Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

High tech intrigue and Cold War
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Re: Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

Post by Mobius 1 »

It was pretty obvious you meant the V-TOL, yeah. :D

At the risk of me starting a RE tirade, it's mostly because the voice actor for RE5 (DC Douglas) turned it what was essentially the hammiest villain ranting of all time - here were the two scenes they took the choreography from. I mean, Wesker isn't much with the plotting and the hamming.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I wonder... Would it make sense for the Warsaw Pact to reform sometime after the troubles of the 2010s to become something more similar to a Warsaw Federation? A kind of federation of communist states that isn't quite so completely dominated by Russia?

It seems a decent thing to strive for, and a pretty logical consequence of the Zhadanova and Kiralova vision.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How far would SICKLE coverage go to these other nations?

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I imagine SICKLE is pretty much everywhere by 2020...
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Idea-dump (I talked with Booted for this before) because I don't want to lose it:

In the wake of the destruction of MIR and the fragmentation of SICKLE's core personality Natasha is brought out suspension in some deep Siberian KGB bunker on Kiralova's personal orders. Her top secret mission: to hunt down the WRAITH operatives and Ultramilitant tech-wizards responsible. What ensues is a relentless pursuit across three continents, pitting arguably the most technologically sophisticated cyborg the USSR produced against some of WRAITH's and the remnants' elite agents as they scramble, in the wake of their defeat in the civil war, to evacuate some of their efforts to remote regions of Central Asia and Africa. But as her mission progresses it becomes increasingly clear that there is more going on. Why are there Star Chamber operatives aiding Ultramilitant remnant leader Rem Lazarev? How are these strange phone calls finding her so quickly anywhere on the globe? And did those orders really come from Kiralova?

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Here's another idea for CSW:Next / South-East Asia:

The Caesium Cats are a group of several dozen international mercenaries operating off a repurposed cargo freighter in the East China Sea / Philippine Sea / South China Sea area. Officially stateless but sanctioned and supported (at times, anyway) by alternatingly the governments of Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines and Indonesia, they make a living by selling their services to the highest bidder. The majority of the Caesium Cats' business comes - directly or indirectly - from the smaller governments in the region and is primarily aimed at curtailing growing Chinese influence in one way or another. Sometimes that means helping smugglers fly their ekranoplans into or out of China; sometimes it means stopping the assassination of anti-communist officials in Taiwan; sometimes it means raiding military bases in the Vietnamese jungle, and sometimes it means thwarting Chinese intelligence from taking over the Hong Kong underworld. These activities have earned them the enmity of the People's Republic, whose security services it is rumored have an entire section of troops dedicated to combating the Cats.

Unfortunately for the Chinese the Cats' trump card is a batch of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries CRATER Mk IV powered mechanical armors "liberated" from the JSDF and maintained by a trio of expert technicians who used to work on TEMPEST suits for the US military before seeking out a more honest line of work. They take their name from the cesium produced by the suits' synthetic plutonium power cores. The Caesium Cats also operate several transport helicopters (some of them armed), speedboats, light vehicles and at least one ancient "mike boat" capable of landing or retrieving a truck.

Personnel-wise the Caesium Cats are a motley crew composed of over a dozen nationalities. They don't have much of a command structure, but their undeniable leader is the piratical ex-Ranger and ex-Reaper Marion Durant, a burly and self-confident American who has proven himself an expert at negotiating contracts and navigating the web of politics, business and crime that threads the region. Through Durant the Cats maintain tight connections to the long-suffering Captain Akio Yoshida of Military Intelligence Command in Japan, and indirectly via the international underworld with elements of the Taiwanese government and military. Durant also has personal ties to the notorious Farley family ever since one of his erstwhile superior officers recommended him and Chaos Farley hired him to help his daughters out of a jam in Cuba.

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Caesium Cats - Dip them in water and watch the explosion?
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I thought this belonged here- China's J-31 FALCON EAGLE.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I see your Falcon Eagle and raise you:

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

now that. That is very zoomy.
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

Yeah, but at least my plane is real.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Power armored Expendables! :P

Cobretti!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

It's kinda silly how you always manage to read my inspirations for characters, Shroom, no matter how I try to hide them :).

Here's some suggestions for what the Space Shuttle might've looked like in CSW:

And the advanced SLEIPNIR variant that Starr managed to crash into some South American jungle:

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Also, my proposal for President Helena Skye:

Off naked Chatham show,
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Siege wrote:Here's some suggestions for what the Space Shuttle might've looked like in CSW:
Even by the standards of NASA concept paintings that is awesome.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Any room for this?

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

If that means Pan-Am survives into the space age, why not :). Booted and I were recently talking about the civilian aspects of life in CSW, and I imagine there's a bunch of civilian space stations by the 2020s, so why not?

Also, look, it's a Shadow Tempest fording a river:

Off naked Chatham show,
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I had been doodling what an older-model ST might look like, and that's kinda close to what I had in mind - a tank-like top and some really sturdy looking legs.
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

OPERATION SANDFIRE (1984, Iran-Iraq Border)

From left to right:

Captain Miller Razard, US Army (1st SFOD-D – “Delta Force”)
Second Lieutenant Tad Teague, US Air Force (7th SOS Advisor)
Agent Chandra Gosely, Central Intelligence (SAD – “The Activity”)
First Lieutenant Ethan Carson, US Marine Corps (FORECON)
Lt. Commander Kailee Kalani, US Navy (BLACKRIVER)

Thunder Over the Horizon – CONSUL ASSASSINATION

Fresh out of a disastrous mission in Costa Rica, Tad Teague is flown across the world to act as a bodyguard for an ambitious young CIA agent – Chandra Gosely – as the unit known as POWER GEAR. He is barely off the plane before being swept along to act as a pilot for an infiltration of an Iranian base just behind enemy lines where Chandra Gosely plans to assassinate the Soviet advisor to the Iranians for the entire region. It is only when a new force enters into the equation that Teague races into the base to save Gosely – and escape before an entire Soviet Spetsnaz contingent descends upon their heads.

[The situation room is chaotic, with aides flitting left and right. LT THADDEUS TEAGUE, dressed in civilian clothes and wearing a metal eyepatch, is sitting on a folding chair in one corner of the room, reading a book and trying to look innocuous. The attempt fails as a redheaded woman wearing a tan suit jacket – AGENT CHANDRA GOSELY – approaches him]

GOSELY: Good book, that. Kipling.

TEAGUE: Ah, well. I was never much of a reader.

GOSELY: Then why pick it up?

TEAGUE: I had a friend who always had it by his side. Gave it to me the day he shipped out, you see. Figured now was as good a time as any to crack it open.

GOSELY: [Laughs easily] You won’t have to wait much longer, Lieutenant. I mean, I hope you weren’t waiting long, the Iraqi major in this area is pretty bullheaded.

TEAGUE: [Closing the book] Though I hafta admit I’m confused as to why I’m even in Iraq, miss…

GOSELY: Chandra, Thaddeus. Thaddeus, Chandra. I never much liked formalities, did you? [Without pausing] Yesterday you’re recouping in Nicaragua, now you’re halfway ‘cross the globe? I remember when that was still a shock to me.

TEAGUE: I mean, I’m not a fool. Judging by how many ‘advisors’ are in this room, we’re full tilt in this shithole, but I don’t see why I’m the man for whatever job you thought I can do for you.

GOSELY: I like that you get to the point, Thaddeus – it’s refreshing.

TEAGUE: I wish I could say the same for you, ma’am.

GOSELY: [Laughs again] Fine then. After what happened back in Central, I know you can see and keep quiet afterwards.

TEAGUE: ‘See,’ being some sort of shorthand for the classified mess that was that mission?

GOSELY: In short, yes. I have free reign in this region, but I need a pilot.

TEAGUE: A bus driver.

GOSELY: Get over it. I might need backup, too, and what with that little soldier of fortune routine you pulled in Central you proved you’re the man I need if things get hairy. You take me to the missions, keep your… eye ope- why the hell are you wearing an eyepatch?

TEAGUE: [Flipping the metal cover up to reveal a perfectly healthy eye] This? It’s an infrared monoeye. We always had problems during night ops because the given equipment was garbage. I was on leave and mentioned it to a friend, who whipped up this patch to help me out. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have made it out of Nicaragua without it. So I didn't lose good men only to dropped off in another hellhole with out a good explanation of what I'm doing here.

Gosely scoffs, clearly unimpressed, but ushers Teague into a makeshift command center. There, she briefs him on the mission they’ll be leaving for in under an hour – an infiltration of an Iranian air base, with the goal of assassinating the Soviet advisor to the region. Without immediate Soviet aid, Gosely hopes to buy time for the retreating Iraqi forces to consolidate and launch a counteroffensive.

The plan hinges upon a stolen Hind D and procured airspace codes that Gosely swears will work. Teague is clearly unimpressed, but agrees to the mission mostly for a little excitement after two weeks in a hospital bed.

The flight in goes smoothly, and Teague touches down on a helipad, keeping the rotors hot as Gosely disembarks, dressed in a KGB uniform and smartly threading her way into the base. Teague observes the entire affair by hooking his eyescreen up to a battery and tracking Gosely’s progress through the stone and brick walls. The soviet consul in alone in his office, and Gosely stops to have a brief conversation with him before poisoning his drink. As the consul sits, drowning on his own vomit, Gosely takes time to search the advisor’s office for intelligence related to whatever ultimate goal she has in the country.

She takes a minute too long, as Teague notices another Hind landing on a pad opposite his and disgorging a squad of Soviet special forces troops – Spetsnaz. Seeing that they’re clearly headed straight toward the office and that Gosely will never make it out in time, Teague makes his decision and leaps out of his helicopter, grenade launcher in hand. Annihilating any possible air pursuit that could hinder his escape, Teague sows chaos on the southern runway, drawing attention away from the facility itself. Kalashnikov now in hand, Teague disembarks the helipad.

Launching a one-man assault on the Iranian air base, Teague plunges into the bowels of the facility, using the close quarters to high effect with a dozen grenades and superior close quarters combat ability. Teague mows through the leading fireteam of Spetsnaz in enough time to rescue Gosely from being a cooling corpse and together they flee the way they came, Gosely’s captured intelligence safely in hand.

With Spetsnaz hot on their tail, Teague makes into his helicopter in enough time to use the aircraft’s chaingun to make mincemeat of his pursuit. It is only he and Gosely are in the air that the fourth fireteam makes it back to their own Hind and takes off in pursuit of Teague. A fearsome cat and mouse game takes place in a smokestacks of a nearby refinery, but Teague ultimately catches the enemy hind under a collapsing tower. Their pursuit quashed, the pair of American agents make an uneventful return to Iraqi territory.

Back at the base, Teague is furious with Gosely for nearly jeopardizing the mission – and moreover, keeping information from him. He noticed as well as her that she wasn’t the Spetsnaz’s ultimate target – the Consul was. Gosely calmly explains the rising tensions between the Second Revolutionaries and the Brezhnevian old guard. If either side is moving openly, then things along the border are about to get a lot worse. Teague wants out, but Gosely calls him on the fact that not only was he a machine in combat, but he actually seemed to enjoy the rush of battle. Teague grudgingly agrees but claims it doesn’t change his decision.

Gosely simply smiles and rummages through the stolen suitcase of intelligence to produce the trump card that would ensure Teague’s continued involvement – knowledge of his old friend, who had served with her before being captured a month ago. She withdraws a photo of several prisoners and lays it on the desk. There, Teague can clearly see, bearded and scarred, the scowling face of his friend – one Ethan Carson.

Old Friends – PRISON BREAKOUT

The BLACKBOX is the hellhole that the Soviets drop their most dangerous prisoners into when death is too swift an alternative. With the knowledge gained from the Soviet advisor that Ethan Carson is trapped in its underground cells, and the aid of Pariah, an Iranian spy, Teague launches a two-man infiltration and assault on the last place on earth anyone would willingly walk into. Unfortunately for him, The Mountain, Azdaja – a fearsome Ultranationlist colonel has made it the day of his inspection, and if his personal operative, Zahhak is involved, it’s unclear if Teague will make it out alive or become the BLACKBOX’s newest guest.

By the Trail of Our Dead – HALLOWEEN EPISODE

Strange cases of cannibalism are plaguing the Iraqi troop along the southern front of the war, and with three CIA operatives missing; Gosely dispatches Teague and Carson to rendezvous with Doctor Kaliee Kalani and her protective detail of Delta Force operatives led by Captain Miller Razard deep into the Zagros Mountains to put an end to the threat. What the newly formed team finds in an abandoned Iranian base will leave them scrambling not only to escape with their lives, but to prevent the menace from leaking into the world at large and changing war forever.

Game Changer – SANDFIRE SABOTAGE

With intel gained from the Soviet Advisor, the BLACKBOX, and FIREBASE MIDNIGHT, the team, led by Gosely, launches an attack deep in Iranian territory. Their target: the Soviet-Iranian unmanned weapons platform SANDFIRE, which would permanently shift the paradigm of trench warfare to a rout decidedly in the Iranian’s favor. With the knowledge that the weapons scientist – Doctor Nariam - is ultimately behind FBM and SANDFIRE is the defector from Area 51 Gosely has been secretly chasing the entire war, the team find itself embroiled in the three-way battle between the Ultranationalist forces, led by The Mountain, and the Second Revolutionaries, led by the psychokinetic twins. With the launch of SANDFIRE hours away, the future of the war hangs in the balance.

Six Months of Hell – CIVIL WAR

With the disastrous results of the previous mission and the emergence of a Soviet Civil War, Gosely’s team is trapped behind enemy lines and is faced with a long and treacherous journey back to friendly territory. Deciding to raise all manner of hell on their journey back to what they view as civilization, the team makes itself the target of both Soviet factions. As bodies pile up and the members of POWER GEAR are irrevocably changed, the team decides to take refuge in a ruined city. Holding out in against an Iranian siege for three months is only the beginning of the nightmare, one that ultimately ends with Razard’s team decimated and Teague captured by The Mountain.

The Paragon of All Men – BLACKBOX ESCAPE

In the hands of Azdaja, the Ultranationalist leader in Iran, Tad Teague is broken and reformed – for weeks on end. Suffering from grievous injuries and holding knowledge that could force an end to the secret three-way war, Teague plans his ultimate escape. In his darkest hour, with no help to call on, Teague makes a decision that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

The Places We’re Meant to Die – CAPITAL SIEGE

Betrayal from the United States government. Twin operatives bent on sterilizing a conflict that has gone on for war too long. A madman with in a thumb on the trigger for a nuclear bomb. Everything converges on the city of Basra. Weak, undersupplied, and with one of their own captured, Gosely, Teague, Carson, Pariah, and Razard must infiltrate the urban battleground, do battle with an elite force of SANDFIRE units, all to murder everyone who has stood against them – Zahhak, the Twins, Dr. Nariman, and Azdaja. Everything converges upon the city’s museum, where POWER GEAR faces choices that will end with several of their number dead and the fate of the region on the brink of disaster.

Endtimes – SHADOW TEMPEST ZERO

Fires burn across Basra as the remnants of the Ultranationalist contingent prepares to launch an fake American nuclear missiles at several targets in the Middle East in hopes of igniting a global jihad. Azdaja has only made one mistake – he pissed off POWER GEAR. Azdaja, wounded and alone, can only turn to the SANDFIRE prototype mounting the top-secret technology Nariman stole from Area 51- a rudimentary cloaking device. Plunging into the raging inferno that is the local petrochemical refinery, Azdaja stages a showdown with Teague, Carson, and Razard, winner take all.

Coming Home – CONSEQUENCES

The war never ended, but nobody told POWER GEAR that. Home in a country that will never know their sacrifices for a war that never needed to be fought, all that remains are loose ends – abandoned loved ones, revenge long earned, and prospects for the new future. As Teague visits a backyard of a suburban home in Hawaii, Carson and Razard lay the seeds for what will eventually become the cabal known as MIDNIGHT, in an attempt to make all of the death worth something for the next generation.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Prequel story, outline? Or CSW: the tactical espionage action game outline? :P
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Sounds good, although technically there weren't ultranationalists yet in '84. The seeds of that faction form after the coup attempt, and is only formalized as a movement after Zhadanova retires. She was a strict isolationist and wouldn't have put up with expansionist bollocks. Mind, this is only 8 years after she took office. The Union is most likely still undergoing restructuring on a silly scale. Considering this, I think you may be slightly overselling Soviet involvement in the Gulf War :).

In other news, my candidate for the replacement of MIR: OPSEK.
Sovcosmos wrote:"The intention is to use OPSEK to assemble components of manned interplanetary spacecraft destined for Mars, the Moon, and possibly Saturn. The returning crew would also recover on the station before landing on Earth. This space station could form part of a deep-space network, supporting manned exploration of the Solar system."

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

The unassumingly named Indirect Taxation Authority is in reality the foremost foreign action and espionage agency of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Because the SFRY is aligned with neither NATO nor the Warsaw Pact its agents abroad are oftentimes faced with adversaries from both blocks in the course of furthering the cause of the Non-Aligned Movement, which itself has its headquarters in Sarajevo. In the second decade of the 21st century, ITA agents have been known to cooperate increasingly more closely with Stateless Society subversives and other radicals refusing to buy into the traditional division of global hegemonic power.

Off naked Chatham show,
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

'There are only two inevitabilities in this world. Death. And taxes.' :v

Incredibly awful one liners aside, why the Indirect Taxation Authority?
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Full disclosure time: it's an existing government organization in Bosnia. When I was over there there was some ado about the amount of money they got and what they did with it (or that's what I took away from what I could understand, anyway). I thought it'd be funny for a big tax organization to be a front for worldwide black ops. That and the wonderfully puzzling (to me) name of the organization itself. Oh, and I've been meaning to elaborate on the SFRY, too, and this was as good a place as any to get a few words in :).

Off naked Chatham show,