The Ship Yard

Moderators: Shroom Man 777, Ford Prefect

Peregrin

The Ship Yard

Post by Peregrin »

As Malchus suggested, I've just started the thread here. For those uninitiated in shipping... it's short for "relationshipping", as in wanting a specific pair of characters to get together romantically. Preferably the pair should have a portmanteau couple name that sounds cute (eg. Fidel Castro + Orchid Mantis = Fidelis).

And this is a program for families... no, wait, this is a thread for Comix! writers to discuss which characters we would like to see - not necessarily in canon, in case it 1) goes against one or both characters' canon sexual orientation 2) involves incest 3) is just overall unlikely to happen.

I think last time we had such a discussion I suggested Clarisse Lewyn/Mack Hauer. There would just be something so tragically romantic about it. :D

EDIT: Have I mentioned Ms. Silent/Pallas, by the way? I think it would be cute because both are River Tam pastiches with similar haircuts.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: The Ship Yard

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

BACAROSS.

And FIDELIS is gonna be official. Vic seems amiable to it and I have bludgeoned Ford and everyone else to death with it via MSN.

Yes

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

That reminds me that I forgot to make up portmanteau couple names for the two in the OP...

Clarisse/Mack = Clack.
Silent/Pallas = Silas? :P
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

I don't actually see Silas happening beyond Per's fevered imagination, although I admit that I have no real plans with Pallas, who was written as a gift for Orpheus anyway.

Well, I'll propose an alternative: CROWLAS. Can Wayne Banner find it in his BLOOD-filled heart to show some affection for his own daughter, in whom the same BLOOD as his flows in her veins? Oh, the drama!
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Peregrin wrote:Clarisse/Mack = Clack.
And my reply for that as copypasted from OZ was:
Considering how Mack considers anything and anyone government-related to be traitorous alien collaborators/stooges, if he ever finds out who Clarisse is and for whom she works for... Well, the only "clack" that would happen would be the sound of Mack's shotgun as he chambers a round and aims it at Clarisse. =P

As for my own shipping ideas, I have toyed with the idea of Gabe/Pai. Even though there's absolutely no foundation there other than being similar in age. And, as Ford pointed out from OZ, Gabe would propably be completelyt terrorized by Pai. And, of course, there's also Inugami/Aka, provided their murderous common hatred of the Yakuza and unstable psyches can become a foundation for some semblance of a functional relationship.

Finally, I've also thought that the Motley Crew are all bi-curious, leading to situations you'd likely find in yuri fanboy's lemon fic. :P
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hay Mal(a)chus, Ford wants to know if Aryannosaurs can BREED!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Well, Sh(a)room, I always conceptualized the Aryannosaurs as being all male (mostly thanks to their Aryan DNA coming from the avenging Aryan and Theo having a misogynist dick moment). So, no, they don't breed. But the Uprising does "grow" new ones in their high-tech hatcheries, like they do the other dinos.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well, that's a pity. Shroomy and I were discussing a Knights of Cydonia story involving racism, in this case involving a 'teenaged' Aryannosaur attending Cydonia Academy. If all the Aryannosaurs are male, then no child can be produced. I honestly don't see the Uprising growing themselves a kid dinosaur.

And more on topic, if we're going to have a thread which is entirely devoted to shipping (*sigh*), can we at least attempt to treat it with something more than silly author appeal nonsense? If the only reason behind a ship is 'because I think it would be cute', then we really don't need to hear about it. If you're going to present a ship, try and apply some thought to it. There's nothing really wrong with Fidel Castro and Amy Gardener because it's the outgrowth of Shroomy developing a story and a pair of characters. No offense to Malchus, but his example of Gabe and Pai is awful, simply because when it comes down to it, he only came up with the idea because of a trait they both shared (age), without really considering all the other aspects of their characters. Shipping a pair of characters just because they have a couple of similar traits is bankrupt practice, in literary terms. It's the same thing with Baccara and Ross, though Shroomy obviously only does that because he's tired of life and wishes to experience violent murder first hand.

The only people I would 'ship', are Baccara and Susan Nixon. Though this is for good reason, as Siege really was building up a will they won't they relationship between the two. Even without that, they work as a ship because they are close associates and confidants in a secret circle of close friends who deal with unusual business ventures in Crowtalon and abroad. Yeah, the boss and his assistant thing is not really new, but they have an established banter which is amicable and slightly confrontational. It makes sense.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Ford Prefect wrote:Well, that's a pity. Shroomy and I were discussing a Knights of Cydonia story involving racism, in this case involving a 'teenaged' Aryannosaur attending Cydonia Academy. If all the Aryannosaurs are male, then no child can be produced. I honestly don't see the Uprising growing themselves a kid dinosaur.
I assume this would be set after the Dinos are integrated into the UN? If so, then it may work since I was planning on letting the Uprising make "civilian" dinos once they had their own recognized nation in Antarctica. Mostly, these civilian dinos are uplifted (at least, in the case of the theropods) and have very little cybernetics. And some choose to mate the old fashioned way.
Ford Prefect wrote:No offense to Malchus
None taken, as it was more of whimsical musing than any serious pairing suggestion on my part.
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Malchus wrote:I assume this would be set after the Dinos are integrated into the UN? If so, then it may work since I was planning on letting the Uprising make "civilian" dinos once they had their own recognized nation in Antarctica. Mostly, these civilian dinos are uplifted (at least, in the case of the theropods) and have very little cybernetics. And some choose to mate the old fashioned way.
I honestly hadn't given it much thought, given it's a story which is well off into the futre and knowing myself as I do, possibly never to be written. I suppose when you put it like that, it becomes possible again - and more reasonable to end up with a dinosaur attending a human school if they begin to immigrate to other nations. Shroom suggested a 'runaway family' deal, but I can't see them running away and trying to pretend to be a normal family. Even though no one could honestly say where Chasm City is, I would presume the Uprising would be able to find runaways, and probably would (given that Aryannosaurs can blab).
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Vagrant Orpheus

Post by Vagrant Orpheus »

Ford Prefect wrote:Well, that's a pity. Shroomy and I were discussing a Knights of Cydonia story involving racism, in this case involving a 'teenaged' Aryannosaur attending Cydonia Academy. If all the Aryannosaurs are male, then no child can be produced. I honestly don't see the Uprising growing themselves a kid dinosaur.

And more on topic, if we're going to have a thread which is entirely devoted to shipping (*sigh*), can we at least attempt to treat it with something more than silly author appeal nonsense? If the only reason behind a ship is 'because I think it would be cute', then we really don't need to hear about it. If you're going to present a ship, try and apply some thought to it. There's nothing really wrong with Fidel Castro and Amy Gardener because it's the outgrowth of Shroomy developing a story and a pair of characters. No offense to Malchus, but his example of Gabe and Pai is awful, simply because when it comes down to it, he only came up with the idea because of a trait they both shared (age), without really considering all the other aspects of their characters. Shipping a pair of characters just because they have a couple of similar traits is bankrupt practice, in literary terms. It's the same thing with Baccara and Ross, though Shroomy obviously only does that because he's tired of life and wishes to experience violent murder first hand.

The only people I would 'ship', are Baccara and Susan Nixon. Though this is for good reason, as Siege really was building up a will they won't they relationship between the two. Even without that, they work as a ship because they are close associates and confidants in a secret circle of close friends who deal with unusual business ventures in Crowtalon and abroad. Yeah, the boss and his assistant thing is not really new, but they have an established banter which is amicable and slightly confrontational. It makes sense.
Hoenoes! Shipping is SRS BSNSS.

Ford, not everyone takes their literature as seriously as you do, and if they want to have light-hearted discussions about things which, as specified in the OP thread, don't have to be canon at all, I see no reason for that. Hell, I'll ship ridiculous pairs just to annoy you if you're going to be high and mighty about it.
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Look, I've got no problem with light hearted fun*, yet at the same time there really is a difference between 'fun' and 'pointless shipping with no basis in reality'. Years of putting up with shippers in a lot of fandoms coming up with relationship pairings which really did not reflect anything established about a character has tainted the entire process. I'm obviously taking it too seriously, but post after post of random pairings is going to get old really fast. How do you reply to a ship like (sorry Per) 'Ms. Silent and Pallas'? You say 'oh, that doesn't make any sense because Pallas is a rampaging lunatic who doesn't have any social skills at all and Ms. Silent is a borderline autistic introvert who has connected with a total of three people in her entire life, two of whom were her parents'. Nothing really comes out of it except the images of horrific violence giveing Heretic mental scars. There's probably a laugh to be had in silly pairings - I will admit that I get the occasional chuckle out of Baccaross though i swear to god shroom it will never happen.

*This is a lie.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Why can't there be female Aryannosaurs? Come on, the Theozoologist would want to create pure and self-propagating Aryannosaurs that would have a lineage lasting for a thousand years!

He would NOT want them interbreeding with Goddamn Sodomite-Apelings! :lol:

Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Why can't there be female Aryannosaurs? Come on, the Theozoologist would want to create pure and self-propagating Aryannosaurs that would have a lineage lasting for a thousand years!

He would NOT want them interbreeding with Goddamn Sodomite-Apelings! :lol:
Um... so I can make every bit of conversation between Aryannosaurs sound like HoYay innuendo? :P

Seriously, though, it's mostly because the DNA template for the Albertosaurus was also male. Though, maybe Adolph could request the Hatchery Matriarch to make female versions of Aryannosaurs if he wanted to. Though, in the Uprising all "soldiers" don't breed. So, if you really wanna have Aryannosaurs mounting each other you'd have to wait 'til after Saurian Dawn--with the Dinos getting a country courtesy of the UN--when "civilian" versions of Aryannosaurs are gonna be made.

EDIT: Speaking of the Uprising, did ya see the Dino Uprising Demotivator I whipped up in the art thread?
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Hmmmmm. Okay, Silas is pretty damn farfetched but I don't think Clack is that impossible. I can see Clarisse and Mack coming together in a similar way as Fidel Castro and Amy Gardener... though I'll admit it would require a bigger number of contrivances because Mack has a few more screws loose than Fidel. :mrgreen: As for those contrivances, I'm still exactly not to sure which - sure, you could do it in a Stockholm Syndrome way, but I think that's a bit too cliché. Perhaps if Mack somehow saved Clarisse's life, then they could develop strong feelings for each other. :)
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

But Per, you keep forgetting the fact that Mack thinks government = aliens = shoot it dead. Since Clarisse works for a secret government agency, Mack would sooner take her life the save it.

'Sides, knowing Clarisse, she'd most likely marry her job. :P
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I really think Theo would've made female versions of Aryannosaurs. Come on. Just do some Theozoological magic on the dino-chromosomes.

I mean, like Weird, Theo is ALL ABOUT interbreeding. Purchasing North Korean Kung-Fu Hookers to breed with his Otto Skorzeny clones to produce the Scandinasian Master Race, anyone? :mrgreen:

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Malchus wrote:But Per, you keep forgetting the fact that Mack thinks government = aliens = shoot it dead. Since Clarisse works for a secret government agency, Mack would sooner take her life the save it.
Okay, then if Clarisse saved Mack's life. Perhaps the circumstances could lead to Mack at least contemplating a change of mind. He can't be THAT stupid.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Goddamn it. I shall have an Female Aryannosaur in DINO EATER then! Just to SPEIT Malchus!

Also, I am open to any (serious) suggestions as to shipping FIDELIS. SRS BSNSS MANGS!

Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Goddamn it. I shall have an Female Aryannosaur in DINO EATER then! Just to SPEIT Malchus!
KHAAAAAN--er, I mean, SHROOOOOOOMMMM!!! Image

If you're gonna do that, then I'm gonna have Clarisse steal Amy away from Fidel. Out of spite. :twisted:

Because everyone knows that two hot blonde chicks in LesYay > handlebar moustache.

Seriously, though, if you must have a female Aryannosaur, go ahead. It wouldn't be that hard to tweak Aryannosaur/Uprising history to fit it.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It's not hard to retcon since you never mentioned their crew as being all-male.

Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:It's not hard to retcon since you never mentioned their crew as being all-male.
True, I never mentioned it before. However, I do have what I call my Comix Idea Reference Handbook (i.e., a reused old notebook where I list basic bullet points about my musings or current ideas regarding Comix to help me keep them consistent), and I specifically listed "all male" under the Aryannosaurs.
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Malchus wrote:If you're gonna do that, then I'm gonna have Clarisse steal Amy away from Fidel. Out of spite. :twisted:

Because everyone knows that two hot blonde chicks in LesYay > handlebar moustache.
No, no, no, don't use Clarisse. Things like you mentioned are what Infrared is for. :twisted:

At least, that only flies against the canon sexual orientation of ONE character. ;)
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Amy would HAET that and so would Fidel. He'd have to save her from that vampiric bitch and after they shoo Infra away, they can have a weally tender moment wiff wun another ^__^

^_____^

Malchus

Post by Malchus »

I don't know why I didn't think of this before: Hiram/Clarisse (Hirisse? Claram?). Both are in the Miskatonic Area, they're on a first name basis, and both are 31.

Although, on the other hand, Hiram is a huge nerd...