The Blacksuit Organization

Moderators: Shroom Man 777, Ford Prefect

Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

NOTE: Third copypasting from OZC for now.

The Blacksuit Organization was a secret committee of scientists, military leaders, and government officials started by President Harry Truman in the early years of the Cold War, during 1947, in the aftermath of the accidental “shooting down” of a Grey saucer (the saucer actually got severely damaged after bumping at high speed into an experimental military balloon and its crew couldn’t recover altitude in time) over Roswell, New Mexico. Back then, the organization was called Operation Majestic Twelve and its original stated purpose was to investigate the crashed saucer, which turned out to be a science vessel of some sort, and glean as much useful information out of it for the benefit of the USA; much in the same manner as the European powers had reversed engineered some of the technology from the Martian invasion nearly half a century before.

In the next two and a half decades, as the Cold War reached its height, Majestic Twelve evolved into the Blacksuit Organization. It was named so because its agents always wore black suits, with optional black shades and black fedora hats. Back then, it became one of the most powerful agencies in the US government. Over the coming decades, they would recover several bits of useful data from the saucer, reverse-engineering what they could. Some of these technologies found their way into the US military, but most of the more advanced the Blacksuits kept for themselves. Their distinctive Black Helicopters, for instance, were modified and augmented with so much advanced technology that they could outperform any contemporary rotored aircraft of their day.

Another result of the information they retrived from the saucer the Blacksuits came to be aware of an alternate dimension known as the Dreamlands. It was determined that the Greys from that saucer came from the Dreamlands (though, there were other Greys that came from elsewhere) and that portals known as Crosspoints randomly appeared in certain areas and ejected dangerous creatures into the world, and a distressingly large amount of such portals appeared all over the US in certain areas. Some of the dangerous creatures were so large as to constitute a very real threat to US cities. As such, the Blacksuits set about to deal with these Crosspoints and to study the Dreamlands carefully.

Aside from having advanced technology, the Blacksuits also employed people with special powers or abilities. Among these were psychics, metahumans, and even marooned aliens who were convinced that working for the Blacksuits was the best option. It was even rumored that some older heroes were once in the employ of the Blacksuits. Also included were those known as Pointwatchers and Trackers, humans with links to the Dreamlands.

Being an organization born of the Cold War, the Blacksuits were of course very secretive about their operations and about the object of their operations. Using political and governmental power they tried to keep the knowledge of their operations, which sometimes involved rather questionable methods, as low key as possible (a difficult prospect, considering the scope of Blacksuit operations all over the US) by intimidating or disposing of those who knew too much. They also made use of the Hypnotic Memory Wiper, a handheld device with what looked like a satellite dish at one end, that could suppress the memory of those susceptible to hypnosis.

However, this secrecy would prove to be the organization’s downfall. Towards the end of the Cold War, when things were starting to become more open and less secretive, it was decided that making use of alien technology and dealing with transdimentional monsters in the secretive manner of the Blacksuits was counterproductive. A large, more public military organization was reasoned to be more assuring to the public already weary of secretive Cold War paranoia than a shadowy intimidating one. Thus was the rationale for the North American Special Defense Initiative, an organization that would take over much of the function of the Blacksuits and divert from it much of the government funding. This essentially relegated the Blacksuits (whose funding was reduced to a trickle) to jobs that were seen to be too minor for a military organization like the SDI to bother with. While SDI handled the alien incursions and gigantic Kaijus and the larger Shoggoths, the Blackuits would handle the Crosspoints, Dreamlands creatures, and maybe the occasional Grey saucers. Much of the technological data the Blacksuits obtained were also absconded by SDI, including a variant of pocket universe tecnology which was later refined under SDI in conjunction with the Quartermass Experiment.

Now, the Blacksuit Organization is a mere shadow of its former self. In fact, they are essentially useless since SDI handles all the functions that really matter and what they do still handle could be easily handled by superheroes, or even just your standard law enforcement. The only reason why the Blacksuit Organization is still around is because some former agents have become congressmen. These former-Blacksuit congressmen manage to appropriate enough budget to keep the Blacksuit Organization going, though not much more.

True, the Blacksuits do still have advanced technology like Hypnotic Memory Wipers, compressed-space storage units, and the the latest line of Black Helicopters (modified H-53s with wide-angle Hypnotic Memory Wipers, super silent engine and rotor system, active camo paint with a default black color, and a compressed-space cargo area the size of a C-17’s cargo bay). however, they are sorely lacking in funding and manpower. In fact, they have only fifteen BH-53 operating nationwide, and it’s getting harder and harder to keep them flying year after year.

The funding situation has gotten so bad that they don’t send agents out to the field any more. They instead make use of response teams composed of mostly unpaid free agents with special abilities. These free agents are handled by a Blacksuit agent with a cover job in the town or city where the free agents operate. If their area has a high enough concentration of Crosspoints, they may have a Black Helicopter attached to their team. This use of free agents, some often underage, is one of the reasons why the Blacksuits are still secretive about their operations since the public would not take to kindly to a government organization making use of children or teenagers to run around as essentially government-sanctioned vigilantes. Although, some knowledge of their operations has been leaked to the internet, to the great chagrin of many in the organization. There is some evidence, however, that this leak was actually the ploy of some Blacksuits since the knowledge of young free agents doing work for the US government would actually lend less credence to their operations.

This fall from glory has given the Blacksuits a high animosity towards SDI, the organization that has essentially replaced them. In the current directors office is a poster featuring a caricature of an SDI Omega Security Force officer. The caption of this poster reads: SDI is in your turf, stealing your funds!
Last edited by Malchus on Tue May 27, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Re: The Blacksuit Organization

Post by Mobius 1 »

It's rather cool to see a dickish MIB organization kicked to the curb when the metas hit it big in the seventies. Besides, 'Helicopter-mounted wide-angle hypnotic memory erasers" is just winsome.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Moby: I take it you aren't all that familiar with Malchus' stuff. In that case, you better catch up - cause Malchus has a lot of gooood stuff.

But I think there are some odd ends in this though.

One is that with the actual-factual occurrence of The Goddamn War of the Worlds: With the Goddamn Martians From Motherfucking Mars*, I don't think the US guvmint and Truman would be particularly surprised if some alien spaceship crash landed somewhere in Roswell, near Las Vegas - the haven of people with Gambling Problems (like Marge Simpson).

This is a problem I will now point out **

To retcon this, let me suggest that the USA has been worrying about aliens for some time. The Brits, by the Roswell Crash, are well on their way on reverse-engineering efficient Martian Heatrays (I assume they just jurry rigged captured Heatrays for the duration of the World Wars, perhaps maybe creating their own HUEG clunky Brit-Blasters to kill the Goddamn Nazis). The Nazis have their Theozoological shit. The Amerikaners and the Soviet Russians have their Teslas. Technotheocracies, vampire sightings in the mall, the price of tea in China (where EVERYONE knows kung-fu, and where the ChiCom troopers take to the skies). Etcetera etcetera.

By this point, the world is already very weird. A crashed saucer won't be so significant, really. They've got thousands of dead Martians before the onset of 1900 (Nineteen...OH! OH!***).

So I propose that the creation of the Blacksuits wasn't because of a mere saucer. But that that mere saucer was a science vessel - FULL of information, a motherfucking TREASURE TROVE! Like the All Spark and Megatron from Transformers movie, this captured wreckage shall be the progenitor of a whole slew of US technologies! Anti-gravity, perhaps. But, most importantly, compressed-space! C-space! It will take them decades to reverse-engineer that tech to any meaningful degree, but still!

Basically - as the article says - the Blacksuits were founded because of politicians, military leaders, and scientists had an awesome treasure trove of information (and not just some dead aliens). Like, the crashed saucer had schematics, data, information, the corpses of Grey scientists, and a whole slew of stuff. Something that would set it apart from the thousands of dead Martian warmachines that littered the Earth before the 20th century began.

If in the early 1900s, an M1 Abrams (our metaphorical equivalent of a Martian Tripod) fell from the sky, we'd get to learn the secret of HUEG guns and treads and turbine engines and machineguns! But if, in the early 1900s, the Smithsonian fell from the 21st century - imagine what information our ancestors could've had!

Perhaps the crew of that crashed saucer was, like, a friend of that Crazy Grey Scientist Peregrin wrote about - the dude who's on about Elephant Seals. Which is why his ship had lots of data - maybe because he came to Earth to know what an elephant seal REALLY (RLY) looked like (amongst OTHER things). He came to Earth to dispel the bullshit the other Greys were talking about, then he flew into a weather balloon and died like a pussy****. Then the Blacksuits began reading his crap.

Anyway, I'd imagine that with the weird shit all over the world, there would've already been a Blacksuit progenitor. But this discovery would really have given them a kick in the nuts and made them begin their rise to power. Before the Goddamn SDI kicked their asses.

Ronald von Reagan > Harry S. Truman (sorry mang)

Foot(note)s:

*the title of Spielberg and Cruise's movie in OZC

**I leik asterikses

*** It is two-thirty in the AM as I write this

**** Mang! It would be SO AWESOME to write a story about BLACKSUIT BEGINS, the origins of the Blacksuits. Like, a 50s spy thriller. Like the Indiana Jones movie. But we would see an insight of the Grey's POV, in his last moments, internally monologuing about Goddamn Elephant Seals (Eruffantu Silos!) before he goes WTF?! and BANG! Crash landing! Then the Blacksuits would wonder why, amidst the alien corpses, there is a single elephant seal suspended in a stasis field as well....

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

Despite the sheer nuttery coming out of Shroomy's mouth, he's got a point. In general though, the technology and information they find can't be too advanced, because then we wouldn't be able to reverse engineer it. Shroomy gives the example of an Abrams appearing in the 1900s, though I highly doubt that early 20th century earth could begin to replicate the materials required, or the nature of th 120mm cannon.

I still feel sorry for the Blacksuits, if only a little, given that as the article says, much of what they deal with could be satisfactorily handled by local law enforcement, usually. Incidentally, I think we should take this oppurtunity to retcon the knowledge of the existence of the MBART kids; the Blacksuits are strapped for cash and understaffed, but if there's one thing I reckon they would manage, it would be their secrecy. I don't mean in the sense that they're a total ghost organisation, but rather that the chances of your average joe knowing about them and their Free Agents being next to zero.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

I've been meaning to retcon this along all the stuff pointed out as well. However, I haven't done so due to my infinite procrastination.

Still, I will get off my ass and do so. I'll even incorporate some of the suggestions since they help with stuff that I've been having some difficultly retconning.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The M1 is just an analogy of...

Well, you'd learn more from reverse engineering a crashed alien science vessel with a library of alien science textbooks, than from reverse engineering a mere war machine.

Kinda like what happened in Army of Darkness, with Ash's Oldsmobile and his robot arm.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

That's what I meant. I was having trouble justifying how an organization could spring up from one crashed saucer, and having it as a science vessel never entered my mind for some reason. :oops: Despite the fact that it makes perfect sense.

Then again, Greys in general make little sense so maybe that's why I never thought of it*

*An obvious excuse for my moment of premature senility. :P
Malchus

Post by Malchus »

Alright, I did some preliminary editing on the Blacksuits. I changed the reason for their secrecy because of their questionable methods rather than trying to keep knowledge about aliens and stuff secret. As well as incorporated Shroom's Grey science vessel suggestion.