Games!

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Siege
Site Admin

Re: Games!

Post by Siege »

WatchDogs is free on uPlay right now, and I'm glad I never paid money for it. Fifteen minutes and it's already the same old carchase with clunky-ass driving / do fetchquests to unlock the world / cool skills locked behind layers of boring crap / we don't explain the mechanics of our own game bullshit that I got tired of after GTA 3. No thanks, I'll stick to something more fun.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Steve

Post by Steve »

So Ace Combat 7 is out. I know a few people here have used Ace Combat-related material in memes and stories before, so I was curious if anyone was playing it or considering getting it.
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Mobius 1 will be getting it for sure bit I don't think he checks the forums anymore.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Booted Vulture wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:33 pm Mobius 1 will be getting it for sure bit I don't think he checks the forums anymore.
I can see him on facebook and believe me he's very hype.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Steve

Post by Steve »

I hope he still is after those missions. This game is, hrm... unforgiving. I will go with that. The time limits are tight and it will punish you if you are an imprecise flier or try to run missions without the proper equipment. And they love to throw challenges at you, like adding searchlights to the "fly through a valley or instant-failure" mission, or having to track ground targets that appear only momentarily at long range due to a dust storm. Or going after air and ground targets while in a thunderstorm and getting struck by lightning at times.

The fun thing is that the campaign and multiplayer share the aircraft tree, so you can spend all your time running multiplayer matches and earn resources to buy new aircraft. You can literally fly into the first mission with an F-22 if you do nothing but multiplayer until you buy your way to it.
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Steve

Post by Steve »

Kingdom Hearts 3 is out. 'nuff said. 8-)

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Steve wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 am Kingdom Hearts 3 is out. 'nuff said. 8-)

:lol:

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Terminator Resistance is enjoyable, at least for this big fan of the duology, it services fans well and handles the old material right (attention to detail like the sounds, obscure Skynet machines like the Silverfish). Game runs like it is from a few gens ago but no biggie IMO especially considering the studio was doing its best with a shoestring budget. I'm pleasantly surprised by the side plots of the seemingly generic side-characters, sometimes it got a bit Cormac McCarthy-ish.

My nitpicks are, I don't want another special but ironically generico protagonist (another American soldierino who will change the tide plus time travel subplot), I'd prefer just an average Resistance soldier with no special destiny, preferably from the third world which in the T1 and T2 fluff did comprise most of the Resistance because those parts got underlooked in the initial (Russia-US) nuclear exchange that decimated the leading military powers.

Another would be, while the T-800s are fucking lethal and in close to medium range engaging one usually results in a very swift death (sniping is different) and this is appreciated, I don't like how they later form the main infantry (and their AI is pretty dumb).

This is nitpicky but like in the fluff, IIRC, the Resistance initially encountered the T-800s as a new form of infiltrator, harder to spot with the fleshy covering, they did not initially see naked T-800 endoskeletons, IIRC this occurred only in the ending parts of the war when in desperation Skynet had to unload everything it had to defend itself, as seen in the T2 intro.

Older dumber Terminators, like the T-600s and others could have composed the main infantry, still physically hard to kill but with an excusable lack of intelligence (I appreciate how dialogue alludes to earlier ones with rubber skin). T-600s with decaying rubber skin and "off" proportions/movements would look awesome like in Terminator Salvation.

T-800s, Infiltrators with skin or endoskeletons, should be rare treats - like mini-bosses or something. The game does have a plot-significant Infiltrator out there stalking your character and it is portrayed as savvier and more lethal than the naked endoskeleton, and is the closest thing to a boss thus far. The Infiltrator is portrayed as something new and a big deal. But I am kind of annoyed that this tougher one is labeled as a T-850, since in Kyle Reese's timeline T-800s were supposed to be the newer deadlier sneakier cyborgs. (I know Arnold in Terminator 3 portrayed a "T-850" but that's a different timeline and there the 850s are not just sturdier but have highly explosive reactors, maybe useful when units get taken down so they can vaporize everyone else with them)

I guess the mook AI can be explained by Skynet inputting different commands and settings to T-800s, ones with special missions rather than average infantry duty can be cannier - T2 canon does specify T-800s can be switched to read only or read-write where intelligence grows.

In the novelization the sheer advanced-ness of the T-1000 was something Skynet itself was unsure of, because it was possible that the T-1000s' intelligence would surpass it or make it hard to control, and Skynet only used it as a last resort.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD