Shear Anarchy / San Dorado [Worldbuilding Exercise]

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

speaker-to-trolls

Re: Shear Anarchy / San Dorado [Worldbuilding Exercise]

Post by speaker-to-trolls » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:08 pm

How unlucky and frequent would you imagine the unlucky years being? A tunguska event every twenty, thirty or fifty years, coming down on random locations with little that could be done to prevent or avoid it would make for a hell of a wildcard.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege » Mon May 08, 2017 6:33 pm

A few initial notes on the Old Custom of Teyrnon-Canhastyr.

In the beginning there was only the ocean: cold, dark and pitiless. Its ruler was Mawr Modron, goddess of the endless deep.

Mawr Modron coupled with the sea serpent Cirein-cròin three times, birthing three gods: Benfydd, god of skies and mist, storms and wind; Cyhfeal, chief of giants, god of mountains, ice and impossible tasks; Crian Ceirt, god of time, insight and ether.

Cirein-cròin and Cyhfeal rebel against Mawr Modron but are ultimately defeated. Cyhfeal hews Crian Ceirt in two. Benfydd is so enraged by his brother's betrayal that he beheads Cyhfeal and puts his head on a spike in the ocean, thus forming the island Caighseal. Benfydd then defeats Cirein-cròin by dragging the serpent out of the sea and onto the newformed land; once it was out of the water it was powerless and could be killed. Benfydd cuts open the serpent and from its body emerges a third generation of gods: Marrhionn, goddess of sorcery, terror, fate, wounds in battle; Afallach, god of the below-sea; Turennis, the antlered god of death.

Crian Ceirt survives as the Cleaved God who is neither male nor female: the god of doors and tresholds, noon and midnight, shorelines, new moons, thin places, birthdays and virgins.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

I breakfast upon Armadas such as thine!

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Carrier Pigeon Faster Than Broadband Internet

In South Africa, a carrier pigeon carrying a 4GB memory stick proved to be faster than the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm. Something something reality and fiction. In San Dorado, access to utilities and telecom is just as unevenly distributed as capital. Downtown it's - naturally - all fancy flatscreens and superfast broadband for high-speed trading. In East people are still on dial-up and bakelite telephone sets. And in the Sprawl people depend on carrier pigeons and improv networks in flawed electrical wiring. Something inbetween a telegraph and an impromptu Internet, maintained by self-trained savant McGuyvers.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

I breakfast upon Armadas such as thine!

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Had a similar idea for SOTS, but with synthetic avianoids or even bioclockwork ones to prevent nano-bio spore-hacks or whatever.

I wonder if in San Doradoverse, these birds could be trained to loiter in certain areas or go from point to point and not only bring USBs, but like crypto-net emitters or whatever, especially by less savory elements. Or have birds or dogs or whatever carry emissions-sniffing devices, especially birds that can perch on the higher levels of skyscrapers where the corporations do their sensitive stuff high above any potential threats or eavesdroppers... and then when SinTek or whatever realizes that pigeons are carrying ELINT gear, they'll hire falconers and deck their buildings in spikes like those anti-pigeon Orthodox Churches with spiked crosses.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD