(MOAR) Mad Ideas!

Moderators: Shroom Man 777, Ford Prefect

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: (MOAR) Mad Ideas!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Guys stop eyebeaming each other! :(

You know, this is why I rattle my ideas to basically everyone before I even start actually writing them or doing anything about 'em. :P

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Doublepost for funnies:
Shroom City Public Radio wrote:SIEGE: Now, now just a second, Robard. What isn't covered in your
three-step program? What don't you talk about in your Library Of
Congress sized tape cassette library? Whatever we talk about, greed,
goths, depression, changing lives. Who are you? What have you done
that's so great? You wear a cheap suit, your hair is stuck rigid with
spray, you're breath stinks of whisky. Y--you look like you sell drugs
to people. You're a joke, buddy, a bad joke.

FORD: Oh, now this is gettin' personal. I come on your cheap-ass show,
I spare my valuable time, I canceled several important speaking
engagements. I talk to thousand of VIPs in order to spread a message of
hope. And this is how I get treated. I get insulted by a man with
dandruff, I get slandered by a guy who couldn't amuse a birthday party
of 9 year olds, I get attacked by a guy who works on a volunteer radio.

SIEGE: This is not volunteer radio. I earn a salary!

FORD: How much? How much do you earn Chavez? Big man, tough guy with a
microphone and a cheap jacket, and a look that says, "My highest hope in
life is to work in a bookstore." I'm a go-getter. You're a cheapskate.

SIEGE: You're a fraud with nothing to tell people. And no way of
helping people.

ORPH: Excellent. I'm really loving this. I hope one of them gets
killed.

FORD: Shut up, dork!

SHROM: All the bunnies are stabbing each other! :(
Here's an AWESOME idea you can ALL agree on is awesome/terrible.

What if that scientist character Vic proposed, the great Montgommery Strak, ends up in a laboratory accident that turns him into a duck?!

I've got pictures!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Shroomy, give up your nursing career, become a diplomat.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Ford Prefect wrote:My 'point' is that you shouldn't jump in here and get so judgemental over something which you yourself are also guilty of.
Your point, then, is the very definition of the tu quoque logical fallacy. So what if I am? Does that somehow make my point any less valid? All it means is that I should be scrapping my own unfinished/uninteresting work too, and what exactly about my posting history makes you think that I wouldn't? It's not like I haven't done it in the past, as you well know.
Schools of magic have existed for literally as long as the Mary Lamb article has, which is years. When I first posted it, no one expressed any concern over how it was explicitly noted that different groups from different places around the world have their traditions and codified systems of performing magic. It was an element of character article, and that of Daniel Stephensen's (and in his case his search for the secrets of more and more groups is an integral part of his backstory), to which no one raised any objection. Am to assume, therefore, that this is a contentious piece of information?
Even if it wasn't before, it is now. I hate the idea that everything about magic has supposedly been codified and condensed into "schools" and that someone can just somehow master one after the other. It's magic; it does whatever; and even if you could somehow hold in your head different traditions with radically different philosophical underpinnings that might very well be mutually incompatible, people should be coming up with new ways of doing things all the time. It makes no sense that someone should be able to master "all schools" when half of all wizardry is just people experimenting and forging their own way without some school to teach them. The magic of Jurgen Baccara was taught to him by Trismegistos, who was the only guy who did what he did, ever. How is somebody else supposed to learn his secrets when he's gone, and Jurgen isn't telling?

Also: Hermes was never the 'father of magic' as indicated by the fact that all this Atlantis silliness came before him and they had magic going on too.
We all regularly establish parts of this universe without consultation. I mean, did you really discuss the metaphysical balance between Tchernobog and Saint Anthony the Machinist, prior to posting it?
What metaphysical balance? All I've written about them is that they don't get along (which incidentally happened in a story). I have no bloody clue what balance there is between them, or indeed if there is a balance to begin with. Pretty much everything about Chernobog is left up in the air, except the fact that he's some kind of entity that keeps realities from colliding, but even I have no goddamn clue what that means. The existence of Chernobog does not affect anyone's other creations, by the way, which cannot be said of magical hierarchies that presume to be a ranking system of every wizard ever.
It's just logical to assume that some magicians are better than others, and I can't see what's so controversial about looking at the top level magical characters and giving them a name of some kind.
No it's not "just logical": it's in fact like trying to classify a genius jazz pianist and a world-class gardener on the same scale because they both work with their hands.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

In the case of Hermes being the 'father of magic', it's likely that he could be seen that; Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is pre-dated by Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros by about thirty-two years, and yet it's the former who is seen as the father of high fantasy. Similarly, Charles Babbage invented the difference engine in the 19th century, but it was Alan Turing who is considered the father of modern computing.

Just food for thought.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Siege wrote:Do you even know what the Abyss is supposed to be? I'll give you a hint: it's not a place you can just summon stuff from. It doesn't work like that. The Abyss is a non-place, it doesn't actually exist in a physical sense. It's a metaphysical concept, much more of an absence of places which serves to keep actual realities apart. Only a few extremely high-end individuals would have 'access' (for lack of a better word) to it: Chernobog basically becomes it after the demise of the Old Gods, Saint Anthony, himself an anthropomorphic representation of metaphysical concepts like technological progress, can access it, and Hermes Trismegistos (who was basically the first human mage, ever) knew of it and somehow distilled the entity that would become Baccara out of it. He's not so much a guy from a place, he's more like a guy who worries that he might be a golem formed of entirely metaphysical stuff. Either way the Abyss is so far above actual reality it just does not qualify as a place, it's a state of not-being far more than it is an actual dimension.
Just for the record, the idea of Hermes Trismegistos being "the father of magic" came from this post, which was a reply to one of Kamin's forgettable character postings.

Obviously, I prefer Dakarne's explanation because it was established ages and ages ago in Peregrin's creation of the Theozoologist that Atlantis used magic in some form, and Atlantis obviously predated Egyptian civilization. (And I see Siege thinks the same way.) Since I'm actually writing about (a rather magic-heavy) Atlantis right now, I find a compromise in the form of Hermes being "the father of magic as we know it" to be the best one. Unless Siege comes out to say that the above quote isn't the case at all?
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Oh for God's sake, are we now synthesizing canon from throwaway lines written in response to things that have no bearing on the subject at hand? He's not even the father of 'magic as we know it', he's just a guy who could do kooky shit no-one else has ever done since, presumably exceptionally skilled, but it's not like he founded all of magic ever. Christ, I would imagine that's obvious--how is he supposed to be, say, at the origin of South American magic when he's never even ventured anywhere near that continent?
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hey its not leik people independently discover/invent by themselves the same things others did somewhere/sometime else ago, and that certain things can have multiple origins from different places and times rite.

I think if someone finds something disagreeable, then it should be brought up and discussed. We're all bros anyway.
Ford Prefect wrote:Shroomy, give up your nursing career, become a diplomat.
I'd make an awesome Kofi Annan. 8-)

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Comix Baylor should have had a highschool sweetheart named Kaylee something-something, who has green hair and strange meta-powers involving subconscious dreamscaping. While Baylor grows up, plays soldier, and ends up becoming a blood diamond lord of war, this Kaylee chick should totally end up becoming an extractor doing stuff like Inceptioning people.

Malchus. :P

Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

No.[/Jurgen] :P

Seriously, though, I'd rather keep that idea separate. I don't want all my ideas eventually ending up in Comix. It'd feel like I'm just using this place as a creative dumping ground.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Too bad. Go watch the movie, btw.

Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Ah, geez, Shroom. Now that I've seen Inception, I'm actually tempted to take your suggestion. Kaylee dreamscape abilities do resemble that of an Architect, and Tyler's changing of personas in the dream (he can be a kid in one, an adult in another, or even a girl) to match different aspects of his personality would, I guess, make him similar to a Forger -- except the only identity he forges is his own.

Argh, and now I can't stop thinking how I might revamp them into a Comix version. Damn you, Shroom! Damn you and your temptations! Image
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Lol, if the Catholic church had a list of demons and such, Shroom should be on it. The Tempter of Funny Ideas!

Malchus wrote:
Now that I've seen Inception
So how was that movie? I heard it was pretty good and trippy.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The movie was damn good. Compared to Inception, The Dark Knight was an unpolished amateurish attempt at making a good story. Which is quite something, since TDK was really a damn good movie. :)

I've achieved inception on Malchus' mind. Don't go jumping off windows now. :P

SHROOMCEPTION

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

I guess it's time to reveal my totally unauthorized additions to the Stalin Mythos.

MIKHAIL GORBACHEV

Achieving the fullness of his supremacy after defeating Hitler and scattering his vital organs to the nine vectors in the great Battle of Berlin, Iosef Stalin did not find rest. The foul depredations of the Nazi sorceror had brought the Soviet Union to the edge of annihilation, and who knows what threats would threaten the Eternal Soviet in the days to come. But Stalin knew, just as he knew what capitalistic impulses lurked in the hearts of men. Of how the dark and unsettling prophecy came to him, he would not say. Perhaps his mentor Lenin came to him in a dream and pronounced the dire warning, or perhaps one day he deciphered the dire whispers from the severed head of Nikolai Bukharin, which he had preserved for its hateful wisdom. The prophecy spoke of a young man born after the Revolution, a successor of the Supreme Soviet who would end the reign of Communism from within. If the prophesized destroyer could have been eliminated in the womb, Stalin would gladly have ordered the deaths of every firstborn in Russia. But he had received the prophecy too late and the destroyer had already been born more than a decade ago, and the great Soviet Sorceror Supreme feared that the young man had already laid down the foundations of the Union's collapse. In his great concern, in his supreme confidence and in his unthinking determination, Stalin decided that the problem must be confronted at the very root. He threw open the sealed doors of the Chrono-Kremlin and with his own strength set the sacred crystal sarcophagus that was its engine spinning. He would travel back to 1931 and slay the infant Mikhail Gorbachev in his cradle.

Into the snowy streets of Stravopol swept the Soviet Sorceror Supreme, guided unerringly by his Red Sight. Indeed, to him the baby was a nexus of power, historical possibilities expanding and contracting like a halo around his innocent head. He strode into the meager abode and immediately hurled his most potent death-curse at the oblivious infant. But here, Stalin had made a fatal miscalculation. He was the Champion Defender of Communism, but as much as he wished he was not its embodiment - the Power of Communism kept its own counsel, and would choose that position for another*. Similarly, the Power of Communism turned the Wheels of History at its own accord, and not even its Most Supreme Sorceror could halt that force its its tracks. In traveling to the past to undermine the present, in attempting to slay a man the Power of Communism itself has marked as its own, Iosef Stalin violated a cardinal law of Soviet Sorcery - the Law of Historical Inevitability. At the very instant his spell touched the infant Gorbachev, it rebounded and struck the unprepared Premier. It was not enough to slay him - no, in his more paranoid hours he had prepared enough defenses to withstand a full-force assault from even himself, spurred by his experience in battling the mirror magicks of gypsy assassins - but it did wound him gravely in spirit. Shocked and dismayed, the Soviet Sorceror Supreme was forced to retreat to the present. As for Gorbachev himself, he was unharmed except for a cooling scar on his forehead, unwittingly enhancing his connection to the Power of Communism and cementing his destiny as the future leader of the Soviet Union.

The Man Gorbachev grew and entered the Party just as history proscribed, the early episode a dark shadow that haunted his memory and pervaded his ascension through the Party ranks with a sense of eerie premonition. At that time Stalin was gone, and unknown to all but himself it was his failed temporal assassination that weakened him to the point where he could no longer hold off the black whispers of Hitler's shade and the broken line of Romanov Tsars, plunging him into a debilitating madness that led to his final fate. Careless Khrushchev the reformer ruled in his place, but he lacked both his predecessor's iron grip and mastery of Soviet Sorcery to marshal the Supreme Soviet to his goals. Harried from all sides and with the forces of the sinister Brezhnev closing on his well-worn heels, Khrushchev sought at least to deny his successors the absolute power that a Premier could abuse. The keystone to this tyranny was the Field Marshall's Baton, which was once Stalin's personal weapon but retained an enormous reservoir of the Power of Communism for his successors to use as they will. It was the master key to activating the Lenin Engines, among many other things. Gathering what there was of his rough and careless power, Khrushchev laid the baton against an anvil and slammed his shoe - yes, that infamous shoe - into the sacred artifact, destroying the former utterly and dislodging only a single tiny gem from the latter, but the act was done and the baton was incomplete, sundered. Then he removed his other shoe, slipped the errant gem inside and with a mighty hurl cast it into the stream of history, where it would fly forward in time and reveal itself at a point when the Russian people was in need. Then for the remainder of that day, careless Khrushchev's enemies would note with puzzlement that he walked around with no shoes and a wide grin on his face.

Decades passed. Sinister Brezhnev ascended to the Supreme Soviet and passed when his time came. After him went Andropov and Chernenko, old men with short reigns who also met their fates as surely as the Power of Communism turned the Wheels of History. And yet, there was a definite change, a sense of diminishment across the Rodina as though a fog was laid over the glorious age, the age of the Great Patriotic War and the raw fury of Soviet Sorcery unleashed. Sinister Brezhnev had sought stability above all, and though he was denied the power to commission and activate any new Lenin Engines, he enhanced the existing machines to open a bridge to the Infinite Classless Utopia**, drawing the Power of Communism directly into the potency of the Soviet industrial complex, the alertness of her Armed Forces, and not a little into his own virility. With what limited control he had over the Lenin Engines with the damaged Baton, he programmed them to resist the stagnation that crept across the Soviet Union, the historic ebb in Communist power that his finest KGB psycho-prognosticatians had predicted but woefully misinterpreted. Brezhnev had thought of Communism as a resource, one which had just entered peak output and so required a tapping of new sources - but what his efforts accomplished was to tie the fortunes of the Soviet Union directly into this low tide, beyond all hope of gentle extrication. The power that went to the factories was leeched from the fields as the Lenin Engines calculated and compensated in their abstract, inhuman manner, and crops withered and rivers dried even as population growth met projected targets. For the New Soviet Men who labored under the shadow of the humming zeitgeist engines, even the days that passed were stretched dry and brittle as the wingbeats of a mummified fly.

But the Soviet Union continued to stockpile, burning its very future as fuel to match the brilliance of the West. But then, the capitalist West fueled its industries with the fat-oil of the exploited proletariat, raw potential wrung from men by the black mills of their bourgeoisie overseers - what was that to the elegant flywheel charged by history's own momentum? The Soviet Union would rather perish than resort to such methods, proclaimed white-haired Chernenko in his wheelchair. But Mikhail Gorbachev stood behind the Premier as the he made his pronouncement, and he was troubled. To him, the helmsmen of the Rodina had replaced ideal with certitude and mistook stagnation for fortitude. The Soviet Union's strength should not be measured in its Tesla shields and Mercury Rays, but the closeness of its adherence to the inevitable historical progression as foretold by Marx - as long as the latter was achieved, happiness and prosperity should follow. But what the overcharged Lenin Engines had done was to dam History itself, clogging the Soviet Union in silt and jetsam. Even if the masses did not suffer from terrible deprivations and did not mutter their growing discontent; even if the Union was not menaced from without by yet another German madman; even if the Eternal Soviet did succeed to persist in an untouchable perfection of order and rationality, it was still not progressing along the right path.

Mikhail Gorbachev ascended to the leadership of the Rodina just as the first half of the prophecy foretold. He instituted radical reforms of the sort not seen in decades: Glasnost and Perestroika, Demokratizatsiya and Uskoreniye swept like great enchantments over the sinking ship of socialism, pitting a new dynamism against the inertia of the unstoppable Lenin Engines. With such symbols, the Man Gorbachev sought to shake the spirit of the Soviet Union from slumber. However, his allies were few and inexperienced and his untested policies caused great chaos among the entrenched constituents of Soviet society. Even so, Gorbachev's eyes were already upon something even more basic - the Lenin Engines themselves. He pondered the options he had: the Field Marshall's Baton was their master key, but it was well known amongst the upper ranks of the Party that the Baton had been damaged some time during careless Khrushchev's reign and the missing piece has never been found, rendering it useless for this purpose. Direct military attack was unlikely to succeed, as integral to the Lenin Engines' capability was to alter probability to uphold the Soviet Union - and to uphold the Soviet Union meant protecting the Engines themselves from harm, so any conventional attack would be plagued and even crippled by directed misfortune. Furthermore, many in the Politburo would never countenance such an operation, perhaps to the point where they would remove Gorbachev rather than let him carry it out. What could he do?

At that very moment, Khrushchev's shoe flew from the stream of history and struck him full upon the head.

His birthmark burning, Gorbachev instinctively knew that it was no ordinary shoe. Indeed, when he picked it up he instantly saw the tiny object that fell out as what it was - the lost gem of the Field Marshall's Baton. If made whole again, the Baton could easily bring the Lenin Engines to heel. However, actually doing so was still a challenge. The scheme must be carried out covertly to avoid the eyes of the conservatives, and with as few conspirators as possible. After much nerve-wracking consideration, Gorbachev sought out just one, the man he felt he could trust most amidst the Super-heroes of the Soviet Union: Dimitri Zaitsev, The Communist Manifester. In this, he and the Power of Communism chose wisely, for Zaitsev was as to the perfect knight waiting to perform his role in the wounded kingdom, who agreed without hesitation after his Premier made his case to him. With his constructs acting as transport, the two of them launched a lightning assault upon the first of the labyrinthine Lenin Engine facilities. While the Communist Manifester held off the surprised Red Legionnaires which guarded the machine itself, Gorbachev brought out the two fragments of the Field Marshall's Baton and placed the loose gem in its mounting; in his hands, the Baton was once again whole. Marching to the main interface of the Engine while ignoring the feeble protests of the degenerate clan-technicians, he thrust the Baton like a key into the hole designed for this very purpose and murmured arcane codes passed down from Stalin himself. For the first time in decades, the hum of the machine ceased.

In the vicinity of the Lenin Engine, History lurched into motion one more - the resulting chrono-ideological shockwave knocking out everything in the vicinity except Gorbachev and Zaitsev. One was a Soviet Sorcerer of true lineage, the rightful wielder of the Baton Reforged; the other was the very Spectre of Communism itself, and therefore both were beyond the machine's power. The pair then moved on to the next facility, and the next; each receiving scant more warning than the last, each with slightly better prepared defenders than the last. Even the Manifester, hopping from one nexus of Communist power to another, felt himself taxed as he conjured great floating dustpans to sweep away platoons of guards and sent stampedes of cherry-red tractors to demolish hasty barricades. Even Gorbachev, the commander of all Soviet might, was forced to defend himself several times, an action that rankled his gentle soul. Nevertheless, the sheer speed of Gorbachev's operation ultimately left little response possible, and in mere hours every Lenin Engine lay dormant. The Soviet Union was free - free to chart out its own best course in the world, free to grow and change and, as it turned out, free to fall. When drunken Yeltsin came with his tanks, Gorbachev feared that he would demand him hand over the Baton Reforged and, when united with its unbroken power, unleash an unspeakable terror not seen since the days of Stalin; however, Yeltsin was either more wise or more inebriated than Gorbachev had reckoned and did not demand the relic, leaving it in Gorbachev's rightful possession until the end of days. Little did he guess as to the true reason.

It is said that on the day the Soviet Union fell, Ronald von Reagan gazed from the balcony of his castle and wept, for America had no more foes to conquer.***

And on that day the Power of Communism visited Gorbachev, who had watched in horror as his successor ordered everything he labored to save abolished, and marked him, and cast him out, so that his birthmark, once a promise of his greatness, would blaze with unbearable agony if he ever set foot on the Rodina's soil, and laid a curse upon him so that any capitalist who strikes him would have his blow returned sevenfold. Exiled from his beloved homeland, Gorbachev wanders still, the dormant Field-Marshall's Baton tucked within the dusty folds of his traveling suits. At one time one may have found him under the grim shadow of Castle von Reagan, breaking bread and salt and roasted meats with his once-bitter foes; at another time one may have found him trekking across Europe and America in a Volkswagen Beetle with Jimmy Carter, embarking on a quest for peace and reconciliation between superpowers. Today, he no longer asks for forgiveness; those who are willing to give it have long since done so, while those who say he does not need to never needed it. And there are those who he know will never give it.

*Indeed, it is my theory that the Power of Communism chose the Manifester as a reaction to all the abuses Stalin used of it.

**The platonic realm from which the constructs realized by the Power of Communism are summoned - a tiny fraction of the maximized output of the ideal political economy, which Marx and Engels prophesized would descend to earth after the thousand-year tribulation known as the capitalist stage of history.

***When von Reagan weeps, he weeps for all of America.
Last edited by Invictus on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

"Zombie Comix!", anyone?
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

SINISTER BREZHNEV! :lol:

This is wonderful, Vic. I mean, damn, this is actually the first truly concrete written-down piece of the Stalin Mythos in article form, and man, it totally works. I love it! Ridiculous!

Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Invictus, I laughed so hard I cried.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

... you utter madman! :lol:

Invictus, would it weird you out if I said I love you right now?
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Heretic wrote:"Zombie Comix!", anyone?
As an altarnate universe full of zombie heroes and villains? Eh...

But I did have some ideas wherein during the Vietnam War, either through Chinese bioweapons (recovered from the Imperial Japanese WW2 bioweapons program) or through American chemical warfare, a zombie outbreak happens in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle. I call it... CONG OF THE DEAD.

Major Muerte, Alexander Thaddeus, and all sorts of old war veteran characters can be in on it!

Another idea I had was Fidel Castro going to Haiti and teaming up with Major Ulysses Stirling (FROD!) to stop a bunch of Haitian witchdoctors from reviving the dead old dictator Papa Doc Duvalier. The Haitian voodoo secret police, the Tonton Macoutes, raise an army of darkness!

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

As much as I love what Comix has done with Gorbachev, (Von) Reagan, Thatcher and even Tony Blair (Master Herbologist), I nonetheless think we should strive to avoid incorporating too many real-life characters as outrageous pastiches. Haitian voodoo secret police is fine by me, but if they want to reincarnate someone, why not have it be some random voodoo dude from a misty past we can just make up ourselves? That way we can do with him what we want... And I'm also kind of hesitant to take a guy who may have had as many as 30,000 political opponents killed and play him for laughs; it just strikes me as awkward, tasteless and tone-deaf (much like that Master Racer concept).

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, the idea can be revised. The important thing is that there are zombies in it. And voodoo secret police. :)

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

SUDDEN SURPRISE UPDATE FROM BEYOND THE GREAT FIREWALL

I revised the Gorbachev hagiography a bit, since I thought the second half of the original was a bit lackluster. Now it is no longer as lackluster! General improvements have also been made!

Yes I know, I turned Marxist historical theory into pre-millenial dispensationalism. I'm sure I just made Lenin spin a little faster in his crystal casket.
-

Coming NEVER
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

OK this is just a musing I had on the way back from the library, given my record probably one I won't do anything with, but I thought it had unusual potential as a character and world concept.

OK, so the basis for this character stems from a few basic facts.
1) Mogar the Mighty is known to have an interstellar empire, one so vast that it is engaged in a cold war with the Orionian Grays across large swathes of this galactic arm.
2) Whenever Mogar has attacked the Earth he has not invaded at many points with a vast armada of warships, but come personally to fight Earth's mightiest heroes.
This leads to the conclusion that although Mogar almost certainly has vastly superior resources to the Earth, and apparently pursues a confrontation with the Orionians based on conventional warfare, with spaceships and lasers, he does not want to use his advantage against Earth when he could instead come down personally and defeat its champions. That's how he rolls, and he takes his rolling seriously, I remember someone saying he basically ate the rest of his species after defeating them in personal combat.

So if Mogar has taken this attitude towards Earth, why not to another planet?

Now of course Earth has a lot of remarkable superbeings who probably make Mogar see it differently, but the universe is big, there must be somewhere else with a lot of people above the carbon-based average. Maybe the power isn't quite as rampant as on Earth, though. My idea is thus: There's a planet somewhere where the people have some degree of latent superpower, how much I'm not sure, enough to make an interesting fight for Mogar if he fights their best. Being smart people the rulers of this planet have decided that they can use this to their advantage, if in a rather grisly way: They set up a treaty whereby each year they send some of their 'mightiest champions' to go and fight Mogar, whether they are actually the best the planet has to offer is anyone's guess, but I'm betting not, these people are essentially like sacrifices sent to the Minotaur. It keeps Mogar off their back by giving him someone to fight (doesn't hurt that he's more interested in Earth anyway), and that's the aim.

For you see the rulers of this planet are probably keeping their real best fighters in reserve because they are not actually sure whether they want Mogar dead or not. Some of them think they ought to be putting their all into training someone who can kill him and end his reign of terror over the universe. Others are concerned that with Mogar gone his empire will either collapse into anarchy, dangerous, or be taken over by one of his generals, which could be much much more dangerous, especially if he decides that he doesn't have time for the whole 'honourable personal combat to decide the fate of planets' business.

Plus there's internal power politics, all the usual nonsense.

Also I imagined this race being an all-female species that reproduces via parthenogenesis (virgin birth essentially), a race of Space Amazons, if you will! Though in fact the Space Amazons will be part of a special and unfortunate subclass who largely exist to be sacrificial lambs, the people running the show will be Space Bureacrats. This detail doesn't actually make any difference to the main dynamics of the situation but it's how I imagined it going down because I think the idea of an all female parthenogenic race is interesting.

I imagine a character from this planet coming to Earth while she's on the way to fight Mogar, maybe she escapes or maybe her ship is blown off course by the winds of space, who knows. The important thing is she comes to Earth and realises she's basically off the hook, and she can either A) Disappear into the large crowd of aliens, mutants and other unusual people on Earth or B) Find someone who can train her up to go and kick Mogar's cannibalistic green ass clean into Saggitarius A*!(that is the black hole in the middle of the galaxy, right?)
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

You know, this whole Mogar thing has kind of another side to it: if he comes to Earth every X years, and Earth's heroes beat his ass every time he does... Then why haven't Earth's heroes deposed his ass? I get he has a whole fleet and shit to back him up, but it stands to reason that if this is the only place he finds a challenge, and we're the only ones capable of defeating Mogar in person (because he hides behind fleets of warsaucers or whatever in every other case), doesn't it fall to us to off his ass like an al-Qaeda head honcho under the gaze of a Predator drone and rid the galaxy of His Irritatingness? And wouldn't Earth's heroes not doing so be, like, immoral because it allows him to keep tyrannizing entire galactic sectors?

Off naked Chatham show,