Comic Books

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Arty

Comic Books

Post by Arty »

You know, those garishly-painted, fragile, floppy books filled with nothing by violence, harsh language, and adults in pervert suits.

God, I love 'em.

What's everybody reading these days?
I know it’s a mess and it’s half-taped together and it’s old and busted — but it’s mine. And you gotta make that work, right? You gotta make your own stuff work out.
Invictus

Re: Comic Books

Post by Invictus »

Some of the Marvel Now! titles, and pretty much nothing from the DC side now that Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics is done.

Oh, and Prophet.

Man, Prophet.

EDIT: And recent short series that I liked? Alabaster: Wolves. Godzilla: the Half-Century War. Multiple Warheads.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

I don't read comics any more :ugeek:

I did get a graphic novel yesterday though. Kingdom Come which I am part way through.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Arty

Post by Arty »

I gotta say, I have always been a DC guy, but Marvel is winning me over really, really hard. As is perhaps evident, I'm a complete Hawkeye fanboy (so much so that I intentionally mispronounce the book as "Hawkguy"), and intend to remain so for as long as Matt Fraction and/or David Aja remain on the book. Captain Marvel and Young Avengers are similarly buy-every-month titles for me, and while I think Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy are trying a little too hard in some ways, I want to stick around and see what they turn into.

The real winner for me, though, is Saga. There's nothing I don't love about that series, and I strongly urge you all to check it out.

Vulture, I really liked Kingdom Come. Alex Ross' art can be a little stiff for me sometimes, but he just knocked it out of the park on that book. Also, I'm a sucker for weary superheroes with gray hair.
I know it’s a mess and it’s half-taped together and it’s old and busted — but it’s mine. And you gotta make that work, right? You gotta make your own stuff work out.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Arty wrote:I gotta say, I have always been a DC guy, but Marvel is winning me over really, really hard.
I'm more or less in the same boat, except it was the Nu52 reboot that killed most of my interest in the Distinguished Competition. In comparison Marvel reliably had a few nice titles around for these last few years, if you ignored the annual Big Summer Event books.

I've heard good things about Hawkeye, and this combined with the high profile he's been getting from the Avengers film is probably the best thing to have happened to the character in ages.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Booted Vulture wrote:I did get a graphic novel yesterday though. Kingdom Come which I am part way through.
They're calling Kingdom Come a graphic novel these days? Even though it's mostly about funnymen punching each other. :P

Still a classic of course, and certainly much better at presenting its themes than a lot of more recent works.
-

Coming NEVER
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

i was just being snooty for snootynesses case Vic.

I don't regular follow any books any more, and when i did it was british reprints of spider-man which were like years behind. But you did get three comics at once and they managed to print entire storylines. They didn't just say reprint amazing spiderman if it was a four part story with one part in each of the spidey books.

That said whenever I hear about anything going on in modern comics it sounds so stupid. Like the Spidey/DocOck thing at the moment
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Booted Vulture wrote:That said whenever I hear about anything going on in modern comics it sounds so stupid. Like the Spidey/DocOck thing at the moment
Spider-Ock would just be another gonzo bronze-ageish plotline if it weren't for modern decompressed storytelling in comics and oh, the Internet.

I mean, Captain America was a werewolf for a few issues in 1992. Imagine if Marvel pulled that today.
-

Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I got the recentest volume of SAGA. I am about to get hardcopies of PROPHET and the first volume of PRETTY DEADLY. MULTIPLE WARHEADS was great.

And also, NAUSICAA THE VALLEY OF THE WIND. The manga is incredible. The movie is just two chapters into the seven chapter manga. It is absolutely incredible, the world building, the politics, the warfare, the carnage, the philosophy. Miyazaki is a genius.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD