Eidolons

Kingmaker

Eidolons

Post by Kingmaker »

Eidolon is a classification for the various lesser divinities that remain after the destruction of the Archons. They vary wildly in power, from genuinely godlike to not notably distinct from human, but all possess the same basic nature and are subject to the same limitations. Eidolons are typically associated with some aspect of nature or civilization from which they derive power. Though they will not die from natural causes, they can be killed both by other eidolons and by humans, as many found out both during the fall of the Archons and in later conflicts. Likewise, it is possible for new eidolons to be created as the result of human action.
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Heading said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
-Rudyard Kipling
Kingmaker

Re: Eidolons

Post by Kingmaker »

“Look, I understand your anger, Mr. Lenclare, but a deal is a deal. I might have encouraged you a bit, but you signed that contract of your own free will and you must abide by it”. Croeszan felt a slight twinge of nerves and did his best to ignore the pair of shotguns pointed at his head. He could still talk his way out of this. He could always talk his way out of things.

“Yeah, well, the contract didn’t say a thing about blowing your fucking face off. I don’t like it when people think they can get the better of me. You lied to me about how this would work.”

Croeszan snorted derisively. “Eidolons can’t lie, Mr. Lenclare. Every schoolchild knows that.”

“Fine then. You misled me. You twisted the truth to get me to agree to this deal.”

“You misled yourself. It can hardly be my fault that you didn’t understand the ramifications of the bargain. You traded twenty years of age, Mr. Lenclare, not twenty years off your life. In this day and age, a year of life is cheap. Any corner alchemist can sell you twenty years of life. And besides, it is hardly as if you got nothing from the deal.” Croeszan fervently wished that Lenclare would just accept that he had been out bargained. It had been fun and nothing personal. But misunderstandings like this happened occasionally—it came by necessity with the profession.

“Doesn’t matter. Give it back or I have them shoot your kneecaps off. Some eidolons might be tough enough to take that and stay standing, but you aren’t one of them.”

“Make me an offer, and I’ll think about sell your age back.”

“Bargaining time is over, eidolon,” Lenclare snarled. “You aren’t getting anything more out of me. One last time: give it back.”

“Bargaining doesn’t work that way.”

“Too bad.” Lenclare motioned for his thugs.

“Wait, wait, wait!” Croeszan spluttered. The thugs stopped. “How much did the two of you pay for those guns? I’ll triple – no quadruple – it.” The offer was backed by Croeszan’s own eidolonic will. He snapped open his briefcase and removed a sheaf of money. He might not be able to induce them to betray their employer, but they didn’t need guns right now and getting people to make bad deals was well within Croeszan’s power.

Croeszan is an apotheistic eidolon who originated in the now defunct Cathyr Empire. In life he was a travelling merchant who became renowned across both the Cathyr and Edessan empires for being able to sell anything to anyone, as well as for being extra-ordinarily rich (he is also attributed with the re-invention of currency). The details of his apotheosis are unknown to theological scholars, and Croeszan sold his memories of the event to a now dead mage who was looking to ascend herself (she didn’t succeed). He is now associated with commerce and money. He is a fairly narrow and weak eidolon, with his abilities being confined to trading, bargaining, and the accumulation of wealth. He has no organized clergy or followers, and in fact has fallen from general knowledge as anything more than a mythological character. He makes no particular effort to conceal his existence, but he still manages to avoid being noticed in any significant way.

Personality-wise, Croeszan is extremely greedy, self-indulgent, and acquisitive, but also dead-set on honoring his contracts (and making sure that those on the other end reciprocate). His inability to lie has made him fairly adept at misleading people through clever use of language and preying upon their expectations. Croeszan hates modern business, and views it as impersonal and lacking soul. He prefers to make his money buying, selling, and brokering things of value. Nevertheless, he has managed to make himself an impressive fortune despite the necessarily limited scope of his operations.

Croeszan’s abilities as an eidolon are fairly limited, but can be quite powerful within their scope. He can induce people to make bargains in defiance of normal inhibitions like professional standards, self-respect, adverse circumstances, or cultural conditioning. It is not flawless, but it goes a long way towards overcoming those things. Second, Croeszan can trade in metaphysical and intangible things like skills, age, identity, and free will. Finally, the contracts Croeszan makes, whether between himself and a client or merely brokered by him, are magically binding on all involved parties.
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Heading said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
-Rudyard Kipling
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: Eidolons

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh man! Did he just buy those thugs' guns, so he can shoot that fucker with them? Brilliant! :lol:

Sounds like a complete asshole.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD