THE MUZEEK THREAD!

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
speaker-to-trolls

Re: THE MUZEEK THREAD!

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

This is Adele, she is very popular at the moment and I'm sure most of you will have heard of her, this song hasn't been released as a single, though, so I feel like I'm at least going a little bit off the beaten track by recommending it. I really couldn't stand her when I first heard her, which was about 3 or 4 years ago, now I think she is marvellous, funny how things turn around like that.

"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

It was released as a single in The Netherlands :). Excellent choice though, that entire album is absolutely magnificent. I'm having a hard time picking a favourite song from it, and she even covered a Brandi Carlile song! In my opinion you can't really get much more awesome than that...
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Alright, we've been posting the stuff we've loudly proclaimed to be AWESOME for five pages now, so let's try something else for a bit. After all it's easy to link to the conventionally superb but we all know there's another class of songs, and it is a class that we all secretly like but would never like to admit to because it's not macho, because these songs are filled to the brim not with wailing guitars but are instead full of hairspray and eighties synth, 'cause they make manly man men shed a single emotive tear... For these or for whatever other reason these are the songs in the back of your record cabinet or in that super secret special folder you hope your mates won't see when they rummage through your playlists, the songs you know every word to but will never sing along to in polite company, the song you like to play REALLY LOUD but only when you know for a fact that the neighbors aren't home. You know what I'm talking about. It's time for Guilty Pleasures.

I'll start with a proper golden oldie:

It's not the worst of the eighties, but it's definitely slightly embarassing. But hey, it's damned catchy and I like it!
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Okay... How about Sixties songs?... Feminist girlie power sixties songs?

Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck. The Prince of the City, the Duke of Paducah, the Socrates of Saxophone, the Big Man himself, has died. Rest in peace, Clarence Clemons. Awesome right up to the end, when he performed with Lady Gaga on Hair and The Edge of Glory.

:( This sucks. Can't believe I'm going all teary over this, too.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Ye gods, talk about guilty pleasures. I just stumbled across this video:

Which is, like, total youth sentiment, man. That used to be the hottest shit in town back when Little Siege first started seriously paying attention to the radio. Lord almighty! And now I dig Anaïs Mitchell... I guess that some things do change after all.

Off naked Chatham show,
NoXion

Post by NoXion »

One of my friends introduced me to Colony 5 and I've fallen in love with them:

"We have the technology for destruction / Can we use that knowledge to survive?" - good question. One of my favourite songs.

In a similar vein:

"No truth without evidence / It’s easy to lie"
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Fuuuu...that has a beautiful vocal voice and beat. I love it already.

Edit: Forgot to to say thanks;

Thanks for sharing, NoXion!

EDIT EDIT: Checking Future lyrics...wait a minute....
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

My latest singer-crush:

"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Just saw these guys (or what's left of them, I suppose) live, and holy fuck if this doesn't haunt the shit out of me still. Weird thing is, it makes me feel home-sick for something I don't think I ever really experienced in the first place. Feckin' Irish...

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

It's a cover, but if she can do this when she's only fifteen... Damn son, wonder what she's like older...

Off naked Chatham show,
NoXion

Post by NoXion »

From a time when pop music was actually worth listening to:

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I'm pretty sure that's the most horrible thing I've heard recently :D.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

It seems inconceivable that I haven't paid any attention to a band made of the bassist from Led Zeppelin, the guitarist from Queens of the Stone Age and David Grohl, but apparently these things happen.

"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Okay guilty pleasure songs, huh?

Maximum aggravating factor: I haven't even watched the film.

EDIT: In restitution, a guilty pleasure song that isn't already a geek anthem:
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
NoXion

Post by NoXion »

I must say, the intro to this song is awesome, and I think it would be a good sound for a more grimdark portrayal of Nova Mundi:

Just imagine yourself in a landscape of ruins and rubble, darting from overhang to alcove, while above you twisted spires of raw steel pierce the heavens in their dull cloudy glory. You move quickly while exposed to the dusty sky, as being visible from the air brings death on shrieking wings. The ground has its dangers too, tormented roadways and the crumbling shells of buildings heaving and shifting with every stomach-thumping blast. But you have the element of surprise - those bastards aren't expecting your unit to make their move through this freshly nuked settlement...
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I'm sure having Natalie Portman and Johnny Depp feature in your video makes it instantly better by default, but this really is a very good video for a very good song. Sir Paul strikes again!

Off naked Chatham show,
NoXion

Post by NoXion »

This might be slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd post it here since I don't think this mini-rant-type-thing warrants starting a new thread, but...

...why, why why do people even bother listening to music on the tiny, tinny speakers on mobile phones and similar devices? No matter how much you crank up the volume or how well-built the little speakers are, you'll get nothing but a horrible ear-raping screechy mess. I'm pretty sure it's a matter of pure physics - a speaker below a certain dimension is going to sound like utter crap, because the the speaker itself is smaller than the wavelength of many of the sounds it's trying to reproduce (does that make sense?). Isn't that why sub-woofers are huge monoliths and tweeters are itty-bitty things that come in clusters?

I'll admit I'm biased. I'm very much a fan of the lower end of the sound scale - in fact, I'm of the opinion that a good bass sound is not only heard but also felt. Now that may be just a consequence of the kinds of music I listen to (mostly bass and beat-heavy, even the more chilled out stuff), but I'm going to be bold here and state that all music is best enjoyed when you can hear the full range of sounds involved , and when it doesn't sound like they're being carried over a bit of string into a repurposed tin can. But apparently I appear to be a minority in this opinion, since I see (and unfortunately, hear) people listening to all kinds of music through what I personally consider to be a particularly fiendish form of audio-based torture device.

I'd actually prefer it if people carried around boomboxes, for goodness' sake. If you must be so obnoxious in your listening habits, then please at least do it properly.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I'd actually prefer it if people carried around boomboxes, for goodness' sake. If you must be so obnoxious in your listening habits, then please at least do it properly.
I choked from the sheer hilarity of that quote. I shall use this for a siggy quote someday if I plan to change my signature. I'll be sure to quote you, of course.

As for tiny speakers, yes they suck and hurt my ear when people try to use them. The only tiny speaker I can really enjoy is the Ipad/Ipod, but then that's a whole different class of speakers anyway so I may be drifting.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

This one is just fun:

-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

-

Coming NEVER