The Boy Child (Species II rewrite fic - v.2)

Games and stories.
Somes J

The Boy Child (Species II rewrite fic - v.2)

Post by Somes J »

My ideas on the kind of story I wanted to write evolved as I was writing the story, and I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of stuff locked-in because of the nature of the fanfic writing process, so...

-----

Part I: Little Brother

Sil

It hurts it hurts so much it hurts like when the car hit me and sent me flying and I was lying there hurting it hurts like when they tried to kill me and I couldn’t breathe and I broke the glass I hurt my hand my hand hurt so much nothing ever hurt that much before but I didn’t want to die and I punched the glass as hard as I could and I didn’t care that my hand hurt my hand hurt so much I didn’t let it slow me down I ran.

The world wasn’t big then it was just the little cage and the room and there were rooms outside it and sometimes they’d take me out for they said they were tests, and then I got out and I ran and the world was so big the city was so big and there were so many things I’d just stare at how big the world was and now the world’s getting smaller again it went from the big city the big world to rooms and halls and tunnels and now this place, it’s like the room with the cage it’s just one big space. I don’t want to die here I want to go back up into the big world the air the sky so many things and people. It hurts so much and I have to be strong now they’re coming after me this is a really bad time to be hurting to be weak.

Everything’s hard for me. Being little in the glass cage hurt, getting out of it was scary and hurt, living in the world’s scary and hard and hurts, getting a baby was scary and hard, getting the baby out of me hurts so much. Is it like that for everyone or is it just like that for me?

Hurry up hurry up and be out of me before they get here so the hurting doesn’t slow me down I need to be fast and strong then.

There’s only one way in and out of this place I’m not going to die I can kill them all if I have to they’re weak they’re slow they can’t smell and hear and see as well as me especially in the dark they can’t see in the dark and they almost can’t smell anything, they die easy they hurt easy. I cut off her finger and she screamed into my hand and screamed and screamed and the blood kept coming out I didn’t think she’d scream that much I didn’t think she’s bleed that much it didn’t hurt so much when I did it it hurt but there was just a little pain it wasn’t like this it wasn’t like when the car ran me over it wasn’t like not being able to breathe and breaking my hand breaking the glass. I felt bad watching her hurting and afraid she was nice to me she wanted to help me like the woman on the train like the man with the camera they were nice to me I didn’t want to hurt them, not like the sick one not like the woman in the bathroom at the club they made me mad, the woman on the train and the man with the camera and the woman who’s finger I cut off were nice to me I didn’t want to hurt them but I don’t want to die I don’t want to be hurt they’re not going to kill me they’re not going to take me back to that room and lock me in that little cage again.

Why do they want to do that to me is it cause I’m not like them other women have babies and it’s OK.

Here it comes here it comes it hurts it hurts it hurts its coming out it screams I pull it all the way out of me and pull away the stuff around it and cut the cord and lift it up and smell it. It’s little but it’s strong it smells good and strong it screams loud and wants the air wants to live it’s not hurting it’s a boy. He’ll be strong and smart and won’t be afraid, he’s a good baby.

Here it comes again here comes the other one I push it out and I grab it and pull it out of me and it’s all out of me and I’m not hurting so much anymore it’s over I lift it up I smell it. It’s not as strong it doesn’t scream so loud it’s not as big it’s afraid it’s more afraid of the big world it wants to be close to me more it’s not as good but that’s OK, it’s a boy too he doesn’t smell sick he’s just not as strong as the other one that’s OK.

Maybe with the other one the one that’s strong and smart and not afraid I’d have had two babies that were as good as the first one. Why does he want that woman I’m stronger and better than her he’d have better babies with me than with her, he’s stronger and better than her, I was alone with her and I talked to her I wanted to kill her it was hard not to but I had to not do anything they might notice.

What’ll they be like my babies, it’ll be nice to have someone I can talk to, I tried to talk to the woman who’s finger I cut off but she was too busy being afraid for us to really talk. I’ll talk to my babies about it they won’t be able to answer the things I asked her either, I’ll probably be the ones giving them the answers I can, but it’ll be nice that we can talk and they can know what I’m saying and I can know what they’re saying. It’ll be nice just to have someone like me with me, and I’ll make things easier for them than they were for me, I’ll tell them what’s going to happen when they change before it happens so when it happens they aren’t so scared like I was, and I’ll be there with them when they change and I think that would’ve made me less scared too, and when they come out and they’re grown-up and they want to do things with women like I want to do things with men I’ll do those things with them.

Here they come I can hear them I can smell them.

I’ll be here, I’ll stay close to you, the big one doesn’t need me as much, he’s strong and not afraid, you’re not as strong as him but you’re smart, you know it’s time to be quiet. We should be in different places so it’s harder for them to find all three of us. Here, hide, hide, hide and be quiet, good, good.

Here they come, they’re clumsy they can’t walk around on the rocks very well they need those flashlights to see they can’t walk around very well on the rocks I can climb around on them I’m good at climbing I feel good watching them how clumsy they are I can kill them, I can kill them even though I’m tired from getting the babies out of me.

Big brother

The newborn has no name, it does not know the word I, it does not know any words at all. Its world is as yet very simple. It knows hunger. It eats, holding the big rat in its hand and tearing into it with its teeth. It is very hungry.

It senses the thing trying to get up on its ledge, registers it as another animal, like the rat, but bigger, much bigger. It does not recognize the weapon, but the new animal makes it nervous, it has never seen an animal bigger than a rat except for the things it recognizes as non-threats, this new animal is big, it is the biggest living thing it has ever seen.

It samples its scent. It recognizes sweat, fear.

The big animal makes sounds, scrabbles up the rock some more. It is clumsy. Its face peeks above the ledge and it looks at the newborn.

The newborn studies the creature, evaluating it, sampling its scent. There is a sense of recognition, it knows these things, knows something of their capabilities and their attitudes. It does not question how it knows these things. The thing on the ledge is big, a threat, but clumsy, weak, afraid. And it smells like meat, like food. It would be a lot of food.

A rat scampers across the rock. The newborn lashes out with its long tongue, catches it, pulls it into its mouth.

A threshold is reached, a system deep in the brain decides to commit to aggression, to attack, it sends a signal to the glands to flood the newborn’s body with adrenalin and hormones. A system of small muscles under the skin relaxes in some places, tightens in others, pulling the rest of the musculature and the fat and bones and skin into new shapes. Sharp pieces of the skeleton come out of their hiding places, the crest of spikes first, then real weapons, sharp teeth, claws. Chromatophores change. Protective camouflage falls away and the newborn becomes a spider-like thing of spindly limbs and a broad crowned head, almost beautiful, like something from a Javanese shadow puppet play. The newborn smells the fear of the thing on the ledge increasing as it witnesses this, but the thing does not flee.

The newborn screams, attacks, misses, attacks again. Suddenly it is in agony. It dimly wonders how those slow, weak, soft creatures could hurt it so badly. It collapses to the ground. It is less than ten minutes old. The last moments of its tiny life are spent raging, agonized, terrified.

Sil

… I … I … they … he … they …

You die die die die die die DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

That’s not going to stop me pain’s not going to stop me it didn’t stop me when I had to break the wall of that little cage it’s not going to stop me now I’m going to get to you and you’re going to die and it’s going to hurt and you’ll be afraid…

Insides hurt insides hurt so much water tastes bad full of oil smells bad insides hurt so much blood I can taste blood in my mouth it didn’t hurt this much when the car crashed into me I think they hurt me bad.

You’re not going anywhere. You die die die die die…

He’s pointing a gun at my face. “let go, motherfucker!

You die die die die DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

Little brother

He was not as strong as his brother. That saved him. He had more fear of the awkward things that stank of sweat and fear, and hid in a crack in the rock where they did not see him and endured his hunger while his brother continued to eat rats.

He hears the sounds the hunters make. They seem familiar to him now. They are important somehow, but he does not know how.

“She was half us, half something else. I wonder which was the predator half.”

“The dead half.”

He cannot see them, but he hears their footsteps and their sounds getting farther and farther away down the tunnel. Eventually he peeks out of his hiding place, sees that they are gone, cautiously moves down the slope to the pool.

He calls out for his mother and brother. They do not answer, they do not come. After a while he makes his way down to the pool, where he smells food. There are pieces of meat lying on the rocks and rats eating them. The pieces smell like his mother. It does not occur to him that they are pieces of her. He eats them and he eats some of the rats eating them. He is still very hungry.

He moves out of the cave, into the tunnel that smells of sewage and blood. He finds a human body floating in the water, dead, torn, bloody. He pulls it out. Here is enough food to satisfy his hunger, for now. There is so much meat he can pick and choose, eat only the tastiest, fattiest parts. He eats and eats until he senses another bite will trigger vomiting.

He can hear movement down one end of the tunnel and smells more of the slow, awkward things. He moves in the other direction, follows the smell of fresh air, finds a way to a city street. He waits until nothing is moving and bolts to an open dumpster, jumps into it, covers himself with garbage, and falls asleep.
Participate in my hard SF worldbuilding project: The Known Galaxy. Come to our message board and experience my unique brand of terribleness!

"One is respected and judged only as a human being. It is an appalling experience."
Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness.

"Open your mind and hear what your heart wants to deny."
Samuel Anders, nBSG, Daybreak, Part 2.
Somes J

Re: The Boy Child (Species II rewrite fic - v.2)

Post by Somes J »

Part II: Boy Child

I’m so hungry. I smell food, sweet, a little rotten. I crawl up in and start digging I follow the smell somebody’s thrown away a lot of food sweets there’s fruit and pudding and candy bars and half a pie it’s a little rotten but I can still eat it. I empty out some bags and put the stuff I want in there and carry it out and slip into this little space between the dumpster and the wall.

I’m so hungry it’s like when I was really small before I saw a man throwing food to pigeons and I figured out how to use a little food to bring pigeons into the alley where nobody can see. They’re slow they’re easy to catch for birds. When I figured out how to do that I thought I wouldn’t be that hungry again but I’m so hungry now I don’t have trouble getting food but I can eat and eat and I don’t stop being hungry, I only stop being hungry when my stomach’s so full if I eat more I’ll throw up and then I start being hungry again in a little while anyway.

It was so hot today I’m so thirsty somebody threw away a big bottle of milk it smells a little rotten but it’s OK I drink. There’s nothing left in the bottle I’m still thirsty. There’s a container with some melted ice cream in it I drink that. I’ve never seen a banana before but I know it’s a banana I just know the word sometimes I pick up a word from watching people but mostly I just know words when I was little I started remembering the words.

I eat and eat until I almost want to throw up I feel tired now eating a lot helps me sleep I’m a little scared to sleep I have bad dreams.

I’m running I’m running there’s something behind me I don’t know what it is it’s big it’s black and full of mouths and teeth and things lots of things lots of sharp things I’m running and it’s coming up behind me and I can’t run fast enough and behind me everything’s full of it everything’s full of mouths and sharp teeth and sharp things.

I’m not running I’m lying down I’m squeezed in I’m lying down and my heart’s beating really fast and I’m breathing fast I open my eyes I was dreaming. I didn’t have that dream before usually I dream about black water and things in black water things I guess a little like fish they swim but they’re not fish.

I’m hungry again I eat some chocolate pudding it makes me feel good chocolate makes me feel good sweets make me feel good they’re sweet and I feel good when I eat them I feel like nothing’s going to hurt me. I eat I feel like if I eat more I’m going to throw up I’m not hungry anymore.

Something’s happening to my hand I look at it something’s happening to it it hurts it hurts something comes out something red and long and moving and it hurts everywhere now I reach up and touch my face I can feel things moving in my face coming out of my face. It hurts it hurts what’s happening to me I don’t want to die I want it to stop what’s happening I hope it isn’t something bad it hurts it’s got to be something bad.

I’m running I’m running there’s something behind me I don’t know what it is it’s big it’s black and full of mouths and teeth and things lots of things lots of sharp things it’s coming up behind me and I can’t run fast enough I can’t run fast enough I look behind me and there’s nothing but mouths and sharp things and the red things that came out of my skin and things like them but black and I turn around but all I can see is those things I turn around and around and it’s all I can see it caught up with me it ate me.
Participate in my hard SF worldbuilding project: The Known Galaxy. Come to our message board and experience my unique brand of terribleness!

"One is respected and judged only as a human being. It is an appalling experience."

Somes J

Post by Somes J »

Part III: Imago

Waking up

Noisy noisy like my heart beating it’s a noisy place it’s dark can feel the other thing moving pulling pushing sharp its back has sharp things in it but they aren’t hurting me down pulling pushing moving push out push out feels good feels good feels so good nothing ever felt that good

I’ve got to push push my hands out pull it apart there’s light there’s air I want air I’ve got to push myself out I pull myself out my head’s out I want air I pull in air what happened to me I push myself out I pull myself out I’m on the ground I’m sticky what happened to me am I OK? I look down I’m covered in red stuff that’s what’s sticky I’m covered in sticky red stuff I don’t look the same. There’s a mirror I want to see what my face looks like I look in the mirror I don’t look the same I’m covered in red stuff I think I look like a person under the red stuff but I don’t look like I used to.

I lick my arm I can get the red sticky stuff off my skin looks like it did before under it not exactly there’s more hair on my arm now little hairs. I crawl behind the other dumpster and lick the red sticky stuff off. I look different now I’m bigger my arms and legs are longer I have more hair there’s hair like on my head on other parts of me now not like on my head really it’s not that long and it feels a little different. I look in the mirror my face doesn’t look like it used to. I look like the big people on the street I guess I’m grown-up now.

I have to get some clothes there were some clothes in the dumpster yes there are I can wear them. I guess maybe this’ll be the last time I have to get new clothes cause I got too big for the old ones.

I’m hungry I eat more of the food in my bag I’m not hungry anymore I didn’t eat so much I want to throw up and I’m not hungry. Maybe now that I’m grown-up I won’t be so hungry anymore it’ll be like before after I figured out how to catch pigeons but before I started being hungry all the time it’d be nice not to be hungry all the time again.

The picture that says American Apparel feels different it looks the same but now the woman in it she’s standing in a way that says look at my hips I want to touch that part of her. I look at some of the newspapers in the garbage they have pictures of women in their underwear I wonder what they look like without the underwear I want to look at them I want to touch them I want to hold them up against me and feel them I want to touch them I want them to touch me. I wondered what the women looked like without their underwear before but those pictures didn’t make me feel this way I guess it’s cause I’m a grown-up now I wonder why I feel that way now.

Buying a candy bar

I feel like something sweet I can’t find anything sweet I found some money lying on the ground I’m going to buy something sweet I hope it’s enough I’ve never bought anything before I don’t know the prices.

There’s a man and a woman with two children at the front of the line I used to be like those children I used to be small like them smaller than them now I’m big and they’re still small. They’re still small they have to think I’m a grown-up but they have to be older than me I saw them when I was still really little and they were the same way they’re now.

A woman joins the line behind me she’s pregnant I can smell that she’s pregnant her stomach’s big she’s holding it up with her hands like it’s too heavy for her.

I want to have a baby.

The woman in the line ahead of me’s ready to get pregnant but she’s small if I moved a little bit up she could put her head against my body, our heads wouldn’t touch she could stand against my back and I could put my arms around her and push out I’d be having sex with her back I’d have to bend down to touch her hips her genitals. She’s small the woman behind the pregnant woman she’s better she’s big she’s not as tall as me but she’s big she’s strong carrying a baby would be less hard for her, she’s not in a good part of her cycle for getting pregnant I want to have a baby with her she’d be able to carry it better and she’s big and strong she’d have a big strong baby.

They’re playing music I like music it makes me want to move I don’t move cause nobody else moves but I like it music makes me feel good.

My turn the cashier says hello and smiles. I can smell she’s at the best part of her cycle for getting pregnant she’s a little turned on she smells of the fruity-chemical things people put on themselves and food and herself her mouth smells of fish and coffee and chocolate she’s small she’s dark brown she’s got black hair dark eyes her smell says this is the best time to have sex with me to get me pregnant and I want to have sex.

Should I say something I don’t know what to say should I just say it can you have my baby? I see people kissing I want to do that they’re together sometimes they hold hands I don’t know how they decide to be together I don’t know how people get other people to help them have babies.

“That’ll be 99 cents,” she says. I take the money out of my pocket and give it to her I don’t know how much it is. She laughs. “Just one dollar’s good enough,” she says and she takes one of the pieces of paper and puts it in the cash register and takes one of the copper coins out and puts it in the rest and gives it back to me.

“Do you want a bag?” she says. I shake my head. “Will there be anything else?” she says.

Maybe she’s a good person to ask. “Yes. Where can I find a woman?”

Somes J

Post by Somes J »

Part IV: Sick Woman

I think I can drive the car now. I watched her I watched the things she did I know how to drive the car now and I know how to buy gas now.

We drove past a freeway I wonder what’s outside the city. I know the words for things like forest and town and farm and sometimes I see pictures of them I want to see what’s outside the city maybe after I have my baby I can see what’s outside the city. The city’s called Los Angeles it’s called L.A. I know that but most of the time I just think it’s the city.

I wish I could smell her better she’s wearing a lot of perfume and make-up I can’t smell her much through it I can smell she’s sweaty and I can smell she’s at the best part of her cycle for having a baby but I can’t smell her too well. She looks a little like me she’s pink and white but she has eyes like most people and her hair’s brown. She’s not very big I hope it’ll be OK it would’ve been better to have a baby with a big strong woman she’d have a big strong baby there was a big strong woman there but she can’t have a baby something’s stopping her cycle I don’t know what.

“Here we are,” she says and she points to a building and drives into the garage under it. She parks the car and opens the door and gets out and I get out too. It’s not very bright in here and it smells of exhaust. She takes my hand and walks me to an elevator her boots click click click on the ground the heels are really high she wobbles a little when she walks. I’ve never seen those kinds of boots before I went to that place except in pictures they have high heels and they’re black and they’re long they go up to above her knee her skirt’s short.

“So where’re you from?” she says.

I tell her “I’m foreign.”

“Hey, me too,” she says. “I’m from the Midwest.” She giggles. I guess that’s funny but I don’t know why.

I watch her push the button for the elevator that’s easy I’ve never been in an elevator before we go in I watch her push the button that says 1 the door closes I feel I hear the elevator moving the door opens again. She walks me out down the hall I’ve never been in such a small space she walks me to a door it says 1-3 she takes something out of her purse it’s a key she opens the door she walks me in she closes the door she locks the door.

I look around I’ve never been inside somebody’s home I’ve seen them through the windows from the outside but I’ve never been in one.

She turns on some lights she goes over to the blinds she closes the blinds. She undoes the thing that keeps her hair up it falls down she puts the thing that keeps her hair up in her purse and puts it down. She turns around and walks up to me her boots click click click on the floor she stands in front of me. I don’t really know what to do now how to do this I put my arms around her and walk into her lean into her feels good.

“Hey, what’s that?” she says.

I back up a little and look at her.

“That, behind your ear,” she says. She points at it. “It looks like blood or something. Did you get hurt or something?”

I reach up and scratch it. Some comes off on my nail, I look at it, smell it. It’s a little of the sticky red stuff from when I came out of that thing I didn’t get off.

I tell her “No.”

She sniffs a couple of times. “Hey, you wanna take a shower?” she says. She looks like she’s thinking about whether to say something or not. She pulls back and puts her hands over her mouth. “What is that smell it smells like my hoo-ha when I have my period.” I don’t think she wanted me to hear that last part, she said it really quietly and with her hands over her mouth.

She licks her lips, smiles. “Tell you what,” she says. She taps me with one finger. “I could use one too, I’m going to go take one now and you join me.”

She walks off through a door into a room with white walls. I hear water running and a zipper being opened.

There’s a cockroach running across the table. I grab it and eat it.

She’s got some pretty things. Those glass things are pretty. Maybe I’ll watch TV a little, here’s the remote how do I turn it on that doesn’t do anything that doesn’t do anything.

Oh, that was a car crashing on TV I turned on the TV and there was a car crashing on it the sound made me jump. What else is there, that’s funny. I want to see a lot, what else is there, I want to do that so that’s what breasts look like.

The water stops running. “I’m waiting!” she shouts and starts the water running again. I turn off the TV and go over there.

It smells bad in here. There’s bottles of pills on the sink. I don’t know a lot of the words on the labels. What’s antipsychotic medication? What’s schizophrenia?

I open the curtain she’s standing there there’s water running over her so that’s what women look like without their clothes. She turns and stretches and turns around again and moves the handle under the thing where the water comes out she’s moving it from the side with a C on it to the side with a H on it. “It should be nice and warm for you in a minute,” she says. “After all it’s not like you probably give a shit about what I want.” I don’t think she wanted me to hear that last part, she said it much softer. I think people can’t hear as well as me she thinks I can’t hear her when she says things in that quiet voice.

I guess I take my clothes off and put them up on the hooks in the door like she did hers. I do that and I go into the shower. She closes the curtain after me. She stands behind me and lets me have the water.

Having water run over me like this feels good, it’s nicer than cleaning myself with my tongue.

“Isn’t it nice to get the sweat off?” she says. She stretches behind me and says “I feel ten pounds lighter!”

I let the water run over me. She turns it off. “Sorry,” she says. “but I do have a water bill.” She takes a towel and starts to rub it over herself. “I can turn it back on, but I’m going to charge you for it.”

I ask her “When do we make a baby?”

She shrugs, “Whenever you’re ready.”

How do I start guess I’ll do what they did on the TV I walk up to her put my arms around her I bend down to kiss her I can smell her a lot better now that she’s washed all that perfume and make-up off she doesn’t smell turned on there’s…

Something’s wrong with me. I don’t feel right. She doesn’t turn me on I don’t want to touch her I want her to stop touching me.

No, something’s wrong with her. She smells wrong there’s a wrong smell I couldn’t smell it before through all the perfume and the make-up and the sweat something’s wrong with her. Something’s wrong with her there might be something wrong with the baby.

I tell her “I want to go now.”

“What?” she says.

I tell her “I don’t want to make a baby with you, I want to go now.”

She steps away from me and shrugs. “Fine, but you just wasted half an hour of my time, I want to be paid for that.”

I go to my clothes and take the money I’ve got left out of my pocket and give it to her.

She looks at the money and gets a look like that man who takes the garbage out at the market got when he saw me eat a bug once. “Don’t insult me. Four dollars? I mean paid, not fucking sandwich money.”

I tell her “It’s all my money.”

“Give me your credit card,” she says.

I tell her “I don’t have one.”

“Your checkbook then,” she says.

I tell her “I don’t have one.”

“Shit,” she says quietly. “Let me see what’s in your pockets,” she says, louder. She goes over to my clothes and starts looking through them. “There’s nothing in here,” she says. She drops the clothes. She’s really mad.

“You were expecting me to let you fuck me for four dollars?” she shouts.

Maybe I should have asked how much it cost first, but I don’t want people to know I don’t know how much anything costs. At stores I’m OK with just giving them all my money and they pick out how much they want.

She’s holding her head like it hurts. “Fuck I’m so stupid,” she says. “I should always make them show me the money first.” She’s walking to me. I can smell that she’s really mad. “Four dollars?” she says again. “Four dollars! I let you see fucking touch me and all I get for that is four dollars? You, you, you think that’s what I deserve for letting some creepy little fuck like you touch me?” she’s poking her finger into my chest. It hurts. “Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, FUCK YOU!” She lifts up her hand.

She’s going to hurt me.

I grab her arm and move it away from me, I push her away.

She hits the wall. There’s blood on the wall, there’s blood leaking out of her head and out of her mouth and out of her arm I cut her arm open her arm’s hanging funny now.

I started to change when I pushed her my arm changed I can feel the little movements in my face changing back to look like a person.

She’s looking at me she isn’t saying anything but I can see her mouth moving I can read her mouth moving, her mouth moving says it’s not real, it’s not real, it’s your broken head like when the houses tell you to hurt people it’s the disease…

She spits blood and she screams. She screams and screams people are going to hear her.

I grab my clothes and I run. I run to the garage there are people outside I hide in a garbage can.

I hear the elevator there’s the woman who smelled wrong and two other people a man and a woman they’re helping her walk.

“No cops!” the woman says. “Just get her to a hospital!”

“Jesus Christ, it’s like some animal’s been at her!” the man says. “Don’t those cuts look like something clawed her to you? Creepy as fuck shit!”

“Think she’ll be OK?” the woman says.

“How the fuck should I know, do I look like a doctor to you?” the man says. He helps her over to a car, not the one she was driving, a red one, and helps her in. “Let’s go!” They slam the doors on the car and drive out fast.

I put my clothes back on. I wait until I don’t think anybody outside can see the garbage can and I climb out and walk out.

Somes J

Post by Somes J »

Part V: Rosa and Alex

I wonder how I can get somebody to have a baby with me if I don’t have any money maybe I should ask somebody. I’m hungry I want something sweet I don’t have any money now I didn’t pick up the money when I ran out of that woman’s bathroom the woman who smelled wrong maybe I’ll be able to find something sweet.

It hurts it hurts something hit me I’m lying on the ground it hurts a car hit me I wasn’t paying attention and a car hit me it hurts I can’t get up it hurts.

I hear doors opening people are walking toward me I hear one of them go “Oh shit oh shit oh shit!” They’re standing around me they bend down I smell them they’re women one of them’s going “Are you OK?”

It hurts it hurts. I tell her “No.”

One of them goes “Shit, I am fucked! Oh, this is just what I need...”

They’re bending down bending over me. One of them asks “Where’s it hurt?”

I tell her “Sides. Left shoulder.”

One of them the fat dark brown one she reaches down starts pulling me up along it hurts it hurts.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” the pink and white one with brown hair goes, she looks a little like the woman who smelled wrong. “I don’t think you should try to move him!”

“A bit late for that!” the fat one says she’s helping me to the door she’s helping me through the door it hurts it hurts she’s helping me into the back seat it hurts. “I’ll drive him to the hospital.”

They close the doors hard the car starts moving again.

The woman sitting next to me asks me “Does it hurt bad?” She’s small and brown hair black eyes black she’s wearing a white shirt and a black skirt and nylons and high heels. She smells afraid she looks worried.

I tell her “Yes.”

The fat woman goes "Shit!” quietly, she’s the one driving the car.

The woman sitting next to me touches my hand squeezes my hand. She has rough dry fingers a little like the woman at the cash register when I bought the candy bar. She tells me “We get to hospital in ten minutes, think you can hold on ten minutes?”

Hold on to what I guess she means hold on to her hand why do I have to hold on to her hand? I tell her “Yes.”

“You have family, parents, wife, somebody we can call?” the woman sitting next to me asks.

I tell her “No.”

The woman sitting next to me squeezes my hand harder and leans forward and puts her mouth to my ear and tells me quietly “Don’t be scared, we get to hospital in a few minutes, I stay with you.”

She moves back. She tells me “I’m Rosa.” She asks “What’s your name?”

I don’t have a name I’m just me I never had to give somebody a name before. I like Alex Alex sounds good. I tell her “Alex.”