Writing Help

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Heretic

Writing Help

Post by Heretic »

I'm having problems describing people and objects without going into huge purple proses, and If I try not to, it go very minimalistic, boring, and rushed. Every time I try writing a small sentence it turns into a huge block of information, that even when edited there are unnecessary sentences. To see what I mean, go look at my Ambassador to the Chimps . I could edit it, but I need some professional help on how to formulate my narration. I understand that reading books alone help, but I am reading alot and still can't get a picture.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Somes J

Re: Writing Help

Post by Somes J »

I might recommend reading some Hemmingway for inspiration, I was very impressed by his prose style.
Participate in my hard SF worldbuilding project: The Known Galaxy. Come to our message board and experience my unique brand of terribleness!

"One is respected and judged only as a human being. It is an appalling experience."
Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness.

"Open your mind and hear what your heart wants to deny."
Samuel Anders, nBSG, Daybreak, Part 2.
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

My own recommendation would be to look into some of the works of Iain M. Banks, specifically Consider Phlebas and Excession; his prose style is very rich in description, yet leaves a whole lot to the imagination. He gives you snippets, but in such a way that your mind makes up the rest of the details for you.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Heretic, I still consider myself a veritable ammateur and I have been writing for the better part of fourteen years. There's no quick solution to this: just keep writing and just keep reading and the chances are you will get better.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE