Post your bad and silly ideas!

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Heretic

Re: Post your bad and silly ideas!

Post by Heretic »

:lol: :lol: *ROFL* Omg, that reminds me of those PG (13 sometims) action movies from the 90s with the good guys being skater teenagers with brown hair, while the enemy is usually corporations and Hitler tyrants that are as competent as...well, you know.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Destructionator

Post by Destructionator »

I almost want to do a galactic empire universe for the sole purpose of trying to show how big and incomprehensibly powerful galactic empires really would be.

"Commence Primary Ignition."

The six quintillion warships of the Fourth Great and Bountiful Galactic Empire's Punishment Fleet all fired their lasers at once. In ten seconds, they emptied their capacitors, leaving only a slowly expanding dust field where Earth once was.

Two minutes later, their capacitors were recharged and the lasers realigned. Mission Master Dick Bater swore he heard the planets Venus and Mars begging for mercy before they were simultaneously and quickly pulverized by the Fleet.

If they wanted mercy, they shouldn't have joined the Rebellion. The Fourth Great and Bountiful Galactic Empire would not make the mistake of its predecessor.
His Certifiable Geniusness, Adam D. Ruppe (My 'verse)
Marle: Lucca! You're amazing!
Lucca: Ain't it the truth! ... Oh, um...I mean...
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

I have an idea wherein a modern-day esque civilisation where magic and technology combine meets a standard Fantasy kingdom. Much pwnage ensues. As for the highlights:

- Knights get mown down by machineguns.
- Dragons versus fighters.
- The Dark Lord gets introduced to the power of the atom.
- Tanks smash zombies into the ground.
- And other such awesomeness.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I think he means this world vs a fantasy world. I always wanted to do that. Still, Voldemort can never survive a .500 Beretta Sniper Rifle.

Kamin, though I'm interested in this, don't you have Imperial Wars to worry about?
-Joseph Campbell
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

No, it's not the modern world, but a present-day-esque civilisation that discovers a generic Fantasy kingdom on the other side of its planet.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Heretic wrote:I think he means this world vs a fantasy world. I always wanted to do that. Still, Voldemort can never survive a .500 Beretta Sniper Rifle.
That's exactly what Dragon Wars actually is.

I personally find Modern versus Fantasy to be pointless wank regardless of the ending. It's just as annoying when machine gunners slaughter wizards as when wizards slaughter tanks and other such. And I specifically despise the over-use of fucking Harry Potter in these scenarios; the magic there is not meant to be for combat, it just happens to have some combat viability, and Harry Potter is not set in a separate fantasy world, it's a Secret Background Masquerade of the normal world in which magic goes unnoticed by the average population.

If you're going to have fantasy-versus-modern-day scenario, I can only give you these words of advice; Don't Do It.

It's a fucking stupid idea, and it's been done before.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

SO what if it's done before? The only movie that I can think of that goes into this trope is D Wars. That is all. As you said, everything was done before. What matters is the twist. And if you don't like it, don't read it. Elves were overused so much, but does anyone have a problem with that?

Kamin, just make sure you don't plagiarize.
-Joseph Campbell
Destructionator

See Stuart Slade, et. al.'s Armageddon???? EDIT: I was going to force you to search the web for it, but I'm a merciful god, so here's the link: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=118771 /EDIT

It isn't quite generic fantasy kingdom, but it is modern day meets fantasy like elements. Note that Mr Slade knows what he is talking about when it comes to real world armageddon too, which adds quite a bit to the realism.

The battles are almost always one-sided slaughters of the poor demons, but the story is still pretty interesting, since there are a lot of other things to talk about too, like how the world reacts to learning that Hell actually exists and everyone is going there, and the mysterious plan of God.

And of course, some of us want to see the demons strike back. It is like a David and Goliath thing.
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Destructionator wrote:See Stuart Slade, et. al.'s Armageddon???? EDIT: I was going to force you to search the web for it, but I'm a merciful god, so here's the link: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=118771 /EDIT

It isn't quite generic fantasy kingdom, but it is modern day meets fantasy like elements. Note that Mr Slade knows what he is talking about when it comes to real world armageddon too, which adds quite a bit to the realism.

The battles are almost always one-sided slaughters of the poor demons, but the story is still pretty interesting, since there are a lot of other things to talk about too, like how the world reacts to learning that Hell actually exists and everyone is going there, and the mysterious plan of God.

And of course, some of us want to see the demons strike back. It is like a David and Goliath thing.
Good. I've actually read Armageddon????, but that doesn't impede your point, and it could be useful for writing that story (I'm not actually going to pliagarise anything, thankfully).
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Heretic wrote:SO what if it's done before? The only movie that I can think of that goes into this trope is D Wars. That is all. As you said, everything was done before. What matters is the twist. And if you don't like it, don't read it. Elves were overused so much, but does anyone have a problem with that?

Kamin, just make sure you don't plagiarize.
What I said was not 'it has been done before'.

What I said was 'it is fucking stupid'.

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

To you maybe, as you got a very picky sense of fantasy.
-Joseph Campbell
Destructionator

TV Tropes.org wrote: When Pope Julius II was asked how he would get into Heaven with so much blood on his hands, he said something along the lines of, "If they won't let me through the golden gates, I will storm them."
That's awesome. Reminds me of the fantasy part of my 'verse, which is now pretty wholly segregated from the sci-fi part.

Several of the characters start out thinking heaven is a good place and all, but later, end up attacking it.

With starships.

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Heretic wrote:To you maybe, as you got a very picky sense of fantasy.
No, I have a very good sense of quality. I find the pointless wankery of gunning down comparatively defenceless soldiers with swords to be of very poor quality as it's basically just a way of us modern day people saying 'Hur Hur Killz Da Peepulz Wiz No Gunz!'

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well, if one can do it well, it might work, though it might just lead all the way back to Shadowrun. Still, one could fight with war of attrition, hit and run tactics, or win the hearts of the population. It might work, but it depends on the writer.
-Joseph Campbell
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Shadowrun was magic-mixed-with-cyberpunk, which is a completely different kettle of fish. You can certainly mix magic and modern day, but getting away with bloody magic versus the modern day is far more difficult and requires either a far more cosmic threat, a far smaller scale or something secretive. Evil Dead, for instance, did the small-scale undead fantasy horror in a modern setting, utilising necromancy as the crux for the magic. A cosmic threat on the other hand is the reason that Lovecraftian horror, though I dislike it myself, works quite so well. In the case of something secretive, think World of Darkness, with far more of an antagonistic relationship between humanity and That Which Lies In Secret.

On the other hand, magic in the modern day works all the bloody time. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Dresden Files, Night Watch, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials (sort of; the timescale is more accurately around World War II) the Word/Void series, early Anita Blake (y'know, prior to pron), Rachel Morgan, Blood Ties, American Gods, Hellblazer and Sandman, for instance. Given a few varying levels of secrecy ranging from commonly known (Rachel Morgan, Anita Blake), swinging around pretty blatant (Sandman is set in the same continuity as Superman), and hitting you-are-not-allowed-to-know (Night Watch, Dresden Files, Harry Potter)... and it's all far more interesting than magic just fighting the modern day. It's magic interacting with the modern day.

Archduke G. Seuss

Post by Archduke G. Seuss »

I would love to see a metafuturistic fantasy setting, like Jesus Christ Superstar. No, not the crappy new one, but the kickass 70's one. I would really love to see that happen.

I call dibs. That's my world to create, not yours. GTFO.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

*snicker* That sounds funny. King Richard riding a Crusader tank against Saladin, who has millions of followers spreading the word of Islam via internet...expect, you know, futuristic.
-Joseph Campbell
Archduke G. Seuss

Well, I guess 'metafuturistic' isn't the best way to put it.

It's more like a hybrid present/past thing. You'd have to see Jesus Christ Superstar to get the gist of it well enough.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Jaded Chronicles had you beat, chumpo.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

I would love to see a metafuturistic fantasy setting, like Jesus Christ Superstar. No, not the crappy new one, but the kickass 70's one. I would really love to see that happen.

You mean a world where provincial oligarchies hold councils on top of a scaffolding.

In song.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Archduke G. Seuss

YES!

This is the magic system: you get bonuses on anything if the quality of your improvised song beats the quality of something else.

Jaded Chronicles? Link plz.
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

Until Siege does the update, JC went down with the old boat, bucko. But, anyway, JC is all of Shroom's craziness poured into a single verse. All of it. Not much verse-stuff, lots of insaaaane stories, though. Depends on how much you can take of Shroom-craziness- if you can take it, it's good stuff.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Heretic wrote:*snicker* That sounds funny. King Richard riding a Crusader tank against Saladin, who has millions of followers spreading the word of Islam via internet...expect, you know, futuristic.
The first part of that reminds me of my old Regents, Rustics, and Rotorheads 'verse pitch in old OZ. It's basically an alternate world with a Western Medieval-ish culture and socio-political structure with the tech level of the 40s-early 50s (minus jet tech). Some ideas were air jousting--two old biplanes playing chicken--and siege engine (tank) jousting, which involves two tanks with battering rams fitted in place of guns charging towards each other and trying to knock the other's turret off.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Many years ago I watched Card Captors (shutup) and also saw Princess Mononoke, and these two things fermented in my brain until I got the idea of making a series where three beast gods (giant, intelligent animals of supernatural durability and power) came into our world from another realm ruled by such creatures disguised as ordinary animals in order to pave the way for its conquest, all of them sticking around a teenage girl for some reason (it was a while ago and I didn't write it down). I don't know how I imagined dealing with the fact that three of the protagonists here would be bent on destroying civilisation. God, now that I remember the idea I realise what a terrifying position that girl would be in.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."