Official Movie Review Thread

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: Official Movie Review Thread

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

holy shit

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Dude Shroom, what is that awesome video? I'm on an iPad currently (computer in repair right now) so can't really go to the original YouTube vide on their site or see the title. Is that a new Speed Racer?

But that Quentin Tarantino movie was also crazy, with cowboys and sexy Chinese assassins. The last part of the trailer ade me laugh a bit.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Its an animu movie called REDLINE

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I'm so looking forward to this!

"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

I AM THE LAW.

Just be thankful. Stallone didn't decide to do another massively belated sequel to one of his best loved movies. ;)
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

OH man, I can't wait for that movie. I loved the comics and the Stallone movie in a sense and hope this time he doesn't take his helmet off.

THE LAWL!
-Joseph Campbell
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Urban says he doesn't and he wouldn't have taken the job if he was going to be asked to.

Karl is 'one of us' :P
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight Rises in the cinema. Late tot he party, I know, but... whoa. I continue to be amazed of what Christopher Nolan can do with a comic book movie when you give him a billion gajillion dollars, an IMAX camera and time enough to sprinkle a dissertation or two worth of symbolism and themes over a film.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

WHURSTHA TRIGGURH

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

JUDGEMENT TIME!

Off naked Chatham show,
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

I'm going to have to see Dark Knight Rises soon before it becomes too hard to avoid spoilers.

Last weekend my beloved and I saw Brave, which follows the usual formula of princess-who-has-to-get-married-but-doesn't-want-to-and-is-misunderstood, but makes it about her relationship with her parents rather than all about her finding herself. It's a very nice film with great animation, a nice storyline and lots of funny touches that don't, in my opinion, go too over the top. The story is incredibly predictable and the moral is very simple and basic, but, well, if you are, like me, the kind of person who watches films for children you shouldn't really complain about that.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

DREDD 3D

I am the... SPOILERS

So, I saw this yesterday. And, bearing in mind my only experience with Judge Dredd is the Stallone movie, I thought it was pretty good. Worth watching once if nothing else.

It's obviously a lot more down to earth and real than Stallone's version, both in style and the scope of the plot. So it doesn't verge into the same 'so bad, its good territory'. But trying to take it on its own...

Karl Urban is the titular Dredd a veteran Judge; basically the entire justice system in his own right. Under the orders of the Chief Justice, He undertakes a one-day assessment of Judge Anderson, a rookie who just failed the course for being a Judge but is getting this chance because she's psychic.

Entirely by random chance, they decide to check out a triple murder committed by Lena Headley's drug boss. And after apprehending a gang member with essential information, they get locked in Headley's sky scraper base. And end up fighting their way all the way up to top of the skyscraper to kill Headley.

It's a pretty basic plot to tell you the truth and Headley's villian is sadly unremarkable. (i say sadly because i like the actress) She feels like she needed to read the overlord's hand book or something. But really her chief mistake was commiting the murders by throwing people 200 hundred floors down the atrium of her own skyscraper, attracting the attention of the Judges. BUT the movie does offer a rationalé for this. There are so many serious crimes committed than the Judges can only respond to 6% of them. So it was just blind luck that the murders happen to pop up on the screen when Anderson was picking a crime to go investigate pretty much at random.

Now the 3D is very much part of this film. And It seems to effects of the drug were pretty much design as an excuse to exihibit slow motion scenes in 3D. I'm not sure 3D has the full effect it should have on me as i'm heavily right eye dominant but that was ok.

Good points: Urban is a very good Dredd, Imposing and stern but with just the barest hint of dry humour and flexibility that makes it stands out. Anderson also puts in a good performance in my opinion and the psychic abilities and back and forth with their captive is ok.

The action is pretty good but the film is quite incredibly gorey. Showing the effects of corpses hitting the ground after falling 200 stories.

I thought it could actually have done with a tadge more exposition about the future world and certain plot developments. Towards the end, Lena whistles up four corrupt Judges to use as elite mooks like its nothing. Now this may be the influence of the stallone film again but nothing in DREDD led me to believe that was a realistic possibility.

So anyway, its not so bad its good. It's just good...-ish.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Hunh, looking at rotten tomatoes it got a 91 percent with 52 reviews. Well, this film looks nice and when I get the time and money I'm off to watch it.
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Behold the new Robocop:
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I gotta be the only person on the internet who doesn't hate the armor/suit/whatever.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

He needs police written across his chest in mirror writing.

Not much wrong. Not much right either. Tots generic.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I don't hate it. It's far too boring to hate. It is in fact so bland you coulda told me it was from any one of a dozen of franchises and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

Off naked Chatham show,
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I'm pretty sure this is what happens when Shroom or I design a trailer.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Total Recall (2012)

What to say about this film? I mean, I don't want to poo poo it just for being a remake. The 'original' wasn't that great to me. Just compelling in this bugshit weirditity. I wanted to be pleasant surprised by it but really, It was just bleh.

I'll start with the inevitable comparisons. It doesn't play up the 'is this real or implant' stuff nearly as much as the original. Which really is to the detriment of the film. The expand to the roll of the wife and delete Richter. There are at least a couple of homages to the original that I spotted first the very obvious the triple breasted hooker (in a 12A no less) and one slight more subtle when Quaid is trying to sneak through customs. The camera instead of following the old asian guy he's actually disguise as, follows the woman in front who bears more than a passing resemblance to Schwarzenegger's disguise in the original. Now these were cute but they sort of underlined for me that this was a remake and it wasn't really trying to stand on its own two legs.

So as a film on its own; it was weird. Apparently at some point we (the UK) revoked australia's independence and took back our middle ages french territories and gassed the rest of the world to make uninhabitable. Then the lack of living space turned is to crazy despots. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be cunning political commentary or something or its just dumb. Anyway There's a resistance but it doesn't actually do anything because all the bombings atrributed to it were really done by the government. The government has a huge army of robots and is planning to invade australia... for some reason. Quaid has memories of a mass deactivation code for the robots that the resistance can extract and doing so he leads the bad guys to the resistance. Quaid however manages to stop the invasion and lives happily ever after,

This film is just dumb. The science of gravity in the elevetor's is all wonky. it's either all on and or all off. Likewise while in zero G Quad propells himself around with his gun recoil. Cool in theory I'm pretty sure it'd be hard to make work in practise for reasons of centre of mass.

But who cares about scenes right? It's an AKSHUN FILM, and yet somehow it makes the action and chases sequences seem dull and repetitive. The first one was all about quaid jumping down from ledges onto roof tops. The next was a pile of hover cars that were hard to tell apart and the last relied heavily on jumping from elevator cube to elevator cube.

Anyway to try and end of some sort of positive note; what did i like? Umm... the styline of the future society and future tech was quite nice. Apparently in the future, all glass everywhere can by used as a computer monitor. Just slap a comuter on it and away you go. Glowing neon tattos. Robot cops everywhere. It was pretty fun. And something silly and yet awesome. Doug Quaid has a... phone hand. A phone in his hang! that he then cuts out and gives to a dude.

Also it gets points for introducing a really lame plot device; a mass shut down code for the robot army. And then have it turn out to be total bullshit false hope to reel in the resistance and nothing more. Which was cool.

So total recall. Bad film that I really wish wasn't. I don't really regret having done to see it. But I probs shan't ever watch it again. But then I'm not sure I'll ever watch the original again either.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Not strictly a movie, but I'm having a lot of fun watching Lilyhammer. It's a Norwegian show... starring Stevie Van Zandt, of E-Street Band and Sopranos fame. I have no idea how this crazy mix came into being, but Little Steven plays a New York underboss who goes into witness protection and ends up in the Norwegian town of Lilyhammer, where he soon finds that in order to make a new life for himself, he'll need the skills of his old one. Hilarity ensues!

Off naked Chatham show,
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Oh hey lilyhammer! I love that series. Is the second season coming out anytime soon? I know Stevie Van Zadt did something after season 1 but I was wandering if there was any news about it over there?

I hate typing on an iPad..
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

It's been confirmed that there will be a second series, but since Stevie is still on tour with Bruce Springsteen it'll be a while longer.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

HAYWIRE is an awesome movie. It's directed by Steven Soderbergh, which pretty much guarantees it's gotta be good. If you've seen The Limey, well, it's pretty much the same style of story (although instead of "guy who fights his way through horde of dudes who wronged his daughter" it's "girl fights her way through horde of dudes who wronged her" instead). It also reminded me of Spartan in that the storytelling and dialogue are very sparse, leaving the viewer to infer some of the stuff that's going on (but it's not that complicated so that's okay).

Basic story: Mallory Kane, ex-Marine contractor and all-round commando asskicker lady, is villainously set up to take the fall in a plot involving Michael Douglas, Channing Tatum, Antonio Banderas and Ewan McGregor. This doesn't go to plan, and a series of set-pieces ensue as Mal fights her way through Irish SWAT-teams, a bribed MI-6 agent, and other contractors whilst Ewan McGregor runs for his life. I mean, shit. Basically, if Moby and I were to write an action movie, I'm pretty sure it'd look like this (well, maybe there'd be a giant robot somewhere, but I take what I can get).

I really liked this movie. The fact that the lead is played by a former Muay Thai / MMA fighter who makes the hand-to-hand look like it's easy makes it all the better. I would say, give it a try!

Off naked Chatham show,
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I love the fights in Haywire, but the final act leaves a lot to be desired. The ending wasn't really much to end the movie on - I feel like the movie peaked halfway with the Tatum and Fassbender fights. It just really doesn't regain any of the oomph it had into those sequences. It's still definitely worth a watch, though.

Oh, and I just saw End of Watch. It's easily the best cop movie since perhaps Training Day - the chemistry of the leads is great, and above all, there's a sense of tension running through the movie I haven't felt in a couple of months. It's definitely worth seeing in theaters.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I rather liked that the third act of Haywire was more claustrophobic and personal than the other cool, but impersonal set-pieces that had come before it. I certainly see how it could be interpreted as kind of a let-down after the fights that came before, but considering the characters involved I don't really see how it could've gone down any other way.

I'll be on the lookout for End of Watch. It sounds pretty cool.

Also, finally got around to watching Prometheus. The Internet lied to me; it wasn't nearly as bad as I was led to believe. In fact I enjoyed it quite immensely. I liked how none of the crew ever even got the vaguest hint of an idea of just what the Engineers were doing, I liked how the whole operation went tits up because what looked like a science operation turned out to not be that at all, and I liked the existential fucked-up-ness of the whole plot, really. Interesting characters that don't spell out their motivations too, which is a nice change of pace too. So, yeah. Overall a good movie that doesn't deserve to be slagged as much as it has been... But maybe that's just in the corners of the web that I frequent, I dunno.

Off naked Chatham show,