Art Thread (Concerns)

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Ford Prefect

Re: Art Thread (Concerns)

Post by Ford Prefect »

i don't know whether to laugh or cry ...
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Zor

Post by Zor »

Zor
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I like the feel of it. It seems similar to the IJA TYPE 99 LMG.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Zor

Post by Zor »

The Mark-2 Shchuka is an improved type of self propelled anti-ship munition, superseding the Type-1. Work began on the Shchuka in 19IA as Engineering Project 1701. The purpose of which was to provide a way of allowing a weapon for small, fast steam powered boats to easily destroy larger warships. The project took two years and six prototypes to make a unit which met the requirements. Production then begun as well as construction of a number of Shchuka Boats. While successful there were several instances of failures. This led to an improved version in the Mark-2, first put into production in the winter of 26IA.

The Mark-2 Shchuka, like it's earlier counterpart is slightly more than three meters long. It is propelled using a compressed air system, with a top speed of 49 kilometers per hour. A slight improvement over the Mark-1. It's warhead is the same, being composed of a load of Nitrocellulose able to do sugnifigant damage on contact with an enemy ship's hull, though the detonation mechanism has been upgraded. The Mark-2 is launched off the side of a boat or ship and then makes it's way toward it moving mostly submerged. Bad weather and the occasional bit of flotsom or stray fish can cause it to go off course. The Shchuka is a complex device, requiring a lot of machining and effort for their assembly. Arsenal-11 in Dalatyr produces Mark-2 Shchukas at a rate of nine per month.

(NOTE: Torpedoes are named after a Family of Electric Rays (the flat Cartilaginous fish). Given that most people of Infrastructure live inland in a pretty cold area, i felt that a more temperate freshwater namesake would be appropriate. So adopted the Russian word for Pike because they would know about them and pikes are long, thin and aggressive bastards.)
Zor

Post by Zor »

Yes, the handle is anachronistic.

Zor
Last edited by Zor on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

i as thinking the bayonet was likely to be unwieldly and unpractical.

And no trigger guard? Sort of looks like it should only be down when the hammer is cocked. but that hammer isn't cocked in your picture.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Zor

Post by Zor »

Booted Vulture wrote:i as thinking the bayonet was likely to be unwieldly and unpractical.
Long story short, this gun was in part designed by a bunch of old fashioned gunsmiths who have some silly ideas. Among them being the idea of making a pistol into an emergency backup melee weapon by sticking a blade onto the end of it.

I fixed the trigger.

Zor
Zor

Post by Zor »

Zor
Zor

Post by Zor »

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

What program are you using to create these fine weapons?
-Joseph Campbell
Zor

Post by Zor »

Heretic wrote:What program are you using to create these fine weapons?
Adobe Photoshop.

Zor
Zor

Post by Zor »

An SMG with a integral box magazine.

Zor
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

So, on a lark, I doodled up an idea that had been bouncing around in my head for a while. Hell, I'd do more for this if I had enough time.

SHINGEKI NO TEMPEST

For reference.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

YES YES FUCKING YES!
-Joseph Campbell
NoXion

Post by NoXion »

Here is a super heavy lift vehicle, inspired by the Aldebaran. The teeny tiny cargo door on the illustrations shown in the link always bothered me, so I decided to try and draw my own version.

The Behemoth class was a key player in the early phases of mass orbital industrialisation during the late 21st century of the Nova Mundi universe. Her large cargo doors allow for quick loading from multiple crane-equipped container ships, and the open design of the cargo bay interior allows for the loading of outsize pieces of cargo that cannot easily be broken down into smaller parts. The SLS Behemoth, the first of her kind, was completed in 2078 as the first major spacecraft design built at the recently-constructed Tobruk Spaceyards. A durable and reliable design meant that the Behemoth class remained in service with various sovereignties and organisations for over 320 years, the SLS Atlas being the last of her kind to be scrapped in 2405. Two main factors behind the demise of the Behemoth class being the falling cost of reactionless drives following the defeat of the Bathysite occupation, and the beginning of mass FTL trade between Earth and extrasolar colonies.

The drawing still needs polish (and greeblies), but I thought it was worth sharing at this point.