The Thunderverse

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Arkitek

Re: The Thunderverse

Post by Arkitek »

Hm. Will do. I'm just planning out the plotline so I don't end up writing myself into a corner or anything. :lol:
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Nice story. Not only is it a good chase story, as FROD pointed out, but we can see all sorts of nifty techno-magical doodads in the form of the Technate goons Ryan will send after The Runaway Spyre as she makes her escape! And perhaps shacks up with the Norikan RESISTANCE guys as they do their plucky down-on-their-luck ragtag rebellion thing, and as the good-guys band together and defeat the evil RYAN THUNDER and depose him from his TECHNO-TECHNATE THUNDER THRONE! :D

Zany, techno-magical adventures!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Arkitek

Post by Arkitek »

Thanks, Shroom. :D

Hey, I don't mean to sound paranoid or anything, but is there somewhere I could post the story that isn't viewable by the general public?
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Ask Siege. Writer's Guild at SDnet?

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Arkitek

Post by Arkitek »

Well, I'm happy to share it with you guys. It's just that... well, I'd rather not find out one day that it could've earned me some cash and I wasted the opportunity, right? :P
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

It's no big. You are, frankly, not likely to publish your first 'real' piece of writing, and even if you did end up seeking publishing on it, you could just take it down. As it is if you ever become a published writer, the chances are it's not going to be on this.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Arkitek

Post by Arkitek »

Ford Prefect wrote:It's no big. You are, frankly, not likely to publish your first 'real' piece of writing, and even if you did end up seeking publishing on it, you could just take it down. As it is if you ever become a published writer, the chances are it's not going to be on this.
True enough.

I have to study for an exam, but here's something small I just threw together while I was taking a break; (yay, flavour text and directly translated Norikeen slang :V)

Code: Select all

Q: Okay. Tell me what happened.
A: I heard that the town was under attack. My unit was off-duty at the time, but they sent some chiefs after us--yeah?
Q: What did they tell you?
A: Nothing; maybe they tried to tell us something but all I heard was bullshit.
Q: Bullshit? You mean they were lying to you?
A: What? Deeps no, I mean it was bullshit.
Q: You couldn't understand them, you mean?
A: Yeah. That's what I meant. They were scared shitless and they couldn't talk right. So we grabbed our rifles and went outside as fast as we could. Outside it was chaos, everybody was running around without a clue. What I'll never forget is how loud it was. Stars, the noise. The whole damned militia must have been throwing everything at her.
Q: Her?
A: You fucking know who I'm talking about. That fucking witch. She killed everybody.
Q: How did you survive?
A: I saw her with my own two fucking eyes, you bastard. Prettiest face I ever saw, too.
Q: I'm not insinuating anything.
A: Alright. Fucking witch. Killed everybody.
:: Subject assaults the table.
Q: How did you survive?
A: I'm not fucking blind, I can see that file you left on the table there. You know more than I did before I read it. She brought a house down on my head after filling the skies with burning blades, and then brought the whole fucking town down on everybody else with an earthquake. Next thing I know they're digging me out of the rubble and I can't feel my legs. Oh, stars. They were shooting fucking everything at her. Everything. She just stood there and took it. Didn't even budge. Guns, grenades, rockets, mortars--it was all for shit. It did fuck all. It didn't even touch her. I've seen a witch fight. They're fucking scary. But not like this. Deeps, I shot a wizard, once, one of those Technate spooks. Shut him down like anybody else, but this one--Stars.
A: What haunts me--I swear, I think she was laughing at us. Laughing. Laughing like a maniac. Like it was fun. Stars, what a crazy bitch.
:: Subject refused to answer any further questions.
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

That sounds exactly like something from the modern world. You might want to work on that, try to make the dialogue more 'authentic' to the setting.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Arkitek

Post by Arkitek »

Ford Prefect wrote:That sounds exactly like something from the modern world. You might want to work on that, try to make the dialogue more 'authentic' to the setting.
That was intentional. The one's I'd write classical fantasy dialogue for are Technate "spooks" (slang for witches/wizards), Ancients (like Ryan, sometimes), countryfolk and monks from Kanatia, and perhaps some other countries.

So it depends on who's talking. In this case it's just some Norikeen militiaman from a mountain town that Shard blew away for training purposes. He's undereducated and makes such heavy use of slang that another guy from the same country has to ask him what he means by it.

Moderately unrelated; some casting! :D (just in terms of faces, of course. Finding these people with the right clothing would be impossible for obvious reasons.)

Lord-General Ryan Thunder (Daniel Craig)
Image (EDIT: You may have to right-click on this and hit "view image")

Pretty straightforward; he's got the right eyes straight off the bat, and it wouldn't be difficult to give him jet black hair. Might go with the unmodified look anyway, though.

Edera Shard, Spyre Witch (Li Bing Bing)

I actually wanted to use Li Bing Bing for both Eira and Edera but I remembered Parent Trap and just couldn't see it ending well. It wouldn't be impossible; making her look a few years younger or older seems to be more a matter of outfit and makeup than facial features (it helps that she's aged so goddamn well that I thought she was at least five years younger than she is, and those were recent pictures!)

If a hypothetical movie did go down that route she'd be something like this;

However, I'll use Erika Toda, because she's different, but her facial structure seems to me to be close enough that one probably wouldn't have trouble believing they're related (IMHO). Might have to play with skin colour/eyebrows a bit, but that's just lighting and makeup. Hell, they give actors/actresses prosthetic noses some times (Gandalf in Lord of the Rings, for instance).

Eira (Erika Toda)

In any event, neither of them should look very threatening. :P

Eira's surname is deleted for cultural reasons. In Eidantordan, if you're adopted, you do not generally keep your surname. There's no particular stigma associated with that because Eidantordan is a nice place full of nice people (kind of like a tropical version of Canada). In Eira's case, nobody had any way of knowing what it was anyway. These days they get around the expected confusions from this by giving you PINs.
Arkitek

Post by Arkitek »

Updates to the Cosmological Configuration of the Universe

The universe extends seemingly forever, for all intents and purposes an infinite flat plane dotted by enormous 'star fountains' creating not-quite-regular day/night cycles across Earth-scale areas by belching great whirling clouds of superheated thaumium1 into the sky. These clouds of plasma eventually cool and condense into solid masses that occasionally rain down on the world below, but until then they light the sky much as distant stars light ours.

A 'realm' is an area surrounding one of these sun fountains. No other realms have yet been observed from the one I tend to write about; they're separated by hundreds of thousands--sometimes millions--of kilometres, unimaginably vast plains of ice, inhospitable vacuum, seemingly bottomless chasms and dead or dormant star fountains.

Smaller fountains, such as Mount Zephyr, produce molten tor, which can be harvested once it cools and then employed to construct levengines2.

1 Thaumium is magic given physical form. Since it can be incorporated into alloys and molecules (in a manner of speaking) and there are different kinds of thaumium, it's given a designation in the periodic table, 'Tu'. Its 'isotopes' vary wildly in their properties. The key material found in levitation engines is usually called Thaumium II.
2 Engines of levitation.
Last edited by Arkitek on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arkitek

Post by Arkitek »

The great desert between realms has many names, some of them, perhaps, predictable; the Infinite Dark, the Darkness, the Freeze, the Void, and so on. Out of the reaches of our realm, where the last tendrils of oxygen and nitrogen condense into clouds before falling from the sky, one can spot other great star fountains through telescopes, where the great undulations of the Infinite does not obscure them.
Arkitek

Post by Arkitek »

A 'realm' is generally considered to be an area where there is light, heat, and/or atmosphere in excess of the average. For most people it is simply any discrete area of the universe that isn't by nature hostile to human life. Circa Y4017, astronomer-thaumaturges have identified three primary categories of realm;

Realm Fountain - A 'hot spot' creates an enormous volcano, emitting whirling clouds of superheated tor and causing outgassing of carbon dioxide, oxygen, nitrogen, and other gases. The tor clouds burn brightly in the evening sky for several centuries before cooling sufficiently to fall back to the surface, usually impacting in inter-realm lands. The atmosphere in our realm is sufficiently thick to cause most falling stars to burn up before they reach the surface.

Darkrealm - A lesser 'hot spot' generates heat near the surface and causes outgassing but does not create a fountain to provide light. Darkrealms are usually lit only by the fiery red streams of lava rolling down the slopes of great volcanoes.

Highrealm - A floating mountain containing large quantities of tor. Most are massive enough to form into spheres under their own force of gravity, since smaller masses do not contain sufficient internal heat to sustain lift for more than a few centuries and simply crash to the surface. The process behind the formation of highrealms (not to mention, why they condense into a sphere and the rest of the universe doesn't) remains a mystery.