Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

High tech intrigue and Cold War
Booted Vulture

Re: Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

Post by Booted Vulture »

Haha. McQ that's awesome. Does Ridley just have thing for surrounding himself with scottish women?

---

The WEU City-state thing is also a cool idea. But how small a state would it be? Literally just the city with no supporting infrastructure like farms or industry? So it'd be entirely supported by donations from member states?

I can imagine that really increase the kind of bitching you get nowadays about EU parliament with the snouts in the trough. 'them their fancy WEU folks importing foie-gras and gravy trains into their big private city with my taxes.'
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Booted Vulture wrote:Haha. McQ that's awesome. Does Ridley just have thing for surrounding himself with scottish women?
It's probably more accurate to say that the old boss maybe had, Ridley just happened to not object to the trend :). I imagine McQ as something along the lines of Angelina Jolie in Sky Captain. Stoic and unflappable. And possibly wearing an eyepatch.
The WEU City-state thing is also a cool idea. But how small a state would it be? Literally just the city with no supporting infrastructure like farms or industry? So it'd be entirely supported by donations from member states?
Well, it'd be more or less exactly the same position as places like Monaco, Liechtenstein or Vatican City: it'd technically be its own country but it would still be part of the WEU and its shared customs zone, so there'd be a free flow of people, goods and information in and out, businesses would operate there and so on. Most of the time you wouldn't really notice that local authorities are under direct control of the Commission instead of a traditional national government. Sort of like how Washington D.C. and the District of Columbia aren't part of a U.S. state.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

SECOND TUNGUSKA!
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

I was a bit hesitant to suggest that the various superpowers (the US, CCCP, WEU, China(?)) all started developing contingency weapon projects against the threat of meteor strikes since that's basically the plot of Ace Combat, but then I realized that said superpowers probably have some along with all the other contingency stuff they already have.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

Soviets are all over lasers aiming at the earth, it's not too much of a stretch to say they can turn them around. CSW has always had a pretty big space presence - I mean, NATO has a space station with starfighters and a few moon bases (and so did the USSR, until Baylor and Kiralova blew up one of them). I'm sure giant rail gun contingency plans exist (and if nothing else are just waiting to be placed on SHADOW TEMPESTS to complete the METAL GEAR imagery).

Hell, the USSR had a giant statue of Lenin that shot a laser out of its outstretched hand. I think they're covered.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

That does give me an idea. I've never been able to take the idea of a mecha-mounted railgun with intercontinental nuclear delivery range seriously even in the context of Metal Gear, but a giant railgun installation that can launch something like a SHADOW TEMPEST for intercontinental distances is a different matter. The SHADOW TEMPEST can also of course rain nuclear warheads with its railgun while on its suborbital flightpath, so you'd end up with a railgun that shoots robots with railguns that shoots nukes.

A bit over the top? But then to paraphase Exalted, you can't have a sworddogfight with an ICBM. You can, however, have considerably more fun trying to shoot down a nuclear re-entry vehicle that is a giant flying robot that can also shoot back with lasers.
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Well, since railguns are an American thing, I'm been wondering if it'd be cool for Amtrak to have a military branch that develops and maintains a small fleet of railgun-toting armored trains housed in reinforced bunkers across the USA. Something along the lines of, a puller and a pusher loc, two cars with the railgun installation, one with the (possibly nuclear) rail-rocket ammo, a command and control car, one full of railway commandos to keep the thing safe, and a car with a self-contained nuclear plant to power everything so it don't need no stinkin' diesel. Add remote-controlled turrets and a ton of armor and you'd pretty much be there.

I don't see why this couldn't have been sold to President Hunter with "... also it could shoot down asteroids!"

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

I'm not sure why I'm not posting this in the news thread, but it's probably because this isn't really "news" and more people read this thread anyway.

Apparently in the real world, the black market currency of choice among the officials and elites of North Korea are bottles of foreign booze and huge hocks of meat:
State-run stores sell imported liquors but interestingly, these liquors are also one of the most common gifts received by government officials. Mr Lee*, a former high-ranking official, explains, “We ended being gifted with so many bottles of imported liquors that we often handed them over cheaply to the hotels. Of course, we could have offered it to state-run stores and restaurants, but it is much easier to deal with hotels in which foreigners frequent, as the atmosphere is more relaxed. And as these hotels can make a good profit even by selling it at cheap prices, they don’t pass up the opportunity.”

...In this way, imported liquor was included in packages full of expensive foreign goods which the North Korean regime gifted to elite officials such as high ranking military personnel, government officials, Central Party directors, Guard Command personnel, and those privileged with a special title of Jupgyunja (‘the one who has encountered [Kim]‘) for having met Kim in person.

On holiday occasions, more than a thousand bottles of imported liquors are gifted to the privileged. Though ordinary North Koreans hope to have just one drink, the privileged elite have come to consider it an uninteresting gift.

Yet there is another perk for them: one bottle goes for around US$100, so these bottles of imported liquor are a convenient form of currency.
...This is why every official or member of the North Korean elite has a special household appliance in their kitchen, which sits next to the fridge. This appliance looks like an industrial fridge, and looks similar to a South Korean kimchi fridge.

Referred to as a ‘geukdonggi’ by North Koreans, this is a type of freezer that can hold goods in bulk. Although there is a freezer compartment in the fridge, North Korean officials also keep a geukdonggi because they need a place in which to keep the various meats and foodstuffs that are offered to them as bribes.

For a meat bribe to count as a bribe, one must offer the minimum of a piglet in the meat’s weight or value. This is why a separate freezer for meats are needed.

The geukdonggi is also referred to as a ‘rich man’s safe’ or a ‘bribe storage box’. Only the rich North Korean may afford a separate household appliance, let alone have enough meat for this to be a worthwhile purchase. Nevertheless, the freezer is viewed as a compulsory purchase for officials and powerful members of the North Korean elite.
-

Coming NEVER
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

I'm not sure why I'm not posting this in the news thread, but it's probably because this isn't really "news" and more people read this thread anyway.
It's cos this thread see like 900% of the board's activity these days.

Anyway apparently korean corruption is the best kind of corruption. I mean... 'here is my special fridge for meat bribes'. Cannot make that up.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Booted Vulture wrote:Anyway apparently korean corruption is the best kind of corruption. I mean... 'here is my special fridge for meat bribes'. Cannot make that up.
Read through the rest of the site. Apparently in North Korea, roads have different lanes for drivers from different social ranks, and the more elite you are the higher your speed limit. You cannot make North Korea up.

What's the DPRK like in CSW anyway?
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

God, that's a really good question. I've been very hesitant to make up shit about Asia because, let's face it, I'm just not that familiar with the region. It's easy enough to come up with crazy Russian cold war stereotypes and give them a twist but doing that with Japan, or Taiwan, China, Korea, etc. always somehow makes me feel really antsy about straying into horribly offensive stereotype categories. Because I get that there are cultural differences between those countries and the Europe I know, but having zero direct experience with those cultures I have absolutely no clue how deep they run, or how to portray them in a way that doesn't smack of lazy Bushido Honour Zen Gaijin Warrior nonsense. I don't know any Koreans, and practically the only thing I know about South Korea is that they love Starcraft. That's really not much to build a futuristic Cold War society on, so I'll take all the help I can get.

Historically (and this is going way back to the days of yore) the situation on the Korean peninsula was way more volatile than it is today, with the DMZ running through a city (forgot the name) that had been effectively fought over permanently ever since the fifties, so it was basically a 60 year on-again-off-again Stalingrad. I'm not sure Arty ever explained how that worked, but the imagery of a completely abandoned city fought over for decades by small groups of increasingly high-tech commando platoons is real vivid and I like it. So that's a thing, maybe.

I can also imagine all kinds of horrible awfulness if a North Korean regime ever got its hands on KGB nanotech. And considering the USSR never fell and the Chinese are more hardliners than they are in our world as well, they probably aren't starving either.

I don't think it's a happy place.

EDIT: Although this unnamed Korean city could make for the sort of place that Beirut was in eighties espionage movies, where all sorts of seedy characters meet to make dubious deals and trade information across ideological lines that Should Not Be Crossed. The sort of place where an Exchange agent would go to buy Stinger missiles from a crooked American colonel to sell them to a WEU contact who wants to supply them to an African proxy to shoot down a Soviet airliner, which then all turns out to be one of Kroner's hilariously convoluted plots to make money on energy futures, or something.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

2016: The newly refitted stealth cruiser Vulcan enters the WEU naval base at Djibouti.

I have a budding idea involving 'hero ships' for the respective navies of the world: ships like the Nikolaev, the Black Hood and the Huron. There'd be at least one for every major navy, and each 'protagonist' would have an 'antagonist' counterpart that could serve as a foil for ships from the other side of the Iron Curtain. So if Nikolaev is the trustworthy comrade then Archangelsk is the girl of dubious political reliability, if Black Hood is a straight chap then Tyrant is a wanker, and if Huron is a fine ship for a fine crew then no doubt there's a carrier out there serving the nefarious purposes of Carson and his buddies, and so on.

Although I'm not sure yet which side Vulcan's on :).

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Was that refit owing to the british trying to blow it up?
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

The gaping holes in the hull didn't help with the stealth bits of its role, so patching that up was definitely involved. Although I also imagine the WEU took the time to beef up its microwave cannons and such.

In similar news:

The Rusalka is a fast stealth frigate designed by Freya Korovin and built in secret by Sudarto Shipbuilding of Indonesia for WRAITH sometime in the first decade of the 21st century. Initially deployed to furtively transport persons and illicit substances between remote bases of the far-flung terror syndicate it was used in the final tumultuous years of Kroner's reign for more direct assaults on high-value targets, again demonstrating the true scale of the threat WRAITH had become.

After Kroner's final death and the splintering of the syndicate the Rusalka was once more appropriated by Korovin, who used it as a pirate mothership from which she ruled a corsair cartel that operated from the coasts of Somalia as far east as Hong Kong and Taiwan -- the largest pirate threat the world had seen since the 17th century and the 'golden age of piracy'.

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Sneaky, does black ops, recently damaged and refitted...that more or less makes the Vulcan WEU's ambiguous cyborg ninja, doesn't it? :P
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

:) Well if you put it that way, yeah.

USS Huron is neither the most fearsome, modern nor capable warship in the US Navy, but if there's one term that fits the ageing destroyer like a T it has to be 'plucky'. As part of the 7th fleet it chased communist missile boats in the Gulf of Oman during Gulf War 3; it shadowed Soviet missile cruisers in the Sea of Okhotsk for operation SHADE BACKER in '03; it took part in clean-up operations around Las Cinco Mujeres in 2005; and it served as a naval staging point for PICKPOCKET in '11. During the Russian Crisis it was docked in Istanbul as part of an unofficial and much-denied taskgroup providing covert assistance to select elements of the Kiralova government, and afterward it was assigned to UNATO's clandestine WRAITH HUNTER strike force in the Red Sea, conducting detached solo operations as far south as Zanzibar.

All of this the Huron and its crew survived, despite numerous close scrapes, with little more than a few scorch marks and bullet holes in its superstructure, thanks to a mixture of guts, quick wits and (admittedly) no small amount of luck. The ship is amongst the most seasoned in the US Navy when it comes to covert naval operations, and therefore one of the first the USN turns to when it finds itself in need of a subtle fix for a quick pickle. Its seasoned and slightly eccentric Captain Dixon 'Danger' Dale has so far managed to skillfully evade Pentagon politics and a long-overdue promotion to a desk job in an admiralty building somewhere, mostly by staying out at sea and out of communications for as long as humanly possible, and preferably slightly longer than that.

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

More CSW-appropriate news:
SEVASTOPOL, March 12 (RIA Novosti) - Three of the Ukrainian navy's “killer” dolphins that swam away from their handlers during training exercises probably left to look for mates, an expert said on Tuesday.

Ukrainian media reported earlier this month that only two of five military-trained dolphins returned to their base in the Crimean port of Sevastopol after a recent exercise.

Ukraine’s Defense Ministry denied the reports, while refusing to confirm the navy makes use of dolphins, despite the frequent appearance in Ukrainian media of photographs of dolphins with military equipment strapped to them.

“Control over dolphins was quite common in the 1980's,” said Yury Plyachenko, a former Soviet naval anti-sabotage officer. “If a male dolphin saw a female dolphin during the mating season, then he would immediately set off after her. But they came back in a week or so.”

Dolphins were trained at Sevastopol for the Soviet Navy as far back as 1973. They were trained to find military equipment such as mines on the seabed, as well as attacking divers and even carrying explosives on their heads to plant on enemy ships.

After the breakup of the USSR and the division of the Black Sea Fleet into Ukrainian and Russian fleets, the dolphin training section and its specialists were handed over to the Ukrainian navy. They were then used for civilian tasks such as working with disabled children, in order to keep the unit intact.

A military source in Sevastopol told RIA Novosti last year that the Ukrainian navy had restarted training dolphins to attack enemy combat swimmers and detect mines. The killer-dolphins would be trained to attack enemy combat swimmers using special knives or pistols fixed to their heads, the source said.
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Arty used to have killer dolphins up in here, although I think they were US, not USSR. I should go find that article. Thanks for reminding me.

On a secondary note, I've an idea for a revolutionary cadre founded by Guevara sometime in the mid sixties. The idea is that they exist independently of any national government and go into areas ripe for revolution and assist the locals with overthrowing the bourgeoisie and all that good stuff. They're much more Marxist than most Communist, not particularly subtle, and they'd pop up in South America and Africa as Che himself did, eventually surfacing in Iran during the Second Gulf War, etc. Mostly stateless, they are insurgents, guerillas, borderline terrorists, political reformers, but also occasionally educators, relief workers and technical advisors to people in less fortunate parts of the world.

They are occasionally affiliated with Cuban intelligence, but their ideological zealotry scares the much more pragmatic Soviets. Its purpose and hierarchy change many times over the decades but it continues to exist and even thrive in the dark areas of the world, the places mostly ignored or forgotten by greater powers, where the battle between capitalism and communism is not yet decided.

Think, like, the Brotherhood of Nod with less Kane and more Che, and less moustache-twirling and more morally ambiguous revolutionary fervor. Namewise I'm kinda stuck on Red Vanguard, but that name is six kinds of cheesy so probably best to replace it with something else.

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Ok on first glance i though Che had founded a revolution cadre of dolpins there.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Yes, "Red Vanguard" seems a bit comicky. As for my suggestions, "Something Something Front" is always a good standby, "Black Banner" is cool but a bit too right-anarchist, something with "Global Liberation" in it fits but might be a bit trite considering the last people to use the name are those al-Qaedaesque goobers from C&C Generals, and "Militaires sans Frontieres" is too much of a straight rip but giving the organization an NGO-ish name might be an interesting spin.

Also this has nothing to do with the Stateless Society thing right?
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

It feeds into it later on, I think. In the beginning they're one of many revolutionary organizations popping out of the woodwork in the sixties, but then they survive a few decades fighting the CIA (thank you Cuban intelligence!) and by the 2020s they're a cell-structured smart mob of hardcore techno-Marxist revolutionaries. Proper scary people, and just the sort of folks you'd turn to if you need, well, whatever an anarchist needs in the crazy future. Get smuggled onto the moon with a hijacked WEU rocket or something.

Off naked Chatham show,
Magister Militum

Post by Magister Militum »

If they're predominately anarchists then perhaps something like the Black Internationale? I guess this depends on how radical they really are. When you say they're radical Marxists, what does that really mean? If they're hardcore Left communists/anarchists then no wonder they freak out the pro-establishment communists, who would much rather maintain the status quo and pay lip service to the stateless communist world that is the theoretical end point of a communist state.

And, Vic, it's interesting you'd say that Black Banner is too right anarchist considering the fact that right anarchists would be the complete opposite of Siege's vision, what with their vehement support of the free market and all.
Democratic Socialist | Atheist | Transhumanist | Bright Green Environmentalist | Worldbuilder | IT Professional |

Germania your game is through, now you're gonna answer to... The Freestates! Fuck Yeah! Now lick my balls and suck on my cock! Freestates, Fuck Yeah! Coming in to save the motherfuckin' day! Rock and roll, fuck yeah! Television, fuck yeah! DVDs, fuck yeah! Militums, fuck yeah! - Shroomy