Jews in SPAAACE! (and other human nations)

Destructionator

Jews in SPAAACE! (and other human nations)

Post by Destructionator »

Just because, even in the 22nd century, its still not nice to fool mother nature and she struck back hard and pwned a lot of n00bs, it doesn't mean a lot of familiar human nations didn't survive or be rebuilt so they still exist in the modern day.

I'm short on time again, but the basic idea here is to list what all human nations survive the bad times (tm) and to discuss some basic stuff about each one.

Some ideas will actually be shamelessly lifted from Marina's Global Peak (such as the idea of Israel still being around; the Mel Brooks reference is just for a lol. She's one of my favorite worldbuilders), but that is just one part of history. I'll need to go into the basic human history again in here as a reference guide.

but g2g bbl
His Certifiable Geniusness, Adam D. Ruppe (My 'verse)
Marle: Lucca! You're amazing!
Lucca: Ain't it the truth! ... Oh, um...I mean...
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Heretic

Re: Jews in SPAAACE! (and other human nations)

Post by Heretic »

JJEEEWWSS INNNN SPPAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEE!!!
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Destructionator

Well, getting this to be somewhat on topic, let me give you a brief outline of human history (from their perspective). Years are in AD:

1963: Alien probes discovery confirmed
1990: Alien ships drop by and say hello
2005: Peak Oil
2020: We ask the aliens for a scientific settlement on their world.
2030: A scientific settlement is expelled from the alien's homeworld.
2036: Independent space launches become affordable again
2053: New space station is built
2057: Weapons in space are out up
2060: Other nations put space weapons up
2062: Talks fail, nukes fly.
2063: Orbital debris problem gets serious; space launch becomes impossible
2067: World War Three ends as no one is capable of continuing it
2083: Did WW3 reverse global warming? Looks like it!
2115: Nuclear power infrastructure is rebuilt in the countries least plastered by WW3. Other ones use what oil they can get, since it is simpler and lacks the omfg nucklar annhilation stigma.
2121: Peak Oil, Mk2, now with less hope!
2130: World economy collapses. Again.
2142: As a desperate measure, one country devotes all its resources to building a huge radio antenna
2145: I hope you didn't forget about global warming? It's baaack!
2147: Antenna build, pleas for help sent.
2165: Alien probe shows up to investigate distress call
2168: Alien starships arrive carrying ENGINEERS FROM SPAAAACE
2176: Orbit cleaned up
2185: ALIENS BLOT OUT THE SUN! ...reversing global warming.
2189: The new age of imperialism begins. Now with aliens.
2200: First space elevator goes online.

Severe thunderstorm here, so I'll submit this for now and come back to finish it later, once I'm not so concerned about the power cutting out. None of the above is set in stone; it will probably need revision as I start to write up the details to make it all work correctly.
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Destructionator

I just wrote this summary on SDN, which is quite relevant to this thread:

My own hardish sci-fi setting includes Peak Oil as a part of it, though it is more of a background fact setting up some events than the main focus of it.

I have Peak Oil hitting twice: the first one in 2005, and then the second one is in late 2000's or very early 2100's, which is far more serious. I'm optimistic about us pulling through the real world peak oil relatively nicely; I do say there is a decade or so of hard times, but mankind is tough; they pull out of it with their brainpower.

Then, some time later, comes World War III, which wrecks huge amounts of infrastructure, and since it was a global thermonuclear war, people started to hate everything related to uranium. They started to rebuild their lost infrastructure, but did so with fossil fuels again! (The primary reason for rebuilding with fossil fuels is that they were cheaper and easier to construct with all the damage, and lots of their infrastructure actually still existed (synthetic oil made in huge quantities meant that oil consumption was still possible) but a renewed anti-nuclear hysteria didn't help anything.)

Oil hasn't magically regenerated since the first Peak; the only reason it is so affordable again this time is demand has been reduced to well below supply. Then, as reconstruction continues, demand once again goes up, and supply has just kept going down. Once again, the price skyrockets, and once again, it hurts the economy all around. But this time, it didn't fix itself. It seemed that human civilization might actually collapse.

Luckily, an alien society decides to step in and help them out, but the cure brings a whole new set of problems, as the surviving human governments work with the alien people to do whatever is necessary to get the world situation back under control, including making offers people can't refuse and saying 'the ends justify the means' more than once.

The bright side is that by 2200, human civilization was back on the rise. Fossil fuel reliance is a thing of the past.

Destructionator

I kinda wanna push WW3 back to 2101. Why?

In AD 2101 war was beginning.
(you know the rest)

It also gives a little more time to set up them the space infrastructure. (Letting me borrow a few tiny elements from "The Humanist Inheritance". Like having the spams paste Brussels and the Yurps retaliate by dropping an asteroid... (though an asteroid drop may give an ice age instead of letting global warming continue like I want))

But a bit too much time to get off oil... (I couldn't have my Peak Oil mk II as easily). Still, I could have some out of oil stuff going on and still incorporate some "Global Peak" elements into the canon, since infrastructure still is fail.

AD 2165 (which is mostly the same as AW 2419) is still when the A'millians show up, since I don't feel like rewriting their timeline. This means the distress call must have been sent around AD 2151. That seems almost reasonable - 50 years after the start of the war, they are desperate enough and sufficiently capable to send that message.

What I do want to see when the A'millians get there is what I've had in mind for a while: infrastructure either wrecked from the war or inoperative from the economy, the global mean temperature continuing to rise messing up farmland (and making it all the more uncomfortable for the A'millian landing party), and enough surviving stuff that they have a hope with the right help.

Global warming would be pretty damn bad by 2100 without mitigation, which isn't hard to handwave since all it requires is human stupidity and shortsightedness to continue a bit. Then WW3 gives a bit of a reprieve, but only for a few years before it starts to get worse again, and mitigation is impossible this time due to collapsed economy.

Hmm. I'm open to any suggestions; this needs much more work.

Destructionator

OK, let's decide on Peak Oil Mk 1. How is it fixed? A combination of two factors: some moving off of oil combustion, but in other parts of the world, replacing drilled oil with synthetic oil in sufficient quantities combined with reducing the demand to bring the price down to a manageable level.

This strikes a blow against the negative effects of PO1 while still allowing PO2 to take place and be brutal. Awesome.

If WW3 starts in AD 2101. Let me rephrase that. If in AD 2101, war was beginning, by then, human population would have also already peaked, and climate change should be reasonably under control. WW3 will reduce both in the short term, but set both back in the long term.

The countries least effected by the hell will be those who have high tech infrastructure of their own; anyone dependent on imports from WW3 annihilated countries (and obviously those pwned countries themselves) are screwed. Let's hit some specifics.

United States

The United States will remain a super power throughout the 21st century, exerting more and more influence as time goes on. It becomes a kind of energy exporter and remains a food exporter. Thanks to continually advancing technology and a greatly expanded nuclear grid, they are able to make a lot of money and grow in global influence. With all this wealth, people even started wanting to visit space, and a civilian space tourism industry started to pick up in the latter half of the century, making America even more powerful.

It looked like the US was unstoppable. This made its collapse all the more crushing for the world economy; they would not, they could not, die alone.

France

France is an island of relative stability among a sea of change. As the US continued to grow and China and India finally recovered from Peak Oil to finish their industrial revolution, France set themselves up to solidify what they had - finish off their nuclear grid, upgrade their infrastructure, and creep toward the future, not looking back.

While many people laughed at the French insistence on taking care of themselves, especially when differing opinions caused them to break off from the EU, it ended up for the best: when most the world's high tech infrastructure was destroyed in WW3 causing the global economy to fail, French self-sufficiency and modern infrastructure kept their country up and running, allowing them to help pick the rest of humanity back up and put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Canada

Canada has had a long and prosperous partnership with their neighbor to the south for a long time, and this would continue right through the 21st century. Over the world longest unmilitarized border went the world's most international trade and people movement, so much that Canada was unofficially and affectionately known as the fifty-first state of the US (or the US is the eleventh province if you are on the other side of the border :P ) for nearly one hundred and fifty years.

But, for all the good it did, this close friendship also had its downsides. When the United States became a prime target in a global thermonuclear war, Canada was also a target.

So it was AD 2103, and I was getting my fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people when all of a sudden my connections started timing out. I was wondering what the fuck was going on, but I couldn't get N&P to load to find out. I was getting pretty pissed off. I finally gave up and checked the Beeb. I felt like an ass - it turns out the cocksucking Yurps pasted Toronto.
- From Destructionator XXI's blog.

However, their ties with the rest of the Commonwealth of Nations gave them needed assistance to at least survive into the 22nd century, where they eventually tried to help pick their old friend, the United States, back up and eventually welcomed its successor into the Commonwealth.

More later. We're finally getting into what this thread is supposed to be about!