[ARTICLE]The Common Star Navy

Reservoir

[ARTICLE]The Common Star Navy

Post by Reservoir »

WELCOME TO THE AIG INTERPLANETARY DATABASE! DISCLAIMER: ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO GOVERNMENT-OWNED INFORMATION WILL RESULT IN SEVERE LEGAL CONSEQUENCES. PLEASE LOGIN TO BEGIN YOUR SESSION!

USERNAME: 000111
PASS: ***************

TERMINAL NUM: G34-762
LOCAT: OLYMPUS
USER RESTRICTIONS: UNRESTRICTED
AUTHORIZATION: FULL

PLEASE PRESENT QUERY FOR SEARCH.

QUERY: [color=green[COMMON STAR NAVY OVERVIEW[/color]

SEARCHING...
ACCESSING...
...1 FILE(S) FOUND.

DO YOU WISH TO VIEW READ-ONLY COPY? Y/N
N

SECURITY PROTOCOLS INITIATED.

PLEASE PRODUCE FINGERPRINT.
SCANNING...
...APPROVED.

PLEASE PRODUCE RETINA.
SCANNING...
...APPROVED.

PLEASE PRODUCE VOCAL PATTERN.
VERFIYING...
...APPROVED.

PLEASE PRODUCE BRAINWAVE SCAN.
SCANNING...
...APPROVED.

PLEASE PRODUCE BLOOD SAMPLE.
ANALYZING...
...APPROVED.

ALL SECURITY MEASURES PASSED. VERIFICATION COMPLETE. VIEWING PROTOCOLS INITIATED.

FILE: COMMON STAR NAVY HISTORY AND ANALYSIS
CLASSIFICATION: ULTRAVIOLET RESTRICTION, ACCESS LEVEL: RESTRICTED

CONTENTS:

*Video image starts, forming the flag of the AIG CSN flapping in a breeze, as wind and string instruments play patriotic-themed music*

*begin audio dubbing*
"The Common Star Navy is one of the most important military assets to the Alliance of Interplanetary Governments. Without the CSN, the Common Star Militia would not have the transports necessary to ferry them to distant conflicts, nor the firepower to aid them in land disputes; civilian vessels would be casual targets for Pirates and their like; even government vessels and worlds would be at risk of terrorist activities. In short, the Common Star Navy is the backbone of AIG military support throughout the known galaxy."

"Currently, the total of CSN vessels is estimated to be around the 740,000 mark, or roughly 10,000 per solar system. These vessels range from lowly corvettes to lumbering Battlecruisers, and all in-between. These vessels are built to fill specific functions and roles, in order to keep the Fleet fully prepared for anything it can handle. Considering the discovery of the Al-Husam al Din Empire, this may be of even more paramount importance than ever before. The Empire doesn't seek peaceful existence, although for now it doesn't have the strength to do much else. As such, the Common Star Navy must be ready for any sort of trickery or stealthy attack from either the myriad Pirate forces, or the new-found Empire."

"Starting below, we will list the important technologies that comprise the vessels of the CSN, and what their specific roles are within those vessels:"

--|HYPERDRIVE|--
"The Hyperdrive, developed in 3220, represents the pinnacle of starship drive technology. Capable of speeds that completely defy all physics, the Hyperdrive allows vessels from one side of the known universe to the other side in less than a few weeks time."

"While the Hyperdrive is efficient and well-known, the sciences and knowledge behind it are seldom understood. Many experimental Hyperdrives don't work where others have, and many that work the first time disappear into the fluidic hyperspace "membrane" that coats the entire universe, never returning to the physical, "solid" universe."

*display technical diagrams of Hyperspace*
"Some speculate that certain forms of Hyperdrive engage temporal anomalies that are not addressed or interacted with in normal space or by other Hyperdrives, which would explain why many experimental, yet functional, Hyperdrives only allow objects into 'Hyperspace'. Essentially, the act or future act of observing that particular Hyperdrives' transit causes that temporal anomaly to come into effect, rendering it impossible for that Hyperdrive to ever be retrieved. At least, that's the theory."

"Of course, the real question that has bothered scientists since the invention of the basic 'fully operational' Hyperdrive is this: why does it cost so little power? Sure, the initial surge of energy required to 'Bridge the Gap', as it's commonly known, is intense, requiring a small, fully-dedicated fusion reactor to pull off successfully. However, once in, the Hyperdrive seems to draw energy entirely from an unknown source. Speculation runs rampant from there, though commonplace theories revolve around the ideas that once inside Hyperspace, the Hyperdrive draws power either from Hyperspace itself, or from the Zero-point energy contained within the regular universe. The latter would explain somewhat how regular-universe objects can exist in Hyperspace, since that indicated there is some sort of energetic connection between object and the regular universe."

-- |STARSHIPS AND STARSHIP CLASSIFICATION|--

"The CSN has a mid-sized library of vessels, though each has it's own merits. One important factor is the lack of single or small-crewed vessels, or vessels with crews under seventy. The reason being is that, as a military craft, these vessels would lack the punch, speed, and durability necessary to operate effectively. Such vessels would have to be produced in large quantities, and would be unable to generate fuel for themselves, limiting their range. Also, many anti-missile and -torpedo systems would mis-identify such vessels, and chew them up before they could get close enough to deal any damage. In short, 'fighter craft' is a fantasy of the past, though her roles have been delegated to other vessels."

"The classes list as follows:
Shuttle
-Invasive
-Recon
-Transport
Corvette
-Bomber
-Recon
Frigate
-Assault
-Defensive
-Electronic Warfare
-Hospital/Repair/Salvage
Stealth Cruiser
Cruiser
-Assault
-Defense
Destroyer
Carrier
Battlecruiser
Warmonger/Battlestation

These represent all classes and creeds of vessels flying under the AIG CSN banner. Any other class of vessel must be reported immediately to any AIG CSN official."

"In this brief overview, we shall go over each class, their usage, and major points in their career history.

SHUTTLE
- Service date: 4105-Present Day
- Cargo Capacity(Transport): Fifty Infantry units and two infantry vehicles.
- Cargo Capacity(Invasive): Twelve Wall-Buster Troopers, Invasive-software computers.
- Cargo Capacity(Recon): 10 Crew and Sensor/Sensor Mask equipment only.

"The Camellia Modular Transport, commissioned in 4105 to replace the aging Viking General Purpose Transport, is one of the smallest vessels in the CSN fleet. When compared by tabula rosa, the Rapier Corvette weighs considerably less; however, with full armament and munitions, any Rapier severely outweighs any Camellia by several hundred tons."

"Camellias serve three basic functions: stealth recon, troop transport, and ship-boarding attack raider. Camellias carry no offensive weaponry, save for the last class, which carry short-range Xaser beams to help bore into starship hulls. Because Camellias are modular in nature, they can be configured for a variety of specialties within their chosen roles; indeed, civilian model Camellias, known as "Candies", make up forty-eight percent of the total ship population."

"Camellias are also most common within Common Star Military forces, who use them as landing craft for ground ops. While the name implies to green recruits that Camellias are gentile, graceful creatures, the Danderon Military Operations Co. knew better than to supply the military with such a craft. Gifted with high-pressure pulse-jet engines, pressure-burst spatial thrusters, and a high tolerance for chassis stress, the Camellia can fly as rough as needed for any situation."

"High acceleration speeds and steep ascension angles by Camellia pilots, necessary for Camellias to exit planetary bodies, can often cause unwary soldiers to pass out from the heavy inhibitions on breathing and blood flow. Emerging into space in a Camellia dropship without passing out earns green soldiers a mark of respect amongst their company-mates; many seasoned soldiers still find themselves fighting a losing battle when embarking out on a Camellia."

...SESSION ENDED BY USER 000111.*

USER 000111 HAS LOGGED OUT. HAVE A NICE DAY!

*There is more to come, I promise.
Last edited by Reservoir on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You may never fire a single shot in your entire term as a Common Star Militia servicemember. Some would naively consider that a milestone, representing all that the CSM and CSN are made to be. But, it doesn't mean you will ever forget the things you will hear, see, or do during that time. Cloak and daggers has become child's play, Privates and PFCs: welcome to the Thick...may God watch over you all."
-CSM Chief Master Sergeant Andrew Ford, to CSM PFC John Karmach and the other recruits of the Common Star Militia, Outer Colonies Branch, Section 13, 319 Division, Class of 4133
Ford Prefect

Re: The Common Star Navy

Post by Ford Prefect »

It's amusing to see the return of the 'computer database' style of writing, which graced a few articles back in the day. Though I've got to say, that's a hell of a lot of security for a basic information video. ;)
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Ainnir_Dar_Eire

Post by Ainnir_Dar_Eire »

I was originally confused about hot you started this segment, but I got it as it went on. There is a lot of security measures, I like the idea of the brain wave identification. I guess it would check the person's state of mind maybe? Also, since the video is so restricted I think to add emphasis on that part maybe a disclaimer or something of that nature should be added, but I do not know. BTW I hope your week gets better, this is really good for having a rough week.
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Ford Prefect wrote:It's amusing to see the return of the 'computer database' style of writing, which graced a few articles back in the day. Though I've got to say, that's a hell of a lot of security for a basic information video. ;)
I'm nowhere near done with this. I plan on making it a super-secret focus for all information regarding the Common Star Navy, including near-specific numbers of ships, ship locations, locations for shipyards and construction yards, and the like. So yes, a hell of a lot of security for a basic information video, but you've only seen a little bit of the whole thing - much more sensitive stuff is coming.
Ainnir_Dar_Eire wrote:I was originally confused about hot you started this segment, but I got it as it went on. There is a lot of security measures, I like the idea of the brain wave identification. I guess it would check the person's state of mind maybe? Also, since the video is so restricted I think to add emphasis on that part maybe a disclaimer or something of that nature should be added, but I do not know. BTW I hope your week gets better, this is really good for having a rough week.
The brain wave identification reads the person's typical brain activity, and compares it to those stored in memory systems. Then it would have to account for changes that would occur, such as illness, physical damage, and new pathways created simply by existing. It would be foolish to rely on, but it's at least SOMETHING, and it's pretty unique to every individual.

As for the disclaimer...so it written, and so it shall be "typed and posted on a later date when I feel like it because it's 11 pm and I'm tired" :D
"You may never fire a single shot in your entire term as a Common Star Militia servicemember. Some would naively consider that a milestone, representing all that the CSM and CSN are made to be. But, it doesn't mean you will ever forget the things you will hear, see, or do during that time. Cloak and daggers has become child's play, Privates and PFCs: welcome to the Thick...may God watch over you all."
-CSM Chief Master Sergeant Andrew Ford, to CSM PFC John Karmach and the other recruits of the Common Star Militia, Outer Colonies Branch, Section 13, 319 Division, Class of 4133