Terminology of CSW

High tech intrigue and Cold War
Siege
Site Admin

Terminology of CSW

Post by Siege »

Terminology of CSW

AI - Artificial Intelligence. A computer or network-based entity, originally designed to solve complex problems, that has achieved self-awareness.

Air pirate - Perjorative name for fighter pilots, given by ground forces because of a perceived tendency to cause 'blue on blue' shooting incidents.

Above my/your pay grade - Expression denying responsibility or authority (indicating that the issue should be brought to higher-ranking officials).

Ant hill - Combat outpost with a large number of visible radio antennae.

Artifint - see 'A.I.'

Artist - An extremely professional hit-man or ultra-assassin, who usually has a signature.

APC - Acronym for Armored Personnel Carrier.

Augment - See 'cyborg'.

Black ops - Covert operation typically involving activities that are highly clandestine and, often, outside of standard military protocol.

Business, the - Euphemism for the world of international (counter)intelligence agencies.

C4I - Command, Control, Communication, Computers, & Intelligence.

CAS - Close Air Support, aircraft to ground fire in support of nearby friendly troops.

CBRN - Chemical-Biological-Radiological-Nuclear.

Cleaner - An assassin or wetwork team used to eliminate all traces of a mission, including the participants.

Company, the - The Central Intelligence Agency.

ConEurope - Shorthand for ConEurope Technology International, a European conglomerate consisting of a range of military-industrial and high-technology businesses.

CNN effect - Disruption created by extensive, live television presence in a combat zone.

Cyborg - Cybernetic organism (i.e., an organism that has both artificial and natural systems), usually a human being that has been significantly enhanced by internalized technological means. Military forms may have inbuilt weapons. Called 'augments' in the Eastern Block.

DDLS - Digital Decryption Logic Suite, portable computer loaded with advanced code-breaker algorithms. DDL suites are restricted technology.

HELL - High Energy Large Laser, active defence laser system developed by the United States Navy.

Fast mover - Military term describing a fast attack aircraft or bomber.

MAGIC - MArine Ground Insertion Capsule, space-to-ground insertion module deployed by USMC Spacecav.

Metahuman - Catchall term for 'enhanced' individuals including cyborgs, telepaths and those with more esoteric abilities.

MIB - Men In Black, a black ops group of enforcers employed by the CIA. Most of them are ex-military, highly trained, loyal, cold-blooded, mafia-style hitmen, many of whom have undergone extreme mental conditioning. The MIB has infiltrated many government agencies including but not limited to the FBI, DOD, and NSA.

No Such Agency - Backronym for the National Security Agency, so called because of its secretive nature and as a play on words.

NTET - Nonconventional Threat Elimination Taskforce. Independent covert intelligence organization. More commonly referred to as 'Entente'.

R&P - Acronym for Rape and Pillage; to engage in an activity with excessive force or violence.

Ray-Ban - Derogatory term for intelligence operatives, usually CIA or MIB.

Sand - Phonetic pronunciation of the phrase "S-and-D", for 'Search and Destroy'. To sand someone or something is to locate and severely damage them or it. Terms is primarily used by special ops teams.

SIG - Strategic Intervention Groups, catch-all name for several numbered WEU special operations unit.

SIS - Secret Intelligence Service, the official name of MI-6.

Skinsuit - A near-frictionless bodyweave/catsuit, used for manoeuvring through tight places or under hard armor.

SOE - Special Operations Executive, semi-autonomous direct action division of MI-6 which interferes in warzones, potential warzones and other problem areas as a counterpart to CIA wetwork teams. Also known as "the Baker Street Irregulars", "the Prime Minister's Secret Army" or "the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare".

StarForce - NATO strategic command with responsibility for allied orbital operations, equivalent to SACEUR and SACLANT. Lead by the Supreme Allied Commander Space (SACSPACE), a four-star position.

Spacecav - One of the United States Marine Corps's special operations forces that provides rapid orbital insertion capability to the combined combat elements of a Marine Aerospace-Ground Task Force.

Telekine - An individual with psychokinetic abilities (from the Greek "psyche", meaning mind; and "kinesis", meaning motion; literally "movement from the mind"); i.e. the ability to exert direct influence of mind on a physical system in a way that cannot be accounted for by the mediation of physical energy.

USAF - United States Aerospace Force

USN - United States Navy

USMC - United States Marine Corps

WEU - Acronym for Western European Union, an economic, political and military union of 13 member states located in Western Europe.

Wetwork - Euphemism for murder or assassination, alluding to the spilling of blood. Also referred to as a 'wet job'.

WRAITH - Acronym for the special executive for WaRfare And Intelligence TecHnology, a globe-spanning independent terrorist agency headed by Malcolm Stavro Kroner. Responsible for an uncounted number of wars and conflicts, WRAITH sells its services to the highest bidder.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: Terminology of CSW

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

SOE - Special Operations Executive, paramilitary division of MI-6 which interferes in warzones, potential warzones and other problem areas as a counterpart to CIA wetwork teams. Also known as "the Baker Street Irregulars", "the Prime Minister's Secret Army" or "the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare".
Jolly well done, old chap! Those sound like a bunch of outstanding gents, tiff-tiff and hoorah I say! :D

(God the British!)

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

HELL - High Energy Large Laser, active defence laser system developed by the United States Navy.
I read up on the old carrier article a few days ago and wondered if they were still canon, given recent comments that lasers were a soviet thing.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Concerning metahumans, are there Lovecraftian superpower-users in CSW?
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

This should answer your question :).
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!