Official Movie Review Thread

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Equiliari

Re: Official Movie Review Thread

Post by Equiliari »

Me having to ignore the batman reviews for now, seeing as it does not come until this Friday here, I am going to review a different movie.

I was surprised to see Starship Troopers 3 had been made. I am a fan of the universe, and although the second movie was a bit of a disappointment I decided to go and have a looksie.
Now it is quite clear that this movie's budget is a lot less than film nr. 1. It is evident in the rather poor special effects that are plasticky and worse than film nr. 1, and the sound effects that have a couple of reoccurring sounds here and there. But despite that, whoever made that movie did manage to get my interest.
First of all they are back into the grand location scheme. More planets, more space, more bugs, less attempted horror. The political undertones are back, the news reports and the "would you like to buy (or "know") more" is back. And Rico plus a couple of others are back from film nr. 1... not the same actors on all, I hope not at least.

What makes this movie a must see?... Absolutely nothing. But did I enjoy watching it? Oh yes.
First of all they go back to the good ol' bug war in big desert with pewpew weapons. Put in some humorous gore here and there. And finally... FINALLY... The exoskeletons which I wanted to appear in all the earlier films make an apperance. Now, due to the low budget, these exoskeletons are a bit... awfully made... and they get too little screen time... but hey, finally!
Also the storyline is quite interesting... ish... I mean.. .its not much of a story, but, the little that is there made me happy... And the bug structure looks a bit more like the Zerg from StarCraft with this movie. Not to spoil much, but the brain bugs are like cerebrates.

All in all this movie, while it looks like an episode of Star Trek (Not talking bad about it...) due to its effects, is enjoyable to the fans of the first film.
"What your eyes see and ears hear, the mind believes. But eyes and ears alike can be deceived, only the mind alone can know true reality".
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I have seen The Dark Knight today - and every problem that I had with Batman Begins (most notably confusing fight scenes and an anticlimactic third act) is gone. I must say that it's a great movie, both as a superhero comic book adaptation and a "hardboiled cop vs. criminal genius" movie where the hardboiled cop is dressed as a giant bat and the criminal genius as a punk rock clown. It's a great deal more action-oriented and not quite as complex plot-wise as Heat, but still very similar in feel if a lot bleaker despite a lower bodycount. In fact, at the end I felt kinda depressed because the movie is all about how what Batman does is ethically speaking far from the right thing... but Harvey Dent, the real hero whose purpose is to make sure that Gotham City will no longer need Batman, not only ends up stooping much lower than even Batman. His efforts turn out to have been more or less in vain, its conclusion a pyrrhic victory for Gotham City.

The movie's only real fault, though, is that the hostage situation the climax revolves around seems very, very difficult to orchestrate properly - it did fall apart in the end of course, but even setting them up in the first place looks like quite the feat and somewhat expensive to do. Then again, the movie shows the Joker to be an extremely intelligent person (which is the primary reason he's so terrifying) and it wasn't as far-fetched as the climax of Batman Begins.

Some other observations:

Joker wasn't as weird as I expected, but damn if he wasn't one scary motherfucker. He's less a raving maniac than a genius who happens to be actively amoral as a personal principle (phew, that was a lot of alliteration!) and, erm, have a sense for the theatrical. 8-)

Yay for the William Fichtner cameo!

I thought the Hispanic lady cop was supposed to be Renée Montoya until her name was revealed to be Anna Ramirez. Whatever.

Two-Face looked like a T-800 - except, you know, not Arnie.

What happened to the Joker's hot rod, I remember seeing photos of a purple vintage car customized for this movie as the Joker's ride? Maybe it's in some scenes cut from the theatrical release.

I liked how Batman's struggle with his conscience was also portrayed in subtle nuances, like Christian Bale's performance: When in costume, he seems almost as scary as The Joker; and when in civilian, he seems obviously acting like a person who's hiding something terrible. Maybe that's not as much acting considering Mr. Bale is rather mentally unstable in Real Life, or perhaps just method acting working too well.

When you think about it, it's rather funny what Scarecrow is apparently doing after his plan in Begins went wrong...
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Dark fucking Knight. Can I say more?

Ok, well, let's just say I'm not the movie type, and the only movie I have on DVD (which means I really like it so much that I bother my folks to get it) is 300. Dark Knight is gonna be with 300 when it gets on DVD. That's how damn good it is.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I just rewatched The Dark Knight and goddamn, it was... mang.

It had emotional resonance.

That's how fucking awesome it is. It destroys all other superhero comic book movies. I mean, those with pretensions of depth, faux drama and characterization, those that aspire to be more but end up being less. Stuff like Spidermang and Stupormang Returns and maybe even the Bulk - they don't come close. (Ironmang gets a pass because it was just all in the name of Good Fun.)

This is as good as it gets, gentlemens.

I mean, damn it. The scenes with the culmination of Harvey Dent's degeneration was just... well, I got a little teary. Goddamn it, man. They made the character so goddamn heart-wrenching. Poor guy.

And, damn. The Joker is the epitome of the movie antagonist. He's pure fucking evil, that's what. There's no rhyme, no reason. Everything he does is directed to cause more human suffering and everything he utters is a lie - he says nothing but lies, nothing but deceit, to further his ultimate goal of perpetuating human suffering. There's no nobility in him, no humor, no tragedy (like, say, being driven mad by a vat of acid). There's no origin, no beginning, no causation. He's just... there. He's just fucking evil.

In Batmang Begins we had Ra's Al Ghul and his goal was to destroy Gotham because he saw that it had become a crime-infested cesspool of human degeneration. He wanted to drown Gotham in the very same excrement it has festered in. He had some misguided and warped sense of justice - a counterpoint to the Dark Knight, the opposite side of the same coin.

In The Dark Knight, the Joker does the exact opposite. He wants to destroy Gotham because he sees that things are changing for the better. He doesn't just want to destroy Gotham, but his goals are the exact opposite of Ra's. He doesn't want justice, there's nothing in him. He's not even out to destroy Gotham. He's out to destroy humanity. He wants to turn people into animals - he wants to warp and erase everything and anything that is good in a person. He did it to Harvey Dent, he nearly did it to the rest of Gotham. He is inhumanity made manifest.

And, in The Dark Knight - we just see how selfless Batman is. We see an examination of what it is to be a hero - and to be more than a hero. To sacrifice yourself for that purpose. He's lost everyone. Rachel, his childhood friend and his love, the thing that makes him not want to remain Batman. Harvey Dent, his best hope of achieving that goal. He loses friends and allies, Commissioner Gordon has to hunt him down now, and Lucius Fox may abandon him for going too far... But he does it all for Gotham, for the people of Gotham. They might not have the best hero, they might not even have a hero - but someone has to make a stand for them in light of all the madness and inhumanity. He is the goddamn Batman.

Goddamn it.

See, this is what makes a fantastic movie. Chris Nolan didn't render the Batmobile in CGI - enlisting Industrial Light and Magic to do some Transformer/Ironmangy effects for it. He actually paid for a C-130 to fly over the Hong Kong skyline. In Begins, they built parts of Gotham inside a movie set.

Oh no, someone is going to rant about how CGI is inferior to other forms of special effects/miniatures/claymation.

Wrong.

What I am saying is that it's so easy to create spectacles with methods like CGI. You see it in Transformers, you see it in Ironmang, you see it most blatantly in the Spidermang movies. You see it in other three hour spectacles like Lord of the Rings and King Kong. Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, Micheal Bay, they do it and they do it good and it IS a spectacle.

But it takes true talent, true effort, true skill and true greatness to create a spectacle without these tricks - without light and magic. The means of these effects don't even matter, computer or claymation or models or miniatures.

What we saw in The Dark Knight was a spectacle entirely different from any contemporary summer blockbuster. It was a cerebral spectacle, one brought together not by effects of sights or sounds, but by plot. By actors and actresses. By direction. By interaction. By drama. By character. By talent and skill and sweat and blood and effort.

By goddamn emotional resonance.

Goddamn!
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Shroomy is starting to sound like.... a professional critic! :shock:
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Saw TDK today. Holy shit.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Grafs

Post by Grafs »

Shroom, nice analysis=article about TDK; your writing skills have really improved!

I watched the movie twice just to make sure I didn't miss any of the little details, and I have to say that the plot was very complicated. TDK deserves that 95% rating, because it isn't just any superhero movie: TDK was a crime thriller operatic piece that just so happened to have a "hero" (not even a super, in the strict sense) as a main character. However, I feel that the pace of the movie was just too fast; and I wasn't able to appreciate all the fine details until my second viewing.

SPOILER ALERT:
Did anyone notice how The Joker screwed Batman over by lying to him the location of Rachel and Dent? That's why Batman saved Dent even though he said he's save Rachel... what brilliantly sick bastard the Joker was. Heath Ledger wasn't the Joker all along, but the Joker was Heath Ledger. Really sucks how he kicked the bucket, thus depriving us of more Joker brilliance.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Exactly. The Joker has nothing in him, no humor, no whimsies, no soul, no conscience, not even an origin or an end - just nothing but malice.

Fucking hell. We needed this movie.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Upon walking out of the theater after watching The Dark Knight, one of my friends said this: "There's something literary about this movie."

And I think he's justified in saying that. TDK isn't a typical superhero vehicle - no gratuitous sequences of Batman taking down waves of mooks with his oh-so-clever gadgets, just a lot of straight-on shooting and brawling. It's true that the skyhook and the Bat-pod scenes were pretty spectacular and Batman only managed to get the better of the Joker with his spring-loaded arm spikes, but all the whiz-bang does not overpower the general atmosphere of a dark film. Even Batman himself isn't the sole star - I could call it a buddy cop film between him and Jim Gordon, but that would be doing two other main characters injustice - Harvey Dent and of course, the Joker.

I really have to give it to Christopher Nolan. The shakycam fighting is gone; the romance is not tacked on; and all those recurring lines which were turning bits of Batman Begins into a smug quipfest managed to achieve thematic this time round. Above all, the plot grabbed me all the way down the spiral into its tragic conclusion. One can argue that Nolan sacrificed realism for inexorable tension (seriously, how does the Joker sneak bombs onto everything?), but the acting must take credit for that too. Shroom has already waxed lyrical about Heath Ledger's role in the film, so I won't.

TDK wasn't your average action flick either.

I hit 4chan discussion threads afterward and came across an interesting point - John McClane, who has no compunctions against killing, could have defeated the Joker. It's true, I admit. He could have just shot him. He could have run him over with the bike. Even in the comics he is a very specific archnemesis who simply doesn't do well when he goes up against, or even shares the same universe with, other superheroes. My personal justification is that he has crazy preptime powers completely on par with Batman himself, but that's not the point. Any sufficiently badass action hero could have charged up Joker's abandoned skyscraper and do as well as Batman himself, but they would still find that saving the two ferries and the hundreds of lives on it was simply a diversion. Just like the bait-and-switch with Rachel and Dent, Batman fell for it and Bruce Willis would have fallen for it - he would have expected the villain to talk straight even more. In the end, Batman couldn't save Dent either - Gotham's future is in doubt and his reputation is in tatters. TDK goes beyond the childish assumption that putting enough lead in enough people fast enough can always save the day, and that is what the Joker with all his disbelief-stretching powers seems to show. He might have been locked away, but the mobs and the corruption remains.

The film is dark, so is it realistic? I don't know. What it does do is stand head and shoulders above the rising wave of camp, transcend the unironic blockbusters of the nineties and stride forth to deliver a message without tripping over its own shoelaces.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Shroom,

That's some class-A analysis, mang. I have a few points of contention, not so much things I disagree with, just things I saw differently.

The Joker...he doesn't lie. He misdirects. He says, right as we are introduced to him with the mob bosses, that he's a magician. He creates illusions, both illusions of order and illusions of mayhem. He tells Dent that there is no plan, implying that everything occurs to him at the moment, either he does it right then or he doesn't do it at all. I don't think that's the case. I don't think he exactly planned everything he did, but the Joker is such an insane character in this film, that I wonder if he might not be considered something of a savant, a literal criminal genius. Some part of him must have seen all this coming, and put the pieces in play so that they would turn out the way he wanted them to. He didn't plan it - he saw it. And he saw that he would have to play his part in it.

He almost comes across as a meta-character, someone who knows everything the audience knows. In a way, we are much closer to the Joker than we are to Batman or Gordon, because we share the same knowledge. It's like the Joker is sitting in the audience with us, saying "watch this part. This is gonna be great." Because we can feel his presence right before something goes wrong. Now, that's probably a mixture of three things: Heath Ledger's performance, Nolan's directing of that performance, and the silhouette of that character in the audience's minds, from what they knew of him before the movie. I'm talking about the Joker from The Killing Joke, and the Animated Series, and Jack Nicholson's performance in the original Batman. I know I definitely felt like the Joker was the star of this movie.

There's an old saying in superhero comics that the "villain" is actually the protagonist of such stories - they put everything in motion, they drive the story forward, and their actions define the theme and mood of the story. The "hero" simply reacts, it is his role to oppose the villain, to be his antagonist. We read superhero stories for the villains, and how they will be overcome, not, as we'd like to think, for the hero, and how they will overcome the villain. I don't think this is true of all superhero stories, but it is definitely true of The Dark Knight. The Joker is what we go to see this movie for, and only after the Joker is out of the picture do we fully realize the ramifications of all this for Batman. In other words, we don't see the whole trick until the magician disappears in a puff of smoke.
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, I think that's probably because this Joker wasn't just a character.

This movie was dark and grim and gritty and caused suffering for everyone because the Joker's only intent is to cause suffering for everyone. There's no pretense of character development with him. No origin, no justification... he's distilled antagonism. Nolan didn't bother with the whole veneer of whatever, the Joker's sole purpose in the story as decreed by director, plot, and writing and the whole 'reality of the fiction', is to cause human suffering. And he knows it and loves it! :twisted:

EDIT:

Editted some goddamn typos in my previous post. Like "selfish" Batman. I meant SELFLESS! AUGH!

WHORES

Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

It's not anything you'll find in theaters, so I don't know if it fits the thread's intentions, but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of this.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

It's a musical. About a mad scientist. And unrequited love. With Firefly's Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris in the lead roles. Created by Joss Whedon. And his brothers.
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Vagrant Orpheus

Post by Vagrant Orpheus »

Wait, what? The official site has a full video of the three acts combined? And here was me thinking they'd taken them down and it only being available on iTunes. I mean, I watched it back when each act was freely and publically available, and I loved it so much. I was considering posting a review of it back then, but opted not to.

I'll say this; The songs are pretty much all awesome. Captain Hammer is totally awesome, Fillion brings an incredible smugness to him. NPH totally makes Horrible/Billy a somewhat believable and real character. And we get Jossed in the end. As they sing in On The Rise "There's no happy ending. Not for me anyway."

Awesome stuff.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They put it back on? I thought capitalist pig dogs were going to make us pay to watch it on iTunes or some other capitalistic iBrained scheme to oppress the working-class proletariat bolsheviks?

Well, cool! FREE SOUP!

(I have seen it, and yeah, it's totally AWESOME!)

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Well, finally saw "The Dark Knight" after the long long wait, and I can't help feeling some what underwhelmed. In this case, I think 'spoilers' are well named.

Over the last couple of weeks, in the run up to seeing I've watched "Batman Begins","Batman: Gotham Knight" and "Batman Beyond: The Return Of The Joker" to be prepared. On thing I've noticed about those titles in comparison with Dark Knight is that those tales were actually about Batman By Comparison this film is either "Joker: The Movie" or "Two-Face: The Life and Times of Harvey Dent"

The film predominantly centres itself of Heath Ledger's Joker. And I really can't agree with people who think Ledger should win an Oscar for his performance. The Joker was just Batshit crazy, i don't think it's that hard to pull off. Plus that lisp thing he did with his tongue was really weird.

Instead of showing things happening; most of the character's deeper stuff were simply blatantly told to the audience through Soliloquies.

In the end the chemistry between the cast present in Begins between Batman and variously Fox, Gordon and Alfred just didn't seem to be there. Likewise there was nothing between Batman and Joker like there was between him and Ra's Al Ghul.

I seem to recall reading people saying that first comic book movies often fall short due to having to tell the origin but in the end, that's more or less the most interesting part of some superheroes: why they do what they do.

As I said before because they felt the origin had been dealt with in the first film I didn't really feel this was a film about Batman. It merely had him in it.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, all of the events in the movie have direct effects on Batman's character and his actions have effects on other people as well. It's not just about him, it's about the rest of Gotham as well. Through the Joker, you see how the whole situation is fucking over the people of Gotham, through Gordon you can see what's up with the GCPD, and through Harvey Dent you can see how a lot of their hopes and dreams for a better place end up going down the proverbial shitter.

Would you rather have Batman/Bruce Wayne's stuff told through (Spiderman-style) soliloquies? I thought how he was forced to act through the events of the movie was pretty good character development, rather than doing character development through cringe-worthy (Spiderman-style) dialog.

We already had Batman musing and brooding in Begins. Now it's time for some action, a LOT of it. Not just action in a Moby sense, but action in a... well, in a greater-than-explosions sense! We already know why he does what he does, so The Dark Knight goes beyond that and shows us something else entirely.

Okay, it doesn't focus solely on Batman - but what's wrong with focusing on the effects of his actions? The consequences - madmangs blowing shit up, good guys getting their faces burned off and going nuts, the entire town panicking in fear, and the good guys barely managing to keep up with everything. I rather liked it because of that.

Bleh. WATCH IT AGAIN :P

Vagrant Orpheus

Post by Vagrant Orpheus »

Well, Booted, you seem to be in the vast minority. And I disagree with a Batman movie having to be about Batman. Batman is reflective of Gotham, at any one point in time, he always has been. He's just a mere mortal, and he relies on a hell of a lot of other people to do what he does, so I was really impressed that we actually get a sense for how Gotham might realistically see the Dark Knight, and in such a crime-infested city people start mimicking him. That's a deep sense of a city that is fundamentally rotten.

Additionally, I wouldn't say it's Joker: The Movie. He certainly takes mainstage, but then that's always been the way to me, other than Batman Begins. As was mentioned earlier, the villain is the protagonist, the one who forces the storyline to move along. With Batman's origins out of the way, they deliberately swapped to focusing on the "World's Greatest Detective" aspect of him, hence all that stuff with bullet reassembly, which cops have relatives in hospital and the like. It's to showcase a different aspect of Batman, and it works really well in my mind.

Also, I disagree with the chemistry thing. I felt he worked much better with Gordon and Fox, in portraying their differing opinions on things and how both men at some point believe Batman's taking it too far. This is an integral part, the fact that Batman is an extremist. I liked that aspect. Also, with Batman and Joker, considering they have two real face to face encounters, there shouldn't be any chemistry, really. The Joker is the opposite of Batman, but not in an opposites attract kind of way. I don't think they're meant to have chemistry.
Grafs

Post by Grafs »

I just watched Fist of Legend and Jet Li was AWESOME and the fight scenes were brutal, fast, and very very cool. For an old movie dubbed in English, it was a really good kung fu movie. Definitely one of the better martial arts movies out there. The story was kinda corny though, since it was just about Chinese and Japanese beating each other to hell during the Sino-Jap war era of the 30's. But what it lacks in story, it makes up for in fights. Epic battles lasting 10 to 20 minutes at a time... heck, i suppose more than 2/3 of the 1h40m was spent on the fight scenes!
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Last night I re-watched Independence Day... and man, this movie has not aged well. Remember how I complained that Transformers was way too long and made absolutely no sense? Well, Independence Day is at least ten times worse about both of those... I could go into detail about this beyond how most important events in the plot happen by near-total coindidences, which is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the mountain of illogic that is ID4, but am not in the mood for that right now. What really doesn't help at all is that on second viewing I actually found most of ID4's action scenes rather underwhelming even though my TV set has a fairly big screen.

I still did like some things about it, though - the design of the aliens and their ships, especially the interior of the mothership near the climax. And I can't get myself to truly hate a movie where Brent Spiner plays a vaguely hippie-ish mad scientist who works at Area 51 and the guy who went on to play Jayne in Firefly shoots a Grey-ish alien wearing a vaguely Tyranid-like biosuit that comes back from the dead.

That said, I'd love to see a version where the cropduster pilot does his kamikaze attack on the alien battleship in an actual cropduster plane. That would have been awesome, if a bit stupid.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Peregrin wrote:That said, I'd love to see a version where the cropduster pilot does his kamikaze attack on the alien battleship in an actual cropduster plane. That would have been awesome, if a bit stupid.
That's how it was in the novelization! :lol:

Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

I think there was an alternate ending like that on the DVD, or at least I remember it being advertised on one of those horrid Fox preview thingies before the X-Men DVD.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I've heard they changed the ending not because it would have been the cherry on the sundae of concentrated stupids that is ID4, but because this Neo-Nazi propaganda sci-fi novel called The Turner Diaries ended with the protagonist kamikazeing the Pentagon in a cropduster plane carrying a nuclear bomb. And the people making the movie did not want to look like Neo-Nazis.
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Because I feel like reviewing the last many movies I've seen...

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
It's a pity this movie takes so many liberties with history, because few other movies I've seen ever truly capture the true essence of a turning point in history: Entire cultures going extinct, leaders struggling to control processes they themselves started, heroes simply trying to make the best of the situations they've been thrust into in order to survive. You might think this impossible, but this movie not only feels extremely epic despite being less than two hours long... no, part of the reason it's so truly epic is that it fits so much substance into a concise, fast-paced narrative that heightens the sheer sense of conflict. Every single moment here carries such an immense weight, no matter how quiet. I must admit, though, that director Michael Mann goes a bit too far sometimes with this fast-and-lean approach to storytelling because quite a few major characters get surprisingly little screentime. Well, I guess that's what the expanded edition DVD is for. :P

Hero
Okay, speaking of unrealistic historical epics... :lol:. No, seriously, this one is so honest about making a fairytale out of history that I can't get myself to chastise how weird the fight scenes get. In fact, that would be missing the point... and as greatly choreographed, shot and framed as "warriors leaping around and running on both walls and the water while fighting" stuff is, however, it's probably a testament to how good a movie this is that it's the rather complex plot that really makes it worth watching. Well, sorta. I think I'm much more forgiving of Hero's lack of subtlety because of how absolutely outrageous its entire aesthetic is. My favourite element of it was, by the way, a seemingly minor detail - if you pay attention, you'll notice that the various assassins' fencing styles reflect their personalities. In any case, this is the sort of movie that on paper shouldn't work at all but in practice somehow does.

Easy Rider
People apparently either hate or love this movie. Guess what, I'm in the later camp here. It's absolutely wonderfully shot (natural lighting for the win!), the soundtrack is of course awesome and as a time capsule of the late sixties it's pretty damn perfect. Even the movie being as awkwardly structured as it seems to be I don't mind, I think it works for this kind of existentialist voyage type movie... okay, I think the ending was even more out-of-nowhere than No Country for Old Men's. Anyway, Easy Rider is really kinda hard to describe because there really isn't that much of a story but it still keeps its themes surprisingly subtle. Apparently a lot of its intended audience didn't understand that it was actually somewhat critical of them for that reason - the movie finds a way to make its text-text look like subtext. I still dig it a lot and think it would make a great double bill with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I mean, it has a stoned Jack Nicholson blabbering on about UFOs. What's not to love about a stoned Jack Nicholson blabbering on about UFOs?

Jurassic Park
This might come as a shock to you: I've never seen this movie, even if I did read the original Michael Crichton novel ages ago. (and to be honest don't remember that much of it) Well, better late than never I guess. The special effects sometimes don't look quite as good as they must have done back in 1993, but most of the time they're still as great as they've always been. Everything involving the T-Rex is certainly made of pure awesomeness, that's not for debate except possibly a scene in the end that uses the T-Rex as an obvious deus ex machina. Still, it had different species of carnivorous dino fighting each other so it was still cool. :mrgreen: My favourite dinosaur scene, however, was neither with the T-Rex or the raptors but with the Dilophosaurus... I think it was the fact that they made it look rather dragon-like especially with its spitting corrosive venom (how awesome is that?). It's weird, then, that they swapped the sizes of Dilosophosaurus and the Velociraptor. Though I can comfort myself with the fact that the Utahraptor, which is as big as the Velociraptors in the movie, was discovered during production. Wait a second... T-Rex and Utahraptors? All that's missing from Jurassic Park now is Dromiceiomimus and the dinos having conversations about philosophy while they stomp on people and buildings! :mrgreen: As for problems with Jurassic Park other than the filmmakers failing dinosaur biology :mrgreen: forever there's also the fact that the plot relies a bit too much upon the human characters acting stupidly. To begin with, the movie explicitly spells out that Hammond is running the park with too small a security crew, which kinda ruins its own message because I sure as hell didn't get the impression that it was inevitable things would go as wrong as they did no matter how often Jeff Goldblum said so. Sam Neill also splits up with the kid when they get to the restaurant, something I wouldn't do in the same situation. These things don't ruin Jurassic Park totally, they're just a little annoying in a movie directed by the same person who made Jaws.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I just saw Kung Fu Panda and mang - it is TOTALLY TITS AWESOME!

The blend of silly and funni with AWESOME and comedy and SRS (kung fu) BSNSS really works. Seriously. The Ancient Monk Turtle character is totally awesome, and mang - it's all totally badass!

It's a wonderful homage to all the kung fu movies out there, and an excellent fable.

This is from a guy who HAETS CGI animul movies.

KUNG FU FIGHTING!

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Street Kings and Wall-E were both awesome. Watch them!