THE MUZEEK THREAD!

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Artemis
Global Mod

Re: THE MUZEEK THREAD!

Post by Artemis »

Excuse the double post, but I was just telling my roommate about this song, and I want to share it with the rest of you.

Short version of the story: In the town of Waterloo, Iowa, a pleasant drive from where I lived the biggest chunk of my life, there lived five boys, the Sullivan Brothers. When Pearl Harbour happened and the U.S. entered World War II, the brothers joined up like every other god-fearing, corn-fed All-American boys. Now, by providence (or, as some say, an uncle or second cousin in the Department of the Navy) would have it, they were all assigned to the same ship, the USS Juneau. "If we couldn't be home, at least we were together." The USS Juneau was sunk. All five Sullivan Brothers died. Their mother was devastated Congress shortly after the war passed a law that siblings would not serve on the same ship or in the same unit together. Ever.

Reason I love this song: Take out the electric guitars. Take out the wailin' 90's vocals. Ignore the fact that the band's name is Caroline's Spine.

You've got a really good folk song.

One day, I'm going to kidnap a fiddle player and make him or her play this on their fiddle.
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

America, fuck yeah! Do I really need to explain how this just explodes into my awesomeness radar (aside from being one of the few MTV-banned videos). I shall listen to this as I write the further exploits of DASH HAVOC: AMERICAN SPACE HERO™

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

GODDAMN

I FINA-FUCKING-LY found the final duel music of For A Few Dollars More, which I have been looking for for quite some time. Most of the time I got the music that played where Indio kills that retired bounty killer in his own home, the one where we hear booming funeral DUN-DUN-DUN music rudely interrupting the chimes. I don't care for that music. The one I care for is the one playing in the epic confrontation between Indio and Colonel Douglas Mortimer (LEE VAN CLEEF), that intense moment underscored by sublime music as the two chimes play, as Clint Eastwood makes his intervention, and as the tide changes and Colonel Mortimer finally gets a chance at revengeance.

When the chimes end, pick up your gun. Go ahead and shoot me Colonel. Just try.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I think I'm in love:

"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

From the era of Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, and other treasured 90s awesome:

Robbie Williams - Millennium! Damn, that James Bond music is so awesome, and it's just a great fun song! :lol: :mrgreen:

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Ah, that takes me back, Robbie WIlliams can't sing but there's something to be said for his kind of performance.

Now for something completely different, here's celtic singer Loreena Mckennit (is it strange that 'celtic' is a type of music as well as a vague ethnocultural term? I think it's a bit strange) with a sung version of the Highwayman, a famous 19th century poem. It's beautiful, I'd heard the poem before but only in English lessons, e.g. the dullest way possible, and didn't appreciate it at all until hearing this version.
Favourite line:
You'll see me by the moonlight
Watch for me by the moonlight
I'll come to thee by the moonlight
Though Hell should bar the way.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Ha! Sweet, I used that song on the long-gone Westworlds soundtrack. I love Loreena, especially Bonny Portmore... However I won't link that, because I actually have a video that works really well with Highwayman. Y'see, the video of the Fleetwood Mac video Everywhere is actually based on the Highwayman poem! Behold!

(I actually spent like 15 minutes torturing my mind and putting random searches into YouTube until I remembered which song this video came with... I was oscillating between Eurythmics, Annie Lennox, and a bunch of completely different Fleetwood Mac songs... I think I need a hobby...)
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Shady

Post by Shady »

An awesome song. :D
It Is Better To Reign In Hell Than To Serve In Heaven!
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

The last Stargate: Universe episode reminded me of the existence of this song... And dear god it's good...

Off naked Chatham show,
Shady

Post by Shady »

I like it. 8-) And now, a little something from the Balkans.

Much of the appeal is in the lyrics, but I hope you like it anyway. :D
It Is Better To Reign In Hell Than To Serve In Heaven!
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

And now for something featuring Ronnie James Dio, who has passed away...

'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

I liked Spoon before it was cool.

If it was ever cool to like Spoon.

"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Siege, this one's for you:

Janelle Monae has come, Terminator-like, from the future to save pop music before it's too late.

@Invictus: Having just listened to that, I can assure you, it is cool to like Spoon.
"The universe's most essential beauty is its endlessness. There is room and resources enough for all of us. Whether there is room for all of our passions is the question, and the problem that we work tirelessly to find a solution to."

-Qhameio Allir Nlafahn, Commonwealth ambassador, during the signing of the Kriolon Treaty.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I think I've fallen in love with that organ riff. That's brilliant.

Off naked Chatham show,
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

So Janelle Monae was her name. Alright, didn't know that. Thanks!

I like the beat to it. And I agree with Siege. The Organ sound groovy.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

To the gods of musical diversity, I offer Fiction Plane:

In case you're thinking "well gosh darn it, that voice sounds so familiar", the singer of Fiction Plane is Joe Sumner, son of Gordon Sumner... Who is more famously known as Sting. And anyone familiar with the music of The Police will recognize the style Sumner Junior has going on, but I like it all the more for that. An updated Police? Hell yes.

Off naked Chatham show,
speaker-to-trolls

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

I recently discovered this while idly going through AMVs, because I find many new songs by looking through AMV's for series I recognise, and have been kind of taken in by it, which is odd because I don't usually like rap in any of its forms, though it's possible I just haven't been listening to enough to hear anything good.
Decided to post an official video rather than an AMV because I do not want to lower the tone, I mean we are sophisticated men here, and above that sort of thing.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Artemis
Global Mod

Post by Artemis »

Always been a big Flobots fan, of that song in particular. That video is a nice pairing for it, too - not always a fan of that animation style, but it kinda fits the fever-pop feel of the song.

You've heard this song before. If you've ever been young and in love, then you've SANG this song before. You just might not have known it.

And now for something completely different. I have little to know idea what this is, only that I like it quite a lot. Might not be everyone's cup of java, though.

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

BEHOLD the musical genius of the Eastern Block:

Genius!

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

new iron maiden

[kermit]/flails[/kermit]

"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

From my first favorite band. My first favorite song was Livin La Vida Lova. Which, thinking about it now, is a real odd song to like at age 5. I didn't see the music video until much later.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Unfortunately I will forever hate Eiffel 65 and everyone involved with that band for that crime against musical taste, that most loathsome of all 1999 pop songs, the melodic equivalent of nails grating on a chalk board forever -- Blue (Da Ba Dee). That incomparable piece of everlasting crap is quite frankly one of only a handful of songs I've ever heard that I genuinely, truly, deeply hate with all the considerable hate my heart of hearts can muster. I'm not joking or exaggerating: just the thought of that miserable excuse for a song stirs vast reservoirs of loathing. If I could erase just one track from the history of music (and I use that word loosely), it's exceedingly likely I'd pick that one.

Off naked Chatham show,
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

It totally fits Heretic, though. :)
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Ah, Siege, does that mean you hate me too? :cry:

Well, Eiffel 65 in my opinion was what got me into music in the first place. Most of the songs were drooling on and on and on with beats and voices I didn't care about, except Livin La Vida Loca. I disregarded MJ, Beatles, Elvis, everyone. Music? Humbag!Then I heard Move your Body by some awesome band. It had a nice beat. It didn't have soft medleys that I can sleep on. It made me bounce. I found out who the band was, and bought one of their CDs (it had Blue, which in my opinion isn't bad at all) and got the taste for them. Then, various other bands (mostly techno at first) came into me, and gradually I became a fan of many other music. Must mostly Power Metal, strong and true.

I guess it's just because the music is happy and optimistic!
-Joseph Campbell
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

The Complete History Of The Soviet Union, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris

-

Coming NEVER