My new, as yet unnamed, fantasy universe

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Peregrin

My new, as yet unnamed, fantasy universe

Post by Peregrin »

As you might have found out elsewhere, I've decided to restart The Descendants by jettisoning all the really fringe-science-punk/fantasy elements (psychic powers, extradimensional deities and so on) though I'll keep most of the teslapunk. After all, the D-verse was originally supposed to be fairly hard SF.

However, I'm not throwing all that stuff away. Instead, I'm going to have a new universe I'll run side by side with the redone D-verse and SOTS not to mention my contributions to OZ Comix. Here, I'm basically going to take everything I've ever liked in weird fiction and fucking run with it.

I haven't decided on a name yet, but it's going to have steampunk/teslapunk tech including vaguely Jules Verne-ish spaceships, occultism, lots of giant insects (in this universe people ride car-sized centipedes instead of horses), Greys and lizardpeople, shades of that "post-reality" concept Shroomy once threw around (things depicted in M. C. Escher paintings could really exist here), Cronenberg/Barker-style body horror, settings straight out of the weirder spaghetti westerns like Django and El Topo, Lovecraft-style extraterrestrial demigods, lost continents, hollow planets, robots, demonic ancestry in humans being not remotely unusual, music that changes the course of the stars when performed (remember, astrology works here!), a mysterious emerging generation of blue-haired preterhumans... all in the same 'verse.

What I've also decided is that all of the illustrations for it will be in an Art Nouveau style rather than the two styles (animesque and expressionistic realism with garish colours) I usually draw in. The overall concept, though, is still very much at the embryonic stage because this time, even the sky is not the limit.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Re: My new, as yet unnamed, fantasy universe

Post by Mobius 1 »

I'm a bit curious as to how you hit hard sci-fi with the absurdoludicrous described here, but I think you're the best hands that can do this sort of thing- after all, you are the master of the element.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Mobius 1 wrote:I'm a bit curious as to how you hit hard sci-fi with the absurdoludicrous described here
I originally wanted The Descendants to be hard SF, hence humans adapting to life on other planets and evolving into different species, wormholes being the only way of FTL, the Nerakk being rather inhuman... but then, I read a book called The Mammoth Book of UFOs which had a lot of fringe science in it. So, thinking all this was possible and wanting to keep the D-verse in touch with the latest developments in science I decided to go further and further into the fringes of science to mine for ideas until it was planted firmly in what most educated people would call pseudoscience territory.

It's strayed too far from what I originally wanted it to be, and I ought to make that right again.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, I thought the D-verse was rather fine. And I find a lot of "hard sci-fi" about as hard as a limp dick and twice as LAEM. Case example: Orion's fArm.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Shroomy, Orion's Arm isn't a good example of any sort of anything. I could very well drop Revelation Space on your lap and say 'hard science fiction. Now weep'. There's nothing wrong with sticking with real science, just as there's nothing wrong with not. I liked the Decendants, for all its kooky weirdness. It had a lot going for it as it is, but a creator must do what a creator must do.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The thing is, the Dverse was an excellent example of unorthodoxy. Even by the weird standards of OZ. I'm just slightly wary of Per and his recent flurry of new directions for a lot of things that don't really need new directing.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I might keep the kooky stuff in the D-verse, but probably just as rumours going around that are the strongest around the fringes of explored space - the mythology of its era, so to speak.