Huarr

Heretic

Huarr

Post by Heretic »

Author's note: I understand this article will probably have some scientific errors and such, so please report them here if you find any, and it would be helpful for some suggestions on alternatives to the said problem. Thank you.

A huge Earth-like water world with a fast orbit around its young star, Huarr is home to two different sentient species, one the crude Xeno-Chimps (in their own language, they call themselves [Two low growls, followed quickly by a single hoot]), and the Duban, an ancient civilization of aquatic humanoids. 80% of Huarr is ocean, with vast underwater canyons and mountains that hold many secrets that are yet discovered, with a single continent taking up the remaining 20%. This continent, the Slope, is named as it is because on top are huge snow mountains, slowly going down into a hilly forest side, before going into the warm tropical grasslands where the Xeno-Chimps live. There is only one twin graveddie(s), being that the star is relatively new, but this to a small graveddie island, both standard and inert. This makes Huarr a good defensive planet, being that there is only one fast way to get there, and a good offensive position, as anyone stationed at Huarr can send multiple fleets to galaxy's ends at the same time.

Xeno-Chimps

History
Scientifically named Xeno-Pan Troglodytes, these stranded, offshoot chimps are located in the only continent in Huaar. The majority of these sentient apes live in the warm, forested plain down south. Hundreds of years ago, a human freighter carrying the ancestors of the Xeno-Chimps crashed into the then-unknown planet of Huarr. The human personals instantly died, but the monkeys, caged inside protective cages, survived. A Duban scout ship discovered the find, and finding them amusing, set them free into the wild. These chimps were special, as they were a test subjects for a private lab experiment which involved increasing the primates' neurological connections over generations. The first batch mated and died at an early age, showing no evolutionary progress, and the first few generations were the same. But gradually, the chimpanzees' brain started getting complex with selective mating, experience of the species as a whole, and their stimuli to the environment, as well as the man-engineered process. Soon, these monkeys became comparable to humans in intelligence. When these Xeno-Chimps became more sentient and organized, the Duban didn't think much of it, as the galaxy became more hostile and shattered into many alliances. But, as time went on, the Xeno-Chimps started becoming civilized, albeit rudimentary. Troops of these primates began discovering remains of Duban technology that were dumped on the land, and after gaining fundamental knowledge on higher technology, started applying it to their own inventions. Soon, their own era of technology came to be, just starting their early industrial age, with the advancements of Duban relics. The Duban, not impressed with "savage and crude tools" dismissed them to their own workings, and joined C-Web to fight against the ever-expanding OAS threat.

Differences between the Common Chimpanzee and the Xeno-Chimp
The differences between the common chimpanzees on Earth and elsewhere, and these Xeno-Chimps are varied amongst the individual Xeno and common chimp, but what the Xeno Chimps have universally different is a bit broader face. Unlike the animal chimp's long stoutlike muzzle, they have almost flattened faces, and sharper facial features. Also, though they have yet to achieve total upright position, they can skip or hop longer and faster than their ancestors. An average male Xeno-Chimp is 5' 6, as they had grown through a better diet of plants and fruits.

Government
Despite a sense of civilization, the Xeno-Chimps are a very fractured species. The biggest population is Tapoo, the unofficial capital of the Chimps, where the closest to a starport is built upon a asymmetrical citadel of an ancient civilization. In Tapoo, scientific and cultural advancements are made here, being the largest housing for the geniuses and foreign aliens that seem glad to depart information for relics. Here, a mob of leaders decide on various issues in the underground section of the starport citadel. This government system is similar to a barfight, as a heated debate never lasts long verbally. Usually, the most physically superior leaders make the choices.

Outside Tapoo, there are tribes and small settlements, run by a shaman, chieftain, warlord, or whatever title they may be, as long as the Xeno-Chimp is up for the task. Though more peaceful, there are cases when settlements and clans are split apart when the troop gets too big, or a power struggle occurs after an incident in which the leader is powerless. Bands of Xeno-Chimps are known to hide inside Duban and alien freighters and emigrate unto other planets, causing a population to boom, which may cause a political and ecological crises. Yet, current studies show that only Huarr and a small tropical moon have Xeno-Chimp populations big enough to tip political balances.

Society
Xeno-Chimp families are as varied as the government. Though their religion has a sense of single spouse marriage, most usually also have a harem of dominated males or females. Though the heir of the primary mated couple have more inheritance and power, a sense of comradeship and altruism does exist in Xeno-Chimp society, and this sets them apart from the generalization of them being brute cavemen with guns. Adolescents try to set them apart not by cultural differences as human teens do, but by gaining more power, material wealth, and knowledge than their predecessors. Culture is primitive, and most are exported from alien traders or Duban trash, though that isn't to say that Xeno-Chimps do not have a cultural taste, making a music style with natural resources and trash, and making 2d art similar to Ancient Roman paintings (semi-realistic two colored paintings with no background).

Religion doesn't play a huge role in society, but does affect their philosophy. Their religion is unnamed, simply called Chimpism, tells that all gods exist, and many religions have fundamentally true tenents, but who gives a hell. The Chimps say that their goal in life is to basically be kind to all those who respect the Xeno-Chimps, that survival is a gift in itself, and smash heads of those who get in their way, including the gods themselves. That's all. A very minimalistic religion in a very materialistic mindset.

Economy
A self-sustaining race, the Xeno-Chimps' main exports are ancient relics that the Duban were unable to get, valuable metals from the high mountains, and cheap, cheap crop foods that can be used for feeding massive populations (usually in Dystopias). The main imports are technology, entertainment items, and weapons. The Xeno-Chimps can farm various crops, and can herd some rodents for their food and hide. Sometimes, various factions would fight each other for resources, such as liquid energy, rare commodities which they use for currency, and metal veins.

Military
in times of major fighting, Xeno-Chimps are grouped into troops, and these troops usually combine together to make a larger and more dangerous unit. They usually fight in guerrilla(get it? :lol: ) warfare, having skirmishes all over the place before moving. Improvised and ancient firearms are the main service weapon of this decentralized military, usually hardened metal or metalloids folded around the fundamental gun mechanisms and taped or glued or bolted together. Rifles are popular, as their accuracy and distance can usually guarantee kills in the first shot, as constant firing can tear up the gun inside gradually. Armor is usually the tough hide of animals, which can absorb shrapnel and some needler ammunition, though slabs of stone attached by a rope of some sort give body protection in the front and back, though this can cause shrapnel if the impact of the bullet is strong enough, and is very cumbersome. In terms of armored vehicles, the Xeno-Chimps use whatever they can get and improvise, such as beast drawn turrets to mobile fortresses made out of armored plated buses melded together side by side. Aircrafts are usually air balloons or fragile metal contraptions that can fly, rigged with machine guns. Despite this though, there are some standardized and chimp invented vehicles, such as the [Two low sniffs, a quick high pitched whistle, and some "Ahhs"], or Submersible Armored Personal Carrier (SAPC) in English, is an enclosed, circular treaded APC that can displace amounts of water to go underwater, though these are used for lakes and shores, and there is no mounted gun on the vehicle, causing it to be vulnerable for underwater attack. They have no spaceships, but can send rockets into space, which are fast enough to go through graveddies.

So, the Xeno-Chimps use primitive makeshift guns, can easily get pounded by airstrikes if spotted, have shitty armor, and totally useless vehicles when up against the advanced races. So, what keeps the Xeno-Chimps going extinct from C-Web members that seem to dislike them? Well, the majority of Huarr is water, which is made up of Hydrogen and Oxygen. The Duban writings inside various ancient ruins tell instructions to make a weapon using hydrogen and helium (or their equivalent). Early experiments caused the total destruction of settlements and its surrounding areas. A remote factory and testing facility was hastily made up in the snowy mountains, being the few government institutions. There, these super weapons are mass produced. That's right, the Xeno-Chimps make up for their low-tech military with thousands upon thousands of hydrogen rockets. The fact that a billion thermonuclear rockets can go through a single graveddie and hit something despite massive countermeasures keeps the C-Web and others from seriously attacking the Xeno-Chimps. Course, the Duban specifically sent anti-rocket probes into space, so the threat of Xeno-Chimps is very low. Still, they are a force to be reckoned with.

Author's note: Too much energy was wasted on the Xeno-Chimps, so I'll do the Duban later.
Last edited by Heretic on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Artemis
Global Mod

Re: Huarr

Post by Artemis »

I want to say this in the nicest way possible - I really think you should focus on the Duban as your primary race. The Xeno-chimps, while amusing (and I don't mean that in a condescending way) don't really fit the setting. You might want to recycle them for your own universe, though!
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Ah, come on. I spent hours on these guys. I knew we had to be hardcore sci fi and all, but what is so unfitting about this race? I mean, I think Shroom joined, so there might be no way to make this universe serious. Course, as always, I might be wrong and he might have some darker and edgier alter ego that can pull out the most depressing things ever.

Edit: Duban and Xeno-Chimps are both my primary races. I have to have some sort of interaction interplanetary wise. Too boring to have just C-Web and OAS (amongst other things). Course, I could have the Duban be the primary race with the Xeno-Chimps screwing things up. Damn monkeys.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Author's note: Again, if there is any scientific errors that are glaringly obvious, please report them immediately. Some help would be thankful.

Duban
A very ancient race of aquatic humanoids, The Duban are known for their underwater cities, impressive navy, and their effecient hydrogen powered vehicles, which through Duban technology minimizes lost energy. Despite their technological wonders, byzantine political feuds and conspiracies are rife in Duban society.

Description
These bipedals, though I mentioned humanoid, are only humanoid in the sense that they have a general anatomy of two long legs, two arms, a neck (albeit inside the head), a torso, and a head. Other than that, it is totally alien. Living in the deep sea surface, the Duban developed lidless eyes that glows, thus are purely nocturnal, though when going into light areas, their eyes go partially blind to adjust. They evolved from hard-shelled floor-skimming fishes, and are not really got swimmers. Their skin is a hard, crustacean like shell colored white, though it may darken if prolonged in the sun. Because of high pressure living, the body is bulkier than humans, and legs are nothing more than huge stumps. The face of a Duban has two feelers above its cup shaped sucker mouth, which is used for smelling and a different type of communication. The ears are covered by semi-rigid flaps over the earholes, but this does not affect the Duban's hearing. The hands of the Duban have rough gritty fingers used to cling on surfaces and objects during violent shifts in the underwater plates. An average Duban is 6'7 feet.

Government
Oh shit. Called the Royal Duban Monarchy in its full polity form, the political situation here is unhealthy. Many houses fight amongst each other for control of many undersea and space territories (they left the only continent in Huarr, the Slope, to the mercy of the Xeno-Chimps). Vendettas, espionage, assassination, proxy piracy, treachery, and even outright fighting is common. The Imperial Tier, located under a city built in a deep sea trench, is the capital and official head of government in the Duban Monarchy, but are totally powerless and weak, relying on C-Web for protection, though the political climate in the Duban system is totally whacked, and ships from C-Web have to deal with pirates as well as rogue houses . The lower classes are no better off, stuck in the middle of civil wars, black-op raids, changing jurisdictions, changing laws, and revolts that can totally swamp any Russian Revolution. There is a Duban saying concerning this: "Like the earth's plates, politics move constantly, always causing earthquakes wherever it goes."

Culture
The Duban culture, despite the political mayhem, is still much the same. They enjoy glowing patterns of colorful objects (art), and listen to the random, calm sounds of the deep sea and the sounds of arguing politicians and nobles (music). The Duban still retained a sense for the arts despite their grim lives, and most of their free time is used to play board games and write grim literature. Their architecture follows a trapezoidal shape in general, with no doors to speak of. Offworld visitors are usually located in bubbled trapezoid skyscrapers with a submersible port on top. Religion is diverse, and causes 1/3 of political problems. There is an indigenous underwater pantheon for those traditionalists, and some freaky cults (barnacle worshippers, anyone?) for the more daring ones. There are also converts of alien religions, so don't be surprised if a bunch of nightmare-fueled sea aliens knock on your door, handing out Book of Mormons while eating your snacks. The Duban are omnivores, eating seafood of all sorts. Farming algae is common, and hunting fishes and other sea beasts is a popular sport for all Duban classes.

Military
There is no centralized army necessarily, though Duban technology plays a huge role in equipment. Water and geothermal based technology have a massive role. Underwater, they use sonic weaponry which can kill or seriously maim an unprotected being. Elsewhere, high-velocity projectile and thermonuclear arms are used. A standard service weapon for the Duban private soldier is a small buckler with a curved handle and trigger on one side and a barrel on the other. As the Duban lived in deep sea for a long time, they require protective suits when going to alien and hazardous pressures. These suits look somewhat like early diving suits, though shorter and two latex "tentacle gloves" for their two feelers. Their vehicles both for land and sea are arbelos shaped tanks and APCs. Same with air, though they are jet powered and missile equipped. Spaceships are different. The big ships are trapezoids with its smaller side facing forward, laced with lots of missile pods and metal-eating globs. Colored a mixture of pink and green, these ships are basically a self-sufficient colony ship/battleship/exploration craft. Moist inside, these ships, the Rakven class, hold hundreds of soldiers, colonists, and others, and this is excluding the crew needed to operate the ship itself. The fuel for both ship and weapons are hydrogen, but this is finite, so when fuel is low, the ship will invade planets with hydrogen supplies, inhabited or not, mining hydrogen alongside other materials needed (water, food, medicine, slaves, etc.) If possible, Dubans will immobilize enemy (or not) ships to dock inside, though this is time-consuming and only done by pirate empires.

Ok, I think I'm done with the Duban. The only thing left is the Xeno-Chimp/Duban relationship. As I have been saying alot, if there is a scientific error with no probability, please shout it.
Last edited by Heretic on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joseph Campbell
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

I can't really see any glaring scientific errors, and I really like the internal feuding plaguing the Monarchy.
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Blackwing

Post by Blackwing »

The only potential scientific problem I see with the Duban is that if they evolved on the bottom of a sea deep enough for them to require glowing eyes (which by the way, while awesome, are slightly impractical, I'll assume that the light receiving part of their eye is not also the light emitting part) to see they'd be completely incapable of going into 'normal (that is: human sustainable)' pressure zones without a pressure suit otherwise their internal organs would shut down (or more likely: explode).

So the only scientific problem I see is the 'their skin may darken after long exposure to the sun'... unless it's posthumous.
So Einstein was wrong when he said "God does not play dice". Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that He sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen. ~ Stephen Hawking
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Well, I looked up Angler FIshes and such, and I didn't really see anything wrong with them when they are in land. That is, their skin and outside looked fine. Of course, their organs could have been SHPLAT!, but eh. I'll see to it that I give them a protective suit in the military section.

As for color, maybe there could be Dubans who live in planets with similar pressures, but have the sun shine. I don't know.
-Joseph Campbell