THE MUZEEK THREAD!

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Heretic

THE MUZEEK THREAD!

Post by Heretic »

Post all your favorite music videos here. I know, some (or most) will probably be deleted along the path of time, but until then, let's boogy!

Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Re: THE MUZEEK THREAD!

Post by Siege »

This is actually a pretty good and interesting idea, but I'd like to impose two conditions on a music thread like this: one, post only one video at a time. No mass YouTube spam; it won't serve any purpose. And two, do try and add a bit about what you like so much about the video you're posting. You don't have to convince anyone, it's not a debate about tastes, but if you're going through the trouble of telling us what music you like you might as well tell us why you like it, yeah?
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Alright. I was a little blown over the top.

I dunno. I just like A Gringo like Me because it had that macho tune of those old western movies (Ironically, mostly Italian made films). And I just like the other two because they both had nice vocals and music. Angelzoom had that little calm eerie tune to it, while Coronatus's more aggressive vocals with the nice beat made it sound awesome.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I'd never heard of Angelzoom, but I rather enjoy them. I'll be checking out their work.

However, if it's Wild West-themed songs you're interested in, I offer Sixteen Horsepower's "Outlaw Song":

I've been a fan of 16HP (and the new band from the same singer, Wovenhand) for some time, but this song is my favourite of theirs: it's quite simple (I'm told it's based on a Hungarian folk song) with no fancy guitar solos or anything, but the intensity of the vocals and the whole Revelations undercurrent definitely makes it worth the while.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Because there's nothing better than corny, hot-blooded power metal:

Sabaton is a Swedish power metal band that mostly sings about war and metal.

Peter Pan has never been so epic. I can't really explain why, but I really like this song. I've been known to listen on loop for over an hour.
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Heading said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
-Rudyard Kipling
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

DUDE! I love Sabaton! That's what got me into Power Metal.

And Blind Guardian-Fly is pretty awesome. It has a funny beginning, but the way the vocals are is nice. The middle had that epic Viking choir in it.
-Joseph Campbell
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Davai za, by the Russian folk rock group Lubeh. It's so solemn and the tune is almost hauntingly catchy. It's basically a tribute to Russian soliders, but I think the sentiment can apply to pretty much any nation's military. According to the youtube description, the lyrics mean:

War and na nanana..
War and nananana

With grey clouds the sky is veiled
Nerves tensed such as guitar strings
Rain drumming from morning to night
Frozen time seems an eternity
We assualt from all directions
Tanks, infnatry, artillery's fire
They are killing us, but we're surviving
And once again, we throw ourselves in an attack

A toast to life, come on brother, until the end
A toast to those, who were with us back then
We'll remember those who were with us back then

The sky above us, in leaden clouds
Lies low in cold mists
We'd like to believe that everything's over
If only the wounded comrade could survive
Wait up bro, don't die yet
You will live long and happily
We will dance at your wedding
And you'll raise your kids up in the sky

A toast to those who wait for you at home

A toast to them, a toast to us
To Siberia and to the Caucasus
To the lights of far-away cities
And to friends, and to love
A toast to them, a toast to us
And to the Paras, and to the Spetznas
To war honors
Come on, lets raise it, friend

A toast to those, who were with us back then
We'll remember those who were with us back then

In old album, I found a picture
Grandpa, what a man, commander of Red Army
Signed "For son to remeber, Berlin 1945"
Passed century flashbacks
The smell of unmowed grass in the dawn,
Moans of scorched earth from bombardments
Pair of old soldier's boots
New wars will replace the old ones

A toast to life
A toast to those
A toast to life
Let's remember those who were with us

I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

In the next video, Billy Joel performs one of my favourite songs, namely Miami 2017. I love it for two reasons: for one because as a sucker for fantastic predictions of the future I love how he describes the end of the city of New York in exquisite and fantastic detail. And for two because I'm a huge fan of the Big Apple. I've been there a couple of times now, and this song never fails to take me back to Battery Park and the highrise of lower Manhattan.

Off naked Chatham show,
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

The last few years have introduced me to trip hop, and the kings and queens of trip hop are undoubtedly Massive Attack. You might know them for a little ditty they did for the TV show House.

The above song, Dissolved Girl, is one of the few songs of theirs that I've listened to more than a hundred times without getting sick of it - I simply cannot get enough of it, either the slow build-up with it's almost-a-record-skip dub, or its beautiful female vocals. This is seriously thick music, guys.
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Oho, Mezzanine. Easily one of the best albums of the late-1990s. But really, it wouldn't do to mention it without at least putting up Angel, which has I think been dubbed underneath at least half a dozen movies and even more TV-series in one way or another.

And the same can be said for Teardrop of course, which also deserves mention (also for the beautiful video that came with its release as a single).

Anyway, if it's triphop we're talking, you might be interested in Portishead -- their last album (Third) came out two years ago, and The Rip was one of my favourite tracks of that year.

Off naked Chatham show,
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Oh man, I love Portishead. Great quietly angry music. Mourning Air is probably my favorite at the moment.

Have you by chance heard of the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble? They're not EXACTLY trip-hop, but they've got sort of the same feel to it. Video's kinda questionable, but its for one of them better songs.

"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Shady

Post by Shady »

Since we're listing music, let me present you with my current obsession - Disturbed. For some reason I can't stop listening to their music. I was never one for metal, but these guys are awesome.

(I am unable to embed it, for some reason - so a link will have to do.)

Currently my favorite song - Stricken, for more reasons than I can count.

Fixed your embedding code for you - SIEGE
It Is Better To Reign In Hell Than To Serve In Heaven!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Vangelis - Blade Runner Blues

I love instrumentals, particularly those slow and moody musics that just ooze with emotion or feeling - something that just immerses you in sounds with a kind of character that stirs the soul and that goes hand in hand with the visuals films and videos show you. To me, there's no other audiovisual experience that compares with Blade Runner, and this is one of the great musics that make that wonderful movie a wonderful movie.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

What do you get when you mash up a whole bunch of seemingly randomly chosen YouTube artists? Well...

Off naked Chatham show,
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Oh man, if you want mashups...

DJ Earworm is seriously one of the best mashup artists I've ever encountered. To handle that many tracks and not only make it feel like a cohesive whole, but to make it into something this... I dunno, just this SMILE-INDUCING! There's maybe two songs on this whole thing that I'd listen to by themselves, but together, like this... man, something special.

Someone described this song as "pure, unfiltered poptimsim." Hell yeah, baby.

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

That's spectacular. And yes, I smiled like a goddamn goofball :D.

Off naked Chatham show,
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

This one's a bit more mellow, but it's still incredibly fun.

I can't even comprehend a mind that can piece all this together.

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

The MGS Theme; Done by A Full Orchestra Pretty damn rad; I swear some of the muscians are actually geeking out while performing this:

In some of game cinematics; there seemsed to be one of MGS 3 snake walking away, dramatically from an explosion, that doesn't look like any cutscene that I can recall from the game, can any of my fellow MGS geeks identifiy that?
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Following in that same vein, Nightwish does the Crimson Tide theme.

I DARE you not to headbang to this.

Incidentally, also really good writing music, as is most of Nightwish, especially the instrumentals.

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Arty's Knights in Powered Armor story made me dig out my old CCR tapes, and so I give you what I think is an appropriate theme:

Off naked Chatham show,
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Siege, the fact that you have CCR tapes that you still listen to further cements your status as Damn Cool Guy.

Shady

Post by Shady »

I have discovered the awesomeness that is, Lou Bega.

Bachata! :D
It Is Better To Reign In Hell Than To Serve In Heaven!
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Just found this:

And something a bit tamer involving an english sheep pig:
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Heading said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
-Rudyard Kipling
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

That Sabaton song has kind of a catchy hook to it, but I can't help but think that the synthesizers sound so damned corny. Of course, that's sort of a personal issue I have with the power, epic, symphonic, etc. metal sub-genres -- damn near everyone seems to insist on using those awful synthesizers. What's wrong with hiring an actual string quartet? Or perhaps a proper organ? That thin electronic whine doesn't really spell "epic" to me, and yet I'm guessing that's the idea they tend to convey. Pity, that.

To more properly convey what I mean (and to show off how awesomely eclectic my musical tastes are ;)), here's a remixed Rob Dougan track which finds its way back to my playlists at least once every six months or so... Usually to stay there for weeks on end. If you were to ask me how to best mix classical instruments (violins, piano) with break beats, this would be my answer.

Every bloody instrument in there was probably sampled, but still.

And now for something completely different...

The Baseballs are a bunch of crazy Germans who made one of the greatest albums (fittingly called 'Strike') I've had to pleasure to listen to in the last couple of weeks. It's filled entirely with covers of more or less recent pop songs by such artists as Beyonce, the White T's, Katy Perry and so on. "But Uncle Siege" you might ask, "what is so fantastic about a bunch of covers of miscellaneous pop songs? How could this possibly be awesome?" "Well" I shall answer, "do observe, if you please."

Okay, fess up: how long 'till you recognized what you were actually listening to?

Off naked Chatham show,
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Oh man, that was actually really awesome! Those guys are to pop music as Shaun of the Dead is to zombie movies - they do such a good job of parodying/playing with it, they actually end up making a really great example of it.

Which reminds me...

This guy goes by the name of The King. He's a professional Elvis impersonator, and a pretty good musician to boot.