Active Members of the Winter Corps

Moderators: Shroom Man 777, Ford Prefect

Mobius 1
Global Mod

Re: Active Members of the Winter Corps

Post by Mobius 1 »

He joined at age fifteen and made lieutenant at seventeen?
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

He enlisted as a captain at eighteen and was promoted to lieutenant two years later?

You didn't make it better. You didn't make it better at all.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I didn't know how one could edit an article to make it worse. But now I do.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

The numbers certainly don't crunch particularly well.

If I may make a suggestion, Kamin; if this guy is the embodiment of the Russian winter and is if not immortal then at least super-preserved by the fact, it might make more sense to have him be 'frozen' into this state not as a young man but as an already aged soldier, a veteran of World War One and the Revolution. I don't know if it's likely that a soldier could survive in Stalin's army for that long, in fact it's probably terrifyingly unlikely, but then what better candidate for the very avatar of Russia's defiance than someone who has defended the Motherland against all threats for so many years?
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:If I may make a suggestion, Kamin; if this guy is the embodiment of the Russian winter and is if not immortal then at least super-preserved by the fact, it might make more sense to have him be 'frozen' into this state not as a young man but as an already aged soldier, a veteran of World War One and the Revolution. I don't know if it's likely that a soldier could survive in Stalin's army for that long, in fact it's probably terrifyingly unlikely, but then what better candidate for the very avatar of Russia's defiance than someone who has defended the Motherland against all threats for so many years?
Exactly. In fact, that very thought led me to create Makar Igorov, cynical warlock and Tsarist veteran, as one of the senior members of the Winter Corps for my story. For a special corps of special ability people, there should at least be a core of experienced veterans to form a solid core around which the rest of the organization is built. Superpowerful young people are nice, but they'd be inexperienced. Inexperienced leadership is often poor leadership save for the rare few who learn enough, fast enough to become competent. But that's not good enough for a special force of specially powerful supersoldier--you need someone who can reign them in, so he has to already have the cold, hard experience of being an effective leader under his belt.

As for surviving in Stalin's Army, well, Stalin while known for being execution-happy was known to keep a few people alive in the gulag if he thought they could be potentially useful fr something later. Some Soviet military leaders during WW2 were put in the gulag before the outbreak of the war, and released when it was thought they could be useful and that they'd fight the Germans because they can't abide by foreign invasion as much as the next guy. That's one of the background details for my own Makar character--he was kept alive because he was an old, experienced magician of great ability who could be potentially useful. Stalin let him serve in the Winter Corps during the Great Patriotic War, albeit under a leash, because his abilities could be useful and because Stalin knows Makar is too enamoured with Russia (his idea of the proper, Tsarist Russian Empire, of course) to go over to the Germans and will fight to keep them out even if he might despise the Soviet Union.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:The numbers certainly don't crunch particularly well.

If I may make a suggestion, Kamin; if this guy is the embodiment of the Russian winter and is if not immortal then at least super-preserved by the fact, it might make more sense to have him be 'frozen' into this state not as a young man but as an already aged soldier, a veteran of World War One and the Revolution. I don't know if it's likely that a soldier could survive in Stalin's army for that long, in fact it's probably terrifyingly unlikely, but then what better candidate for the very avatar of Russia's defiance than someone who has defended the Motherland against all threats for so many years?
That's a cool idea, I'll revise it with that idea in mind.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.