Heretic's thought bin

For 'verse proposals, random ideas, musings, and brainwaves.

Moderators: Invictus, speaker-to-trolls

Heretic

Re: Heretic's thought bin

Post by Heretic »

DIESEL DOOM
In the world of Druffe, much is similar to 1920-1940 Earth. Diesel and electricity rules the world. Airliners, radio, and electricity are everyday items in many nations. Skyscrapers punch the sky as humankind progress against savage nature. But something feels..aloof. While noir is a staple in the atmosphere of Druffe, unhuman horrors lurk within the shadows, and secret agents stab each other in an eternal on-off war.

This is a world of femme fatales, daring pilots, dirty-dealing detectives and brave laymen who must fight the eldritch horror with wits and steel. The world is filled with ancient Ebytian (Egyptian/Sumerian) ruins waiting to be discovered, sky battles, ghastly murder, and skyscrapers with deathly secrets that lurk in the underbelly. Problems can either be solved by deceit or a gun, and the consequences can come back much, much worse. This is not a world of happiness and sugar. This is a world of grim lives that are determined to fight for a better tomorrow, no matter the consequences.

*This was inspired by Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Bioshock, vintage technology photos, and H.P. Lovecraft. Added in is a sidedish of Crimson Skies and Metropolis. The mood is kinda set by some Great Depression books I read.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Now that my NanoWrimo is botched on many levels and for various reasons, I can go back to focusing on O1 stuff. One idea I had was writing a story with characters based on the Traveller RPG system.

What I mean is I'm going to roll up characters like I would in an RPG, semi-randomly, and instead of playing them I will write them into a space opera story (ok, so it's a story that could be an adventure module. Go figure). I just need help with names, personalities, and genders. I'll throw down the stats here and explain what they mean in laymen's term as much as possible.
-Joseph Campbell
Blackwing

Post by Blackwing »

I hope you're not using one of the versions where your character can die during character creation.

Else you might end up with a cast of corpses. Although that could be interesting.
So Einstein was wrong when he said "God does not play dice". Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that He sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen. ~ Stephen Hawking
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I'm not using Classic Traveller. Lol If I did I would need to recycle alot. No, I'm using the Mongoose Publishing version where failing a survival roll leads to rolling on a mishap table, which is less severe and usually leads to gain rivals, losing/gaining skills, kicked out of the career, or in the worst case lose physical attributes permanently (with a roll in the injury table). Better at giving the characters a back story with dark secrets.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Mirror Mirror
What if the Hardcore Way was serious and a total joykill? What if there was no plasma miniguns and elf-riding T-Rexes (or vice versa), and ships had no shielding and FTL was different or even non-existent? Would there be consequences to bio-engineered soldiers and mindlessly killing aliens for little reason other than because everyone else is doing it?

What if the Tyxans were the strongest polity? Greeg Dominants encounter humanity first before the Varakeef? What would happen if there was no Galactic Stockpile for the Gloguk to rely upon? What would happen if humanity discovered the aliens first? What if the Gloguk, heaven forbid, was a democratic egalitarian utopia not bent on exterminating and enslaving anything that twitches the wrong way? What then?

Dive deep into the alternate versions of the beloved (lol) universe created by Harry T. Icke as we see how things could have gone differently.

This idea is more for when I get back to finishing the dozen million stories I have drafted in the universe. But an interesting idea nonetheless.
The Unity Universe
As I work more and more on The Slurping Bail Hunter series, I decided to do the exact opposite of Hardcore Way and revolve a universe around the characters instead of the concepts and polities. The people I'm revolving around are Dlugh'dux, Ace Hammercreek, and a few other characters that I haven't unveiled yet.

To start, let's get the basic premise down:
-Space Opera/Soft Sci-fi
-Lasers are invisible
-FTL via warp bubble
-The Galactic Monarchy(The Unity) vs The Evil Race Empire (The Limvans).
-History= Once upon a time, when the old federation that held the peace for hundreds of years collapsed, the Limvans took the opportunity and assimilated countless worlds to their ever-hungry empire. It was two teenagers who banded a group of rebels together in order to stop the huge empire. Within a decade,they succeeded in regaining much territory and became leaders of a new galactic empire based on dukes and stuff.

There would be more details, but I need to do more Dlugh'dux stories before continuing.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Okay, I really should get back to writing the conclusion chapters of AIS(Y), but my will to do so is currently down due to reading STB which is ten times more cooler and should be read by everyone, so I decided to take a musing at fantasy for my next NaNoWriMo.
A fantasy epic based on an African setting. I didn't choose that because I want to feel different from the rest, and I have many ideas for the standard European setting. What interests me is the sociopolitical stuff and the potential magic system there. Up north are are the Arabic archetypes with the large cities and iron (sometimes steel) weapons. In the middle of this continent are the village-states/powerful semi-nomadic tribes with mostly bronze weapons. Down south are coastal empires who fight with the north over competition on trade and resources. Dotting most of the continent are the wandering tribes of hunter-gathers who go with the herd and river. One tribe in in the south in particular, the Oan, are said to have been around during the age of the Urkdalan civilization, an ancient precursor race of men-beings who harnessed the nature of magic into an almost scientific field of study.

The system of magic will vary in this world, depending on the mythos and social structure of the tribe/group/state. To figure this out, one must ask three essential questions:

1. What is the society like? This question can be divided further:

-The emphasis on material goods and its role in inheritance? This will determine whether there is a fetish element in that system. The less materialistic will be able to cast spells with his/her will.

-Forms of government only affect the social view of mage users. The despot might allow only one magician (usually himself) and use his magic to keep spirits from having women birth more mage users, while shamans in most tribes are revered and the laymen can take part in rituals, possibly even doing their own small magic in their house or community. Kingdoms usually regulate magicians to houses or academies to keep power consolidated.

-Patriarchy, Matriarchy, or equal? The vibe of the culture's lead gender can dictate the magic's feel and emphasis, as well as who can be a mage user. While patriarchies will have hunting and quest-related initiation with emphasis of conquest of outer elements with their inner will, while matriarchies usually have herb-based magic and fertility rituals as their basis and women in the matriarchy system can usually have access to powerful creation magic after a secret initiation. Gender equal or neutral government systems can easily take the best of both and intermix anytime, becoming a sort of trickster archetype. The matriarchy and equal system generally have both genders partake in the rituals and thus have more magic users, but the patriarchy and their aggressive mentality allows for those few to have more powerful spells.

-Emphasis on a certain age can be important on the social level. Who gets the better treatment? Mostly the elders are treated with respect, who in turn teach the young ones the skills they need. Magic there can vary. But there are some tribes who prefer an age group. Those that focus on the young emphasize the survival of the tribe to the next generations, and miracles and blessings can favor the young with special items gained during adulthood quest, thus allowing for many beneficial artifacts and the tribe can get boons in food and births. Societies that favor the elder are allowed to ancient and elusive knowledge, either from the efforts of the elders' own education, or from the magical revelations that appear in the trances of elders and can help the society make sound decisions.

-What class does this society favor? A militaristic society has most of its magic in destructive and defensive spells while a trading outpost will use scrying and guardian spirits to make sure a deal is fair (and use luck trinkets to increase their own charisma and/or client misjudgement). Generally, the profession or class that society favors most will have more spells for them. If priests or magicians are the most favored, then the priest gains more powerful holy spells (and easier contact with spirits) and the magician summon most of his spells easily.

-Community-based or individual-based? Yes, all societies in Africa are mostly community-based, but to what extent? Similar to question 1. Whose more important: The community, the family, or the person? Usually communities would eat together and share together, while more individual societies would have fenced cattle and divisible rooms, only coming out for festivals and work; they know whose stuff is who, and disputes can happen on personal property. Community-based societies can only summon powerful magic through congregational chanting and rituals, while individual and clan societies can individually channel magic, but at a higher cost, whether material or mental; it might even be a promise or service.

2.What is the general relation between the pantheon and the people that worship them? A malevolent deity would require many superstitious customs (similar to the slanted roof custom in certain parts of Asia where the roofs must be slanted to keep demons away) and magic will require provocation and appeasement. More aloof and neutral pantheons will have systems based on imitation (sprinkling water a certain way to create rain). Benevolent deities are rare, and the selected who can wield their magic are few. These wisemen and women can use their inner gifts at will, and feared by many. The various elemental spirits and/or elements of nature can be evoked to replicate their respected effect. Invoking the names of various gods allow the magic user to enhance any spells within the god's domain. (bronze weapons allegedly become faster when sworn under a bronze god's name).

When two incompatible cultures collide, the magic becomes unstable, and both sides have weakened and sporadic magic regardless of their system. What usually happens if the two cultures don't simply go their own ways (maybe resources, maybe by force from a greater threat) can go to ways: the two cultures fight it out in a cultural battle and see who is strongest, or invoke a lengthy harmony ritual which allows a metaphysical boundary, keeping the cultures' magic and axiom from flooding each other, but also limits some magic and rituals from both sides. This ritual can break once the two incompatibles part ways. Cities and trade outposts generally have totems and symbols that limit all but the strongest magic in order to both regulate power in the material world and keep the spiritual realm neutral for normal weather patterns and luck.

Monotheistic cultures usually have fewer powerful spells and require more time and resources to cast those spells that require the surroundings than those of polytheistic faith. The advantage of the monotheistic mythos/creed is their immunity to many magical barriers, either because their deity is omnipresent, or because their worship of one object allows the energy to be great enough and bypass a tailsman or shield.

3. In many real African cultures, everything has a soul or spirit (I can't tell the difference) and death is only the transition from one realm of life to another. I believe that a few cultures have sense of afterlife in the "Heaven/hell" way.

The question mostly determines the type of conjurations and spirit-based objects. If the society believes that the spirits of the dead still reside on this plane and not "recycled",then conjurations of ancestors and ancient beings can be done quickly, the beings/items are more powerful, and the spirits can talk and help the individual or society. T The drawback here would be the need to appease angry or sorrowful spirits, and have many strange customs to keep the spirits from being either frightened or angry (spirits also have taboos).

If the society considers dead spirits to go to another plane, the conjurations get harder, but allows the society for more cultural liberty and development. Demons and possessions can become a problem to these conjurations, but efficient exorcism is usually developed quickly if the tribe is to survive. In fact, these societies can use demons for their own bidding, if they ethically and morally choose to do so. Again, drawbacks can happen.

Dreams are considered by almost all societies to be messages from beyond, and interpreters are highly valued.

Most societies can have intertwining qualities. A materialist patriarchy can still use will-based magic with little to no materials, and an individual sorcerer can be as powerful as a congregation of laymen chanting a storm.

There are three unique magical factional factors to note as well:

1. The Isolate-Not all people are in a faction or homeland. There are some who don't have a home, either because they prefer to wander (and not join a wanderer party)or they are almost universally shunned. They are out of most magical systems, being only themselves, but with proper practice and mindset can create their own. The Three Questions are still asked, but this time on an individual scale. What does the person believe in and how does he act? Vile sorcerers and wise hermits take the Isolate path in order to harness their powers at a rate and skill that is unmatched by most mainstream magicians and witches and shamans. When an Isolate mage becomes powerful enough, he or she can strike their own faction and have it based around their system of magic, becoming despots.

Funny enough, most Isolates congregate with each other for protection and specialized magic gained from each individual. To keep their individual powers, the Isolate group must take care not to become a organization in themselves. To do so, the unspoken rule is "do as thou wilt" and those that disagree with certain actions are free to stop the other at the risk of destruction of the band. Another strange custom is that the Isolates never circle around the campfire with each other, or even have one look at the group near the fire, as it would result in the sense of a party. They would usually face in various directions away from each other and light individual fires. The need to exchange items of necessity occur between Isolates, and the Isolates "trade" or "loan in indefinite terms" with each other to keep the sense of sovereignty within themselves, and thus their magic. The Isolate band is always on the fine line of being a group of outcasts and an outcast faction with similar goals.

2. Misotheism- In a magical world where nature and religion usually blurs, it would be difficult to be a rational atheist in this world. The gods are everywhere and unbelief would be extremely difficult. But there are a few who refuse to bend their knee to any deity. These men and women are disgusted at the vengeful mythos where trickster spirits kill children carelessly and steal family members for forced marriages or petty vengeance, at the aloof pantheons who stick to their domain with no care of the mortal world, and the "benevolent" gods can be selective with their help and usually have a inclusive sphere of mortals they look upon.

The harsh realm of this land causes some to look not onto external forces for help, but internally. The misotheists generally believe that Mankind must ascend from groveling at the feet of deities who give little care to them, and harness the powers of the surroundings to better themselves and their fellow men. There a few misotheistic organizations, but generally it's an individual belief.

Because of their nature, misotheists cannot harness the divine magic that most others can. Even though they can be used as conduits during group magic, individually they are 'empty'. This is replaced by a type of supernatural element that we shall label "The Path of Self". Even if the misotheistic magic user cannot harness the elements and spirits to create spells like a stream of fire or bolt of electricity, with intense physical and mental practice the Path of Self adherent can harness his/her willpower and living self-being to replicate an effect similar to that. Even if a "fire" based spell used by a misotheist does not show flames or heat, the effect will still burn. A "wind" spell would not give characteristics of a wind, but more of a push or pull.

This type of magic requires intensive practice and gradually fatigues the user, as it draws its energy from the user themselves and not from an external force. The same reason can become an advantage, as the misotheist or anyone using the Path of Self are safe from conflicting cultural battles and can use magic even in spiritual or hostile voids.

3. Secret societies- It is ridiculous to say that everyone in a single society has the same magic system. Powerful individuals can have similar, but different casting preparations and/or specializations. These individuals are rare in most societies, though. It would not be beneficial for a warring tribe to have powerful summoners who can conjure rock warriors and only have a few weak witch-doctors because of their society. An easy way to specialize in different systems or focus on a different class of spells without causing magical reality breakdown are secret societies.

Secret societies are not necessarily secret, but require intensive and selective recruitment processes to get in. Even though secret societies are within a general mainstream society, they are different and inclusive enough to allow a separate magical system. A shamanistic society can have a group of sorcerers who can flick lighting from their fingers, or a military can have a group of special seers that can ghost through walls.

Secret societies can take form in fraternities, guilds, academies, special units within a military, influential factions, a tradition of hermits on top of that mountain yonder, even a group of friends with some sort of initiation can gain their own set of magical specialties and/or methods.

Phew, that is the first time I thought of magic. Hope to expand this idea further.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I decided to try another Traveler/Firefly/Oolite/Freelancer story about an independent crew with a trading spaceship that goes around and do wacky space opera adventures while, you know, trading from planet to planet to space station to planet. But I want something different. I want you guys to make the crew and the ship, and I'll write the stories (or we can try and make another ill-conceived RPG). I feel limited if I make all the characters myself, so I want to ask from all the other brains who have different ideas and connections to come up with characters that I can use. This would help me with working with characters I would have never thought of doing before, and it's always interesting to see what people come up with.

The characters can range from a character description and name to a whole backstory with equipment stats. Hell, I don't even have a ship name or description, so if you want to do something with that, be my guest.

The story I'm thinking is that there is this new captain of a trade vessel (could be a small clunker, a cargo hauler, a retrofitted military flagship, etc) decided to strike on his/her/its own, but needs to form a crew to man the ship.

The captain needs to figure out (this is where characters get slot in, and multiple characters can go into the same occupation):

A Captain (who also acts as pilot and merchant at times):

A Navigator:

Comms Officer who knows legal protocols and regulations:

An Engineer:

A few menial hands who can haul cargo, man the turrets (if any), bruise a few folks, etc:

A Doctor:

The captain also considered (these are optional depending on setting and type of ship):

A plucky Sidekick:

An Accountant/Merchant:

That Dark and Mysterious Passanger:

The Sexy AI (It's becoming a cliche):

A robot warrior:

Proud Warrior Alien Guy:

Your Choice:

EDIT: oh yeah, Ship name and specs are open as well if anyone wants to get into the technical stuff.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

So while I'm heading back into Comix, I am thinking of going smaller and make more local characters like the Urban Hunters, where rather than powerful, global or even national figures, the heroes are sma!ler in terms of power levels and care more about what goes on their backyard than on the other side of the world. I'll still be doing adventures with Captain Capitalism and pals, but any new characters will be made with alow presence in mind. This way I can write stories without fear of butchering existing lore and serves as a challenge.

But I still want to make powerful characters and stuff so was thinking of bringing my somewhat fleshed superhero universe over, but I then I thought it would be cool if I get to see other people's superpower universe or superhero works as well.

So what about a sort of alternate earth where the the multiveres can converge, sending teams or individuals intentionally or accidentally to fight against greater threats or even each other. Maybe Comix can get on in this action.

I always wanted to see Captain Capitalism face off against some of my other folks for the fate of Wall Street.

Sorry wrote this on tablet so sentence structure is curt.
-Joseph Campbell
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Fidel Castro dying on Black Friday and Augusto Pinochet's birthday.

There's a potential for a sort of story or modern meme-based cult here....
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Heretic wrote:But I still want to make powerful characters and stuff so was thinking of bringing my somewhat fleshed superhero universe over, but I then I thought it would be cool if I get to see other people's superpower universe or superhero works as well.

So what about a sort of alternate earth where the the multiveres can converge, sending teams or individuals intentionally or accidentally to fight against greater threats or even each other. Maybe Comix can get on in this action.

I always wanted to see Captain Capitalism face off against some of my other folks for the fate of Wall Street.

This is something I'd like to see, actually. I missed that particular bit the first time round.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic, you ever think aliens would like Epic Meal Time? :P

Also I sent you a PM.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Invictus wrote:
Heretic wrote:But I still want to make powerful characters and stuff so was thinking of bringing my somewhat fleshed superhero universe over, but I then I thought it would be cool if I get to see other people's superpower universe or superhero works as well.

This is something I'd like to see, actually. I missed that particular bit the first time round.
Like everyone showcases their settings and then pitch a few characters into a multiverse, with a Torg-like system for world rules wherein laws of reality change depending on who controls what regions (Cyberpunk Japan with EVIL AI, Lovecraftian Southeastern Asia with a fundamentalist Victorian colonial rpioff, CYBERPAPACY WITH THE GOD NETWORK, Magical Britain, etc.)
"Wellis wrote:
Also I sent you a PM.
Yeah trying to reply to your various questions and comments. Hopefully will finish the reply soon.
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Heretic wrote:Like everyone showcases their settings and then pitch a few characters into a multiverse, with a Torg-like system for world rules wherein laws of reality change depending on who controls what regions (Cyberpunk Japan with EVIL AI, Lovecraftian Southeastern Asia with a fundamentalist Victorian colonial rpioff, CYBERPAPACY WITH THE GOD NETWORK, Magical Britain, etc.)
I mean your own fleshed-out superhero universe, what does that look like. I'm pretty interested to know.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Invictus wrote:
Heretic wrote:Like everyone showcases their settings and then pitch a few characters into a multiverse, with a Torg-like system for world rules wherein laws of reality change depending on who controls what regions (Cyberpunk Japan with EVIL AI, Lovecraftian Southeastern Asia with a fundamentalist Victorian colonial rpioff, CYBERPAPACY WITH THE GOD NETWORK, Magical Britain, etc.)
I mean your own fleshed-out superhero universe, what does that look like. I'm pretty interested to know.
OH!

Erm, I've been fleshing it on and off, but basically the villains (known as the CABAL) won against the generic heroes thanks to an ancient power
Gilgamesh who actually found immortality but went insane by the culture shock of the mid to late 20th century
and all that's left to fight back against the new status quo are questionable anti-heroes and former villains who didn't get their piece of the pie when the Cabal divided up Earth. This faction, under the blanket term of RETRIBUTERS, range from a slightly nicer megacorporation run by two smug CEO sisters, the Tea Party on steroids, an ancient and secret Japanese organization that mixes magical girls with Shin Megami Tensei stuff, a ragtag group of villains who decided to tell the Cabal to fuck off in order to protect their turf, and the supernatural fighting super Catholic paramilitary DEUS VULT organization to name a few.

There are also minor, indpendent groups, including an association of junkyard scrappies and rag pickers who always stumbles upon either forbidden treasures or lost ruins despite having little intention to(inspired by Urban Exploration and the community of refuse scavengers of India and other third world countries), a sort of Hogwarts academy except with a high casualty rate thanks to the fact that magic in this setting is powered by otherworldy and horrifying elements, and an independent country residing in the Chernobyl area of Ukraine that is connected to an alternate Fantasy dimension (think of the anime GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There! except with less harem and more SLAVNESS).

One interesting thing to note is after the Cabal won, they kinda broke apart and have begun fighting each other. The cliched scheming supervillain S.K.U.L.L. group loves to cackle behind their secret volcano and swamp bases and hiss "JUST AS PLANNED", and have no interest of living in a hellhole that the edgy vampiric/demonic Nephilim want to bring about. The Peacekeepers are what the Cabal replaced the old superhero leagues with to control the opinion, cover up other Cabalist activity, and fight Retributers who they consider villains trying to destroy civilization, but individual Peacekeepers are probably much nicer than your individual Retributer and really does care about the community's well being.

You could say that if the Retributers didn't become a severe threat to the Cabal, the Cabal would have torn itself apart fighting for power and keeping the other members from having their vision of the world happen. But because of the external threat, the Cabal factions are clenching their teeth to work together and fight off the newcomers.

"JUSTICE IS DEAD. THERE IS ONLY RETRIBUTION."
-Joseph Campbell
wellis

Post by wellis »

Heretic wrote:
Gilgamesh who actually found immortality but went insane by the culture shock of the mid to late 20th century

a sort of Hogwarts academy except with a high casualty rate thanks to the fact that magic in this setting is powered by otherworldy and horrifying elements
Your thing with Gilgamesh reminds of the Fate series' Gilgamesh and the whole thing with your Hogwarts academy is making me imagine a sort of mix between the Mage's Association from the Fate series and Hogwarts, like where they have powerful families that fill special positions at your Hogwarts, both incredibly wealthy and very powerful in magic as well. Like superpowered rich people.

And of course underneath them, the more sort-of-normal magic students.

Oh and said academy also sends out its own hunters to steal artifacts and get into semi-spats with the Deus Valt types from the Church in addition to grudging, clenched teeth teamwork sometimes. :P