A Desolate Void - A Fantasy Universe Proposal

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Czernobog

A Desolate Void - A Fantasy Universe Proposal

Post by Czernobog »

A Desolate Void

General

The year is 2500 A.D (After Discovery) and humanity has spread across the infinite void of space from its home-world of Origin, long forgotten except in myth and legend.

After the Discovery of Magic and the making of the first faster-than-light drive, the human race first fought a brutal, millenium-long war with the Ellana, then had a thousand years of peace after which the Empire of Man fragmented in a brutal civil war, turning into a dozen nations only kept together by the presence of the Templar, a religious-military organisation which was originally the state church of the old Empire.

Then, after the Dissolution, there came the Urghai Horde, which swept through the galaxy and is currently being held in stalemate by the alliance of every race inside the galaxy, excepting the Star-Devils.

Races

The Ellana are one of the biggest races in the galaxy, with several large nations and a massive population. They live approximately 2000 years, have better hand-eye co-ordination than humans, and have a slight telepathic network (containing their collective unconsciousness and the memories of every Ellana) that they can tap into, which allows them to occasionally increase their magical ability.

The Duergan are a race of engineers, almost like idiot-savants in their ability to create works of technology and reverse-engineering. They live on massive colony vessels, since they have no planets of their own since their war against the Ellana. They are almost universally shorter than humans.

The Urghai come from another galaxy, and seek to conquer this one. It is said by some that all the Urghai seen so far are merely their military forces, sent to conquer this galaxy to make way for the bulk of their civilisation.

Humans

Look in a mirror for details.

The Ophanim are a very old star-faring species, ancient even when compared to the Ellana, and are very skilled in magic.

Magic

Magic, essentially, is the science of manipulating reality. A mage channels either positive or negative magic to warp reality according to his desires. Positive magic is the raw force of creation and energy, while negative magic is the power of destruction and entropy, each with corresponding results. These two energies can either be woven together or one at a time - weaving them together is dangerous but more powerful, while weaving one at a time is safer but less powerful.

There are several schools of magic, although they are not mutually exclusive:

Sorcery

The science of manipulating energy and matter. A mage with mastery in this power may shatter continents or worlds, create black holes, or other such tremendous powers.

Divination

The science of communication and far seeing. A mage that has mastered this power may create wormholes or portals, teleport between places, go to different dimensions, and other strange abilities.

Thaumaturgy

The science of directly manipulating space and time, allowing a mage to defy gravity, create pocket dimensions, travel in time, and perform many of the effects of Sorcery and Divination.

Arcanoengineering

Arcanoengineering is the science of making machines that work by magic. Such things as the FTL Drive, the Ashcroft Engine, and other technology enable forcefields, faster-than light travel, and constant, clean supplies of energy for spaceships and civilisations.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Destructionator

Re: A Desolate Void - A Fantasy Universe Proposal

Post by Destructionator »

Do you have any more details about what the setting is? What you have here is basically a list of generic definitions; there isn't much unique meat to the idea.
His Certifiable Geniusness, Adam D. Ruppe (My 'verse)
Marle: Lucca! You're amazing!
Lucca: Ain't it the truth! ... Oh, um...I mean...
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Czernobog

Re: A Desolate Void - A Fantasy Universe Proposal

Post by Czernobog »

Destructionator wrote:Do you have any more details about what the setting is? What you have here is basically a list of generic definitions; there isn't much unique meat to the idea.
Yes, I have some more details.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.