Essence and Descent (potential idea)

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Dakarne

Essence and Descent (potential idea)

Post by Dakarne »

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent

Falls the Shadow

-T.S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

This is a universe idea that springs out of my ideas towards a series of fantasy novels that I've been working on an idea or two for, and I've decided to use this universe building project for the exclusive purpose of having a source of background reference. This is a world that takes inspiration from numerous authors, but the most prominent of which are J.R.R. Tolkien (everyone owes something to him, known for Lord of the Rings), Terry Pratchett (everyone should owe something to him, known for Discworld), Trudi Canavan (lesser known Australian fantasy author, known for the Black Magician Trilogy) and Steven Erikson (lesser known Canadian fantasy author, known for Malazan).

It's partially a resurrection of The Land of the Ever-Young, but with quite a few differences. Some countries and nations remain the same, but everything's been shifted slightly, with some darkness added, but also some lightness added. I mean, darker and grittier is turning up in some points, but it isn't without occasional mirroring. Don't expect a wangstyverse, but don't expect pure comedy. I suppose you could call it a tragic world with dashes of comic relief or a comic universe with dashes of tragic relief. It sort of depends on which side of the story you're on. You could have quite a lot of fun with a dystopia if you're one of the overclasses who find humour in the misfortune of the underclasses, for instance.

That said, on with the idea itself;

Introduction

Welcome to Essence and Descent, where magic is common and where humans are not the only intelligent creatures. It is a place where the people are at the constant mercy of the tyranny of the expansionist Veritholt Empire and where sorcerers struggle with their sanity whilst wielding their dark powers. It is a world where monsters and creatures of darkness. It is a world of fantasy, where the barriers between the domains of spirits and corporeal beings are constantly strained. Evil rises constantly from fronts physical, spiritual and mental. It is a world of darkness, shadow and dust. A world where the monsters are not only the horned, tailed, winged devils, but also the most normal seeming of humans, dwarves or elves beset by greed or envy.

But against the darkness, there is always that last glimmer of light, there are always the heroes who react to the darkness. Whether those heroes are the warriors smiting evil with their blades, the mages smiting evil with lightning and fire, or the peacemakers who defeat evil without so much as striking a single blow, there is always someone who'll save the innocent.

The world itself is separate to our own, called many things by its inhabitants, but all translations come out to 'Earth' in much the same way that we ourselves call our planet what it is. However, to distinguish it for the moment, we'll simply call it Erda, after an early Anglo-Saxon term for Earth. It is similar to our world in matters of mass, gravity, rotation, solar distance, length of the years, the oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, and even the geographical distribution of land and ocean is similar, but there are two moons orbiting it. Similarly, the world is inhabited by many other species than our own from the long-lived elves and diminutive dwarves to the powerful dragons. Many things such as flora and fauna are the same as our world, but with a few surprises here and there like unicorns, phoenix, hippogryphs and gryphons. There are winged cats for instance, which find hunting birds a far, far easier task than their wingless cousins.

Possibly the most notable aspect of the world is magic, however, that which both allows things like dragons to function, but also allows for magicians and wizards to wield their great powers.

Races

Elves

Example image, female.
Example image, male.

The elves are quite possibly the most noticeable of non-human species outside of the fairly common orcs. Though they are smaller in number than either their human cousins, they often make themselves known via frequent trading with human nations, though this isn't always the case. Many groups of elves can be very insular and keep themselves to themselves. They are physically similar to humans with the same range of regional ethnicities, though with a few others that are alien to humans. They differ to humans in the fact that they're often slimmer, several inches taller, and have long pointed ears. Most noticeably, they physically mature slower than humans, taking between twenty-five and thirty years to reach full maturity. From that point onwards they take between fifteen hundred and two thousand years to reach old age. Elven magicians are practically immortal, however. Despite the differences, they are similar enough to humans so that they can mate to produce fertile 'half-elves' that favour their elven parents in most respects except for mostly favouring colouration and also maturation ages from their human side. One notable colouring issue about elves is that at least a quarter of them have a trait that causes hair to rapidly and completely whiten within the first thirty to forty years of life. The origin for this is unknown, and it occurs across many elven gene pools and ethnicities.

Elves have cat-like nightvision, and their eyes are similar to cats, though their pupils do not narrow in the same way during high-light conditions. They often prefer to work in night conditions or in conditions of low light due to this, as daylight can be painful to them. They also have sharp and sensitive hearing that can suffer in crowds.

Psychologically, elves differ from humans in that they think in a different fashion, allowing them to plan for the long term much more easily. This can lead other species to see them as being conservative or slow to react, while elves can sometimes see other races as overly fast to react to things, and not seeing the bigger picture. Not all elves follow this same pattern, however. Eidetic memories are common, and with elven longevity it can lead to one elf alone knowing enough information to fill a library. Elven sexuality also differs, as elves are commonly attracted to individuals of both sex, with only a fifth of the population being attracted to a single gender; in contrast, half-elven sexuality often follows a pattern that is closer to human, though with very slightly greater rates of homosexuality and bisexuality.

Orcs

Example image, female
Example image, male.

The orcs are the most common non-human species of Erda, often coexisting with humans in enough numbers to be a noticeable part of the population. They are often held in ill regard by many humans, however, due to what is seen as a brutish, wild appearance and a history of violent tensions between orcs and humans, and also between orcs and elves. However, orcs themselves are not brutish creatures by nature, but are instead merely seen that way due to many physiological aspects that seem to be more related to animals than to humans. Their lower canines, for instance, are longer and more protruding than a human's, leading to the appearance of tusks, their skin often takes on a greenish pallor that ranges from lime green to much darker shades, and their ears are slightly pointed or prominent in a similar way to elves. Their irises are often reddish in hue, though this presents them with no disadvantage or advantage over humans. They are often more muscular and more powerfully built than humans, though they share the disadvantage to strength that is often generated by holding a bipedal posture. Orcish men more frequently suffer from baldness than humans.

They are no more intelligent or unintelligent than humans, though they are frequently referred to as dumb or ignorant 'savages'. This constant antagonism, the greater numbers of human beings over orcs, and the frequent conquests of humans, has forced them to become wanderers and nomads in several places, and there are only a few nations in the world where orcs hold majority rule.

They are similar enough to humans so that they can produce fertile young, like the elves can, but such unions are far rarer due to many cultural stigmas among many groups of humans. Orcs can also mate with elves, and such unions are actually more common than unions between orcs and humans, and hybrids are fairly common in areas where orcs and elves are in close contact. Despite whatever cultural tropes exist, orcs are psychologically almost identical to humans, though orcish males sometimes have greater levels of testosterone and as such have more sexual urges.

More to come.

Nations

Pyrdhan Isles

The main island of the Pyrdhan isles lies north-west from the coasts of the continent of Astara, inhabited by numerous peoples both human and elven. The two main nations are the republic of Anwyn to the south with its tribes from Western Astara, and the kingdom of Caledia to the north with its various tribes who come from the western secondary island of Eriulin. Due to the geographical similarity to Earth, these islands can be seen as the equivalent of the British Isles, with some differences in development.

The Divine Verith Empire

Stretching from central Astara all the way to parts of Western Ayrsa, the expansionist Verith Empire is centred around the twin primary capital cities of Veritholt and Verithern, and is ruled by a centrally theocratic government. It follows a very central polytheistic belief system, wherein the Seven Holy Ones give out a series of doctrines and commandments which all people must follow to the letter, or be damned to an eternity in the six hells. The religion is ruled by those who are referred to as the Gifted, essentially magicians, who are believed by the people of Verith to have been given their great powers by the Seven themselves.

Seven is a holy number that is frequently given reverence by those of the Empire, as it is also the highest glyph in their numbering system, and is often never spoken of in polite contexts.

More to come.

Religions

To be filled later.

Magic

Needs an article on its own, probably.
Last edited by Dakarne on Mon May 26, 2008 11:25 am, edited 9 times in total.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Heretic

Re: Essence and Descent (potential idea)

Post by Heretic »

Too boring and original. Give it a twist that will make me happy, like muskets being Ork weapons or something. The evil empire taking over in a magical world is just a yawn to me.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Heretic wrote:Too boring and original. Give it a twist that will make me happy, like muskets being Ork weapons or something. The evil empire taking over in a magical world is just a yawn to me.
You're going to realise, sometime, that you don't need to push the envelope with the world-building to be able to tell a great story. This is also a work in progress; I have said nothing about weapons, societies, races, or anything else. I've used 'warriors with blades' as a poetic reference alone, but that is about it. Most of what I'm doing with this universe is providing a personal reference source for myself so I can refer back to it in case I forget a specific detail. It's my own writer's Bible.

People are trying far too hard to be original these days while forgetting that the most original thing in the world isn't necessarily giving a fantasy world guns or more advanced technology

It has been done many, many, many, many, many, many times before.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I like the winged cats.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:I like the winged cats.
They're technically borrowed from Forgotten Realms, but I liked the idea of winged cats enough to steal the idea. ;) They're just about the only thing I like about Forgotten Realms any more, mind, aside from Jarlaxle Baenre's sheer awesomeness.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Eh, the 'verse is just fledgling, Heretic.

Besides, sometimes it's not the universe background that's important. But the stories of the people and of the characters and how the plot affects them.

Which is why a story set in a typically mundane world (ours), based on a lawyer in New Orleans, can still be awesome if done right. Like... John Grisham. Though his recent stories have gone down the shitter, or so I've heard.

The story could be about bloody cavemen yet, if done right, it could be awesome.

Not like 10,000 BC :P

Also, guns in fantasy are becoming cliche and unoriginal as well. Everyone has a gun. When there are more orks with guns than there are Texans with guns, that's not right!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

The thing Dakarne mentioned about fantasy writers today trying too hard to be original reminds me of the fact that sometimes a formula becomes the standard but because it works. 8-) Don't forget that having a traditional fantasy setting doesn't mean you can't use it to tell some very unconventional stories.

BTW, props to Shroomy for bringing up cavemen. The fantasy universe I'm about to start is going to have cavemen too. In the same setting as spaceships, mind you. :mrgreen:
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Goddamn. Not motherfucking Battlefield Earth.

Dakarne, you must also have Morlocks. Please. Motherfucking Morlocks.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:The thing Dakarne mentioned about fantasy writers today trying too hard to be original reminds me of the fact that sometimes a formula becomes the standard but because it works. 8-)
It does. One of the most original fantasy novels I've ever seen (Magician) lifted two whole races, a language and several other things directly from the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, and yet its story was original enough to make it distinct. Originality is in character and plot.
Don't forget that having a traditional fantasy setting doesn't mean you can't use it to tell some very unconventional stories.
That's what fantasy is, really. Playing in the playgrounds of Tolkien, Howard and Geoffrey of Monmouth to produce something original. It's all about the story as one's art, with the characters as the paint and the world as a mere canvas.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Dakarne, you must also have Morlocks. Please. Motherfucking Morlocks.
I can manage warlocks. Does that count well enough?

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

... as a minor sidenote, I have added one or two nations to the nation list.
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Dakarne wrote:... as a minor sidenote, I have added one or two nations to the nation list.
I see. Will you be using Elves as a fantasy counterpart culture to Celts?
Shroomy wrote:Goddamn. Not motherfucking Battlefield Earth.
[Summer Glau impersonation] Don't worry... I'll write what I. Ron Butterfly wished he could write. [/Summer Glau impersonation]
Soban

Post by Soban »

Heretic wrote:Too boring and original. Give it a twist that will make me happy, like muskets being Ork weapons or something. The evil empire taking over in a magical world is just a yawn to me.
Already done, really, in Atlantis Rising before you graced OZ with your presence. Mind, I had orcs with huge assault rifles, tanks, and zeppelins. And that isn't even all that original when you take into account 40K Orks with their Shootas, Rokkits, and other shit.

I might add that Dan's mention of everyone having guns in fantasy, at least the contemporary variety, is why I didn't give any magic user a gun in my 'verse. Only the non-magic users have them.

Anyway, as someone who's seen a lot of the formative plans posted on M3, I'm definitely pumped to see you working on your 'verse, Dan, and I really hope to watch it grow and develop.
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Just after I mention I. Ron Butterfly in this thread, Soban posts in it... and lo and behold, his avatar depicts I. RON BUTTERFLY! :shock:

Whatever this means, it cannot be something pleasant. :|
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:I see. Will you be using Elves as a fantasy counterpart culture to Celts?
Partly. Some elves are counterpart Celts, but so are some humans and some dwarves; it's not going to be one race, one nation, one culture, one religion, etc. That's one traditional fantasy aspect I am twisting; don't expect a species of hats.
Soban wrote:I might add that Dan's mention of everyone having guns in fantasy, at least the contemporary variety, is why I didn't give any magic user a gun in my 'verse. Only the non-magic users have them.
Well, Warcraft (with the dwarven and tauren hunters automatically wielding guns from the first level) is technically what I'd call steampunk fantasy, since they also have steam powered mechs, helicopters, zeppelins and tanks, but pretty much the same thing, aye. There are numerous fantasy settings that have stuff like guns, airships, tanks; Forgotten Realms even has cyborgs and Eberron has a sentient player character race of robots made of iron and wood for crying out loud...
Anyway, as someone who's seen a lot of the formative plans posted on M3, I'm definitely pumped to see you working on your 'verse, Dan, and I really hope to watch it grow and develop.
Thanks. I really just needed to put all the ideas in one place, as you already well know with all of my formative planning. Naturally, I'm going to leave some things unsaid; I wouldn't want to spoil the storylines, would I? :P It'd be a bit pointless, to say the least.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Dakarne wrote:
Peregrin wrote:I see. Will you be using Elves as a fantasy counterpart culture to Celts?
Partly. Some elves are counterpart Celts, but so are some humans and some dwarves; it's not going to be one race, one nation, one culture, one religion, etc.
I meant the elves of the Pyrdhan isles, not the elves in general. I'm sorry there's been a misunderstanding, because it looks like I didn't make that clear as I could have done. :)
Well, Warcraft (with the dwarven and tauren hunters automatically wielding guns from the first level) is technically what I'd call steampunk fantasy, since they also have steam powered mechs, helicopters, zeppelins and tanks, but pretty much the same thing, aye.
I think the entire steampunk thing depends on how pervasive the whole early industrial-level technology is. I haven't played a Warcraft game since the second one in the series, though, so I have no idea about how industrialized its world is... but aren't the societies still mostly at a medieval (Renaissance) at best level? Last time I checked steampunk meant stuff aiming for a "Jules Verne on acid" feel.
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:I meant the elves of the Pyrdhan isles, not the elves in general. I'm sorry there's been a misunderstanding, because it looks like I didn't make that clear as I could have done. :)
Ah... well more or less. The humans in the North of Pyrdhan also share some specifically Scottish traits, while the elves mostly inhabit Eriulin and have a very Irish culture. Naturally, it's just culture, and elves have their eccentrics and greatly value individualism.
I think the entire steampunk thing depends on how pervasive the whole early industrial-level technology is. I haven't played a Warcraft game since the second one in the series, though, so I have no idea about how industrialized its world is... but aren't the societies still mostly at a medieval (Renaissance) at best level? Last time I checked steampunk meant stuff aiming for a "Jules Verne on acid" feel.
The MMORPG World of Warcraft has got space ships and holographic projectors in some areas. It's got a whole profession called the Engineering profession, which revolves around the ability to create muskets, various types of bombs, pet mechanical squirrels, land mines, defibrillators, various flying machines... Warcraft 3 itself had goblins in steam-powered armour, helicopters, zeppellins and a few other things. It is most certainly Jules Verne on Acid.

Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

What I was going say has pretty much been said best by Darkarne above: it's the characters and story that matters, not the background. While the background isn't entirely a nonentity, an original story is the true fingerprint of the writer.

That said, I think it would be better to provide a short story for your verse proposal than the background itself.

EDIT: Didn't see the posts above me. For one time, I actually needed that silly "we interrupt your posting to show the posts the occured b/t your hitting the 'post reply' button and the 'submit' button".
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Mobius 1 wrote:That said, I think it would be better to provide a short story for your verse proposal than the background itself.
Half of the reason I'm doing this is to attempt to alleviate writer's block. I haven't been able to write much of a story (though I've been planning something), because I've actually been a bit indecisive about several background elements, so I'm making this universe as-is to both provide reference and establish a strict background element so I can more easily plan (and eventually write) the storyline.

Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

Hey, no problem. Writer's block is a terrible thing, and your strategy makes sense. Anyway, how would you structure your stories? -Would they be intrinsic to the story of the 'verse, or would the just be snapshots set against the background?
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Mobius 1 wrote:Hey, no problem. Writer's block is a terrible thing, and your strategy makes sense. Anyway, how would you structure your stories? -Would they be intrinsic to the story of the 'verse, or would the just be snapshots set against the background?
Well, the former, seeing as the world is made purely from what's going to go on later in the storyline. Though not necessarily the same storyline; it's possible to have one thing going on in one place and a completely different thing going on in another place, there's also thousands of years worth of history to flesh out and explore. I'd say the latter would only count if it were a shorter story or novella unrelated to any of the main characters.

However, I'm not going to have any great destiny thing going on. Characters get involved by chance, or because they would logically be involved.

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Mild update; added information on the Divine Verith Empire.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Dakarne wrote:
Mobius 1 wrote:That said, I think it would be better to provide a short story for your verse proposal than the background itself.
Half of the reason I'm doing this is to attempt to alleviate writer's block.
You're not afraid the end result is going to come across as a bit forced, then? :? I'm asking this because when I write something just to get out of block I'm rarely satisfied with the end result.

By the way, I want to become this 'verse's official illustrator because I want to get myself out of what the clever kids would call... well, "illustrator's block".
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:You're not afraid the end result is going to come across as a bit forced, then? :? I'm asking this because when I write something just to get out of block I'm rarely satisfied with the end result.
That's why I'm writing this in an effort to shift the block and not the story itself. :P This is an attempt to spark the creativity, and get it to start flowing out a little better, and I've already been working on a few ideas that have arisen just as a result of having written the introductory post. I'm not all that concerned about the quality of this piece of work.
By the way, I want to become this 'verse's official illustrator because I want to get myself out of what the clever kids would call... well, "illustrator's block".
I wouldn't mind; I can't draw for shit, personally, though I am attempting to learn how to paint a picture with words alone. What you have is called artist's block, by the way. My sister, a would be artist herself, gets it. ;)

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Update; added the elves.

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

So, I'm thinking of giving this potential 'verse a new name; For Thine is the Kingdom. Any opinions on that?

Taken from the next line down of the first-page quoted T.S. Eliot poem.