News Thread

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: News Thread

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The death toll is now 68.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

EINSTEIN! WAS! WRONG!
GENEVA — A pillar of physics — that nothing can go faster than the speed of light — appears to be smashed by an oddball subatomic particle that has apparently made a giant end run around Albert Einstein's theories.

Scientists at the world's largest physics lab said Thursday they have clocked neutrinos traveling faster than light. That's something that according to Einstein's 1905 special theory of relativity — the famous E (equals) mc2 equation — just doesn't happen.

"The feeling that most people have is this can't be right, this can't be real," said James Gillies, a spokesman for the European Organization for Nuclear Research. The organization, known as CERN, hosted part of the experiment, which is unrelated to the massive $10 billion Large Hadron Collider also located at the site.

Gillies told The Associated Press that the readings have so astounded researchers that they are asking others to independently verify the measurements before claiming an actual discovery.

"They are inviting the broader physics community to look at what they've done and really scrutinize it in great detail, and ideally for someone elsewhere in the world to repeat the measurements," he said Thursday.

Scientists at the competing Fermilab in Chicago have promised to start such work immediately.

"It's a shock," said Fermilab head theoretician Stephen Parke, who was not part of the research in Geneva. "It's going to cause us problems, no doubt about that — if it's true."

The Chicago team had similar faster-than-light results in 2007, but those came with a giant margin of error that undercut its scientific significance.

Other outside scientists expressed skepticism at CERN's claim that the neutrinos — one of the strangest well-known particles in physics — were observed smashing past the cosmic speed barrier of 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second).

University of Maryland physics department Chairman Drew Baden called it "a flying carpet," something that was too fantastic to be believable.

CERN says a neutrino beam fired from a particle accelerator near Geneva to a lab 454 miles (730 kilometers) away in Italy traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light. Scientists calculated the margin of error at just 10 nanoseconds, making the difference statistically significant. But given the enormous implications of the find, they still spent months checking and rechecking their results to make sure there were no flaws in the experiment.

"We have not found any instrumental effect that could explain the result of the measurement," said Antonio Ereditato, a physicist at the University of Bern, Switzerland, who was involved in the experiment known as OPERA.

The researchers are now looking to the United States and Japan to confirm the results.

A similar neutrino experiment at Fermilab near Chicago would be capable of running the tests, said Stavros Katsanevas, the deputy director of France's National Institute for Nuclear and Particle Physics Research. The institute collaborated with Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory for the experiment at CERN.

Katsanevas said help could also come from the T2K experiment in Japan, though that is currently on hold after the country's devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Scientists agree if the results are confirmed, that it would force a fundamental rethink of the laws of nature.

Einstein's special relativity theory that says energy equals mass times the speed of light squared underlies "pretty much everything in modern physics," said John Ellis, a theoretical physicist at CERN who was not involved in the experiment. "It has worked perfectly up until now."

He cautioned that the neutrino researchers would have to explain why similar results weren't detected before.

"This would be such a sensational discovery if it were true that one has to treat it extremely carefully," said Ellis.
(Of course, it may still be experimental error at this stage...but 'tis unlikely considering the sensitivity of the sensors and the fact that they've apparently run it fifteen thousand times)
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

This always happens. The scientists keeps stating again and again that it might be true and that they still need to verify it, and a lot of work still needs to be done to verify it. And, naturally, people respond as if it's all already confirmed.

Dude, the article itself repeats that it's not yet confirmed. Try not to jump the gun.

And if it is true, then that's cool. Science is all about change according to relevant data. Anything verifiably new is an exciting find.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Malchus! you're alive! This is news! :D How ya doing?
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Between work and doing nerdy research for this book I'm planning to make and get published (which will probably flop anyway :P ), I'm sadly pretty darn busy.

I drop by from time to time, though.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Can we perhaps tempt you back with some form of SECRET SANTA run by Siege?
Last edited by Booted Vulture on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

I'm not sure I really have enough time to commit to a SecSan right now. They're running us pretty hard as our department is understaffed. But we'll see in a few months.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/10 ... .html?_r=1

We need to behave toward the pirates with force.

As such, this is a step in the right direction.

Two relevant quotes:

It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation,
For fear they should succumb and go astray;
So when you are requested to pay up or be molested,
You will find it better policy to say: --

"We never pay ''any''-one Dane-geld,
No matter how trifling the cost;
For the end of that game is oppression and shame,
And the nation that plays it is lost!"

That if once you have paid him the Danegeld,
You never get rid of the Dane.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

US TEST FIRES EXPERIMENTAL MARSHMALLOW CANNON

"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

I like how the kid is hesitant about firing the cannon inside the White House but Obama just can't resist.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

"Actually, I'm going to keep your card."

One day... when an asteroid is threatening the earth... and all of science has failed... one kid... gets the call...

"Hello, yes... Timmy? This is your President. Your country needs you."

This summer... Directed by Michael Bay...

Operation: Marshmallow
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

marshmallobama

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Czernobog wrote:EINSTEIN! WAS! WRONG!
Error Undoes Faster-Than-Light Neutrino Results wrote:It appears that the faster-than-light neutrino results, announced last September by the OPERA collaboration in Italy, was due to a mistake after all. A bad connection between a GPS unit and a computer may be to blame.

Physicists had detected neutrinos travelling from the CERN laboratory in Geneva to the Gran Sasso laboratory near L'Aquila that appeared to make the trip in about 60 nanoseconds less than light speed. Many other physicists suspected that the result was due to some kind of error, given that it seems at odds with Einstein's special theory of relativity, which says nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. That theory has been vindicated by many experiments over the decades.

According to sources familiar with the experiment, the 60 nanoseconds discrepancy appears to come from a bad connection between a fiber optic cable that connects to the GPS receiver used to correct the timing of the neutrinos' flight and an electronic card in a computer. After tightening the connection and then measuring the time it takes data to travel the length of the fiber, researchers found that the data arrive 60 nanoseconds earlier than assumed. Since this time is subtracted from the overall time of flight, it appears to explain the early arrival of the neutrinos. New data, however, will be needed to confirm this hypothesis.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Man what

The Liberal Democratic Party, a center-right faction in Japanese politics, will hold a live, 12-hour marathon stream on the niconico service on Thursday, and one of the marathon's panels will discuss "the Gundam Development Project, as seriously considered by the Liberal Democratic Party."

Masaaki Taira and Hideki Niwa, two members of Japan's House of Representatives, will speak during the 8:00 p.m. panel with their guest, novelist Harutoshi Fukui. Fukui happens to be the writer of the Mobile Suit Gundam UC novels (pictured below right).

Taira reported last year that his party would consider adding the efforts to realize "piloted, two-legged walking humanoid robots" into the party's platform manifesto. Taira also posted an extended discussion about the feasibility of piloted walking robots on Twitter, using the anime and manga titles Gundam, Appleseed, and Patlabor (pictured left) as examples. Taira broached the topic after meeting with Katsuya Kanaoka, a professor of robotics from Kyoto University.

In 2008, SciencePortal.jp, a website run by the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), released a report estimating how much it would cost to build a 18-meter-tall (59-feet-tall), functioning "Morph-X" combat robot similar to those used in Gundam. The Japanese government funds about 90% of JST's budget, with the remaining coming from the agency's own operational income.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I've seen this article a few times today over the various blogs I read, and I gotta say, you have by far the best headline.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Why not have a gundam project? I can't think of a reason why not to.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

i know this isn't recent but i remembered reading about this a while ago and chuckling

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-ne ... der-228123
A MAN who tried to throw a hand grenade at policemen who were chasing him died yesterday noon after the grenade exploded in his hands.

The victim, initially identified by the police as Junjun Navarro, reportedly slipped and fell into a cliff in Sitio Tigbao in Barangay Talamban, Cebu City after pulling the grenade pin.

An explosion was heard and when the police checked on him, they saw Navarro slumped to the ground. His left hand and leg were torn off.

Police investigators are still verifying the man’s identity after finding an identification card in his wallet with a different name and photo.

Aside from the hand grenade, operatives also recovered a 9 mm pistol from Navarro, which was reportedly stolen from a Cebu City policeman.

The victim was clad in black jacket, gray shirt, black pants and brown leather shoes.

Investigators said he appeared to be in his early 30s and was about 5’2” tall.

At 11 a.m. yesterday, the Talamban Police Station received a call from a resident of Tigbao who reported the presence of an armed man in their neighborhood.

Five policemen, including Talamban Police Station Chief Michael Angelo Beltran, responded to the complaint.

Beltran said that when they arrived in Tigbao, they saw four men who were allegedly transacting near a store. When the unidentified men saw the policemen, they scampered.

Two of the men who are believed to be drug pushers eluded arrest.

Navarro tried to run but was cornered at a vacant lot near a subdivision in Tigbao.

“We warned him and yelled at him asking him to stop running but he did not listen,” Beltran said.

He said Navarro continued to run, that’s why they chased him.

Beltran said they were about 30 meters away from Navarro when they heard an explosion.

When they check the area below the cliff, they saw Navarro with a leg and an arm torn off. He was dead.

Police arrested one of Navarro’s companions and detained him in the Talamban Police Station.

Virgilio Makiling, 62, a carpenter, said he was friends with Navarro, but he told the police that he knew nothing of Navarro’s background.

He said Navarro went to his workplace in Talamban yesterday. They talked for a few minutes before deciding to eat.

“I was surprised when we went to Tigbao and he stopped to buy shabu. Then the police came and we all ran away. I stopped running because I did not do anything, that is why the police managed to get hold of me,” Makiling said in Bisaya.

Policemen found a driver’s license in Navarro’s wallet but it belonged to a Joevimen Gaudite. Investigators said they will verify who owns the license because the picture did not match Navarro’s face.

The 9mm pistol recovered from Navarro’s body is reportedly owned by a policeman assigned at the Cebu City Police Office.

Investigation and Detective Management Branch Chief Bonifacio Garciano said the firearm was stolen from the policeman’s house a year ago.

“We will still have to verify all the information here, including Junjun’s identity,”
Garciano said.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

'You may get permits, but the NPA will be waiting,' Duterte tells mining firms
DAVAO CITY, Philippines -- Davao City Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte told mining companies that plan to operate here that they may secure permits to do so but will still have to contend with the communist New People’s Army.

Duterte’s warning came on the heels of the signing by President Benigno Aquino III of Executive Order No. 79, which is meant to increase government’s share from mining revenues as well as ensure that mining firms abide with environmental and other laws.

The EO also orders the Department of Interior and Local Government to ensure that local legislation on mining does not run counter to national policy.

Duterte and his daughter, Sara, who is mayor of the city, are staunchly against the entry of large-scale mining into Davao because of what they see as the industry’s destructive nature.

The vice mayor said mining companies interested in getting into Davao will find it very difficult to get the approval of the city council and other local agencies.

“You better get a permit … If anybody goes into mining business without a permit, without the necessary clearance from the government, we just request the Philippine Army (to go after you), to say the least,” he said.

But, he added, even if mining firms secure the needed permits to operate here, this was “not counting the strong objection of the NPA, who hostage mining employees. Of course, I will not stop them (NPA). I cannot ask the NPA to like mining. That is their business. If they want to do something about that, that is their business.”

Just recently, Jorge Madlos or Ka Oris, spokesman of the National Democratic Front in Mindanao, called on NPA units in the southern Philippines to “be more daring in their defense of people’s interest against the greed and rapacity of local ruling classes and their imperialist master.”

Late last year, hundreds of NPA fighters raided three large mining firms in Surigao del Norte, destroying up to a billion pesos’ worth of equipment and facilities.

The latest anti-mining operation by the NPA was only last Friday, when they raided the VPO Mining Co. in Rosario town, Agusan del Sur, seizing weapons and taking three executives -- including the owner’s son -- hostage.

The three were released the next day.

However, the NDF in Northeastern Mindanao denied reports they took demanded money in exchange for the hostage’s freedom.

“We would like to make it clear that there is absolutely no truth to the claim that the three top officials of the company were held in exchange for a sum of money,” the regional NDF spokesperson, Ka Mariya Malaya, said in a statement. “The release of the said officials would have been done earlier if not for the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines)’s offensive operation.”

She said they managed to release the three to local officials she did not name only after the military agreed to suspend operations.
A quick primer on this Duterte guy.

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

So, he's basically threatening to sick the commie guerrillas on any mining firms that come into his city?

EDIT: that TIME article makes the mayor sound like the freaking Godfather...
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Siege wrote:So, he's basically threatening to sick the commie guerrillas on any mining firms that come into his city?

There are lots of Godfathers in Feelipenis...
There is only war.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Siege wrote:So, he's basically threatening to sick the commie guerrillas on any mining firms that come into his city?

He's basically saying "I hate you guys, but if the Presidente says that mining is okay, and if you get your permits from the national government in order, okay you can go ahead and mine... BUT THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO IF THOSE COMMUNIST REBELS RUIN YOUR SHIT AND I CAN'T STOP THEM FROM DOING WHATEVER THEY WANT TO YOUR SORRY ASSES. By the way, I hate you guys. ;) "