Essence and Descent (potential idea)

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Peregrin

Re: Essence and Descent (potential idea)

Post by Peregrin »

Dakarne wrote:So, I'm thinking of giving this potential 'verse a new name; For Thine is the Kingdom. Any opinions on that?
I think it is too long.

EDIT: Speaking of the elves, I like it that you've made them something more than tall skinny hippies with pointy ears but maybe you haven't done enough. I'm not sure, because the mention of their eyes looking like cats' does emphasize them not quite being human. Perhaps it should be an enigma to E&Dverse science that half-elves aren't sterile?
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:I think it is too long.
For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky was a perfectly decent Star Trek episode. :P
EDIT: Speaking of the elves, I like it that you've made them something more than tall skinny hippies with pointy ears but maybe you haven't done enough. I'm not sure, because the mention of their eyes looking like cats' does emphasize them not quite being human.
Well defining elven culture, and elven way of life is difficult to say the least. The elves don't just have one culture, so it's hard to say 'elves are at one with nature' or 'elves prefer cities and advanced society', because they're even more individualistic than we are. It's not worth putting down much more unless I go through every type of elven ethnicity and culture; and there are quite a few. I may just stick to Elves in the Pyrdhan Isles and perhaps the common things that differ about elven psychology. About 80% of elves are, for instance, functionally bisexual. And that elves have low fertility; not many elves are infertile, but elven conception rates are rather ridiculously low.
Perhaps it should be an enigma to E&Dverse science that half-elves aren't sterile?
Well, elves aren't quite human, certainly, but they're related to humans - or humans are related to elves. Of course, medical science is limited to 'four humours' and 'leeches for headaches' at the minute, so people generally accept it without much confusion because it's always been like that.

EDIT: I've slightly expanded on the elves, going into common psychological features.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Good point on the biology aspect. :mrgreen: I definitely like it that you're going into details about elven psychology is different from that of humans, though, gives writers an obligation to write them differently than human characters.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:Good point on the biology aspect. :mrgreen: I definitely like it that you're going into details about elven psychology is different from that of humans, though, gives writers an obligation to write them differently than human characters.
They can be written as being very human, because they share many of the same things that make them tick. I planned them around the idea of very long lived and very intelligent creatures. So I took a few bits of inspiration from other sources than just the common ones like Tolkien. I may also give them a binary vascular system among their physical differences, as a not-very-thinly-veiled reference for my other primary source of inspiration about elves than fantasy fiction. Though the inspiration there wasn't elven at all. :P
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Dakarne wrote:I may also give them a binary vascular system among their physical differences, as a not-very-thinly-veiled reference for my other primary source of inspiration about elves than fantasy fiction. Though the inspiration there wasn't elven at all. :P
TIME LORDS! :mrgreen:
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:TIME LORDS! :mrgreen:
What can I say? I'm a Doctor Who fan. :D Hell, Tom Baker even played an elf once. In one of three redeeming features of an otherwise utterly terrible film, alongside Jeremy Irons chomping on scenery and Bruce Payne chomping on even more scenery.

Destructionator

Post by Destructionator »

To have your two moons, you should make one appear quite a bit smaller than the other, and seem a bit more random to astronomers (slightly, gently, and ever so rightly wandering in the sky). The two moons seem to chase each other, and their phases are always offset by the same amount (which means both are never full or new at the same time - one would lag the other by about four and a half days).

That would be a nice subtle inclusion of some potentially real science, while at the same time, appearing a little mysterious to the untrained eye.
His Certifiable Geniusness, Adam D. Ruppe (My 'verse)
Marle: Lucca! You're amazing!
Lucca: Ain't it the truth! ... Oh, um...I mean...
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Dakarne wrote:Hell, Tom Baker even played an elf once. In one of three redeeming features of an otherwise utterly terrible film, alongside Jeremy Irons chomping on scenery and Bruce Payne chomping on even more scenery.
Speaking of Tom Baker, I really want to see some of the Dr. Who episodes where he played the Doc. Didn't he basically portray the Doctor as a hippie who happened to be an alien demigod? (In other words, a Hawkwind member :mrgreen: )
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

It's hard to label Tom Baker's portrayal as a 'space hippy'. He more portrays him as a stark raving eccentric bohemian who just so happens to be an alien genius with two hearts, a big grin, a bigger scarf and a penchant for eating jelly-babies.

Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Added info on the orcs.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I find it interesting that these orcs look much more human than usual... perhaps in this 'verse the Orcs could be the descendants of the Neanderthals? :lol:
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Peregrin wrote:I find it interesting that these orcs look much more human than usual... perhaps in this 'verse the Orcs could be the descendants of the Neanderthals? :lol:
Considering that Homo Neanderthalis was a contemporary species to Homo Sapiens, it's quite possible that I could make Orcs into literal Neanderthals, and actually genuinely considered it for a while. :P Though the Neanderthals weren't green skinned enough.

By the way, all information shall be updated here from now on.