Collab Universe of the Sci-Fi Kind!

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Reservoir

Collab Universe of the Sci-Fi Kind!

Post by Reservoir »

Alriiiiiiiiighty. I know I'm not here a lot, and I spend a lot of time slowly working on my stuff and whatnot. However, I've been talking with Heretic about doing a sci-fi drama collaboration, as posted here: http://www.omniverseone.com/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=446

Heretic suggested, because his(and mine, by default) PM inbox can't hold a whole lot of messages to and from, that we submit our story as as proposal for a universe. Of course, my hand still stands outstretched to anyone willing to join in, but right now it's just Heretic and I. Essentially, here's the jist:

A major, worldwide conflict on a so-far unnamed world has ended with the defeat of the highly-religious Tazan nation by the Edion Directorate and her allies. Thousands of Tazan militants and civvies are now Edion prisoners, and are consuming a lot of resources as a byproduct. As the House of Aristocrats(the Edion version of the US Congress/Senate) begins to move towards the idea of secretly mass-murdering the prisoners, a shrewd and daring businessman(and member of the HoA) named Julius Ceasant Provious proposes a bold idea: why not loop these prisoners into a budding space program?

Using this idea, and his considerable funding and corporate strategies, he manages to become Director of Edion, as well as train the prisoners in the finer points of space travel. Barely two years after the end of the war, Director Provious bids his farewells to the prisoners.

The story would most likely start in the last months before the launch of The Great Journey, the massive vessel the Tazans would be using. The story would progress through their three- to five-month journey to Hope, the only other habitable planet in the solar system,. Once there, they are supposed to land and attempt to create a new nation for themselves. However, I've got some aces up my sleeve as far as the story's concerned...Heretic knows of a few aces, but not all.

Because their tech level is only 50-100 years past our current one, I wouldn't expect too much in terms of technology: artificial gravity, new and expensive fusion reactors, ram/scram-jet engines, laser and projectile weapons, and the like. No aliens, and no FTL...yet. Keep in mind, I have aces, and to say that neither may appear would be a lie and a truth - honestly, it's all up to me, Heretic, and whomever else joins.

And that's it in a nutshell. If you're interested, feel free to ask us to pry open our hands just a bit further and give you some more info.
"You may never fire a single shot in your entire term as a Common Star Militia servicemember. Some would naively consider that a milestone, representing all that the CSM and CSN are made to be. But, it doesn't mean you will ever forget the things you will hear, see, or do during that time. Cloak and daggers has become child's play, Privates and PFCs: welcome to the Thick...may God watch over you all."
-CSM Chief Master Sergeant Andrew Ford, to CSM PFC John Karmach and the other recruits of the Common Star Militia, Outer Colonies Branch, Section 13, 319 Division, Class of 4133
Heretic

Re: Collab Universe of the Sci-Fi Kind!

Post by Heretic »

Well, I kinda suck at suspenseful storytelling, so I personally want to flesh out their planet, the terraforming equipment, and stuff.

A question, Resevoir, how hard of a sci-fi is this?
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Hmmm...that's a toughie. Honestly, I want to allow for certain things such as FTL or aliens, just in case we decide to incorporate them later. However, for now, I want it to be semi-hard. Artificial gravity, nuclear fusion, and laser/particle weapons are a yes; energy shields, teleporters, or such things as instant communication despite distances are not. Remember, I'm expecting them to have a tech level about 50-100 years ahead of our own, so just imagine what 2109 should be like and work from there.
"You may never fire a single shot in your entire term as a Common Star Militia servicemember. Some would naively consider that a milestone, representing all that the CSM and CSN are made to be. But, it doesn't mean you will ever forget the things you will hear, see, or do during that time. Cloak and daggers has become child's play, Privates and PFCs: welcome to the Thick...may God watch over you all."
-CSM Chief Master Sergeant Andrew Ford, to CSM PFC John Karmach and the other recruits of the Common Star Militia, Outer Colonies Branch, Section 13, 319 Division, Class of 4133
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Nada? Nobody else? Hmm. Well, then.

Perhaps it'll just have to be me and Heretic, if that's ok with him. I'm ready to start this thing.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Sorry, seemed like other topics covered this up. Yes, I'm ready to start.

Also, belated happy b-day.
-Joseph Campbell
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Thanks! And yeah, it's ok - I haven't much time to work on it, since we're nearing the end of the spring semester over here, which means harried last-minute assignments and the like. I have, however, been thinking...and that's always good.

/show start(y/n)_
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Y.

Let operation Exodus begin!(or something within that line)
-Joseph Campbell
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

...launch failed?

Eh, we are busy with our own uni's. At least, you are, anyway. I'm too busy dreaming my OSaS stuff to actually write it :? If you're up to it, I'm still willing to start this - as soon as we get a forum. However, if you're busy, Heretic, I can understand, considering my own workload...
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

yeah, i'm up to it. I haven't really focused on hardcore way lately.
-Joseph Campbell
Reservoir

Post by Reservoir »

Yeah, school's kicking my ass, giving me a hard time for trying to focus on OSaS, as I understand what you mean when you say you're not focusing. Sadly, I still think about OSaS all the time - and Exodus, for that matter. And yes, I like that name for it :D Thankfully, I've only got a few more weeks before I'm out! And then...Then...THEN...
...doughnuts? :lol: Seriously, we should get the Admins to make us a forum for Exodus. At least we can dump ideas into there, instead of inboxes and nowhere spaces in our brains.