publicity stunt. Always a source for awesome pictures, and those pictures surely have a lot of potentially awesome usage.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Man, what an awesome man. He is the only thing that makes me hopeful for Russia. And I'm sure he's also one of the things that makes others afraid of it. Right, Saakashvili? :)

Seriously though. These Putin publicity photo pictures are great. :D

Vic, where's the one with Putin riding with HELL'S SATANS?

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Vic, where's the one with Putin riding with HELL'S SATANS?
It turned out the Harley was a trike, so it wasn't that manly.
-

Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What's happened to America? What's happened to the American dream?

It came true. You're lookin' at it.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

FEELIPEENS FUCK YEAH! wrote:Police held in Philippine torture video probe

(AFP) – 5 hours ago

MANILA — Eleven Philippine policemen appeared at a disciplinary hearing on Friday over a torture video allegedly filmed on a mobile phone at a police station in a Manila slum.

The graphic recording, which has enraged the public since it was broadcast on national television on Tuesday, showed a man in civilian clothes whipping a naked man writhing on a white tiled floor.

In between blows, the torturer yanked a rope that appeared to be tied to the victim's penis.

Chief Superintendent Roberto Rongavilla, head of a police task force investigating the incident, said a formal complaint against the policemen had been read at a police internal affairs hearing.

"These people are now in the custody of the Manila police," he said.

All 11 men had been posted at the Asuncion community police precinct in the high-crime Manila slum district of Tondo, but were suspended after a public outcry over the video sparked a government investigation.

Rongavilla said the officer featured in the torture video was the former commander of the precinct. Local news reports said he had denied the allegations.

Rongavilla said the naked man was a suspected robber whose wife had reported him missing since March.

"He was part of a group engaged in holdups and bag-snatching," Rongavilla said. "It appears some other members of the gang had been killed in clashes with the police."

While allegations of torture and extra-judicial killings carried out by police and military are nothing new, the broadcast of the video was the first time such an incident has been seen on public television.

Local television network ABS-CBN, which broadcast the clip, said an unnamed informant filmed the scene with a mobile phone, but it was unclear when it was taken.

Rongavilla told ABS-CBN that the investigation would also look into allegations that the officer accused of torturing the naked man had committed similar offences.

"Many people are coming out alleging that their sons and husbands had been given similar treatment," he added.
Finally, the Philippines pulls through and gives me news weird enough to match Vic's usual real-life reports of insanity. I am not surprised at this though, since we've got governors with death squads murdering political opponents and burying them in mass graves (talk about a political low point!), and military guys who disappear dozens of suspected-commie doctors and nurses for going on a medical mission. Philippines is a great country. :mrgreen:

Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Well, shit. It's times like this that really make me reconsider my decision not to be like Shroom (and crap knows how many Filipinos) and just fuck this place for another country.

Oh, and the local television media displayed their good taste by showing the black and white torture video with censoring so slight it's very clear what's going on. Again and again and again. As if the showing of Moro rebels beheading soldiers didn't cause enough controversy before. Stay classy, Philippine news media. :roll:
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I don't think they should obscure any of the graphic stuff at all, man. I think they should show it for what it is.

Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Like I said in SDN:

Yeah, well, I'd rather not have brutal dong-torture displayed in detail while I'm eating dinner thank you very much. And, personally, if I were the poor guy's family, it would piss me the fuck off and horrify me to have to see a video of him being brutalized on the evening news over and over again.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

My serious reply goes to SDN. Here, I can just quote Watchmeng:

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Shroomedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Mal Malchusberg: But the country's disintegrating. What's happened to the Philippines? What's happened to the Filipino dream?

The Shroomedian: It came true. You're lookin' at it. Now c'mon... let's really put these jokers through some changes.

Things like these makes it clear that we're just another craphole country. Man. :(

Then again, we're all craphole countries. The only one that isn't is probably Sealand. Heh.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Cross-posted from SDN.
Yahoo! News wrote:
MANILA (AFP) - – An ex-policeman armed with a high-powered assault rifle hijacked a bus carrying more than 20 Hong Kong tourists including children in the Philippine capital on Monday, police said.

Six hostages, three of them children, were released by the gunman about three hours after the drama began.

The policeman was discharged in 2008 for his alleged involvement in drug-related crimes and extortion, and was demanding to be reinstated, police said.

"There are children and adults on the bus," Metro Manila police commander Director Leocadio Santiago said on DZBB radio as the drama was being played out live on national television.

"He is armed with an M-16 assault rifle," he added.

A national police statement said at least 22 tourists from Hong Kong were on board the bus. The statement said that, aside from the driver, they were believed to be the only people aboard the bus.

About three hours after the stand-off began, the ex-policemen released six people, including three children, with the drama being aired live on national television.

Santiago identified the suspect as Rolando Mendoza, a decorated former police senior inspector before he was accused and relieved of his post.

National police spokesman Senior Superintendent Agrimero Cruz said the bus has been isolated and police had deployed commandos in the area, and that talks with the gunman had begun.

"Negotiations are ongoing," Cruz told reporters.

Live television footage showed the bus parked in front of a grandstand at Rizal Park, a popular tourist destination just several blocks from the police headquarters.

Children could be seen peeking from the drawn curtains as a lone police negotiator hovered near the scene.

The hostage-taking came hours after a South Korean man was killed in a separate attack by gunmen elsewhere in Manila. Police said the incidents were not related.

Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim said that the bus was operated by a Hong Thai, a Hong Kong-based travel agency.

The national police statement confirming the tourists were from Kong Kong corrected earlier statements by police that they were South Koreans.

The incident brought back memories of a similar hostage taking in 2007, when a troubled civil engineer armed with a grenade took over a bus and took 30 kindergarten students hostage but freed them after a 10-hour standoff with police.

That hijacking happened near Manila city hall, just off Rizal Park.
God. When it rains, it pours. Not a good week for the Philippine police. Their guys get caught yanking people's dicks with ropes, and now ex-employees are hijacking tourist buses full of kiddies. Man. What a way to start a week. I bet by Friday the police force will be on strike, and maybe Manila will get sold to corporations that want to turn it into a Delta City or something. :lol:

Also, I swear, there was a Bruce Willis movie where he was a rogue cop who held up a bus full of people.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The bus driver got out. He says all the hostages are dead. The police are storming the bus and smashing the windows with sledgehammers.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Our President does an ATHENIAN GRIN! :lol:
After hostage crisis, Aquino begs for understanding wrote:(UPDATE) President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III pleaded for more understanding days after the shocking hostage drama that killed Hong Kong nationals in Manila.

“We hope we could have done better,” Aquino said in a press conference.

“There is a tragic loss of life then we will have to bear accepting this anger because letting it out would be healthy to the relations of our countries,” Aquino added.

Aquino related his recent conversation with Hong Kong Administrative Region Chief Executive Donald Tsang and noted he reiterated his sincerest condolences as he “begged for understanding.”

“None of us wanted this outcome,” added Aquino.

Aquino also defended himself for being caught smiling while inspecting the ill-fated bus where at least eight foreign tourists from Hong Kong lost their lives after a day-long hostage drama staged by ex-policeman Rolando Mendoza.

“My smile might have been misunderstood. If I offended several people I apologize to them,” Aquino said.

“I smile when I’m happy and when I’m faced with an absurd situation to keep emotions in check. If I offended people, I’m sorry,” he added, noting the smile was “more an expression of exasperation.”

Several people from Hong Kong also criticized Aquino in his Facebook page for not immediately acting on the situation in his capacity as President.

Asked about his supposed absence during the hostage drama, Aquino said he placed his trust on the police and other people on the ground during the hostage crisis.

“I believe somebody was more capable than I am in determining which forces was capable,” Aquino said, noting he “purposely didn’t want to interfere because” the police and the negotiators had a lot in their plates at that time.

Aquino earlier demanded an investigation while a high end delegation is set to leave for Hong Kong.

“The Vice President [Jejomar Binay] and DFA and Presidential spokesman will be part of the delegation,” said Aquino. He said the delegation will deliver RP’s letters to Hong Kong’s respective officials.

Meanwhile, Aquino revealed during the press conference that he has accepted the offer of Manila Police District head, Chief Superintendent Rodolfo Magtibay to go on leave.

Meanwhile, the President said he was open to accepting equipment and training from experts from other countries, as he acknowledged the country’s need for help to beef up its security forces.

Aquino also stressed he was aware how the recent incident will impact Philippine tourism. But he stressed that the country will recover in due time.

“Given enough time we can recover,” he said.
Also, there's word that Filipino workers in HK are getting some bad treatment or discriminations. Vic?

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Amateur Copenhagen Suborbitals team about to send a dummy into a space, then a man; what have you done with your life? wrote:The non-profit, volunteer-based and sponsor-supplied Copenhagen Suborbitals are an amateur group of Danish crazies that are about to fire a crash test dummy into space. It's all part of a wild plan to send a human into space on a shoestring budget (in the thousands, not the millions), and it seems to be going pretty well so far. The launch of the "Tycho Brahe" spacecraft (pictured above), which is really as small as it looks and will be towed to sea by a submarine built by one of the team members, is slated to take place on August 30th. A manned launch is still probably a few years off, but this is the first full scale launch for the team, and obviously a huge milestone. We wish the team the best of luck, and will have a bottle of our best bubbly standing by to celebrate.

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

PUTIN PRAVDA TIME

Putin shoots whale with crossbow

Vladimir Putin subjugates the mighty whale with a crossbow to further cement his nature-taming credentials.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin fired darts from a crossbow at a grey whale off Russia's Far Eastern coast on Wednesday in the latest in a series of man-versus-nature stunts designed to cultivate the image of a macho leader.

Putin held his balance in a rubber boat that was being tossed around in choppy waters off the Kamchatka Peninsula, and eventually hit the whale with a special arrow designed to collect skin samples.

"I hit it at the fourth try!" a beaming Putin, kitted out in black-and-orange waterproof suit and black beanie, yelled to a camera crew from the boat.

A biologist with him displayed the skin sample and said it would allow experts to determine where the whale came from.

When the boat skidded onto the beach, a buoyant Putin hopped off and made a beeline for waiting reporters.

Clearly in his element, Putin replied jovially to a question as to whether the endeavour was dangerous.

"Living in general is dangerous," he quipped.

Asked why he got involved, he simply said, "Because I like it. I love the nature."
-

Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I call this adventure, Putin's Journey to the Whale Waters! OUTRAGEOUS! :lol:

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

:lol:

I wish I was more like Vladimir Putin. Truly he is the Schwarzenegger of our time!
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Now i can't stop picturing Putin as Captain Ahab.

"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Mikhail Saakashvili can be the White Whale.

I think aside from all this being a standard Perfidious Planned Putin Pravda Publicity Photo-Op Pose, the guy is genuinely having fun flying Tu-160s and tranquilizing tigers and fishing topless and riding quad-bikes with Hell's Satans and putting out fires on seaplanes and stuff. What would YOU do if you were the unquestionable king of the oligarchs in Russia, now that you're rich and fuckoff famous and have delegated the Presidenting to someone else? You'd rock on out, mang! That's what Putin's done. He's a James Bond villain who's won.

And the real-life MI6 agent probably got poloniumed!

Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Shroomz, that may be the truest thing anyone's ever said about Putin.
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Pope's astronomer says he would baptise an alien if it asked him

The senior Vatican scientist, Brother Guy Consolmagno, said that he would be delighted if we encountered intelligent aliens and would be happy to baptise them. His pronouncement opens up the possibility of space missionaries heading out to the stars to convert aliens to Christianity. Speaking on the eve of addressing the British Science Festival, Dr Consolmangno said he had no problem with science and religion co-existing together. But he dismissed Creationism and claimed that the revival of “intelligent design" – the controversial theory that only God can explain gaps in the theory of evolution – was “bad theology".

Dr Consolmango is one of a team of 12 astronomers working for the Vatican, said the Catholic Church had been supporting and funding science for centuries. He said he was "comfortable" with the idea of alien life and asked if he would baptise an alien, he replied "Only if they asked".

"I’d be delighted if we found life elsewhere and delighted if we found intelligent life elsewhere," he said.

“But the odds of us finding it, of it being intelligent and us being able to communicate with it - when you add them up it’s probably not a practical question.

“God is bigger than just humanity. God is also the god of angels.”

He said the characteristics synonymous with having a soul - intelligence, free will, freedom to love and freedom to make decisions may not be unique to humans. “Any entity – no matter how many tentacles it has has a soul,’ he said. However machines were unlikely to be smart or human-enough to have souls.

Dr Consolmango, 57, the curator of the Pope's meteorite collection, is a trained astronomer and planetary scientist at the Vatican’s observatory. He worked as a scientist in California for 15 years before turning to the church. He said "intelligent design" had been "hijacked" by religious fundamentalists. "The word has been hijacked by a narrow group of Creationist fundamentalists in America to mean something it did not originally mean at all. "It’s another form of the God of the gaps," he said. 'It’s bad theology in that it turns God once again into the pagan god of thunder and lightning.’ The phrase 'Intelligent Design' was centuries old and described the idea that God could be discovered in the laws of space and time and the existence of human reason.

The Vatican was 'very aware' of what was going on in the world of science, he added. The Pontifical Academy of Science, of which Stephen Hawking is a member, kept the senior cardinals and the Pope up-to-date with the latest scientific developments, he said. The discovery of aliens would raise huge theological problems for the Roman Catholic church that would make the debate over women priests, clerical abstinence and contraception pale into insignificance.
He's also the curator of the Pope's meteorite collection.
-

Coming NEVER