The Drums of War

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Czernobog

Re: The Drums of War

Post by Czernobog »

Military Vehicles and Equipment

Fairfax-pattern Superheavy Battle Tank

The age of the superheavy tank returned in the 2120s, with the advent of cheap, durable and light alloys such as Adamantine (which was named somewhat self-consciously) and Durasteel. The decision was taken to name it after General Alexander Fairfax, who broke the Russian lines at Ottawa and Toronto before reclaiming Montreal for the fledgeling USNA.

The Fairfax-pattern is a fusion-powered superheavy battle-tank, that travels somewhat slower than the Eliphas-pattern due to its massive bulk. Its main turret contains a fusion cannon, and it has another with a railgun and a third with a group of missile pods. The Fairfax has a typical speed (on road) of 100 miles an hour, owing to its cutting-edge engines, the same as on the Eliphas. Its fusion cannon can devastate an office building, and so can its railguns and missile projectors.

Rodina-pattern Superheavy Tank

The Rodina-pattern Superheavy Tank is an exercise in Russian simplicity. It resembles nothing so much as a WW2 tank enlarged, modified, given sponsons, a fusion reactor and the engines of an Eliphas-pattern, and then released to cause destruction. It is undeniably effective. The size of the tank belies its speed - its speed belies its power to wreak devastation.

It uses a fusion cannon and Tesla projectors to work the chaos that it is renowned for causing.

Tesla Tank

Tesla Tanks were the brainchild of a Professor Mannstein, an engineer who worked with the European Alliance's military until his death in the early 2140's. They feature a large-bore Tesla-cannon, which fires a bolt of lightning powerful enough to wreak even Superheavy Tanks. They are also covered with Tesla projectors, creating a web of lightning deadly for friend and foe alike.

Mark-4 X-25 Powered Exoskeketal Suit

The Mark-4 X-25 Powered Exoskeketal Suit is the ultimate in protection. For one, the suit enables the wearer to take small-arms and machine-gun fire like nothing, giving him an undeniable advantage. It also features active camouflage systems, a HUD like that in the helmets of the Continental Army's soldiers, and integral weapons consisting of a Gatling gun and miniature guided missile pods, the latter missing from most marks of the X-25 suit. It also enables the wearer to survive orbital drops - whether via drop-pod, gunship or integral, computer-activated parachute.

150 are in use, 300 in storage, and 5 have been loaned to the Alpha Dogs, the USNA's premier special forces group.

To be continued...
Last edited by Czernobog on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

So, the Rodina would be more mass-produceable than the other Superheavies because of its super simplicity? That's definitely Russian. Though making it a "WW2 tank enlarged" is kind of rather weird, seeing as Russians nowadays have tanks that are just as sophisticated as everyone else's.

Hell, the Russians are one of the few people (including the Israelis) who've managed to put active defense systems on their tanks, as in systems that can shoot down incoming warheads. Like ARENA. Also, I think the Russkies are the only guys whose main battle tanks can shoot missiles out of their cannons.

The Rodina should be simple, yeah. But WW2 is just too... eh, too downright caveman primitive. :P

You might also want to put some details on how, in this 'verse where the great powers have orbital warships and fusion planes, the Superheavy tanks that make superbig targets defend themselves from airborne and spaceborne threats.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Though making it a "WW2 tank enlarged" is kind of rather weird, seeing as Russians nowadays have tanks that are just as sophisticated as everyone else's.
It also has sponsons, which are - wait for it - stupid. Tanks haven't had spnsons since WW1 for a very good reason: they're bullet traps and pointless at the range a decent tank fights at.
Hell, the Russians are one of the few people (including the Israelis) who've managed to put active defense systems on their tanks, as in systems that can shoot down incoming warheads.

A ton of people have active defenses in development. AMAP-ADS, to name just one, is developed in Europe. Then there is the Quick Kill system from the USA, LEDS from South Africa, and I believe a bunch of others. Israel is just quicker because they need 'em more, what with them needing to shoot up Hezbollah every three years.
Also, I think the Russkies are the only guys whose main battle tanks can shoot missiles out of their cannons.
Wrong. There's also the XM1111 Mid Range Munition developed for the Rheinmetall 120mm gun,
The Rodina should be simple, yeah. But WW2 is just too... eh, too downright caveman primitive. :P
In the late 22nd century? Yeah I would say so. It's like copying the strategies employed by William Sherman during his sacking of Georgia... During the Gulf War. In other words, it's ridiculous.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Siege wrote:It also has sponsons, which are - wait for it - stupid. Tanks haven't had spnsons since WW1 for a very good reason: they're bullet traps and pointless at the range a decent tank fights at.
Yeah.
A ton of people have active defenses in development. AMAP-ADS, to name just one, is developed in Europe. Then there is the Quick Kill system from the USA, LEDS from South Africa, and I believe a bunch of others. Israel is just quicker because they need 'em more, what with them needing to shoot up Hezbollah every three years.
Yeah, also. But the Russians had active defenses ever since the seventies. :mrgreen:

I think the fact that the Russkies have this stuff ever since prehistoric times should put a nail into the coffin of the "hurr Russkies unsophistercated" cliche. Not that the Russians don't love using simplified and robust stuff, but stuff like "WW2 design but enlarged" is just... odd.

You are correct though. The Israelis and the Russkies are quicker because they need ém more because they need to go blow up Palestinians/Lebanese/Afghans/Chechens/Georgians every now and then (like, all the time). :mrgreen:
Also, I think the Russkies are the only guys whose main battle tanks can shoot missiles out of their cannons.
Wrong. There's also the XM1111 Mid Range Munition developed for the Rheinmetall 120mm gun,
Awww! *pouts and whines* But that thinggy is in developmentski, while the Russkie tank gun-missile is already in sertvice!

But there's also the Shillelagh! *gets clubbed by Scottish/Irish Leprechauns! WITH STICK*
In the late 22nd century? Yeah I would say so. It's like copying the strategies employed by William Sherman during his sacking of Georgia... During the Gulf War. In other words, it's ridiculous.
Just like firebombings. Those tactics are horrendously outdated and firebombings were used in WW2 precisely because shitplanes and shitbombers had shitbombs that were unguided so the best way to defeat the enemy was to make shitstrikes that dropped shitloads of shitbombs with shit-incendiaries at shitpeople.

Obviously this is no longer the case nowadays with smart weapons and cruise missiles. Which is why firebombings were not done on places like Iraq or Yugoslavia, or Afghanistan despite the fact that places like Iraq and Yugoslavia had air defenses that weren't shit.

Firebombings require obscene numbers of bombers dropping obscene numbers of bombs inaccurately. They don't destroy specific targets but just shit entire areas and cities up.

Smart bombs and guided missiles require comparatively much fewer planes, dropping comparatively fewer bombs/warheads. They do destroy specific targets without shitting entire areas and cities up.

Of course, the Europeans could firebomb the cities out of spite or vengeance or because they were grinning evilly and shit. But getting firebombed isn't really different from getting nuked, and if someone firebombed my shit I would be throwing nukes at their faces to fuck their mothers up too.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Destructionator

Post by Destructionator »

Kamin, I'm curious, why do you use the naming pattern of 'something-pattern'? I don't think I've ever seen that before. I would call it unique if all your polities didn't do it.
His Certifiable Geniusness, Adam D. Ruppe (My 'verse)
Marle: Lucca! You're amazing!
Lucca: Ain't it the truth! ... Oh, um...I mean...
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Destructionator wrote:Kamin, I'm curious, why do you use the naming pattern of 'something-pattern'? I don't think I've ever seen that before. I would call it unique if all your polities didn't do it.
I figured that it made my things unique. Also, I'm assuming that naming protocols have changed in the future.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

The Alpha Dogs

The Alpha Dogs are the USNA's elite special forces operatives, the best of the very best. They are its last line of defense, beyond even the Omega Legion and the Deathwatch Agency. They are the very best soldiers in its army, and are supremely trained and equipped. If they can't do the job, no one can.

The Alpha Dogs were founded in 2140, after the failure of the Deathwatch Agency in certain cases, such as the Project BLACKLIGHT affair, the Miami Hack, and many other such unusual affairs. Their goal is to seek and destroy possible threats to the United States of North America, and it is a rare time when they are called to war. Their current commanding officer is General Thaddeus Langstrom of the Continental Army, under whose jurisdiction they fight. They draw their members from the very best of the Continental Army's various Special Forces Groups, the kind of people about whom legends are made.

They have access to the USNA military's top, cutting-edge gear - fusion rifles, sniper rifles with homing bullets, power armour surpassing that of the USMC. It is estimated that it takes 100 men to support each Alpha Dog, but if their record is anything to go on, they are not men wasted.

So, let's meet them.

Rex Virgil, codenamed 'Duke' is their sergeant, commander and steadfast leader. He has lead them through countless battles, and yet survived, and bears his scars as marks of pride. He is very, very good with his preferred weapon, the M-199 fusion rifle.

Jack Carter, codenamed 'Hail' is the Squad Automatic Gunner, and wields his machine-gun with incredible skill. Enemies that show themselves near him tend to get mowed down quickly, owing to his skilled reflexes and unnering aim.

Darian Fletcher, codenamed 'Death' is an incredibly skilled sniper, who (so he claims) has never missed a target. This has some evidence to this, as his cutting-edge sniper rifle uses homing bullets, enabling them to manoeuvre for a brief period after they have been fired.

Mortimer Manhattan, codenamed 'Fire' is the team's demolitions and explosives expert. He is skilled, in particular, with the M-235 fusion cannon, and is also incredibly skilled with explosives. He's also good with a motorcycle.

James O'Brien, codenamed 'Cruise' is the team's transportation, and is incredibly skilled with all manner of vehicles, but particularly those that fly. He usually flies a Skyhawk military transport plane, but can fly bombers and helicopters as well.

Scarlett Starr, codenamed 'O'Hara' is the woman on the team, and is skilled with her chosen weapon, a laser-guided rail-crossbow. She is a striking redhead, intelligent and focussed. She will do anything to ensure the mission gets done. Her cybernetically-enhanced reflexes ensure that she can fire and attack before the enemy knows what's happening.
Last edited by Czernobog on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You might want to provide some more detailed history for the organization as a whole. When the Alpha Dogs were founded, why they were founded, their past exploits and all that stuff, where they draw their members from, the resources that are available to them, etc.

Cause as badass as six people are, unless they're utterly ridiculous and you want to portray them like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his movies (which is not a bad thing, but Arnold movies aren't entirely serious and are, in fact, intentionally funny), they're still going to be a drop in a very big bucket.

What's their support structure like? Who orders them around?

EDIT:

Better. Eventually when you eventually work on fleshing out the dudes, you might want to define each Alpha Dog's characteristics with more details than just "is really good with rifle/machinegun/arrows". But that's for later.

Thaddeus Langstrom is a nice name, too. Real Murrican-sounding and commandery.

Blackwing

Post by Blackwing »

Don't listen to Kamin about him trying to make his things more unique by calling them 'something-pattern'.

He ripped that off from Warhammer 40k (scroll down to variants), just like the ripped off the 'bigger russian ww2 tank with sponsons' and 'Rodina' is probably ripped off from Exterminatus Now, a Warhammer 40k/Sonic the Hedgehog combo-webcomic (it's fairly awesome.... when they can be arsed to update), where it is the equivalent of Soviet Russia.

Also the X-25 sounds strangely familiar.
So Einstein was wrong when he said "God does not play dice". Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that He sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen. ~ Stephen Hawking
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I knew the 'xyz-pattern'' were something from 40k and it's fairly obvious that he's borrowing Leman Russes and Baneblades. I didn't feel like calling him out on it because it might make him sads. :P

As an aside (is that grammatically correct), Siege also did have something-something-patterns too. But that was a.) my suggestion and b.) because British Challenger tanks designed to fight on Martian soil would have, uh, Mars-pattern camouflage. ;)

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Don't listen to Blackwave. I had no intention of ripping off 40K or that webcomic. And I had absolutely no idea that I had ripped off the Tau by calling my power armour the X-25. He may be mistaken, or he may be malevolent - I don't care, but I just want to get the record straight.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I don't know about the Tau suits, since those are just a bunch of letters and numbers. They're obviously G.I. Joe Accelerator Suits though, Kamin even used a screencap from the movie. Silly Blackwing, come on. :P

But Blackwing is dead-on about the Leman Russ thing, though. Kamin''s a giant 40k fan and named his Leman Russes after Eliphas the Inheritor and he's got Baneblades and stuff. But I think using the "xyz-pattern" naming scheme is harmless. :mrgreen:

Amway, meh. Those aren't offenses amyway since Kamin's not copy-pasting wholesale from Games Workshop or doing anything that can provoke their unholy army of shitlawyers. Kamin''s just making not-so-subtle references by borrowing 40k tanks for his tanks, and borrowing GI Joe special forces for his special forces, but that's no biggie by me. At least he's not borrowing 40k religions for his religions, or borrowing Lovecraft religions for his religions... because that would've been silly.

Eventually, he'll grow out of this phase anyway. We all do. Well, sorta. Or, at least, in time he'll learn to be more subtle and stuff and not make things too obvious.

The key with making references and stuff is that while the thinggy your using may or may not be recognizable from the awesome thing you're referencing, the important thing is that you also inject a whole lot of your own original individual material to it so that it won't be a carbon-copy of the thing you're trying to reference. It's not like the rest of us don't make references, I do it and even Siege does it, but the most important thing is that we also put our own personal touch in the stuff that's being referenced.

Amyway Blackwing's not malevolent at all. He's been part of this community for years, long before OZ was OZ and long before the OZers were members. Blackwing was already a grouchy old mang when I was the hyperactive annoying n00b.

I love Blackwing.

Don't fault Blackwing for being too harsh on ya, Kamin. I mean, people have good reason to be watching you very closely. I am too, even though I'm being super-duper nice about it. I'm so nice that I even make Mother Theresa look like a whore. That whore.

^________________________^

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I actually think that Kamin's already getting more subtle in his constant homaging and pastiching of his influences, which is a sign of improvement. Just borrowing terminology from some other SF series is pretty damn mild compared to true blue plagiarism if you ask me. Hell, Warhammer 40,000 is already full of pretty obvious references to lots of other stuff, for example Dune: Lasguns, the God-Emperor, psychic mutant astral navigators and so on.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It's the fact that they added their own twist to the reference, that makes referencing okay and not lame. For example, 40k made their God-Emperor actually an awesome super-psyker engaging a never ending astral war against the Ruinous Power while being fueled by the souls of sacrificial psychics, compared to Dune's God-Emperor. What happened to the Mua'dib's heir? Oh, right, he became a giant Sandworm. lol :lol: lol :lol:

40k's lasguns don't make horrific explosions when they're fired at shields, not like Dune. In Dune, that nonsense with the catastrophic explosion means that the Sarduakar and the shitpiece Space Mujahadeen have to engage in goddamn knife-fights or some shit. In 40k, lasguns can be recharged by tossing them into campfires. :lol:

So while 40k references franchises like Dune a lot, despite that 40k's material still avoids being a lame ripoff. I mean, StarCraft could've counted as a lame ripoff of 40k but the fact that despite superficial similarities both franchises are still pretty different means that SC doesn't become just a mere lame 40k ripoff and doesn't get killed by Games Workshop lawyers.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

What I mean is basically is that Kamin is moving away from swiping things wholesale to just using vaguely similar concepts and terminology if somewhat slowly. For example, the XV-25 powersuits not being the big clunky mecha-type things like the 40k ones. Or at least I hope he is. 8-)
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well, it's fine to reference as long as there is an explanation or lampshade for it. Maybe the dudes in power loved to play 40K as nerdy teens, and decided that in order to show how powerful they are, the dicks order twisted sci-fi inventions like sponson WWII megatanks with missiles, and mad experiments with METAL BOXES!

I mean, I took the Orks' DAKKA battle doctrine for my Hardcore Way stuff, but that's because people want to show how rich their polity is by tossing around endless streams of impractical bullets. Also, most of the bullets are bad for the environment, so it's an advantage for the invaders. They can kill and pollute their enemies!So yeah, referencing is fine as long as it's plausible.

Still, I like Kamin's stuff. The tanks are HUEG! and the guns LONG AND HARD!
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

The Deathwatch Agency

The Deathwatch Agency is formally known as Division Six of the AIA (the American Intelligence Agency). However, the activities that they perform are much more esoteric than the other divisions of the AIA. Their goal is 'the search and destruction of extraordinary threats', a goal they share with the Alpha Dogs.

However, the Agency is much more secretive and cerebral than that group of all-American heroes. They are devoted to the research, seeking and destruction of truly extraordinary threats - threats like the engineers of Project BLACKLIGHT, a disastrously failed attempt to create 'persons of mass destruction'. They continuously attempt to preserve the USNA, keeping the masses in the dark so that they can breathe freer.

The Agency was founded in 2129, and has proved its worth on many occasions, such as when a terrorist memetic hack in New York forced them to deploy a blockbuster bomb to stop the incursion, or when the agent assigned to stand guard over Project BLACKLIGHT gave his life to warn the Agency (and thus the USNA) about the TABRIS entity.

The Agency's Operatives are heavily cyber-modified, with automatic drug dispensers installed that enable them to ignore fear and pain, cybernetic eyes that let them see through walls, enhanced muscles and reflexes enabling them to dodge bullets, and other such augmentations.

The Agency is currently overseen by Director-General Michael Sawyer, who stands below the Chief Director of the AIA. The Director-General has a number of direct subordinates, who oversee various aspects of the Agency, but their names are not worth mentioning here.

The Agency is known to the public, but only under its official name - Division Six, and its exploits are generally classified at the very highest level of secrecy. It is rumoured in some circles to have some role in deciding the missions of the USNA's military, but this is a wild rumour at best.
Last edited by Czernobog on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They seem to be a pretty cool bunch of spooks, real Deus Ex-like buncha men in black helicopters type of deal doing all sorts of backdoor secret nasty. The article is of decent length, fairly detailed, not really overlong or anything, and I kinda hope you keep up in making your other articles and/or character profiles similarly detailed as this stuff (and not as un-detailed as, like, "has laser machinegun, good aim" or "metahuman guy can use hypnotic chokeslam") since many of your worldbuilding articles show much progress over your earlier stuff.

Gotta wonder though, does every rogue psyker person of mass destruction have to be called Tabris? Aside from O1World, I think you've used that name in other places too... Maybe you could go for something new or something. :)

Blackwing

Post by Blackwing »

So Einstein was wrong when he said "God does not play dice". Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that He sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen. ~ Stephen Hawking
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It's not like 40k has a monopoly on the term 'Deathwatch', and unless Kamin's Deathwatch Agency starts recruiting bio-engineered SPESS MARINES from other Chapters and has them serve the Inquisition, I think the name really isn't that big a transgression. It's not exactly original and it's very much a reference, but meh.

Besides, poor little guy took some time to write some of his Agency's past exploits, and I think we're all thankful that none of that stuff involves punching Tzeentchians or Lovecraftianoids in the face. Because if that were so, then I'd be complaining too. Goddamn Tzeentchians. At least we don't have Corn.

EDIT:

But yeah. Blackwing is kinda right. Having too much 40k references isn't really cool either. We've already got METAL BOXES. :mrgreen:

EDIT 2:

And yes, I do know that the name is from 40k's Deathwatch since I'm also versed in that stuff, mangs. I just chose not to comment on it.

But... yeah.

Magister Militum

Post by Magister Militum »

Honestly, Blackwing, just knock it off already. We all know where Kamin is getting his references, and, to tell the truth, he is getting much better at being both subtle with said references and actually writing some background to this stuff. As long as it isn't an overt rip off, then I see no real problem. Of course, you should keep in mind, Kamin, that too many references can be a bad thing.
Democratic Socialist | Atheist | Transhumanist | Bright Green Environmentalist | Worldbuilder | IT Professional |

Germania your game is through, now you're gonna answer to... The Freestates! Fuck Yeah! Now lick my balls and suck on my cock! Freestates, Fuck Yeah! Coming in to save the motherfuckin' day! Rock and roll, fuck yeah! Television, fuck yeah! DVDs, fuck yeah! Militums, fuck yeah! - Shroomy
Blackwing

Post by Blackwing »

Magister Militum wrote:Honestly, Blackwing, just knock it off already. We all know where Kamin is getting his references, and, to tell the truth, he is getting much better at being both subtle with said references and actually writing some background to this stuff. As long as it isn't an overt rip off, then I see no real problem. Of course, you should keep in mind, Kamin, that too many references can be a bad thing.

From this point on, I'll be posting references to everything Kamin steals from 40k.

For the simple reason that: a. He claimed not to want to rip off 40k, yet constantly and blatantly keeps doing it, b. suggested I was either 'mistaken or malevolent' when I pointed it out, despite the fact that we all know I was in fact option 3: Completely right and he's been called on it and told, asked, ordered and begged to stop and c. He spelled my name wrong!

Well ok maybe not because of c.

But seriously, Games Workshop is one of the most 'cease and desist or we'll sue your ass off'-happy companies out there and by even allowing Kamin's blatant 40k rip offs to exist on this forum we risk not just him getting in trouble, but the entire board.

Kamin using the name Deathwatch would be pretty ok if he didn't have a long, long history with pilfering their IP for everything it's worth. As it stands however, more theft.

(To explain further: 'the TABRIS entity' is more than likely to be a reference to the last angel from Neon Genesis Evangelion. The Alpha Dogs = G.I. Joe (I mean, come on... 'Duke'? 'all-american heroes'?) and we know Kamin's seen the movie recently since he fucking used images from it.

Kamin's not getting better or more subtle about his theft... He's just stealing from more and more varied sources!)
Magister Militum

Post by Magister Militum »

Blackwing wrote:Kamin using the name Deathwatch would be pretty ok if he didn't have a long, long history with pilfering their IP for everything it's worth. As it stands however, more theft.

(To explain further: 'the TABRIS entity' is more than likely to be a reference to the last angel from Neon Genesis Evangelion. The Alpha Dogs = G.I. Joe (I mean, come on... 'Duke'? 'all-american heroes'?) and we know Kamin's seen the movie recently since he fucking used images from it.

Kamin's not getting better or more subtle about his theft... He's just stealing from more and more varied sources!)
While you may be one to something with the leman Russ ripoff, your other examples are either debatable (Like Shroomy, I have my considerable doubts about the XV25 battlesuit connection) or really pushing it (the use of gyrojets constitutes as a Bolter ripoff how?). Even if we assume that Kamin's X25 battlesuits are a reference to the XV25, for example, they have virtually nothing in common. The X25 and XV25 have virtually no similar qualities other than those that all battlesuits have.

Now, I'm not saying that I fully condone Kamin's tendencies to borrow heavily on Warhammer 40K, as being too dependent on references stifles your creative abilities considerably and makes your work tiresome and unoriginal. However, if we instantly claim 'plagiarism!' over dubious references like classifying something a a ____-Pattern, then were do we draw the line? In my own 'verse, one of the primary directed energy weapons in use by certain polities is the powergun, a reference to the powerguns of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers series. Does that make me a plagiarist, despite the fact that my powerguns work on a completely different principal than Drake's (Drake's powerguns are plasma weapons, while mine fire beams or pulses of exotic energy, like a turbolaser)?

Siege made it clear to many of us that Kamin was to be judged on his actions after he returned, and not on his previous actions. I don't know about you, but compared to his previous actions, such as copying an entire RPG system developed at SDN and passing it off as its own, Kamin has made progress.

Jesus Christ, it's finally happened. I've done a complete 180 and have gone from wanting to rip out Kamin's throat to defending him! I'm losing my touch... :D
Democratic Socialist | Atheist | Transhumanist | Bright Green Environmentalist | Worldbuilder | IT Professional |

Germania your game is through, now you're gonna answer to... The Freestates! Fuck Yeah! Now lick my balls and suck on my cock! Freestates, Fuck Yeah! Coming in to save the motherfuckin' day! Rock and roll, fuck yeah! Television, fuck yeah! DVDs, fuck yeah! Militums, fuck yeah! - Shroomy
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I rather like the Deathwatch Agency, but I probably would like it better if the article didn't borrow from my own work on The Activity.

With all due respect, but this article mentions that the DA "stand guard over the BLACK MAGIC portal". The Activity"stands guard over the FEVER DREAM gate system". The DA "proved its worth on many occasions, such as when a memetic hack forced them to deploy a blockbuster bomb to stop the incursion", versus "the memetic virus took over a city block before it could be contained, and The Activity had to liaise with the supragovernmental agency Entente in order to defeat it – by ordering a blockbuster bomb dropped before the virus could spread".

Now, supposedly imitation is the highest form of flattery, and I'll be the first to admit that I readily borrow from a variety of sources -- especially when it comes to CSW, firmly based as that 'verse is on paranoid conspiracy literature. But Kamin, please, put a little more effort in it will ya?
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Awww... Militum you are making my cold black breastbleeding heart all warm and fuzzy, maybe Kamin won't hate you forever amymore. :P

But yeah, while Kamin was obviously using GI JOE and 40k references, I think the X25 is a bit tenuous since A.) Duh, it's a GI Joe Accelerator Suit :P and B.) It's a mix of alphanumeric-thingies, a jumble of letters and numers so unless Kamin called it a 'Crisis' or a 'Broadside' suit, the fact that they've got a few meaningless numbers or letters in common still doesn't make it too blatant.

As for bolters, Kamin used gyrojets because he thinks they're real-life bolters and he writes them with bolter-like effects. But what's wrong with using gyrojets? Meh.
Blackwing wrote:From this point on, I'll be posting references to everything Kamin steals from 40k.
It's not like we'll miss much. Between me and Siege, dunno about Militum, we're pretty familiar with 40k and much of the stuff you've pointed out we already know amyway, we just didn't bother to point out. The Malcador thing over at Comix slipped past me, though, since I don't really give a fuck about the Horus Heresy series and I'm just a total bitch for Cain and Eisenshroom. :P
For the simple reason that: a. He claimed not to want to rip off 40k, yet constantly and blatantly keeps doing it, b. suggested I was either 'mistaken or malevolent' when I pointed it out, despite the fact that we all know I was in fact option 3: Completely right and he's been called on it and told, asked, ordered and begged to stop and c. He spelled my name wrong!

Well ok maybe not because of c.
Come on, the kid's very young and still struggling. Don't get as heated as you did when debating with Siege on water units in SC, mang. ;) :P
But seriously, Games Workshop is one of the most 'cease and desist or we'll sue your ass off'-happy companies out there and by even allowing Kamin's blatant 40k rip offs to exist on this forum we risk not just him getting in trouble, but the entire board.
Oh come on. Kamin's done nothing sue-worthy and if he does something utterly horrible and it does come to that, those Games Workshop Lawyer-Inquisitor Kill Teams will be coming for him and not us anyway. Sure they'll mindflay us, but it's him who'll be taken to the acroflagellator. :P

Besides, they haven't sued people who write 40k fanfics yet, amirite?
Kamin using the name Deathwatch would be pretty ok if he didn't have a long, long history with pilfering their IP for everything it's worth. As it stands however, more theft.
Err... yeah... about that *looks at Siege's post and whistles*
TABRIS is a reference to some albino shmuck he used in O1World with superpowers comprable to Uriel (from Stuart Slade's Salvation War stories) himself! What powers you ask? How about the power of flight? That's levitations, holmes. And how about the power to kill a yak from two hundred yards away... WITH MIND BULLETS!? That's telekinesis, BW!

And how about the power to... move you.

History of Shroomy Boy and young Kamin Maaaaan! Rigga-goo-goo Rigga-goo-goo...
Yeah... we should encourage him to be more original. It'd be better for us to use nice words, since he might grow hardheaded if we use harsh words and he might think we're "attacking" him since he kind of regards certain kinds of criticism that way. Let's be nice, since I'm way more saintly than that breastbleeding whore Mother Theresa.
Siege wrote:I rather like the Deathwatch Agency, but I probably would like it better if the article didn't borrow from my own work on The Activity.

With all due respect, but this article mentions that the DA "stand guard over the BLACK MAGIC portal". The Activity"stands guard over the FEVER DREAM gate system". The DA "proved its worth on many occasions, such as when a memetic hack forced them to deploy a blockbuster bomb to stop the incursion", versus "the memetic virus took over a city block before it could be contained, and The Activity had to liaise with the supragovernmental agency Entente in order to defeat it – by ordering a blockbuster bomb dropped before the virus could spread".

Now, supposedly imitation is the highest form of flattery, and I'll be the first to admit that I readily borrow from a variety of sources -- especially when it comes to CSW, firmly based as that 'verse is on paranoid conspiracy literature. But Kamin, please, put a little more effort in it will ya?
Aw, Kamin! Come on, mang! BE COOL!

I kinda knew I heard 'memetic virus' before, but mang.