Collaborative Fantasy Universe (as yet unnamed)

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Czernobog

Collaborative Fantasy Universe (as yet unnamed)

Post by Czernobog »

I have been thinking these past few weeks of a collaborative fantasy universe, and, suffice to say, I have reached a conclusion in my thoughts about how it should go. So here goes, and hope for success.

Ground rules:

It is D&Dish generic fantasy, set on a world known as Allanar. Guns either do not exist, or are just beginning to be introduced. Magic comes in many varied forms, from druidism to demon summoning. It is hard to practice in most cases, and requires many years of study, although for some it comes naturally.

The technology level is medievalish, though magic and alchemy improves it somewhat, and magical creatures such as dragons are rare. Gods may or may not exist, and if they exist, do not interfere in mortal activities. Ancient creatures from beyond the mortal world do exist, such as demons and angels and the more powerful ones are incredibly hard to defeat. They generally have malevolent towards mortals. Elves and dwarves exist, but no halflings.

The rest is up to you.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Dakarne

Re: Collaborative Fantasy Universe (as yet unnamed)

Post by Dakarne »

Y'know, I had this same idea once. Way back when, in a thread about a fantasy RPG that just didn't work, being made by Invictus. Personally, I found that the idea of a collaborative fantasy setting, while it had merit, was not as good as it first seemed it would be. But what you've done here is too restrictive in some areas, and not restrictive enough in others. Ground rules are ground rules, but what a fantasy setting needs isn't the set of ground rules you've given to it.

Especially since you seem to be the one calling all these shots, and not a group of people who are actually a little more well-versed in fantasy setting creation than you are. If it were, say, me, Ford, Soban, Nevermind, Siege and, say, Orph calling these shots, it might have a bit more to it. Mostly because there would be a varied set of opinions going in ranging from the love of classical high fantasy possessed by myself to Siege and Orph with their respect for the New Weird and less traditional styles. You get a more varied outlook, and thus a more flexible and interesting setting. I love elves, but I wouldn't mind giving them up in exchange for a less traditional alternative if it were interesting. Not all fantasy is the uninspired Dungeons & Dragons portrayal. Sometimes it ranges from the maudlin and very low-key with only a few personal matters at stake until the ending, such as in the Black Magician trilogy, but sometimes it's high-level epic fantasy like seen in the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Sometimes it doesn't even have a single sword raised in violence against another individual, like Earthsea.

Welcome to fantasy, Kamin, it's not all about dragons, swordfights and cavalry-charges.

Before you make decisions, let someone else have a say.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Dakarne wrote:Y'know, I had this same idea once. Way back when, in a thread about a fantasy RPG that just didn't work, being made by Invictus. Personally, I found that the idea of a collaborative fantasy setting, while it had merit, was not as good as it first seemed it would be. But what you've done here is too restrictive in some areas, and not restrictive enough in others. Ground rules are ground rules, but what a fantasy setting needs isn't the set of ground rules you've given to it.

Especially since you seem to be the one calling all these shots, and not a group of people who are actually a little more well-versed in fantasy setting creation than you are. If it were, say, me, Ford, Soban, Nevermind, Siege and, say, Orph calling these shots, it might have a bit more to it. Mostly because there would be a varied set of opinions going in ranging from the love of classical high fantasy possessed by myself to Siege and Orph with their respect for the New Weird and less traditional styles. You get a more varied outlook, and thus a more flexible and interesting setting. I love elves, but I wouldn't mind giving them up in exchange for a less traditional alternative if it were interesting. Not all fantasy is the uninspired Dungeons & Dragons portrayal. Sometimes it ranges from the maudlin and very low-key with only a few personal matters at stake until the ending, such as in the Black Magician trilogy, but sometimes it's high-level epic fantasy like seen in the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Sometimes it doesn't even have a single sword raised in violence against another individual, like Earthsea.

Welcome to fantasy, Kamin, it's not all about dragons, swordfights and cavalry-charges.

Before you make decisions, let someone else have a say.
Thanks, I'm welcome to help and constructive criticism in laying the ground rules, but I would prefer, and that is the key word, generic fantasy to start as a base from.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Er, Kamin, you repeatedly said this during the discussion on the posssibility of reviving The Solidarity Wars. I would think that from the lack of response to your collaborative fantasy 'verse suggestions and the booming discussion now on the possible TSW revival, it seems pretty clear that most O1 members seem to be uninterested in attempting it. Not the idea of the fantasy 'verse per se, I think quite a few would like that, but there seems to be (at least for now) a general disinterest in creating a collaborative fantasy.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

While I like the idea of a collaborative fantasy effort (I was going to propose one myself, I was working on a creation myth to kick things off and everything) I think people can probably only concentrate on so many things at once. MAYBE you should suggest this again once The Solidarity Wars has cooled down a bit.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:While I like the idea of a collaborative fantasy effort (I was going to propose one myself, I was working on a creation myth to kick things off and everything) I think people can probably only concentrate on so many things at once. MAYBE you should suggest this again once The Solidarity Wars has cooled down a bit.
I have to admit, that sounds like a good idea.
Order. Unity. Obedience.