The Descendants Redux

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Peregrin

The Descendants Redux

Post by Peregrin »

Okay. After having talked about it with Shroomy on the MSN today I've decided that I won't do completely away with the extradimensionals and other paranormal/fantastic stuff... but I'll make it far more understated and poorly understood. The Faeries, in particular, will no longer be called that and they'll be more elusive, not as much like physical gods as some sort of cosmic Captain Nemo types. They'll no longer really be explained either.

Other than that I don't have so many other ideas for what to change, so I'll request some of those while I'm at it.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Re: The Descendants Redux

Post by Mobius 1 »

I thought your unnamed fantasy verse was a D-verse redux? Anyway, I would like to point out that old D-verse Faeries were already vague and not understood- unless every single one of your articles will be in-context, it'd be silly to be all "mysterious" when we, as the reader, all know they exist. I understand that, in-context you wouldn't want to quantify something that'd be mysterious to the verse characters, but we're not verse characters. And, as I said, you wouldn't do every article in-context.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Peregrin

Re: The Descendants Redux

Post by Peregrin »

Mobius 1 wrote:I thought your unnamed fantasy verse was a D-verse redux?
Nope, that one is supposed to be something completely new.
Anyway, I would like to point out that old D-verse Faeries were already vague and not understood- unless every single one of your articles will be in-context, it'd be silly to be all "mysterious" when we, as the reader, all know they exist.
I still think I explained too much... we now know that they're practically omnipotent, can change shape, come from another dimension where the laws of physics are different. I'm thinking of putting them more at just the thresholds of what makes sense within the D-verse's own laws of physics, if sometimes stretching that a little bit. But only sometimes.

EDIT: Basically, I want to make the faeries or whatever I'm gonna call them now the D-verse equivalent of our world's paranormal beings except here they'll have an actual effect on society and politics the few times they do act. The whole overt reality-warping/shape-shifting I'm thinking in particular of as too silly for as hard a SF setting as the D-verse was originally meant -I want to be their appearance just explainable within the known universe's laws and sociopolitical realities but somewhat improbable within that context. I might also change the Mala'akim, perhaps making it more ambiguous whether or not they are actually extradimensional or from this universe. (and renaming those too, I'm not sure if the implications that they're an ancient astronauts version of angels are easy to take seriously either)
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus