Help with Sources for Mars Colonization

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Help with Sources for Mars Colonization

Post by Malchus »

I've been seriously thinking of finally settling down to write a long-term story idea instead of getting inspired by bursts of ideas every now and then, only to lose interest later. I decided to do so by going back to my sci-fi roots. I'm planning to write an anthology of stories set in some unspecified "near-future." It will mostly be a bunch of slice-of-life stories showcasing the ups and downs of the setting (which will probably be laughably outdated in a few years time, but hey) from the point of view of a diverse cast of characters from different walks of life. I'll probably also re-use and repurpose a lot of my neglected character ideas to forcibly remedy my bad habit of coming up with one-off charater ideas, only to abandon them for the next.

Anyway, one of the story lines I'm planning to pursue is that of a permanent Mars colony has been around for nearly three decades, and it's starting to shift from remote research station into a fledging "true" colony thanks to the (possibly ill-advised) drive of its private financiers to start making it so. I want to at least try to pay some lip service to hard science, and I'm already buying/borrowing books and searching for internet articles for research. One thing I'm having trouble with, though, is finding any decent books about theoretical Mars colonization.

So, does anyone have suggestions for good literature about said topic? I'm looking for mostly nonfictional sources, but fictional stories with a good grounding in real research are welcome too. Thanks in advance for anything you might suggest.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Czernobog

Re: Help with Sources for Mars Colonization

Post by Czernobog »

Kim Stanley Robinson's (if that who it was) Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) is good, or so I heard.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.