General Info, Q&A, etc.

Moderator: Heretic

wellis

Re: General Info, Q&A, etc.

Post by wellis » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:38 am

Just read this in a comment on a scifi blog but I think it could fit here:

"It would be interesting to see a really dark MSF setting where militaries have a mobile Soylent Green factories that would process fallen enemy soldiers into food."

"For darker MSF setting a military can shovel into the mobile Soylent Green factories enemy civilian… including women & children.
For even darker MSF a military can use it own soldiers corpses to make Soylent Green rations – saving the military the need to send food and empty body bags to the front and sending back home full body bags…"

I could see some in the Gloguk possibly doing stuff like this?

wellis

Post by wellis » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:02 am

So I guess you're not interested in the idea eh?

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:04 am

I swore I posted up the response; this and last week has been pretty lucid with all the test prepping.

I was gonna say though that the various factions do alot of terraforming, and if they don't enslave or subjugate the population, throwing them into a giant blender is probably what happens.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell

wellis

Post by wellis » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:05 pm

Heretic wrote:I swore I posted up the response; this and last week has been pretty lucid with all the test prepping.

I was gonna say though that the various factions do alot of terraforming, and if they don't enslave or subjugate the population, throwing them into a giant blender is probably what happens.
Freaky!

At first I was thinking the Gloguk would try that with Tyxian stuff but I realized Tyxan biological stuff would probably be dangerous to turn into food. Then it made me think of Gloguk armies taking their own dead and processing them into food or fertilizer or whatever. A way to use the remains and possibly, sold to the public or military, as a way of honoring the dead. Even in death, they help fight against the Tyxans in some way, whether by giving you energy as part of your rations or as a means to help grow food wherever.

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:02 am

wellis wrote: Freaky!

At first I was thinking the Gloguk would try that with Tyxian stuff but I realized Tyxan biological stuff would probably be dangerous to turn into food. Then it made me think of Gloguk armies taking their own dead and processing them into food or fertilizer or whatever. A way to use the remains and possibly, sold to the public or military, as a way of honoring the dead. Even in death, they help fight against the Tyxans in some way, whether by giving you energy as part of your rations or as a means to help grow food wherever.
Depending on the culture, I can see that. Some human cultures would scoff at the idea of eating their own dead (not that the Gloguk doesn't secretly put corpse starch into the rations in case of emergencies) while others consider it a efficient method of recycling.

Depending on the composition of the Gloguk Galactic Conquest fleet, the defeated inhabitants of a planet may either become second class citizens or outright slaughtered and processed for resources. Earthling cultures with a large Tyxan-human hybrid demographic in their military treat Tyxan natives quite well for an occupying force, whereas Varakeef simply massacre them all, for example. But most times it's a middle ground, where defeated populations are displaced from bountiful lands (alive or dead) and put the survivors to work in heavy mines and industries or otherwise in second rate service jobs with little to no pay.

As for Tyxan biotechnology, some of it can be edible but since all sorts of chemicals and tissues go into the technology especially weapons and armor, it isn't worth the scant and usually bland flesh (flora/fauna alike). That being said, the various chemicals are recycled back into the planet during terraforming process.
-Joseph Campbell

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:53 pm

For such a small landmass compared to the United States or Asia, Europe has a whole bunch varying cultures.

This may take a while even with consolidations.
-Joseph Campbell

wellis

Post by wellis » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:16 am

Considering the wide variety of aliens in the Gloguk and their militaries, what attempts at standardization do its masters attempt to impose? Because you have to worry about things like logistics and frankly having multiple different types of guns that are reliant upon different types of ammo and such can be logistically challenging.

Is there anything akin to a single weapon the Gloguk tries to provide everyone? Like a common rifle or something? Look at the Imperial Guard from 40K for example. Despite the often vast differences between regiments, and cultures and such, they all still use the humble lasgun. Anything similar to that?

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:46 pm

wellis wrote:Considering the wide variety of aliens in the Gloguk and their militaries, what attempts at standardization do its masters attempt to impose? Because you have to worry about things like logistics and frankly having multiple different types of guns that are reliant upon different types of ammo and such can be logistically challenging.
There is really no standardization in the Gloguk due to how decentralized Galactic Conquest Fleets are. Gloguk Conquest Fleets are created within a regional area, be it continental or a whole planetary system. Member races usually have more resources and therefore can wage longer campaigns than Participant races, such as humanity. The Gloguk believes that the diversity of the Galactic Conquest Fleets are their main strength. So while individual Fleets may decide to have a standardized service rifle, there is little uniformity in the Gloguk as a whole.
Is there anything akin to a single weapon the Gloguk tries to provide everyone? Like a common rifle or something? Look at the Imperial Guard from 40K for example. Despite the often vast differences between regiments, and cultures and such, they all still use the humble lasgun. Anything similar to that?
I would think that since Fleets might cooperate and merge with each other over time during more longer conquest campaigns, each Fleet would have have ways to standardize and streamline logistics.

I think each Member Race has a set of guidelines and groundwork for the merging of Fleets, and many of the Participant Races under them generally follow such norms. The Varakeef love swarming and shock-and-awe tactics so they probably have the Fleets under them and their Participant races store reliable and cheaply made weapons using the same round that can be easily manufactured on the front lines, only to be pulled out when the individual fleet supplies are thinned. The Steel Scions of Canoipus Mu are very melee-oriented, so they would freely give out clubs and blades to the Participant races such as the Martian humans under them. The Aeiou are very much about diversifying their egg basket so to speak so they don't feel the need to standardize normally, but usually makes sure that the various Fleets under them communicate to each other what the various equipment they have so that when Fleets merge, engineers can quickly devise and adopt weapons that can be used by the new Fleet. The Kuffa-Graffee are more hands on with their Participants' fleet and ferry any materials the Fleets need, no matter the distance; this is because Kuffa-Graffee are more dependent on the Participant races under them for the security of their territories.

If you are Vgar-Ki or under Vgar-Ki protection, you're shit out of luck and there'll be no standardization beyond your regional military, if even that.
-Joseph Campbell

wellis

Post by wellis » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 pm

So are the 40K books giving you any ideas? :)

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:46 pm

I don't even know where to start LOL
-Joseph Campbell

wellis

Post by wellis » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:02 am

So what are you doing now?

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:47 pm

Finishing up Europe (three...more...countries...left) and then figuring whether to write the Tyxans or a major Gloguk race.
-Joseph Campbell

wellis

Post by wellis » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:54 am

I would try the Tyxans. They sound disturbing with all their biological stuff.

wellis

Post by wellis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 am

Been thinking a little on the Greeg Dominants but what if the upper castes of some of the various warbands have things like elegant implants that like project a small shield to wipe away any blood on their body?

Like this:
Peptuck, post: 16933485, member: 29921 wrote:It appears stunned, Saren sent to Shepard, and began assembling a set of omni-cuffs to restrain the human.

Then the front of the Corrupted’s helmet exploded in a spray of white light, flying electronics and armor, and bright red blood. Saren blinked, his face covered in human blood and viscera, and peered down at the ruined mess that was once the creature’s head.

Hm. Implanted explosives, he messaged, while pulsing his kinetic barriers to wipe the blood off his skin - an expensive but quite useful modification. The Ethereals do not want their puppets talking.

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 pm

Personal implanted windshield wipers and other vanity stuff to make them forever FABULOUS.

I love it. Nice idea.
-Joseph Campbell

wellis

Post by wellis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Heretic wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 pm
Personal implanted windshield wipers and other vanity stuff to make them forever FABULOUS.

I love it. Nice idea.
Thanks! I enjoy the idea of the Greegs still being a mix of biological & inorganic tech but it's all polished and pretty and fabulous! You're not going to see drippy organics or grimy inorganics with the Greeg Dominants, no sirree! It's all polished and blingy and ruddy & healthy!

So stuff like crystalline inorganic bits/blingy metal bits & polished, gleaming, pure looking organic bits are what you see with them. Can't let any of their stuff get dirty, heavens no! 😁