Official Movie Review Thread

For the talkin' of jibba jabba.
Siege
Site Admin

Re: Official Movie Review Thread

Post by Siege »

I know what you mean. It's an epic ride with a lot of jaw-dropping moments, but it felt a little more difficult to follow along all the separate plot threads once the story got going. It felt less seemless than Infinity War. And I'm not entirely sure about the decisions surrounding Captain America and Thor either. For Thor I think they tried to ride the joke beyond its best-by-date and I can't shake the thought that it would be better to just have Captain America vanish and leave it a mystery to our remaining heroes what happened to him.

Everything and everyone else though I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll be very interested to see where they go from here - I guess they now have another decade to build up new heroes and a new story.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I thoroughly enjoyed it!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Steve

Post by Steve »

As did I. And it'll be interesting to see where they go with the franchise from here. Endgame's success is both good and bad: good in that it shows the depth of support for the MCU, bad in that it might tempt them to make lightning strike twice instead of, say, shifting the formula a bit. And since not every Avengers movie can be like this one, it's almost inevitable people will feel let down by whatever comes next (presumably we won't find out more about their plans until ComiCon).
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Moderator of SDN, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

I've seen a surprising number of people say how they're not interested in any of the characters left and have no interest in any more movies which seems odd to me.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Booted Vulture wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:23 pm I've seen a surprising number of people say how they're not interested in any of the characters left and have no interest in any more movies which seems odd to me.
That's because the remaining have less Badass White Mengs and y'know...

Detective Pikachu was preposterous and great. Ryan Gosling is really great at these noir-style flicks. Just like in Blade Runner 2049 and Only God Forgives.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

No Time To Die
The Daniel Craig movies are all on Amazon Prime at the moment so I watched this with my family yesterday.

Holy shit is it long and feel it. Appropriate enough for the Craig movie, which have been relatively continuity heavy for Bond it is a very definite end to his five movie series.

It's good I like it better than Spectre for sure, but it does depend very much on caring about certain returning characters and... I really don't sadly. Especially the first of this film, the reoccuring main bond girl.

Sill the secondary bond girls are two extremely badass spy girls neither of which sleep with Bond or die which is a nice advance for the story. There's lots and lots of action. A gadget car and watch without being snide about it and they do give the tradition catch phrases and one post mortem one liner which is groan inducingly good.

The central plot is pretty dodgy to me and as I say I'm not invested in Bond's relationship but it was overall a solid conclusion to his series.

-

I do wonder if we're allowed to go back to silly fun back to formula Bond movies with the next reboot though.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!