I DID IT!

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Heretic

I DID IT!

Post by Heretic »

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/monke ... typewriter

I DID IT, BITCHES! I FINALLY FINISHED NANOWRIMO.

Even though I am far from done with my novel, for the first time I hit that benchmark.

Now I shall do my victory dance and then weep as I realize I haven't finished the resolutions I made from New Years 2013. Even though it'll be impossible to comment on all threads, I will at least comment on on each user's creation by the end of January.

But for now, PARTY!
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
NoXion

Re: I DID IT!

Post by NoXion »

Well done! How hard was it for you?

I've thought about about giving it a go sometime, but an entire novel in a month seems like a tall order, especially for a lazy, uncreative hack like me. :|

Hopefully this means we'll be seeing a bit more of you in Nova Mundi?
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

The hardest part was trying to keep chugging away even if the desire for procrastination and editing was overwhelming. No matter how lazy, no matter how confident I felt that I could just catch up the next day, I had to continue writing for writing's sake.

Yeah, it requires a ton of dedication that would drive one mad. I'm also sure I can get back to Nova Mundi shortly.
-Joseph Campbell
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Congrats dude. Well done. I've never had a good enough idea. No been able to write consistently huge word counts to consider NaNoWriMo.

I get that you're rightly proud but do you think you could shrink the image in your sig a bit? It's rather huge to be at the bottom of every post.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Yeah will do. Just got overly excited and all.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Hey, congrats. It's always seemed an odd endeavour to me, but I suppose the idea of just keep going and don't bother with the fine-tuning has its merits. I'd try it if I had the time, so good on you for making it happen when you did! :D
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Nice work, man! As someone who has consistently failed to finish any creative endeavour I've ever started, I have great respect for you getting a story of this length finished all the way through, much kudos!
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Is there anywhere we can read it?
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I'm considering editing a little bit and publishing my two free copies of part 1 first before releasing it here, and they will serve as anti-trophies reminding me to always strive for better. This story is a sidestory for an RPGMAKER game me and my sister are making, and that in turn is part of a greater fictional universe we hope to make legit.

I can publish it here since my sister who is also working on this universe allows it, but I warn you that it is unlike anything I published before. I would consider it a rough draft of a rough draft, and it is very redundant and very bland at parts, being almost a Tolkeinesque pastiche with a dark fantasy and light novel/anime feeling to it (we are arguing whether to make the setting more animesque or more conventional western fantasy).

Also, if I do publish it would you guys prefer me to post it all in one day or do so in sections for easier analysis?
-Joseph Campbell
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

If you're hoping to legitimately publish it you might not want to post it at all. There's that whole 'first rights' thing going on.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Booted Vulture wrote:If you're hoping to legitimately publish it you might not want to post it at all. There's that whole 'first rights' thing going on.
That's a good point.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

We're considering going down the road to self-publishing via Createspace, which allows us to retain all but the ISBN number as far as I know. Until we get the fictional universe up and running (if ever) most of the stories will be free.

Besides it's a zero draft so I don't think anything of value would be lost.
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Well you did mention publishing it elsewhere first (for free) didn't you. In that case I guess copyright isn't that big of an issue. Well, at least less so on a low-traffic, google-unfriendly forum like this one.
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I'll totally hush up everything you want. It'll be like it never happened. Like a black hole materialized in here and sucked every word, every letter, every byte away. Like someone went back in a timemachine and killed your parents before they met. Like your story never existed.

... Too far?
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well you did mention publishing it elsewhere first (for free) didn't you. In that case I guess copyright isn't that big of an issue. Well, at least less so on a low-traffic, google-unfriendly forum like this one.
Copyrights is all mine (and my sister), so I can do as I please. #Self-Publishing #FightTheSystem #YOLOSWAG #Duckface
I'll totally hush up everything you want. It'll be like it never happened. Like a black hole materialized in here and sucked every word, every letter, every byte away. Like someone went back in a timemachine and killed your parents before they met. Like your story never existed.

... Too far?
That was both eloquently poetic and absolutely terrifying.

So guys, what do you think, should I show you my abomination?
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I'd love to see it. Of course there's several stories on this forum that I haven't read yet so it may take a while to get 'round to it :).

Off naked Chatham show,