General Info, Q&A, etc.

Moderator: Heretic

wellis

Re: General Info, Q&A, etc.

Post by wellis »

Just read this in a comment on a scifi blog but I think it could fit here:

"It would be interesting to see a really dark MSF setting where militaries have a mobile Soylent Green factories that would process fallen enemy soldiers into food."

"For darker MSF setting a military can shovel into the mobile Soylent Green factories enemy civilian… including women & children.
For even darker MSF a military can use it own soldiers corpses to make Soylent Green rations – saving the military the need to send food and empty body bags to the front and sending back home full body bags…"

I could see some in the Gloguk possibly doing stuff like this?
wellis

Post by wellis »

So I guess you're not interested in the idea eh?
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I swore I posted up the response; this and last week has been pretty lucid with all the test prepping.

I was gonna say though that the various factions do alot of terraforming, and if they don't enslave or subjugate the population, throwing them into a giant blender is probably what happens.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic wrote:I swore I posted up the response; this and last week has been pretty lucid with all the test prepping.

I was gonna say though that the various factions do alot of terraforming, and if they don't enslave or subjugate the population, throwing them into a giant blender is probably what happens.
Freaky!

At first I was thinking the Gloguk would try that with Tyxian stuff but I realized Tyxan biological stuff would probably be dangerous to turn into food. Then it made me think of Gloguk armies taking their own dead and processing them into food or fertilizer or whatever. A way to use the remains and possibly, sold to the public or military, as a way of honoring the dead. Even in death, they help fight against the Tyxans in some way, whether by giving you energy as part of your rations or as a means to help grow food wherever.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

wellis wrote: Freaky!

At first I was thinking the Gloguk would try that with Tyxian stuff but I realized Tyxan biological stuff would probably be dangerous to turn into food. Then it made me think of Gloguk armies taking their own dead and processing them into food or fertilizer or whatever. A way to use the remains and possibly, sold to the public or military, as a way of honoring the dead. Even in death, they help fight against the Tyxans in some way, whether by giving you energy as part of your rations or as a means to help grow food wherever.
Depending on the culture, I can see that. Some human cultures would scoff at the idea of eating their own dead (not that the Gloguk doesn't secretly put corpse starch into the rations in case of emergencies) while others consider it a efficient method of recycling.

Depending on the composition of the Gloguk Galactic Conquest fleet, the defeated inhabitants of a planet may either become second class citizens or outright slaughtered and processed for resources. Earthling cultures with a large Tyxan-human hybrid demographic in their military treat Tyxan natives quite well for an occupying force, whereas Varakeef simply massacre them all, for example. But most times it's a middle ground, where defeated populations are displaced from bountiful lands (alive or dead) and put the survivors to work in heavy mines and industries or otherwise in second rate service jobs with little to no pay.

As for Tyxan biotechnology, some of it can be edible but since all sorts of chemicals and tissues go into the technology especially weapons and armor, it isn't worth the scant and usually bland flesh (flora/fauna alike). That being said, the various chemicals are recycled back into the planet during terraforming process.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

For such a small landmass compared to the United States or Asia, Europe has a whole bunch varying cultures.

This may take a while even with consolidations.
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

Considering the wide variety of aliens in the Gloguk and their militaries, what attempts at standardization do its masters attempt to impose? Because you have to worry about things like logistics and frankly having multiple different types of guns that are reliant upon different types of ammo and such can be logistically challenging.

Is there anything akin to a single weapon the Gloguk tries to provide everyone? Like a common rifle or something? Look at the Imperial Guard from 40K for example. Despite the often vast differences between regiments, and cultures and such, they all still use the humble lasgun. Anything similar to that?
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

wellis wrote:Considering the wide variety of aliens in the Gloguk and their militaries, what attempts at standardization do its masters attempt to impose? Because you have to worry about things like logistics and frankly having multiple different types of guns that are reliant upon different types of ammo and such can be logistically challenging.
There is really no standardization in the Gloguk due to how decentralized Galactic Conquest Fleets are. Gloguk Conquest Fleets are created within a regional area, be it continental or a whole planetary system. Member races usually have more resources and therefore can wage longer campaigns than Participant races, such as humanity. The Gloguk believes that the diversity of the Galactic Conquest Fleets are their main strength. So while individual Fleets may decide to have a standardized service rifle, there is little uniformity in the Gloguk as a whole.
Is there anything akin to a single weapon the Gloguk tries to provide everyone? Like a common rifle or something? Look at the Imperial Guard from 40K for example. Despite the often vast differences between regiments, and cultures and such, they all still use the humble lasgun. Anything similar to that?
I would think that since Fleets might cooperate and merge with each other over time during more longer conquest campaigns, each Fleet would have have ways to standardize and streamline logistics.

I think each Member Race has a set of guidelines and groundwork for the merging of Fleets, and many of the Participant Races under them generally follow such norms. The Varakeef love swarming and shock-and-awe tactics so they probably have the Fleets under them and their Participant races store reliable and cheaply made weapons using the same round that can be easily manufactured on the front lines, only to be pulled out when the individual fleet supplies are thinned. The Steel Scions of Canoipus Mu are very melee-oriented, so they would freely give out clubs and blades to the Participant races such as the Martian humans under them. The Aeiou are very much about diversifying their egg basket so to speak so they don't feel the need to standardize normally, but usually makes sure that the various Fleets under them communicate to each other what the various equipment they have so that when Fleets merge, engineers can quickly devise and adopt weapons that can be used by the new Fleet. The Kuffa-Graffee are more hands on with their Participants' fleet and ferry any materials the Fleets need, no matter the distance; this is because Kuffa-Graffee are more dependent on the Participant races under them for the security of their territories.

If you are Vgar-Ki or under Vgar-Ki protection, you're shit out of luck and there'll be no standardization beyond your regional military, if even that.
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

So are the 40K books giving you any ideas? :)
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I don't even know where to start LOL
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

So what are you doing now?
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Finishing up Europe (three...more...countries...left) and then figuring whether to write the Tyxans or a major Gloguk race.
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

I would try the Tyxans. They sound disturbing with all their biological stuff.
wellis

Post by wellis »

Been thinking a little on the Greeg Dominants but what if the upper castes of some of the various warbands have things like elegant implants that like project a small shield to wipe away any blood on their body?

Like this:
Peptuck, post: 16933485, member: 29921 wrote:It appears stunned, Saren sent to Shepard, and began assembling a set of omni-cuffs to restrain the human.

Then the front of the Corrupted’s helmet exploded in a spray of white light, flying electronics and armor, and bright red blood. Saren blinked, his face covered in human blood and viscera, and peered down at the ruined mess that was once the creature’s head.

Hm. Implanted explosives, he messaged, while pulsing his kinetic barriers to wipe the blood off his skin - an expensive but quite useful modification. The Ethereals do not want their puppets talking.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Personal implanted windshield wipers and other vanity stuff to make them forever FABULOUS.

I love it. Nice idea.
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 pm Personal implanted windshield wipers and other vanity stuff to make them forever FABULOUS.

I love it. Nice idea.
Thanks! I enjoy the idea of the Greegs still being a mix of biological & inorganic tech but it's all polished and pretty and fabulous! You're not going to see drippy organics or grimy inorganics with the Greeg Dominants, no sirree! It's all polished and blingy and ruddy & healthy!

So stuff like crystalline inorganic bits/blingy metal bits & polished, gleaming, pure looking organic bits are what you see with them. Can't let any of their stuff get dirty, heavens no! 😁
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic, since Hardcore Regenesis relies on Jump Rings to go FTL, without anyone really developing an independent jump drive of sorts, I wonder if you might find this guy's homebrew Traveller setting useful, specifically on Jump Gates: https://wizardnebula.blogspot.com/2018/ ... gates.html
This idea for jumpgates is really interesting.

So are longer range jumps here due to more advanced engines on spacecraft, like better reaction maneuver drives?

In addition, how are jumpgates sent to various star systems? Are they sent via ship or something?
Yes; the greater the thrust of a vehicle, represented in game by TL of Maneuver Drives; the more it should cut off time in Jump Space. In this Campaign World, however Tech Levels are a bit jumbled ...

All of the components of a Jump Gate are sent through an existing Jump Gate by the A.I.s ... The technique is, like most A.I. endeavors, a highly guarded secret.
Currently, what is the farthest ships can jump here?

Also hmm, in your setting (since it's an Orbital 2100 fusion), I assume gravitics might be genuinely impossible to achieve or the TL to achieve it here is generally much higher than in the standard Traveller/2D6 Science Fiction setting?
Jump Gates can facilitate Jump-2 at maximum range.

There are two types of artificial Intelligence in this universe. There is the kind we humans can interact with and there is the Super A.I. that has ascended intellectually beyond our current comprehension. The Super A.I.s, while generally behind the scenes, have literally dominated and govern production of ALL human technology. Some fear they control even more than tech.

Shipboard components are created in such a way that humans can operate and basically service them; however understanding exactly how and why they work make duplicating the Tech impossible at this stage of mankind's reasoning. Think of it as owning a Quantum Computer and developing Operating Systems and Programing designed for the use of preschoolers. The preschooler might even know how to perform basic upkeep on the computer, but would be utterly clueless how and why the Q-Computer works. If something really goes wrong or the tech is significantly damaged, there are service droids and A.I. Avatars on board all ships that act as emergency engineers.

That said, the Super A.I.s may have a vested interest in Mankind expanding his reach into the stellar neighborhood, but they really see little need for antigrav or gravitics to do so.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

wellis wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:20 am -snip-
The use of AI in Gate Construction as well as the use of ship engines to determine gate travel time is interesting. I'll be honest though, I chose Jump Gates because I wanted to justify the existence of Starfighter-class ships as a sort of lightweight and versatile Gate Offensive and Defensive tactical asset. Kinda embarassing looking at all this technical discussion and all I wanted to do was have my X-Wings and go "pew pew!" :D
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 am
wellis wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:20 am-snip-
The use of AI in Gate Construction as well as the use of ship engines to determine gate travel time is interesting. I'll be honest though, I chose Jump Gates because I wanted to justify the existence of Starfighter-class ships as a sort of lightweight and versatile Gate Offensive and Defensive tactical asset. Kinda embarassing looking at all this technical discussion and all I wanted to do was have my X-Wings and go "pew pew!" :D
Hah! :D You want something like FTL travel even for ships that wouldn't be able to fit in a jump drive? :D
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

wellis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:15 am
Heretic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 am
wellis wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:20 am-snip-
Hah! :D You want something like FTL travel even for ships that wouldn't be able to fit in a jump drive? :D
That, and to justify the tactical use of small starfighters rather than boring, robo-controlled drones. Starfighters sort of become like gunboats around Jump Gates.
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:44 amThat, and to justify the tactical use of small starfighters rather than boring, robo-controlled drones. Starfighters sort of become like gunboats around Jump Gates.
How big are they here generally?
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

wellis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:59 am
Heretic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:44 amThat, and to justify the tactical use of small starfighters rather than boring, robo-controlled drones. Starfighters sort of become like gunboats around Jump Gates.
Oh gosh, I guess about 20 meters in length to take into account the various internal components, storage for ammunition, cockpit, and engine; About the same size in meters as the Northrop YF-23 "Black Widow II" Jet Fighter prototype or MIG-31 "Foxhound". Here's a Jet Fighter size comparison which has both the YF-23 and MiG-31.

https://migflug.com/jetflights/fighter- ... omparison/
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:12 am
wellis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:59 am
Oh gosh, I guess about 20 meters in length to take into account the various internal components, storage for ammunition, cockpit, and engine; About the same size in meters as the Northrop YF-23 "Black Widow II" Jet Fighter prototype or MIG-31 "Foxhound". Here's a Jet Fighter size comparison which has both the YF-23 and MiG-31.

Now I'm imagining they're like transforming fighters like the Valkyrie Fighters from Macross. :D

...Also now I'm imagining the Tyxians, considering how quite attractive space elf they are (since you said those images I showed fit perfectly), fucking over the Gloguk with the power of deculture and idol singing. :P
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

wellis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 am
Heretic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:12 am
wellis wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:59 amHow big are they here generally?

Now I'm imagining they're like transforming fighters like the Valkyrie Fighters from Macross. :D

...Also now I'm imagining the Tyxians, considering how quite attractive space elf they are (since you said those images I showed fit perfectly), fucking over the Gloguk with the power of deculture and idol singing. :P
Oh geez, that sort of goofiness actually isn't out of place here.
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

I just realized something: with the Tyxan penchant for dropping bioweapons, viruses, bio-engineered creatures, and etc onto targets, even doing things like engineering those Tyxan hybrids, what if humanity never actually saw an actual Tyxan?

Like what if we, as in humans, knew they were "elf-like" only because the Tyxan hybrids had features we considered "elven" in them? Because we never actually once saw Tyxans in the flesh because they just dropped bio-engineered everything on Earth and humanity in general without needing to really risk themselves in personal danger or anything.

Which may mean running into actual Tyxans by humans, even under the Gloguk and with remembering the horrors of what they did, may come as something of a shock to those humans encountering them because maybe they look so friggin attractive or something.

I know they never actually saw the Tyxans, but like what if it's a sheer shock for humans because their deeds were so horrible yet the Tyxans are so space elf babe themselves?

Kind of like how the Greeg Dominants look elegsnt and high tech (and are) for their spacecraft but in reality are like Ork-Dark Eldar in their pillaging and cruelty. The sheer dichotemy you could say.

What got me to think of this idea was The War Against the Chtorr series where an alien invasion is done on Earth via dropping in bio-engineered creatures and plants and such to both kill off humanity and Chtorrform Earth. And the worst part is, no one on Earth really knows if the "Chtorr" are one of the bioengineered things fucking over the Earth or are just waiting for us to be dead before coming in themselves.

Granted here it may be a stretch, after the Gloguk come and start uplifting humanity, but what if even only the Verakeef kind of have only hazy memories of what the Tyxans look like because they left the ancestors of what would become the Tyxans so very long ago, and the rest of the Gloguk kind of don't care if they don't really know what the Tyxans themselves currently look like.